• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone explain exactly RDNA2 likelihood in next-gen consoles? Isn't it too late to implement into something thats going to be large-scale manufactured shortly?

Nov 11, 2017
Have you seen Colbert's chart? Have you seen Klobrille's drive by posts? Have you seen the over arching theory that PlayStation is consigned to 2018 technology because they foolishly started earlier?
Klobrille? Colbert? I just checked both them have less than 20 post in this thread the last 3 weeks combined. Not sure why you're fixated with the vocal minority, when the large majority of this thread has been overwhelming optimistic. A large majority of the discussion surrounding this thread for the ps5 has been 13tf, 24gddr, hbm2, 5gbps ssd etc.

Last edited:

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Temper you enthusiasm. I've watched every Sony CES for the past 5 years and they are almost always about the updates to things like cameras, soundbars, televisions, etc. There is a passing mention of PlayStation and Sony pictures.
The reveal event will be dedicated, not hosted in another one like MS did (for good reasons).

Than a worldwide marketing bulldozer until and month after the release.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
Yeah. Also take the comments from Ryan into account, paraphrase "we're gonna move people to PS5 faster than any other generation shift." How will that ever happen if the console is $499 at launch? It's so close to a reveal, yet way too far ahead in the future. This is making me go crazy.

What if there's 8-10tf PS5 for 399€, and 12-13tf Pro model for 499€?

inpHilltr8r

Oct 27, 2017
team-lockhart-is-a-blade

only needs 1080p because that's all they're going to stream

no lockhart consumer box

later because xcloud upgrade is a happening after xsex launch

is my current working speculative theory

otherwise I can't explain a weaker and later box

just does not make sense

but bill is not my daddy

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Still racking my mind over what Gonzalo and Flute is. I know it's not an IO die, because Ariel is most likely monolithic from the PCI ID.

God knows about Oberon. There's an easy to follow timeline though...

January 2019 - Tum_Apisak leaks out the 1ghz Gonzalo
10th April 2019 - Tum_Apisak leaks out the 1.8Ghz Gonzalo
16th April 2019 - Wired article on the PS5 came out. We suspect because devkits are starting to come out.
June to August 2019 - A leaker starts to feed info to Gizmodo about a devkit called Prospero
July 2019 - Tum_Apisak leaks out thst Gonzalo managed 20000 in the firestrike benchmark
August 2019 - Komachi leaks out Oberon's clocks... that is in its A0 silicon revision (and it still kept getting tested and revised for 2 months or so)

Of course, Oberon could onky be a codename switch for the final version of PS5 but...

It may be a different chip altogether.

Last edited:

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
It's most likely that both of them are using RDNA architecture GPUs with features ported from RDNA2.
Okay that makes more sense. And we definitely don't have any inkling of what said features would be right? Not sure if theres been any specific talks regarding features from RDNA2 that will be present for the next gen consoles.

Nov 20, 2019
The problem of Lockhart, at least for third party devs, will be the rumored 12GB of memory instead of 16GB (respectively 9GB and 13GB for games). You can always reduce framerate and resolution with less CPU and less GPU (assuming both will have the same features).

But if devs don't have enough ram on Lockhart compared to Anaconda then they will reduce the details in order to their game run on both machines. Sure MS first party will optimize stuff, probably, but most third party devs won't.

I believe some of them already complained specifically about the memory pool size of Lockhart.
Exactly im not fond of lockhart and downgrades..

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
What I meant was people are arguing that the XSX is weaker in GPU, RAM and SSD and theres not much room for a good, clean conversation in a certain opposite direction

I think most people on the Sony camp are not talking about the Series X at all, but focused on the PS5.

As I said, we already know the Series X is 12TF RDNA, 16GB GDDR6, and 1TB SSD at 2GB/s, so what's to talk about it really, special from the point of view of someone interested on a PS5? I don't see too much of that.

What I see is people like Drift talking about the possibility of an HBM RAM solution for the PS5, Chris talking about a possible 1TB SSD at 5-6GB/s (or more), Aegon convinced it can reach 13-14TF, and some mix of those.

