• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SPDIF

Oct 27, 2017
So yes, while the data derived from the mining may lineup with actual code names used internally at AMD, their usefulness or relevance to the PS5 at this point is dubious at best.
Why exactly? I don't see how that list changes anything. Just to be completely honest, I have all of this leaked data sitting in front of me right now (it's not exactly hard to get), so just to go over some of the points:
  • This info is not datamined from drivers.
Well, of course not. It doesn't need to be me. It's coming directly from an AMD employee.
  • It is not related to devkits
No, but it is related (potentially) to the APUs that'll be going inside devkits.
  • It is not complete so I wouldn't read into "missing features." It's not a spec sheet
That's true. By 'missing features', I assume he's talking about the lack of ray-tracing tests, but I think that's been discussed to death already.
  • It is dated June/July and is the same source for info "leaked" around that time
This is also true, but at this point I'm don't think there can be any huge changes to the design, so I don't know how relevant the date is.

Manixramz

Apr 4, 2018
Most of us aren't in here looking for "a good deal". I know I am not. I want the most powerful console I can realistically get, and I'll happily pay $500 or $600 for that. Saving $100-200 and getting a significantly weaker console is not a "deal" I care for.

That is why there will be series x and s. Ps5 also possible will be 499 with 12 TF. you are covered don't worry.
what I replied is 399 for 9tf is a good deal for next-gen with CPU and SSD upgrade compare to current pro and x. people were downplaying like it is weakest for the price.
In the end, it all matters how sony sees the market if they think 399 works great and market like it, they will push towards that. most people here pro gamers so opinion from here is not equal to the mass market.

Evodelu

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 19, 2019
And according to AMD's own whitepaper on RDNA, no, a Tflop is not just a TFLOP when compared to GCN.

Look at these pictures. Check page 21 and 22 of the rdna whitepaper

You will see this as well as a detailed comparison as to why the 9 teraflop RX 5700XT beats the pants off the 13 teraflop Vega 64

"The Radeon RX 5700 XT delivers over 2.5X higher bytes per FLOP, a tremendous improvement that is crucial for the Radeon RX 5700 XT to deliver better performance than the Radeon RX Vega 64, especially on more sophisticated and complex shaders and compute-based rendering systems. "

Even being a smaller GPU RX 5700 XT beats Vega 64 on triangle performance, triangle cull rate, fp16 texturing, L0 bandwidth, l1 bandwidth, l2 bandwidth, total cache bandwidth/flop. In other words, an RDNA teraflop is much more performant than a GCN teraflop.
Mate, can you please stop using larger fonts to make your points? It's obnoxious.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
PS5 can play any past PlayStation game. XD
Imagine if true.
that would basically be a Megaton

especially if they somehow found a way to have people use their UMDs or whatever lol and somehow Sony worked their asses off to get every thirdparty to cooperate in allowing said game to be playable for people who already own the copy be it digitally or physically

and the PS3 architecture, etc...

basically so many things would have to be tackled that just completing all of said tasks and making it happen should be applauded by effort alone

which means it will never actually happen as we don't live in such an optimistic ideal case scenario

Evodelu

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 19, 2019
No way. My comment is not going in that direction, I am just talking about the information we have outside at the moment.
The information which speaks of a GPU without RT, which PS5 GPU is confirmed to have.

There are missing pieces here and y'all need to chill, acting like 9TF GPU is confirmed, when multiple reliable sources have said PS5 is close and has double-digit FLOPS.

Jun 23, 2019
Why exactly? I don't see how that list changes anything. Just to be completely honest, I have all of this leaked data sitting in front of me right now (it's not exactly hard to get), so just to go over some of the points:
  • This info is not datamined from drivers.
Well, of course not. It doesn't need to be me. It's coming directly from an AMD employee.
  • It is not related to devkits
No, but it is related (potentially) to the APUs that'll be going inside devkits.
  • It is not complete so I wouldn't read into "missing features." It's not a spec sheet
That's true. By 'missing features', I assume he's talking about the lack of ray-tracing tests, but I think that's been discussed to death already.
  • It is dated June/July and is the same source for info "leaked" around that time
This is also true, but at this point I'm don't think there can be any huge changes to the design, so I don't know how relevant the date is.

That's my point. This information is of course factual, but when comparing it to the information we were getting around that time, it doesn't add up. Which is why I believe it's not something we should put too much stock into especially with the full unveiling around the corner (if you believe Klee).

