• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
This is nonsense.

Cerny's statement is pretty clear. It's ray-tracing hardware. Almost certainly AMD's implementation.
Also, Matt already said that it does include RT HW.

So why are we doing this, again?
Because like just before the current gen, some are in denial of a probable and feared outcome so they prefer believe in pastebin and random tweeters than (ex) professionnal journalists, known and reliable for years insiders, or hardware designers.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I'll give him benefit of the doubt, but based on all the info we have collectively, it really does sound like Microsoft may, at a minimum, possibly have a more advanced or specialized hardware solution direct from AMD for ray tracing. Taken together with AMD's press release on Xbox Series X along with Microsoft's own press release, along with Microsoft's constant message about hardware ray tracing, that's the impression I come away with.

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2019/12/12/microsoft-unveils-xbox-series-x/

Sony hasn't come off quite as forthcoming in what they have on the hardware ray tracing front. I'm willing to believe Cerny when he says they have hardware ray tracing support, but it still seems as if we may not be getting the entire story. Is there any other example besides the one that people point to where Sony has talked about ray tracing? For example, in the wired article the only example cerny gives is one involving audio, nothing visual about lighting effects. In fact, his answers so far on hardware ray tracing come off a little evasive if I'm being honest. That isn't like Cerny who usually tends to go into detail about the kinds of things the hardware will be able to make possible, and he hasn't, not once, apparently gone into visual benefits of ray tracing? Only an audio example?

Take the observed confidence, for example, on their SSD solution, the same confidence cited by many users on this very forum as clear evidence that Sony must have a very advanced SSD solution (one that maybe tops what Microsoft has), and it is, quite frankly, night and day compared to what Sony has said about Ray Tracing, easily the most talked about and desired new feature in next gen consoles.

Either Sony has an entirely different hardware solution that isn't the same method AMD has gone with for RDNA2, something from an entirely different vendor, or they came up with their own hardware solution, or, the last option, they're doing ray tracing mostly via software and are just using parts of their GPU's non ray tracing specific components to help perform the operations, in other words the way you could always attempt ray tracing, but slower. You could always attempt ray tracing with existing hardware, it just wouldn't exactly produce results better than if you had specialized ray tracing hardware like what Nvidia has in their GPUs. It remains to be seen just how good AMD's ray tracing solution is also. It has to prove itself also.

Back to the possible software solution. There's a form of ray tracing even in Gears 5 currently (even on og Xbox One), as well as in some other titles. Same for VRS for example, I believe a COD title came up with their own software solution for that in their game engine, Infinite Warfare has it I think. So that time will come where Sony will get more specific about what they have going on. I highly doubt devs would waste resources on a possible slower software or shader based ray tracing solution, so this leads me to suspect that PS5, until Sony proves otherwise, possibly has no ray tracing hardware support, and will instead just blow our minds with what they can do on significantly more powerful hardware, the way their first parties always do.

I'm hoping the information dug up is outdated and not representative of the true final PS5 chip, but if this is the real thing, it's a safe bet it's not quite as advanced as the xbox series x chip. I do not believe Cerny's statements on ray tracing hardware support up to this point have been as definitive as they could have been, knowing his reputation for going into detail. He would have detailed examples by now. Why demo the SSD load, but not demo the most talked about next gen feature? Spider-Man with ray traced lighting active would have been a very nice thing to show off, and perhaps we'll get that or another title at the proper PS5 reveal.

lol, you're really reaching there bud and it's not a good look to be honest.

1. Cerny confirmed hardware raytracing built into the GPU. If you believe otherwise you're calling him a liar

2. Insiders like Matt and Klee have confirmed RT hardware

3. Godfall shows evidence of RT based on the small GIF we've got and the in-engine teaser

4. Other Sony devs like Polyphony have been working on RT for years now. It makes absolutely no sense for them to be doing that if there's no hardware that will support it.

5. After the first Wired article a Naughty Dog dev proclaimed it was hardware raytracing on Twitter before having to quickly walk that statement back because that was not information Sony had publicly discussed yet. If any team at Sony knows about the PS5's capability it's Naughty Dog.

That's just a few points off the top of my head, I'm sure there are plenty more pieces of evidence that others could cite. So yeah, it's got hardware RT.

Jul 13, 2018
So do folks arguing 12 TF GCN also insist Lockhart is 4 TF GCN too?
This is a very interesting question I've raised myself. It may very well be since our own Jason Schreier has heard it's similar in raw compute power to a PS4 Pro. Let's all be realistic for a second, a 4+ TF GPU paired with a Ryzen 8 core CPU and next-gen memory (let's say 12 GB GDDR6) would result in a fantastic 1080p/60fps machine. Price it at $299 and your average consumer would have a great (and affordable) entry point into next-gen.

Patent

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jul 2, 2018
North Carolina
We have AMD test leaks of Oberon/Ariel. Are you saying they're falsifications? If so I guess these months of speculation with those codenames, firestrike scores etc, was for nothing. I mean you could be right for sure. I lean towards Occam's Razor.
This is speculation,facts are irrefutable, I'm iffy on what this all means but to claim that this is a fact is just incorrect

severianb

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
6628.jpg

Boom

4TF GCN aint happening. That thing won't even be able to replicate X1X performance for BC and they definitely won't run BC etc in OG Xbox One mode on a new console.

