• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
What puzzles me more is how Sony is hoping to achieve next gen VR with this design? Is it enough for a full leap? Presuming the rumors are true.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
right. this lines up with what cerny said. a dedicated hardware for rt. it does not invalidate the oberon leaks from yesterday.

It won't since it's a separate chip .
Cerny words were There is ray-tracing acceleration in the GPU hardware .
So you saying the integrate the chip into the GPU part of the APU .
These are there latest chips.

Mind you all i finding on them is for lower power stuff like mobile for eg .

Psyrgery

Nov 7, 2017
Welp, not buying it anyway.

Klee, schreier both said that both consoles were pretty close performance-wise. Devs confirmed Ps5 was a bit more powerful than Xsx. And the 13 Tflops rumour back in June

I just doesnt make sense

Crazy_KiD_169

Jun 21, 2018
I think Reiner misinterpreted his source, that same day matt "guessed" xbox would be stronger

you are clearly a person who just ignores anything about the ps5 having better hardware. And latch on to less reliable information to fit your bias. This hardware leak is clearly an old dev kit since Cerny officially confirmed hardware ray tracing on the gpu. I don't get what's the point of wanting any of the Two consoles to be much weaker. People should want the baseline to be as high as it can be.

PrimeRib

Nov 16, 2017
Someone commented a few pages back (this thread moves VERY fast!) that these recent sub 10-TF parts may be attributed to Sony devising a two console strategy. I didn't think it made sense before but if they truly solidified a hardware strategy (CU/frequency) to mimic BC support for older gen PS games, and if the cost to produce these new systems (Navi-based designs) is more cost effective than to keep the existing manufacturing processes (eliminating PS4/PS4 Pro SKUs) .... it starts to make sense.

Imagine: a similar Lockhart strategy for Sony: one that will play all current/past gen games at 1080p vs. an eye melting version that runs 4K w RT.

CosmicBolt

Self-Requested Ban
Oct 28, 2017
These were just internal AMD tests lol.

Now until the official unveils of both consoles, I'm just going to assume both consoles are ~12 RDNA TF and both equally powerful :)

Heel

Oct 25, 2017
This might be old, but a updated patent for was filed yesterday.

Could be the Dualshock 5, could be a Dualshock 4 revision?

https://patentscope.wipo.int/search/en/detail.jsf?docId=WO2019244995&tab=FULLTEXT

Shows possible back buttons on the controller.

dk50o4YYgJHy1uwlCEYv4XwE7qGWg4ctIMcOt3T9BWFiUFLxnHQ08K8ab-2wpB1Z--7ChznCG8HRDYSYp3MbLlX8B7rFUzz-c6BzcTBtfCAypKDgemnJileMC6qN1psic__A0l51QiP9YywPGk2F-AZrnMQvjy3JAYoNK_GP-Iw

A lot of jargon, but if I'm interpreting right the back buttons could essentially operate as two more analog triggers rather than just simple button reassignments.

The sensor 55 is a sensor (for example, a pressure-sensitive sensor) that outputs a signal corresponding to the amount of movement or the pressing force of the lower surface button 31.

Also some talk of them moving along an arc or defined guide, but tough to parse as a patent layman.

Deleted member 18951

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Someone commented a few pages back (this thread moves VERY fast!) that these recent sub 10-TF parts may be attributed to Sony devising a two console strategy. I didn't think it made sense before but if they truly solidified a hardware strategy (CU/frequency) to mimic BC support for older gen PS games, and if the cost to produce these new systems (Navi-based designs) is more cost effective than to keep the existing manufacturing processes (eliminating PS4/PS4 Pro SKUs) .... it starts to make sense.

Imagine: a similar Lockhart strategy for Sony: one that will play all current/past gen games at 1080p vs. an eye melting version that runs 4K w RT.

That sounds like a very smart solution...

Deleted member 2379

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The problem is that this box will be too powerful and expensive to hit that. Why do you want a $399 box to play 1080p when a less powerful one and much cheaper can do the same. You don' need 9tf Navi for 1080p

pharmboy044

Oct 27, 2017
If none of these "insiders" are to be believed, how do we know that Sony is holding a Playstation Meeting in February? What if we have to go through this back and forth until E3? ...........

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
If none of these "insiders" are to be believed, how do we know that Sony is holding a Playstation Meeting in February? What if we have to go through this back and forth until E3? ...........

People convinctived themselves that Sony will do the same thing like last time. There is absolutely no indication that PS Metting is happening in February or any other month for that matter at the moment.

Aug 26, 2019
People convinctived themselves that Sony will do the same thing like last time. There is absolutely no indication that PS Metting is happening in February or any other month for that matter at the moment.
Yes, you're correct. For all we know, there might not be a PS Meeting. They could reveal it in a video that releases in April or something. They could wait until E3. Or they could reveal it next month. We don't know.

PrimeRib

Nov 16, 2017
The problem is that this box will be too powerful and expensive to hit that. Why do you want a $399 box to play 1080p when a less powerful one and much cheaper can do the same. You don' need 9tf Navi for 1080p

If this is the strategy they opt for, I would highly doubt they'd ship the PS4/PS4 Pro replacement Navi console with a 9TF GPU - it would likely be very similar in spec to Lockhart, assuming the engineers did the math and a 4-6 TF RDNA GPU can do everything (and more) the PS4 Pro can do. Lower clocks should mean lower costs, hence, keep the two SKU's $200 apart in retail. Again, just speculation but filtering through the noise of the latest PS5 leaks doesn't make sense to compete against Microsoft high-end Series X, nor does it align with the E3. buzz and mentions of a "monster" design.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
I just read the last 10 pages, it's quite impressive that someone didn't post a random link saying PS5 was canceled or something like that.

Cerny said he wanted to make HW RT history clear because a lot of people were mentioning him on Twitter, so maybe it's time to start doing that again.

PrimeRib

Nov 16, 2017
The Sony doomsayers need to relax. I think both Sony and Microsoft next gen consoles will be beast-like upgrades to what we have now. There's no reason one has to be "weaker" in the traditional sense. We're over that cusp of reaching 4K native, it's really going to come down to which IP's do you want to play more of? Cannot. Wait. To. See. Next Gen Games. In. Action.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
This a general query because it happens every time someone tries to link to a post here but your link goes to page 85 of this thread but I can't see a Klee post on that page?
best open those links in an incongito window. People having different posts per page settings fucks up those types of post links.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
I think it stands to reason that they'd want to get something official out there before GDC since that's where all the PS4 Pro leaks came from and before their financial call on April 1st so they can talk more about future strategy.

Status
Not open for further replies.