• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Yea everyone is reporting this now. And the silence from Sony is deafening. You'd think a little controlled leak to stop the mindset of being weaker but nothing. Let's see how long this goes on or if they'll say anything at CES.
Sony responding would be dumb. They aren't going to comment before the reveal.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My research:

CB = color buffer,
GDS = global data share,
LDS = local data share
SP = streaming processor,
GE = geometry engine
SQ = shader / streaming queue
TC = texture cache
UTC = unified texture cache
GLX = ???

The blocks matches the test cases and categories.

OpenGL Extension to the X Window System fits the acronym but it doesn't fit the test / case names / categories.

Categories for GLX:
gpu memory bw,
intra gpu memory bw,
RT + VRS

I think it's the GL0/GL1/GL2 caches

That's what most of the test cases are about and looking at the counters in GLX it seems to fit. You can see all of the performance counter blocks for navi here:

Justsomeguy

Oct 27, 2017
UK
The problem I see for Xbox Exclusives, is Lockhard. I look at how Microsoft couldn't take full advantage of the X because of the Xbox One.
I don't personally think Lockhart should be a problem, if as rumoured it's aimed at playing the same games but at 1080. That's literally just a graphics card difference between the two.

The one that worries me is the cross gen games, something I used to dismiss mentally as console warrior "concern"... but let's use Halo as an example... Given the cpu constraints of xbox one, surely that must limit the scale of encounter that 343i can design in halo infinite? If they were targeting the new gen only, it would surely be a more epic gaming experience.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA

harz-marz

Oct 28, 2017
Even a power difference as big as this leak suggests ultimately won't matter at all. Consumers only care about games, rightly so, that is why Sony's weaker PS4 Pro sells more than Xbox One X. The price difference also helps which is why the PS5 doesn't need to be the most powerful. A great line up of stunning first party games will suffice!

I have both an X and Pro and play the Pro way more due to the games. I think it's only tech geeks like us that will get worried about spec differences.

Psyrgery

Nov 7, 2017
What if...

There were rumours that said the Ps5 AND Ps5 Pro would launch at the same time.

What if... what if Sony decided to go the Lockhart way and Oberon is, in fact, a Ps5 Lite??? (Would be clocked to 1.8 rather than 2.0 for yield purposes)

Sony launches the Ps5 at 13/14 Tflops with HBM suprising Ms trying to surprise Sony with XSX and Lockhart

Cue Inception PFWAAAAAH sound

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
A point that i would bring up is that many are expecting MS to be more focused on cross-generational content in order to expand their ecosystem, so much that we heard rumors about no XsX exclusives in the first year or so (although Hellblade II seems to be next-gen only?).

That + having to cater to Lockhart hardware would limit the output (especially in terms of graphics and such) of their games quite a lot.

On the other hand Sony, who is pushing for a faster transition and only one SKU, can have it's teams develop exclusively for next-gen and possibly have a stronger visual impact?

Like, in the absolute worst case scenario MS could find itself with a 12TF that still has to render XBO games, or Lockhart, but with all bells and whistles, while Sony gets full fledged next-gen exclusives.

Both interesting approaches that make for fun times ahead.

I think literally the only reason Xbox is going for the power crown and 12-ish TF is because they are willing to do the 2 SKU plan.

If they were only releasing one box I don't think they'd be aiming for higher than PS because they would get beat in price again.

Warren had the same reasoning

If this is real then i can accept the reasoning of PS5 being "weaker" (from a pure raw power standpoint) but noticeably cheaper. If they'd both be at the same price, now that would be baffling.
I guess we could either see 299/399/499 or 399/499/599?

III-V

Oct 25, 2017

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This doesn't mean much without knowing what Sony is doing, fact is every insider that is associated with MS haven't shown any confidence in next Xbox being more powerful, also that's your second time posting the tweet.

Tom Warren is probably the most connected Xbox insider we have and he seems pretty confident. And no one with any credibility will come out and definitively say for sure either way because things can always change. Sony could always decide to make a PS5 pro or something tomorrow and change the entire story.

But in my opinion, as soon as they announced 2 SKUs, it was pretty apparent (to me) that they were going to go all in on the higher tier SKU, and have a nice baseline on the lower tier. In my opinion, I don't think they would have 2 SKUs if both were going to be "less powerful"than the PS5. It just doesn't make sense. Having a console that's 100 dollars more than PS and another 100 dollars less always made the most sense.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
If PS5 being 8-9tf is true then Sony will need some masterful PR to avoid the ps5 being labeled as old tech and shit (even tho it's clearly not). You can already see a lot of negativity on social media, and it's just a rumor with limited coverage. Sony better have some of their big titles at reveal, and they better look insanely good.
This is a massive overexageration. The market doesn't give a crap about Teraflops.

