• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
This thread is so thirsty for PS5 specs and I can't stop reading just incase a new rumour or leak happens. 2+ months is just too far away for the official announcement.

tumblr_inline_nrubnxlfS31s4t8w0_1280.png

Mark will save us!

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
They've said that? They actually considered HBM2 which was ~250$ for 12GB in 2017? Well, I'm pretty sure ESRAM + DDR3 is pretty different access pattern than a unified pool of GDDR5 so I'm sure that if they want to change the memory setup in 2023, they will manage :)

Two pools of memory actually used for games that one of them is HBM2 (like the 8GB HBM2 + whatever amount of DDR4 proposal) will result in more die space wasted and probably lower speeds and higher developer hassle than a unified GDDR6 pool.

I agree.

Again with HBCC this is fully transparent if the faster pool of RAM have enough place to not be a bottleneck.

I think 8GB is enough because it is enough for PC for the moment and when game engine will be tailored for fast SSD fast the need of fast RAM will not increase. The dangerous part is cross gen games. You need enough fast RAM to not be a handicap.

Sunlight

Apr 22, 2019
I'm on the other side of the fence. I think you go 16GB of HBM2 and 4GB of LPDDR4 if you're going to commit to HBM. Then, you decouple the need for shared memory space in gaming workloads. The OS can live in the LPDDR4 and when you go on low power standby, you can live entirely in the LPDDR4. Managed by some sort of off-chip Southbridge-like device as seen on the PS4 Pro.
They need 8GB DDR4.

5GB for CPU and 3GB for OS/PS store apps.. and so on.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Not wishing to defend them, but if you look at the posts that they're responding to, they're not exactly any better than his/hers. Fact is there's a bunch of obnoxious fanboys on both 'sides' that ideally would be culled as soon as they're discovered. Unfortunately that just doesn't happen.

Want to point out these posts that are allegedly just as bad as signal boosting an actually-insane alt-right conspiracy theorist?

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
Again with HBCC this is fully transparent if the faster pool of RAM have enough place to not be a bottleneck.

I think 8GB is enough because it is enough for PC for the moment and when game engine will be tailored for fast SSD fast the need of fast RAM will not increase. The dangerous part is cross gen games. You need enough fast RAM to not be an handicap.
8GB might be enough, but if it's enough then 16GB of GDDR6 is more than enough and will cost them less, give them a more standard straightforward setup and will make developer life easier. HBCC is nice in order to reduce stutters on PC because reading pages from RAM is faster than the HDD, but no console developer will make a game where he doesn't know how fast the engine can access certain data. I mean it could be on a 500GB/s+ HBM2 or on the 100GB/s DDR4, if the system manages that for them then they don't have control. It's fine on PCs, not on consoles.

All I'm saying is that we are going through crazy hoops in order to build a weird setup that wasn't even created for gaming GPUs just so we can use the cool buzz word "HBM" which doesn't even benefit gaming machines much in the age of GDDR6.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
8GB might be enough, but if it's enough then 16GB of GDDR6 is more than enough and will cost them less, give them a more standard straightforward setup and will make developer life easier. HBCC is nice in order to reduce stutters on PC because reading pages from RAM is faster than the HDD, but no console developer will make a game where he doesn't know how fast the engine can access certain data. I mean it could be on a 500GB/s+ HBM2 or on the 100GB/s DDR4, if the system manages that for them then they don't have control. It's fine on PCs, not on consoles.

All I'm saying is that we are going through crazy hoops in order to build a weird setup that wasn't even created for gaming GPUs just so we can use the cool buzz word "HBM" which doesn't even benefit gaming machines much in the age of GDDR6.

Again I doubt it is difficult to separate the data needed by the GPU or the CPU in HBCC it is done by the controller.