It's 12TF RDNA
X1X is sold as a 4K machine. Lockheart won't be. Lockheart buyers will be perfectly fine with non-upgraded BC games and 1080P versions of 4K XSX games. If they cared that much, they would buy an XSX.

4TF GCN equivalent makes a lot of sense. That will be a *tiny* APU at 7nm.... and *that* is the biggest cost in a console. $299. Holiday season 2020.

Dread it. Run from it. 4TF Xbox Series S is inevitable.

Deleted member 45460

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 27, 2018
https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2019/12/12/microsoft-unveils-xbox-series-x/
"Powered by our custom-designed processor leveraging the latest Zen 2 and next generation RDNA architecture from our partners at AMD, Xbox Series X will deliver hardware accelerated ray tracing and a new level of performance never before seen in a console"

The thing is going to be NAVI, no idea why they would put GCN numbers out there to people in leaks. Their goal is 12 tflop navi and the form factor is needed for all that heat.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Would probably be fair to think that, by the time we get the PS5 reveal, we could pretty much write off all the OTs except for one of them.

professor_t

Oct 27, 2017
It seems like a possible outcome is that XSX has 12 GCN flops and PS5 has a little over 9 RDNA flops. That would explain why:

Insiders have said that both consoles are nearly identical in power (that wouldn't be quite the case if we were taking about 12 vs 9 RDNA flops)

MS is saying that the XSX gpu is twice as powerful as the One X gpu (if it were RDNA flops, why in the world would they undersell their next console)

I certainly want MS to be talking about RDNA flops, but I also don't want to set myself up for disappointment. I know Phil has referenced RDNA architecture, which could lead you to believe they're talking about RDNA flops, but I think they're comparing GCN apples to GCN apples because a) it sounds better than only increasing from 6 to 9-10 flops and b) it uses a known baseline.

If it were RDNA flops, I feel virtually positive that they would say it's MORE than twice as powerful than the One X gpu, which they have not, to my knowledge. Hate to be a buzzkill ...

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
PS5 under 10TF is junk... likely if it was to launch in 2019 but no way.

What makes 9.2TF "junk" but another 0.8TF extra suddenly "next gen"?

Honestly I don't think anyone here (including myself) knows the difference between 9TF and 10TF in real world performance and visuals, so I find it very silly that anything under 10TF is trash-tier when we've seen very impressive looking tech demos already on much less capable hardware.

AGE2019

May 5, 2019
Why is so hard for people here to understand that 12 tflops is NOT CONFIRMED?

It is a target spec. can be 10.8, 11.2, 11.5 or even 12 but it is not confirmed.

Same for RDNA2, to be RDNA2 need to be 7nm+ and we don't have confirmation on that.

We know it will be RDNA arch maybe rdna1 with rdna2 features on 7nm

So top making things that are not official like it is. Wait for official specs and stop saying we have confirmation we don't. We have speculation.

The XSX being 12 TF's is all but confirmed.
DF who incorrectly started the rumors that it could be GCN TF's already published a retraction on that article and now have a new article stating that it is expected to be 12 RDNA TF's.
Game Spot who interviewed Phil Spencer have XSX listed as 12 TF's.
Windows Central who have real MS insiders has it listed at 12 RDNA TF's
Tom Warren another insider has it as 12 RDNA TF's.
Phil Spencer stated when using Math the GPU is 2 times the XB1X.
The only math you can use is TF's and that is what MS used when hyping XB1X. 6 x 2 = 12 TF's people can't change the rules and say its equal to GCN TF's. That would be an out right blatant lie. TFs are TF's.

The rumors for XSX possibly being RDNA2 stem from the fact MS has stated it has hardware Ray Tracing and VRS. Both features that are exclusive to RDNA2 hardware as far as AMD is concerned.

People just can't accept that MS have most likely hit a home run with the XSX hardware.

BOT Zé

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It seems like a possible outcome is that XSX has 12 GCN flops and PS5 has a little over 9 RDNA flops. That would explain why:

Insiders have said that both consoles are nearly identical in power (that wouldn't be quite the case if we were taking about 12 vs 9 RDNA flops)

MS is saying that the XSX gpu is twice as powerful as the One X gpu (if it were RDNA flops, why in the world would they undersell their next console)

I certainly want MS to be talking about RDNA flops, but I also don't want to set myself up for disappointment. I know Phil has referenced RDNA architecture, which could lead you to believe they're talking about RDNA flops, but I think they're comparing GCN apples to GCN apples because a) it sounds better than only increasing from 6 to 9-10 flops and b) it uses a known baseline.

If it were RDNA flops, I feel virtually positive that they would say it's MORE than twice as powerful than the One X gpu, which they have not, to my knowledge. Hate to be a buzzkill ...