All the PS5 needs to be is significantly better than the PS4 (which it is) and be reasonably priced (which if it really is 9.2, then it sure sounds like it will be.)

The differences will be noticeable sure, but it'll mostly be a resolution or minor things. it won't be nearly enough to lead to it being labled as "old tech".

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
This is my top hypothesis right now. #teamhiddencus
Some had similar theories in 2013 with the hidden second GPU of XB1. :P
I don't have that one for some reason :)

We saw Sony test Oberon A0 with 448GB/s and 512GB/s. We also saw them test Flute @572GB/s. So we can't really know what they will use in the final product.
You have it. And Flute tested bandwidth almost perfectly fits with Oberon B0. About 530GB/s measured giving an approximate 550GB/s theoretical bandwidth.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
This doesn't mean much without knowing what Sony is doing, fact is every insider that is associated with MS haven't shown any confidence in next Xbox being more powerful, also that's your second time posting the tweet.
Phil Spencer also sounds very confident, but I guess all he ever says is just PR fluff, right?

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Tom Warren is probably the most connected Xbox insider we have and he seems pretty confident.
"I think" and "they are aiming" isn't what I'd call confidence.

And no one with any credibility will come out and definitively say for sure either way because things can always change. Sony could always decide to make a PS5 pro or something tomorrow and change the entire story.
Oh yes, they will just throw together a new console in less than a year.

But in my opinion, as soon as they announced 2 SKUs, it was pretty apparent (to me) that they were going to go all in on the higher tier SKU, and have a nice baseline on the lower tier. In my opinion, I don't think they would have 2 SKUs if both were going to be "less powerful"than the PS5. It just doesn't make sense. Having a console that's 100 dollars more than PS and another 100 dollars less always made the most sense.
It doesn't make sense to who? It isn't something that they can control if PS5 ends up being stronger.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
"I think" and "they are aiming" isn't what I'd call confidence.

Oh yes, they will just throw together a new console in less than a year.

It doesn't make sense to who? It isn't something that they can control is PS5 ends up being stronger.

Because literally no one with any credibility would say "I definitely know what's happening" because if something changes then their credibility takes a hit.

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
9.2TF PS5 isn't a problem provided it's cheaper than XSX. If they're the same price however... Yikes.

I honestly think if a 9.2TF PS5 is true then they must be shooting for $449 or less.

Tom Warren says that XSX will have the performance lead "for a price" which suggests that the XSX will be more expensive than the PS4.

Lockhart $349 (no way cutting the GPU down and 4GB less RAM cuts costs to a $300 next gen console)
PS3 $$449
XSX $549 (XSX is a 7nm part which means the APU is freaking massive, this thing is gonna be expensive)

Is how I see it shaking down.

rahzel

Oct 27, 2017
In % terms sure. But 3TF sure powers a lot of effects... The X1 vs ps4 was a 0.5tf difference.

Once we're at the level of 10tf, diminishing returns do come in to play of course.
Extra power will most likely go towards resolution most of the time, which there are diminishing returns at such high resolutions, especially with the upscale techniques used in modern games. Add to that the difference is even smaller than PS4/XB1 or Pro/X, so the actual differences visually will be insignificant.

That said, I don't believe it will be 9.2TF vs 12TF.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
If PS5 being 8-9tf is true then Sony will need some masterful PR to avoid the ps5 being labeled as old tech and shit (even tho it's clearly not). You can already see a lot of negativity on social media, and it's just a rumor with limited coverage. Sony better have some of their big titles at reveal, and they better look insanely good.

You answered it yourself, their "masterful PR" would be showing off their exclusive games.

When these Xbox and PS games are first presented, most customers will be live streaming these presentations at best 1080p if not alittle less clear. Then when they are uploaded to youtube, some customers will be streaming the 4K verisons...but again with Youtube bit rate quality. And some of these customers might stream those in 1080p or auto setting.

It will come down to art. As far as standing out.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
If this ends up being true MS is going to use it in their marketing and the average fan will only understand the numbers.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Because literally no one with any credibility would say "I definitely know what's happening" because if something changes then their credibility takes a hit.
I mean the fact that he was suggesting series X will cost more than PS5 means he was talking about the test findings which puts the PS5 nowhere near the X, the PS5 isn't gonna end up stronger with that kind of difference with any change at this stage.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
If this ends up being true MS is going to use it in their marketing and the average fan will only understand the numbers.