Aug 26, 2019
New buttons on the DS5:

sony-playstation-dualshock-update.jpg

Via https://nl.letsgodigital.org/spelcomputers-games/sony-playstation-5-wireless-dualshock-update/
Looks weird tbh

Evodelu

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 19, 2019
That's my point. This information is of course factual, but when comparing it to the information we were getting around that time, it doesn't add up. Which is why I believe it's not something we should put too much stock into especially with the full unveiling around the corner (if you believe Klee).
A huge "change" is that PS5 GPU is confirmed to have RT accelerators incorporated into the GPU. The datamined GPU does not. No one knows precisely what Oberon/Ariel are, we just have educated guesses at this point.

What we can say for sure is that the Playstation 5 console being released in holiday 2020 will differ significantly, in at least the one way listed above.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
Man this rumored computational gap is driving this thread mad. Honestly, both PS5 and XSX seem to be giant leaps from the current generation, so we shouldn't worry about anemic hardware.

danrbg

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 9, 2018
The information which speaks of a GPU without RT, which PS5 GPU is confirmed to have.

There are missing pieces here and y'all need to chill, acting like 9TF GPU is confirmed, when multiple reliable sources have said PS5 is close and has double-digit FLOPS.
No one has denied _rogame, I always keep the latest information. If I didn't keep thinking Lockhart is dead.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
A huge "change" is that PS5 GPU is confirmed to have RT accelerators incorporated into the GPU. The datamined GPU does not. No one knows precisely what Oberon/Ariel are, we just have educated guesses at this point.

What we can say for sure is that the Playstation 5 console being released in holiday 2020 will differ significantly, in at least the one way listed above.
Im surprised people are now saying Oberon/Ariel isn't PS5, even DF seemed to think it was & that famous 2Ghz number gets thrown around constantly even when talking about a bigger GPU.
It's funny because people were bragging how amazing that PS5 leak was just a few months ago, 2070 performance for $400-500, which is admittedly great, now there is damage control to say it's actually under powered & can't be the PS5.

ArabianPrynce

Jun 1, 2019
Probably just gonna wait until the ps5 pro comes which is going to be the real ps5 for me lol. it seems that maybe klee has outdated spec sheet who knows

SPDIF

Oct 27, 2017

That might not be completely accurate though. This leaked data is just a small sample of the (presumably) huge amount of testing being done at the time. It's perfectly possible that any RT testing just wasn't part of this particular leak.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2019
Im surprised people are now saying Oberon/Ariel isn't PS5, even DF seemed to think it was & that famous 2Ghz number gets thrown around constantly even when talking about a bigger GPU.
It's funny because people were bragging how amazing that PS5 leak was just a few months ago, 2070 performance for $400-500, which is admittedly great, now there is damage control to say it's actually under powered & can't be the PS5.

You just couldn't help yourself, huh? 🙄

Bashteee

Oct 27, 2017
What links Oberon/Ariel to PS5 besides educated guesses and APISAK? It might be the 2019 chip, but as of right now, everything - inclduing the weired article with Cerny - point into a different direction than the tweets. Ironically, the WCCFTECH article from Usman seems to be the most accurate source for AMD inside infos.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018

Evodelu

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 19, 2019
Not saying that it isn't related to PS5. What I'm saying is that the datamined GPU we've been discussing lacks a key feature consistent with the PS5 GPU Sony has confirmed to be present IN the PS5 GPU.

Oberon/Ariel could an old 2019-release APU, it could be something for Azure cloud, it could be basic hardware being given to devs as a placeholder.

I also find discussion about 2GHz interesting, because the people who were touting 8TF said 2GHz was impossible for a console. What changed?

Evodelu

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 19, 2019
That might not be completely accurate though. This leaked data is just a small sample of the huge amount of testing being done at the time. It's perfectly possible that any RT testing just wasn't part of this particular leak.
Im aware, but Sony could have their own RT/VSR solution, because MS are implying, if not out right stating they have their own solutions too, RDNA 2.0 on Desktop might be unique.
PS5 is confirmed to have RT IN the GPU, not as a discrete co-processor (check 2nd Cerny interview from wired). That change would render an APU as non-Navi10. The datamined chip is shown to be Navi10, which does not have RT hardware IN the GPU.

Even if the memory bus changes (see Navi 12 with HBM), the gpu id changes.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
kind of.

oberon is too small to be a 40 cu part with a zen 2 cpu, hardware rt and i/o stuff. there is an amd patent out there that suggests a separate chip that contains the i/o stuff and hardware rt cores. so even if oberon is a lame 36 cu part, the hardware rt having dedicated cores could be good news.

maybe.

most likely not.

It seem that patent is just for a interchange data with a coprocessor it had nothing to do with RT.

ArabianPrynce

Jun 1, 2019
What is a PS5 Pro going to do to make it a "real PS5" for you?
having the actual specs that i wanted that actually made excited for this gen, double digit tflops, high amounts of ram etc. What got me hyped this gen is to see both ms and sony go all out and not compromise thanks to the available to tech. I mainly play on playstation, so it sad to see sony compromise and go for the afforable route again.