And it is not a crazy setup, the goal is to have a fast bandwidth and be cost effective. Depending of the speed of GDDR6 I think the setup I imagined is cheapest at launch and the gap will increase after 2 to 3 yeast. The simplest things will be to take 16 GB of HBM2 4 stacks more expensive than 16 GB of GDDR6

Last edited:

Sunlight

Apr 22, 2019
8GB might be enough, but if it's enough then 16GB of GDDR6 is more than enough and will cost them less, give them a more standard straightforward setup and will make developer life easier.
Do we have any information about the cost of manufacturing HBM2E??? Sony had great deals with RAM manufacturers for PS4.

ImaginaShawn

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is it true that stacking HBM on an APU could cause thernal problems?

The downside of the dense integration of memory die in HBM is that they can overheat, and so the devices contain a catastrophic temperature sensor output, which trips to stop permanent damage.

With the PS5 already clocked @ 2ghz for the GPU using HBM would be foolish.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
Last edited:

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
Again I doubt it is difficult to separate the data needed by the GPU or the CPU in HBCC it is done by the controller.

And it is not a crazy setup, the goal is to have a fast bandwidth and be cost effective. Depending of the speed of GDDR6 I think the setup I imagined is cheapest at launch and the gap will increase after 2 to 3 yeast. The simplest things will be to take 16 GB of HBM2 4 stacks a bit more expensive than 16 GB of GDDR6
The simplest for both the console maker and developers and the cheapest setup today is X amount of unified GDDR6 memory. What will be the case in 2023? Who knows.

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
This is maybe the reason they will cool on the two sides of the die like it looks like is the case on Prospero devkit.
I honestly have no idea how to tackle the challenge of HBM and a high clocked SOC in a small form factor with just air cooling, all what I wanted was to introduce the challenge such an approach would come with into the discussion. In a server environment you would just liquid cool that thing. Challenge solved.

I personally think that coupling HBM with a very high clocked SOC is a bad idea for the reasons I explained.

Last edited:

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
on which, MCM or HBM on I/O die?

I think it's possible for the first, and yeah, no idea on the latter.
HBM on I/O die is a MCM approach like the Zen 2 CPUs. the Communication takes place via Infinity Fabric or a similar technology and I think you would lose some advantages of HBM if you have something like Infinity Fabric between memory and the cores as a bottleneck.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
HBM on I/O die is a MCM approach like the Zen 2 CPUs. the Communication takes place via Infinity Fabric or a similar technology and I think you would lose many advantages of HBM if you have something like Infinity Fabric between memory and the cores as a bottleneck.
Thanks! I've been wondering about that.

I've read this one on cooling stacked memory at least, but maybe this is only for server based CPUs.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
If they are using HBM I assume it will be implemented like with Vega?

Image_02S.jpg

I agree about a further increase of heat from this vs GDDR6, Colbert. It would add ~20W to an already 150-200W APU. The Sony heatsink patent then might come in handy.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cerny reading this thread:

jordan.jpg
Lol. Cerny Be like

tenor.gif

He clearly has no idea how to solve the challenge of stacking hbm2 on a die. What a fool designing his entire console around it. Now that hbm2 is finally affordable he's got his hbm2 and 700 gbps bandwidth but is stuck with an 8 tflops gpu because cooling is not his forte.

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been actually thinking more about the I/O. Cerny talked about it, Ybarra said it's a fact that Sony's solution is better than what PC has and I wonder if that's the 'secret sauce'.

Finding out that I/O doesnt scale well to 7nm made me more fascinated too... which is why I've been thinking about a separate die, which apparently AMD thought as well would happen in 2013 on the slide I posted a few pages back.

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
If they are using HBM I assume it will be implemented like with Vega?

Image_02S.jpg

I agree about a further increase of heat from this vs GDDR6, Colbert. It would add ~20W to an already 150-200W APU. The Sony heatsink patent then might come in handy.
This is 2.5D stacking. Isn't the patent you talking about based on 3D stacking? I can't remember.
Edit: it is not 3D stacking based but after have seen the patent it remains to be a challenge.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
We had discussions before about how anything above 8-10TF wasn't feasible because of heat and things of that nature....and here we are with consoles in the 12-13TF range.