If Lockhart is only 4 TF they might not want to use numbers tbh. It'll depend on the PS5's final specs (I think it'll be in the 10-12 range but we'll see), if Lockhart happens, and the price point imo.

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
Flute had the gonzalo 1.8 ghz chip. not the 2.0 ghz one.

you gotta wonder why they are testing a more powerful chip with worse bandwidth. should be the other way around.

edit: i forgot that flute was the APU, while the oberon chip is just the gpu. maybe the 512GB/s is just for the GPU while the 572 GB/s you saw for flute was for the CPU + GPU.
They tested a lot of configurations, some of them I'm sure we haven't seen, so who knows?

You have it. And Flute tested bandwidth almost perfectly fits with Oberon B0. About 530GB/s measured giving an approximate 550GB/s theoretical bandwidth.
I was unable to find it. And yes, Flute did have 531GB/s real-world performance which could be anything between 531GB/s and 572GB/s.

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Made it back with scotch tape. Bought extra for Cerny.

But this time it's different!......?

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
I dont believe this. Theres absolutely no way ps5 is under 10tf

If they're shooting for the same price as XSX then sure. But maybe they aren't.

XSX may well be even more expensive than what we were thinking. A 56CU 7nm chip, which is what it seems to be, will be hugely expensive. Especially when coupled with SSD and 16GB GDDR6.

XSX may well be $549 or even $599.

If Sony can hit $449 vs that then 9.2TF isn't a bad value proposition at all.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Most you will get out o sony is a "we don't comment on rumors or speculation"...

But if the PS5 is 9TF, that's not the end of the world. No chance its 9TF and the SeX is 12TF and both are $499 though. If there is that big a power gap, then expect the PS5 to be $399.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I decided to compile a bunch of stuff from Usman Pirzada who has a pretty good record covering the Navi. He called a 40 CU Navi part, was the first one to say that Navi wont be tied to GCN or its 64 CU limit as well as release dates.

This is what he had to say about the PS5.

AMD's Navi 12 GPU will have 40 CUs
Now off the bat, I will tell you that the Navi 12 is an odd codename. We expected AMD to launch with the "Navi 10" designation but that does not appear to be the case. AMD's nomenclature is based on the timeline at which the dies were designed and what this essentially means is that AMD is not ready to roll out Navi 10 just yet - which is good news since Navi 12 appears to be a continuation of the mainstream upgrade path that the Polaris series has become famous for.

Now you might remember my old exclusive in which I revealed that we can't expect a flagship GPU from AMD until 2020. I also talked about how Vega was designed specifically for Apple and Navi has been designed specifically for the Sony PS5 and the question that I immediately thought was whether this is the GPU that we can expect to see featured - the answer - nope. The Navi 12 is not going to be the GPU that gets featured in PS5, its a derivative of the actual Navi die and has been created specifically so AMD can get it to market for the PC audience primarily.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It'll only matter if the games look and play substantially better on Xbox.

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
Most you will get out o sony is a "we don't comment on rumors or speculation"...

But if the PS5 is 9TF, that's not the end of the world. No chance its 9TF and the SeX is 12TF and both are $499 though. If there is that big a power gap, then expect the PS5 to be $399.

I really think we're looking at $349 Lockhart, $449 PS5 and $549 XBX.

The 7nm 56CU+RT APU in the XSX is an absolute monster. Like ridiculously huge, and thus ridiculously expensive.

Brees2Thomas

Dec 27, 2019
Being that mainstream outlets like IGN are posting articles on the Github data leak as legitimate representation of what the PS5 GPU will be, do you think this will nudge Sony to come forward with more info prior to late February, assuming this rumor is even partially untrue?

Jun 23, 2019
Coming back into this thread:

tenor.gif

I love how Matt said that he was glad people had moved past the GitHub info and people came back in and argued how we should still talk about the GitHub information. There's no helping at this point. I'm just going to wait for the unveil.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Saw a theory in the Playstation thread that some pundits think PS5 might get delayed until 2021 to up the specs, ha.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Being that mainstream outlets like IGN are posting articles on the Github data leak as legitimate representation of what the PS5 GPU will be, do you think this will nudge Sony to come forward with more info prior to late February, assuming this rumor is even partially untrue?
no

because since when did Sony comment on rumour and speculation

long ago they used to put out just that statement alone but more recently even with their own games being part of certain rumours don't even bother doing that too

anything false or true will be confirmed soon enough, no reason to run like a headless chicken based off of speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.