• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

saintjules

Dec 20, 2019
One more thing I'd like to add about $599. For the people that can actually afford that, why not just spend an extra couple hundred and build a decent gaming PC? You get to play the same games. I think $599 is too high for a console gamer that wants something powerful and too low for someone that wants a monster gaming machine.

I think that's based on the readily available game on the platform. Some games don't appear on PC the same time as the initial release. Yeah, some can wait and work on their backlog, but some don't want to wait. Speaking for myself, I was never a PC gamer. My PC is built mainly for Music Production, so I just keep it as is.

I think that it can be in part due to the fact that some (or most) 1st/3rd party content doesn't come to PC until a year or two after release (or never?)
I would agree, but many here say $599 USD is DOA.

I think those are People that can't afford or don't know how to save $50/month for the next 11 months (no offense). I definitely can understand the ones that don't have a job, but if you're talking on here and are a gamer with a job, you can easily save. It's not like suddenly we have to come up with $599 within a month. We knew for at least two years+ next-gen was coming.

Deleted member 19767

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
TF conversation aside ... is anyone here thinking they may switch from one preferred console to the other?

I have both Xbox One X and PS4 Pro and play most multiplats on Xbox, but have a lot of friends on PS4 and really enjoyed their first party games this gen. Curious if anyone else is starting to consider an ecosystem change for next year.

I switched to the PS4 and am pretty deep into the PS ecosystem this gen. I'll be grabbing a PS5 for exclusives regardless of specs.
However, I am considering going with Series X next gen for most gaming. It really depends on specs and price.
If they're close, I'll probably skip and wait a while - because I don't want to miss Halo Infinite.

Patent

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jul 2, 2018
North Carolina
He said that before.... Todays DF video. Before the IGN article. Before Tom warrens tweet saying he thinks the Series X will be more powerful.
There just seems to be way too much smoke going in one direction.
Hey you believe what you wanna believe,He was right about so much last gen i'm not gonna doubt what he says and he has never claimed the ps5 will be more powerful in fact he said if he guessed it would be the opposite in the end

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
PS5 prediction from May adjusted with Komachis leaks and other deductions:

8 core zen 3.2+ ghz
16GB GB GDDR6, ~500GB/s 2-3GB reserved for OS
4GB DDR4, 2GB for OS, 2GB for SSD Cache
Navi GPU 36CU, 64 ROPS at 2-2.15ghz, 9.2-9.9 TF
1 TB SSD at 4+GB/s
$399

Updated optimistic predictions for PS5 that attempts to bring all leaks + insiders together.
8 core zen 3.2+ ghz
16GB GB GDDR6, ~576GB/s 2-3GB reserved for OS
Navi GPU 40CU (all enabled), 64 ROPS at ~2.1ghz, 10.8-11 TF (> Stadia)
1 TB SSD at 4+GB/s
$499

This requires yields for the GPU to be outstanding and that PS5 is $499.

2.1ghz is 23.5% clock advantage over the Xsx,
Xsx has a 9% compute advantage and 11% BW advantage, assuming 640GB/s per my Xsx prediction.

In all non-bw and non-compute bound situations, the PS5 pulls ahead noticeably. Otherwise, Xsx has a small lead.

MS can potentially respond with 720GB/s upgrade to BW, and 1900mhz clock, resulting in 13.6TF.

Begun the upclock wars have.

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
Updated optimistic predictions for PS5 that attempts to bring all leaks + insiders together.
8 core zen 3.2+ ghz
Navi GPU 40CU (all enabled), 64 ROPS at ~2.1ghz, 10.8-11 TF
1 TB SSD at 4+GB/s
$499

Xsx has a 9% compute advantage and 11% BW advantage, assuming 640GB/s per my Xsx prediction.

In all non-bw and non-compute bound situations, the PS5 pulls ahead noticeably. Otherwise, Xsx has a small lead.

MS can potentially respond with 720GB/s upgrade to BW, and 1900mhz clock, resulting in 13.6TF.

I don't think so fam :/

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
Sparkman is now being rumored to be server blade after the github leaks, so it may or may not be lock, but if the docs are correct, and they may be wrong, it is not looking like lock.

Ah. Yeah personally I'm betting that Sparkman is Lockhart.

TF conversation aside ... is anyone here thinking they may switch from one preferred console to the other?

