• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Here's another good one:

ni9WTXk.jpg
jpege6k9q.jpg

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly, I'm really digging the Series X design. I would want that in my living room.

and my bedroom

BrucCLea13k87

Oct 27, 2017
It really looks like an Alexa speaker or Homepod, which evokes an AI feature controlled by the voice. Kind of funny how things come full circle.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
I think the naming is on point for a change. Better than 360 and One, those were terrible names.

It actually sounds like a dedicated gaming device now.

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle

We've had consoles this generation that brought forward features from the next iteration of GCN without adopting every feature. So it's clear that some aspects of the next RDNA (2? 1.1?) made it in, but not whether it is literally based on the complete new design. I'd suspect more the former than the latter but if they did pick up literally everything then that could explain why the Series X dev kit timeline is a little different from the PS5.

That way of reading the tea leaves suggests that the two designs would have diverged at some point, so Sony could have different ray tracing and power optimization work. It will be fascinating to see how this all shakes out! I can't wait for February to arrive.

danrbg

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 9, 2018
We've had consoles this generation that brought forward features from the next iteration of GCN without adopting every feature. So it's clear that some aspects of the next RDNA (2? 1.1?) made it in, but not whether it is literally based on the complete new design. I'd suspect more the former than the latter but if they did pick up literally everything then that could explain why the Series X dev kit timeline is a little different from the PS5.

That way of reading the tea leaves suggests that the two designs would have diverged at some point, so Sony could have different ray tracing and power optimization work. It will be fascinating to see how this all shakes out! I can't wait for February to arrive.
Good points, I think the delay has something to do with rdna2, the CES is in a month, we will leave doubts.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Hmm not sure. The rebirth video had the most realistic lighting, but I think it at least matches those two.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Oh wow, new thread!

When OT7 was created not so long ago, I thought for sure it would be the last one of 2019.

Then yesterday the Monolith was revealed.

Something wonderful will happen.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Clearly the design is centered around performance first, thermals and acoustics being front and center.

Makes me wonder what form factor Sony will adopt if it's has similar performance.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
7nm+ is 7nm EUV.

Next year's console is probably 7nm performance / n7p, which should be 7-10% additional clock speed over the 7nm in the 5700XT.

I've read that 7nm+ has a density but not a perf advantage over n7p, as in you're not getting TDP savings for some # of transistors.
techpowerup says its probably 7nm EUV.

that said, given the massive massive console, and the ps5 prototype design it seems both consoles are going with 7nm gpus.

Erimriv

Oct 30, 2017
Series X will be big, but, how much? any published or estimated data about measurements? Couldn't catch up with all the articles and info. Thanks, the best pundits are always on resetera.

Status
Not open for further replies.