We just lack way too much information on how the consoles are being constructed to completely rule anything out. We don't know about patents, deals with manufacturers, how parts of the console impact other parts, how the tech that has already been announced will be refined by launch next year, etc.. This is another reason why I'm ardent about HBM. It would just fall in line with all the other "impossible" happenings up to this point.

Aug 26, 2019
Lol. Cerny Be like

tenor.gif

He clearly has no idea how to solve the challenge of stacking hbm2 on a die. What a fool designing his entire console around it. Now that hbm2 is finally affordable he's got his hbm2 and 700 gbps bandwidth but is stuck with an 8 tflops gpu because cooling is not his forte.
Cerny about to get that high-bandwidth ass-whooping from Jimmy Ryan

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
But people like MisterXmedia or whatever might be right...

Honestly, with posts like these:

How are you still around?
Lol good detective work. Sometimes people need to stay quiet and they can keep their trolling fanboy account unexposed, the Cardinal rule for these guys, but sometimes people just need to put targets on themselves

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
You all realise that even an 8TF PS5 when combined with a modern CPU and SSD will still be a more than capable console yeah?

As in it will still be capable of 4K60?

What does this have anything to do with you said before or what I quote you on?

Obviously both will very capable machines, so that's why your insistence on the baseless narrative that the PS5 will be hurt because it was almost ready (sic) to launch in 2019 is just bizzarre, as it won't affect the Series X in any way.

And again, no need to "fucking lol" at people for speculating what RAM configuration the PS5 will end up having. What a stark comparison with DrKeo's and Chris1515's posts debating said subject from opposed, but respectful, points of view.

Last edited:

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
This is 2.5D stacking. Isn't the patent you talking about based on 3D stacking? I can't remember.

Probably yes, but in either case the HBM chips will be within the 2 inch square SoC package? If I was to guess I would say OG PS4 SoC package TDP was ~75-100W, Pro ~125W and now PS5 >200W? What sort of cooling do >200W TDP CPUs in the PC space need to cool them?

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love the idea of HBM. It seems to be mid gen upgrade friendly, and other than price it looks like a good alternative for GDDR6 RAM. Still I was thinking that maybe the RAM isn't MS and Sony's focus. They've seen where game development could benefit more and the main focus is on something else. With Sony we know it's the SSD.

Also fits with Cerny's modus operandi of making something easy to develop, but hard to master. Think multiplatform games would be fine with 12-16 GB RAM for gaming for the next 2, 3 years. After that we will see them finally taking advantage of the SSD (which is probably why Sony decides to focus on making it as fast to access as possible).

Much like compute was, that made something like Spider-man possible on an OG PS4.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
We had discussions before about how anything above 8-10TF wasn't feasible because of heat and things of that nature....and here we are with consoles in the 12-13TF range.

We just lack way too much information on how the consoles are being constructed to completely rule anything out. We don't know about patents, deals with manufacturers, how parts of the console impact other parts, how the tech that has already been announced will be refined by launch next year, etc.. This is another reason why I'm ardent about HBM. It would just fall in line with all the other "impossible" happenings up to this point.

We had this discussions about everything truth be told and it would be fun to add another one to the wrong side.
Only 2 more months to find out what they doing .

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
Imagine if Sony will not do reveal a PS5 reveal early in the year. I think that's a possibility.

Sunlight

Apr 22, 2019
In this scenario, the CPU and GPU share the 16GB for gaming. A 4GB separate pool makes sense, and it doesn't need to be desktop grade DDR4. All you're doing there is necessitating a whole other memory controller on your precious APU silicon die area.
GPU has full 16GB HBM2E and 5GB DDR4 for CPU.

Having memory shared may cause bandwidth decreasing like PS4.

Status
Not open for further replies.