What is PS5 is 9.2 TF GCN? :O

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
What makes 9.2TF "junk" but another 0.8TF extra suddenly "next gen"?

Honestly I don't think anyone here (including myself) knows the difference between 9TF and 10TF in real world performance and visuals, so I find it very silly that anything under 10TF is trash-tier when we've seen very impressive looking tech demos already on much less capable hardware.

What I meant by 'junk' is that Sony will give up almost 3TF to XsX? I don't think so.

Deleted member 45460

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 27, 2018

MS states it is RDNA on their OWN WEBSITE

Angst

Oct 27, 2017

This is pretty much whwew I'm at. But personally even if it's GCN hell blade looks great regardless.

Kibbles

Oct 25, 2017
People are ridiculous. Flops are flops. The RDNA architecture is 1.25x more efficient but that doesn't change how flops are calculated. It's Navi 12TF, by the numbers if you do the math as Phil said, twice as powerful as X1X, but will perform more than we are used to with that number due to the efficiency of the new architecture.

and of course, Phil retweeting and saying DF does good work to their article where they confirm their sources say 12TF Navi too. Hasn't Klee confirmed it too? Jeez.

senjutsusage

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The guy that did the interview said that they spent most of the time talking about graphics when talking about ray tracing. Matt also said it's hardware RT, at this point you're just making shit up.

You sound angry, but at this stage I'm beyond just believing what any person on a forum says unless they can back up what they're saying. This data mining of the driver information is the most hard and specific information we've gotten to this point on PS5. I've said already I hope it's old. But we went from entertaining PS5 at 13-14TFLOPS with HBM up to 24GB to now all of a sudden many accepting that 9.2 would be fine (not everybody though) and suddenly now the seemingly many times confirmed 12TFLOPS RDNA on Xbox Series X now can't possibly be so, xbox must be in the 8-9 teraflop range now too going by some posts.

And if turns out that Xbox Series X is not, at minimum, 12TFLOPS of RDNA, then Phil Spencer and the Xbox team deserves major criticism for clearly allowing that misleading messaging to spin out of control. But at this stage it appears confirmed in many ways, they just won't come right out and just say it yet, likely because PS5 isn't fully revealed yet.

The point is we have more hard, verified information to go on about Xbox Series X than we do on PS5 at this stage, which is what gives me hope that this information is not representative of final PS5.

Something is off about true hardware ray tracing on PS5, and even the VRS thing, maybe this may add context to why Microsoft keeps focusing on it so heavily, it seems like they know Sony really won't have hardware support for it either. Like I said, I'm just speculating based on what I see, but I believe the info posted on that twitter account from official AMD drivers.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
You sound angry, but at this stage I'm beyond just believing what any person on a forum says unless they can back up what they're saying. This data mining of the driver information is the most hard and specific information we've gotten to this point on PS5. I've said already I hope it's old. But we went from entertaining PS5 at 13-14TFLOPS with HBM up to 24GB to now all of a sudden many accepting that 9.2 would be fine (not everybody though) and suddenly now the seemingly many times confirmed 12TFLOPS RDNA on Xbox Series X now can't possibly be so, xbox must be in the 8-9 teraflop range now too going by some posts.

And if turns out that Xbox Series X is not, at minimum, 12TFLOPS of RDNA, then Phil Spencer and the Xbox team deserves major criticism for clearly allowing that misleading messaging to spin out of control. But at this stage it appears confirmed in many ways, they just won't come right out and just say it yet, likely because PS5 isn't fully revealed yet.

The point is we have more hard, verified information to go on about Xbox Series X than we do on PS5 at this stage, which is what gives me hope that this information is not representative of final PS5.

Something is off about true hardware ray tracing on PS5, and even the VRS thing, maybe this may add context to why Microsoft keeps focusing on it so heavily, it seems like they know Sony really won't have hardware support for it either. Like I said, I'm just speculating based on what I see, but I believe the info posted on that twitter account from official AMD drivers.

I'm not angry, I'm just point out the obvious, you're making shit up.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
What I meant by 'junk' is that Sony will give up almost 3TF to XsX? I don't think so.

Then the logical conclusion, if both consoles are priced the same with similar BOM, is that Scarlett simply isn't 12TF RDNA. It wouldn't have to be to meet "double the performance of XB1X anyway.

Mind you I'm not saying I believe any spec or number out there right now for either console.

BOT Zé

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
People are ridiculous. Flops are flops. The RDNA architecture is 1.25x more efficient but that doesn't change how flops are calculated. It's Navi 12TF, by the numbers if you do the math as Phil said, twice as powerful as X1X, but will perform more than we are used to with that number due to the efficiency of the new architecture.

and of course, Phil retweeting and saying DF does good work to their article where they confirm their sources say 12TF Navi too. Hasn't Klee confirmed it too? Jeez.

Dude, you are talking to fanboys. Most of the people here don't understand shit about tech, so don't try too much.
Only on this website I see people picking up TFlops in another architecture.
Right now I will believe they are stating 12 TF Turing.

People believe what they want to believe. Reason is something you will not find much around here.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.