Jun 23, 2019
Im aware, but Sony could have their own RT/VSR solution, because MS are implying, if not out right stating they have their own solutions too, RDNA 2.0 on Desktop might be unique.

Well it's true, how did we go from Oberon being a monster to being under powered?

Your assumption is that people believed Oberon was the actual PS5 devkit name when we had Prospero confirmed for months, but I digress. The real question you should ask is how did we go from PS5 can barely hit 8TF and can't do 2.0Ghz in speed without a heavy heating issue to now 9TF and 2.0Ghz is fine on 36CUs?

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
PS5 is confirmed to have RT IN the GPU, not as a discrete co-processor (check 2nd Cerny interview from wired). That change would render an APU as non-Navi10. The datamined chip is shown to be Navi10, which does not have RT hardware IN the GPU.

Even if the memory bus changes (see Navi 12 with HBM), the gpu id changes.
In that interview Cerny talked about audio ray tracing, different ballpark.
Your assumption is that people believed Oberon was the actual PS5 devkit name when we had Prospero confirmed for months, but I digress. The real question you should ask is how did we go from PS5 can barely hit 8TF and can't do 2.0Ghz in speed without a heavy heating issue to now 9TF and 2.0Ghz is fine on 36CUs?
That's not what im talking about, people have been sharing that 20k+ fire strike score from "PS5" for a while & DF even did a video on it, i just find it a bit funny some people think that is now under powered when if Sony can release that for $399, it would be insane value.

Evodelu

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 19, 2019
That was during the first interview.

www.resetera.com

Next playstation console is called PlayStation 5, releasing holiday 2020 and supports ray tracing at hardware level

About UI and game installation: On the controller: From PS Blog: Bluepoint are working on a PS5 title: Laura Miele, chief studio officer for EA comment: https://www.wired.com/story/exclusive-playstation-5/

Before they do, Cerny wants to clarify something. When we last discussed the forthcoming console, he spoke about its ability to support ray-tracing, a technique that can enable complex lighting and sound effects in 3D environments. Given the many questions he's received since, he fears he may have been ambiguous about how the PS5 would accomplish this—and confirms that it's not a software-level fix, which some had feared. "There is ray-tracing acceleration in the GPU hardware," he says, "which I believe is the statement that people were looking for."

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Holy balls, people need to READ PROPERLY. Read the threadsmarks, read up...

www.wired.com

Exclusive: A Deeper Look at the PlayStation 5

Now that the name is official, we've got more details about Sony's next-gen console—from the haptics-packed controller to UI improvements.
Given the many questions he's received since, he fears he may have been ambiguous about how the PS5 would accomplish this—and confirms that it's not a software-level fix, which some had feared. "There is ray-tracing acceleration in the GPU hardware," he says, "which I believe is the statement that people were looking for."

Grayson

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 21, 2019

Patent

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jul 2, 2018
North Carolina
Yea, thanks. He said that he'd consider a 15% difference to be very close, not that there is a 15% difference.
The context of him saying that was answering this question " I trust what you say, so I want to ask if when you said the consoles are "very close" in power did you mean like a 2 teraflop difference or less? " His response " I would consider ~15% difference or less to be very close, depending on other factors of course."

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
This thread is wild and I can barely keep up.

From what I see there's 2 likely scenarios..

1. PS5 and Series X are both ~9TF RDNA with Series X probably having a slight power advantage.

2. PS5 and Series X are both ~12TF RDNA with PS5 having a slight power advantage.

What is exceedingly unlikely is one is 9TF and the other is 12..that goes against pretty much every single power comparison rumor leak over the past year..unless some super secret last minute dramatic hardware revisions were made.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
This thread needs to be locked for a couple weeks before people start shitting blood from stress induced ulcers.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
That was during the first interview.

www.resetera.com

Next playstation console is called PlayStation 5, releasing holiday 2020 and supports ray tracing at hardware level

About UI and game installation: On the controller: From PS Blog: Bluepoint are working on a PS5 title: Laura Miele, chief studio officer for EA comment: https://www.wired.com/story/exclusive-playstation-5/
That was the first interview. The second interview he clearly states that RT is hardware accelerated and is more focused on the visual implementations of it.
Ah i see, still Ariel/Oberon are suspiciously close to what PS5 needs for BC. Why it has no RT or possible RDNA 2.0 features is odd.

Nazgûl

Banned
Dec 16, 2019
I think Cerny's words should be enough to put those rumours to bed. Is that or thinking Cerny it's a liar.

Status
Not open for further replies.