I'll definitely be changing my purchasing behavior. Last two gens were "wait for first price cut on PlayStation, ignore Xbox, get the Nintendo system if appealing." Now that I'm hooked on Game Pass I will be planning to get both XSX and PS5 this gen, both a lot closer to launch (assuming Horizon 2 is coming soon for PS5 and that MS has the kind of E3 I think they will). Not decided which one first, might just depend on launch lineup.

I appreciate Nintendo desyncing their launch schedule! Three would be a lot.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
8 core zen 3.2+ ghz
1 TB SSD at 4+GB/s
$499

Yeah, I could see that.

Shogmaster

Banned
Dec 12, 2017
Let's say for the sake of argument that XSX is $500. How low could Lockhart go realistically? Much smaller SoC (-$100), Simpler cooling (-$20) 25% less GDDR6 RAM (-$40), No UHD BR drive (-$40), half size SSD (-$50) = ~-$240??? Could we realistically end up with about $250~ for Lockhart BOM?

Deleted member 56995

Banned
May 24, 2019
SPECULATION: The chip tested wasn't the PS5 chip, but was a chip intended for streaming PS4 Pro games on PS Now. Also meant to test Navi emulation of GCN. Please pop holes in my theory.

Me either. Microsoft surprised Sony with that extra powerful XsX. Sony got caught with their pants down. They delayed their 2019 release and can barely make it competitive with the XsX. It's all ogre now

No. If Sony was targeting 2017 at some point, they likely delayed before they had a working kit.

PrimeRib

Nov 16, 2017
8 core zen 3.2+ ghz
1 TB SSD at 4+GB/s
$499

100% agreed, the "behind the story" on last-minute clock speed boosts are going to be very interesting...

MaulerX

Oct 30, 2017
Hey you believe what you wanna believe,He was right about so much last gen i'm not gonna doubt what he says and he has never claimed the ps5 will be more powerful in fact he said if he guessed it would be the opposite in the end

In case you didn't notice what I meant was that the conversation is going to steer where all the noise is at. If one guy stands to your left talking, and 20 to your right yelling, who are you going to turn your attention to? It seems like we're taking this way more seriously than we should. :-)

saintjules

Dec 20, 2019
Let's say for the sake of argument that XSX is $500. How low could Lockhart go realistically? Much smaller SoC (-$100), Simpler cooling (-$20) 25% less GDDR6 RAM (-$40), No UHD BR drive (-$40), half size SSD (-$50) = ~-$240??? Could we realistically end up with about $250~ for Lockhart BOM?

I'd predict nothing lower than $349-$399 max. So about $1-150 difference. It is next-gen after all.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm curious is it confirmed that Xbox sex is using an apu design. Seeing how thick the box is wondering if it actually has a seperate cpu and GPU inside instead of being together.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just for fun I looked back at some last gen leaks.

We did get the near final TF number for the PS4 and XB1 (before the last minute boost) around this time too.

I would guess any chance to the PS5 number will be a clock boost ala Xb1 got so maybe it can go to 9.5 but you are talking maybe a 4-7% boost. Nothing magic. Also that depends on Sony's cooling which has never been something they did well.

KodiakGTS

Jun 4, 2018
SPECULATION: The chip tested wasn't the PS5 chip, but was a chip intended for streaming PS4 Pro games on PS Now. Also meant to test Navi emulation of GCN. Please pop holes in my theory.

No. If Sony was targeting 2017 at some point, they likely delayed before they had a working kit.

If I remember correctly from the analysis here and the original Reddit thread, the memory bandwidth listed in the testing results strongly suggested HBM on Oberon. There would be no reason to include that for such a setup.

Jul 4, 2018
Just saw the digital foundry video explains everything, they both seem super powerful especially compared to my base PS4 and Switch (although Nintendo don't really need power for the games they make). I think the deciding factors if I go PS or Xbox will be backwards compatibility on the Ps side and piece on the Xbox side. The benefits for each which we already know are exclusives for PS and Game Pass for Xbox. Should be interesting to see hat happens over the next year or so

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In the next 3 months we will look back at this moment and think;

We based the speculations since July on terrible backup excel files by an intern.

Jun 23, 2019
Remembering some of Matt's posts in the earlier NeoGAF days, I don't think that's true actually. He obviously has his sources as has been proven over time, but I don't think he's a developer himself.

Of course, it's perfectly possible he had a rather dramatic shift in career since then. Who knows.

I hope we haven't gone back to trying to poke holes in the validity of Matt and the insiders again.

Deleted member 56995

Banned
May 24, 2019
If the PS5 and SeX are close to each other, I'll likely go with the PS5 due to PS4 BC.