I'm on the 11.2TF-12.9TF, 5GB/s SSD, and maybe HMB2, maybe not. I think most people is on that camp.

Certainly not talking about the Series X being weaker, I think both will be virtually the same power, with PS5 having the faster SSD (which is what they've been focusing on on their PR).

I just wanna see the PS5 and it's specs, because it's the sku that me and all my friends will buy next gen, and specially the launch next gen exclusives

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Still racking my mind over what Gonzalo and Flute is. I know it's not an IO die, because Ariel is most likely monolithic from the PCI ID.

God knows about Oberon. There's an easy to follow timeline though...

January 2019 - Tum_Apisak leaks out the 1ghz Gonzalo
10th April 2019 - Tum_Apisak leaks out the 1.8Ghz Gonzalo
16th April 2019 - Wired article on the PS5 came out. We suspect because devkits are starting to come out.
June to August 2019 - A leaker starts to feed info to Gizmodo about a devkit called Prospero
July 2019 - Tum_Apisak leaks out thst Gonzalo managed 20000 in the firestrike benchmark
August 2019 - Komachi leaks out Oberon's clocks... that is in its A0 silicon revision (and it still kept getting tested and revised for 2 months or so)
Gonzalo is the APU, it has both the CPU and the GPU data

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
I think most people on the Sony camp are not talking about the Series X at all, but focused on the PS5.

As I said, we already know the Series X is 12TF RDNA, 16GB GDDR6, and 1TB SSD at 2GB/s, so what's to talk about it really, special from the point of view of someone interested on a PS5? I don't see too much of that.

What I see is people like Drift talking about the possibility of an HBM RAM solution for the PS5, Chris talking about a possible 1TB SSD at 5-6GB/s (or more), Aegon convinced it can reach 13-14TF, and some mix of those.

I'm on the 11.2TF-12.9TF, 5GB/s SSD, and maybe HMB2, maybe not. I think most people is on that camp.

Certainly not talking about the Series X being weaker, I think both will be virtually the same power, with PS5 having the faster SSD (which is what they've been focusing on on their PR).

I just wanna see the PS5 and it's specs, because it's the sku that me and all my friends will buy next gen, and specially the launch next gen exclusives
I'm totally with you on this.

xolsec

Feb 18, 2018

Amen. Even if the PS5 ends up at 7 TF for $399 I'm still getting it because I like Sony's first party games.

It's fun to speculate though.

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
This thread travels so bloody fast. Everyone is still chasing their tales and the only net positive in the last few weeks is the confirmation of a 12TF (Spencer - 2 x X1X) NAVI RDNA (Klee) Series X.

Only two minutes in and this is already frustrating to watch. Its good to see Richard admit he was completely off with his predictions but the signs were there from the beginning. He just chose to ignore them.

Basing your entire predictions on safe $399 and $499 Kinect consoles and then using made for profit mid gen consoles is simply bizarre. Especially after the first wired article which revealed an advanced console that simply couldn't be $399.... In bom, let alone retail cost.

At least he's admitting he got it wrong but he spent the last 8 months downplaying next gen specs when as the biggest tech journo in the industry he simply should've known better.
I also struggle to understand how someone so intimately connected to the industry can be so passive about advances in technology or amazing engineering techniques. Colbert would fit right in i.e. there doesn't seem to be an appetite from either party for powerful console hardware. This generation was a bust but previous generations, especially PlayStation, hadn't shy'd away from exotic architectures or unique engineering techniques.

It about time Microsoft and Sony returned to bold execution.

From what I understand the consensus is both next-generation consoles will be very close so I find it disturbing how Colbert suggests PlayStation 5 will be relatively under-powered. Any particular reason he views the range for PlayStation 5 so low when Microsoft can achieve higher results?

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Lockhart is necessary for the market to grow next gen.

Ask any casual if they'd drop £450 on a console and most would prefer to hold off buying until 1-3 years later. That's how it has been with everyone i've mentioned it to, i'd rather it didn't exist but it's needed.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
From what I understand the consensus is both next-generation consoles will be very close so I find it disturbing how Colbert suggests PlayStation 5 will be relatively under-powered. Any particular reason he views the range for PlayStation 5 so low when Microsoft can achieve higher results?

If one is charitable, one could assume there are reasons based on the sizes of the respective companies. Personally, I think Colbert, prefers Microsoft's ecosystem more than Sony's and that affects these things. He or she is human like the rest of us.

KOHIPEET

Oct 29, 2017
Are we thinking that the PS5 reveal will have the same format as the PS Meeting in 2013? I would hope so, but I could also see Sony trying something different.
Well, I do think they chose Wired because they thought they can reach more people that way. Perhaps they'll change the format for the unveil aswell. (an unveil at CES is unlikely though.)

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Lockhart is necessary for the market to grow next gen.

Ask any casual if they'd drop £450 on a console and most would prefer to hold off buying until 1-3 years later. That's how it has been with everyone i've mentioned it to, i'd rather it didn't exist but it's needed.
A digital only console?

STech

Sep 24, 2018
Do you think DS5 is going to be like the leaked patent?, wouldn't it be really stupid to have such a huge neglect when they are controlling every piece on information about PS5?

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
You have the PC fans who think no console could ever match a decent gaming PC, you have the MS fans who think Sony could never make a console that can match the next Xbox, and you have the Sony fans who think MS doesn't really know what they're doing with gaming and don't really care.

The truth is (probably) that both consoles will be very evenly matched and will outdo all but the best gaming PCs at release all things considered (but PCs will catch up and speed past quickly if you've got the cash to spare). Gonna be a great time to be a console gamer!

Oh these consoles will align more to the 360 and PS3 where they will outpace mid to "high" end PCs for close to 6 months or so. Which is incredible for the price we'll be paying for them.

We'll never again see a console like the OG Xbox which basically outpaced PCs almost it's entire (short) life span. Microsoft BLED on that thing. Hard. It had an Intel Pentium 3 equivalent and a dedicated nVidia GPU. Unfortunately we'll never see that again.

Regardless of my opinions of those predicting HBM in here (which is the only thing I personally find unrealistic), I've maintained the entire way that the difference between these two consoles will be negligible on screen. Even from a DF perspective.

Like DF threads will be "boring" next generation. The differences will come in the form of shadow resolutions, LOD far in the distance and other shit 95% of people don't notice.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Like DF threads will be "boring" next generation. The differences will come in the form of shadow resolutions, LOD far in the distance and other shit 95% of people don't notice.

DF threads will still be good if you looking for tech \engine breaks down and looking for the new stuff next gen going to bring .
If you look for the VS aspects yeah i guess it will be boring to some.

Oct 27, 2017
Florida

You don't really believe this do you? Sony fanboys are being great citizens sitting around with their legs crossed engaged in adult conversation while their XBOX brethren just foam at the mouth like unwashed savages LOL 😂

Fanboys from both sides are spinning tall tales about their console.

Euron

Oct 27, 2017
I was thinking about making a thread but it's probably better here: Outside of the usual yearly releases, do we have any idea of what the PS5 launch lineup will look like?

This was pretty much prompted by the Schreier tweet on Bluepoint making a Demons Souls remake, which I imagine will be for launch. Guerilla is definitely working on Horizon 2 but will that be ready for launch? Are cross gen versions of TLOU2 and GoT necessary given the PS4 backwards compatibility?

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
You don't really believe this do you? Sony fanboys are being great citizens sitting around with their legs crossed engaged in adult conversation while their XBOX brethren just foam at the mouth like unwashed savages LOL 😂

Fanboys from both sides are spinning tall tales about their console.

I think people are just frothing at the mouth for leaks period.........like me......

giphy.gif

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Have people just forgotten about all the Wired stuff? Like, we know a lot about PS5 already, outside of specific hardware specifications.

Status
Not open for further replies.