If the difference between the two is significant, I'll likely go with the SeX.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
FYI Navi 10 has 20/20 WGP enabled, and it retails for $399 MSRP, regularly sold for $330 now.

I don't think 40CUs instead of 36CUs in final retail PS5 is that far fetched. The yield on Navi 10 WGPs must be really good by 2020.

Deleted member 56995

Banned
May 24, 2019
Jun 23, 2019
FYI Navi 10 has 20/20 WGP enabled, and it retails for $399 MSRP, regularly sold for $330 now.

I don't think 40CUs instead of 36CUs in final retail PS5 is that far fetched. The yield on Navi 10 WGPs must be really good by 2020.

Well didn't Uzman say that we should be looking at Navi 20 for what could be in the PS5 or did I read his tweet wrong?

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
8 core zen 3.2+ ghz
1 TB SSD at 4+GB/s
$499

this was posted earlier.

ysplb2a3f6b31.jpg

It shows a 10% increase in performance for almost 100% increase in power consumption. why would anyone do this, let alone a console manufacturer? 2.0 ghz let alone 2.1 ghz makes zero sense whatsoever in a console.

and all for what? to save 50mm2 in die space? how much do you think that would cost? i estimated $15-30. $15 if the fab costs are the same as they were in 2013 for 28nm. $30 if they have doubled like that amd slide shows.

arden leak shows ms is going with 56 cus like i had predicted for both consoles. to hit 12 tflops, you need 1.7 tflops. look at the efficiency setting on that chart. 1700 mhz. 110w for 40 cus . thats roughly 2.75w per cu. for 16 more cus we are looking at 44w. i know its not 1:1 like that, but you get the point. you can get a 12 tflops gpu for 154w. or a 10.24 tflops gpu at 210w.

why would you ever go for that configuration? let alone 2.1 ghz.

Last edited:

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
8 core zen 3.2+ ghz
1 TB SSD at 4+GB/s
$499

Clock wars that would be funny.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
this was posted earlier.

ysplb2a3f6b31.jpg

It shows a 10% increase in performance for almost 100% increase in power consumption. why would anyone do this, let alone a console manufacturer? 2.0 ghz let alone 2.1 ghz makes zero sense whatsoever in a console.

and all for what? to save 50mm2 in die space? how much do you think that would cost? i estimated $15-30. $15 is the fab costs are the same as they were in 2013 for 28nm. $30 if they have doubled like that amd slide shows.

arden leak shows ms is going with 56 cus like i had predicted for both consoles. to hit 12 tflops, you need 1.7 tflops. look at the efficiency setting on that chart. 1700 mhz. 110w for 40 cus . thats roughly 2.75w per cu. for 16 more cus we are looking at 44w. i know its not 1:1 like that, but you get the point. you can get a 12 tflops gpu for 154w. or a 10.24 tflops gpu at 210w.

why would you ever go for that configuration? let alone 2.1 ghz.

powerscalinggpuonlyuljwr.png

From an user test that I saw elsewhere.
The GPU only die power for ~200+W console seems to be in 1800-1950mhz. With a years time that range might be at 2000-2150 mhz.

In other words, 150W for the GPU alone in the PS5 is believable. That gets you 1950mhz in 2019. It might get you 2150mhz in 2020.

RellikSK

Nov 1, 2017
If MS and Sony both target the same price point(probably $499), then the power will be very similar. If Sony targets $399 and MS targets $499 then the SeriesX will be stronger. Obviously the Lockhart skew will be there to undercut Sony, which I'm expecting to be roughly between $299-$349.

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol, yup. A lot of insiders gonna feel vindicated and be owed apologies I think.
Yeah seriously it REALLY could go either way.

When the best proof for RT in Oberon from the intern leak was the first tab for the regression tests for Oberon BC1;

Where it's most likely copy paste from an excel page for Arden.

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
There's not really any point in talking about Lockhart until they start talking about concrete price points, as that's the sole motivation for it to exist, and the only way it's going to make sense to consumers. I could see waiting until E3 to get specific about shipping dates and pricing to start the pre-order process. There's limited upside to getting that specific much earlier.

That's also the reason Sony won't feel any pressure to get out and clarify what the PS5 is and what it is not. Nobody is making any purchase decisions today, and sentiment will remain entirely fluid for months yet. When they're ready to showcase something meaningful they'll do so, and not before.

Status
Not open for further replies.