• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hear you. 20-25% is revolutionary. That's the only reason I could see to patent that.

20% of 12 tflops = 2.4 tflops
12 + 2.4 tflops = 14.4 tflops

you cracked the code!

Not only that, the site went downhill with all the abuse and shitposting that was at an all time high and people getting banned for no reason and the people who should have been banned got a free pass.
i got banned for three months because i dared to disagree with some guy said that Arms looks as good as Horizon and God of War. apparently i was the fanboy. it was insane.

Glad the ban lengths have been much more reasonable here.

Sid

Banned
Mar 28, 2018
Can't believe there could be a console more powerful than Sex, I wish Lockhart dies so that becomes the true baseline

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
I personally think anything above 10tf would be amazing. What I would love to see is that the CPU if anything gets a bump in speed. CPU will key to getting better framerate and frame-times so instead of all this talk of adding more clock speed to the GPU...I wish it would be more towards the CPU. I really would like a home console that has a steady frame rate and good frame times.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
I know people are/were critical of the bans but there wasn't anything better than a Bish graveyard.

Sid

Banned
Mar 28, 2018
20% of 12 tflops = 2.4 tflops
12 + 2.4 tflops = 14.4 tflops

you cracked the code!

i got banned for three months because i dared to disagree with some guy said that Arms looks as good as Horizon and God of War. apparently i was the fanboy. it was insane.

He's right

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
I personally think anything above 10tf would be amazing. What I would love to see is that the CPU if anything gets a bump in speed. CPU will key to getting better framerate and frame-times so instead of all this talk of adding more clock speed to the GPU...I wish it would be more towards the CPU. I really would like a home console that has a steady frame rate and good frame times.
Frame rates are much better this gen than last.

Scently

Oct 27, 2017
3.6Ghz is a very good clock speed if its true.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Any link to this patent? I'm interested in reading it.
You'll need to translate from Japanese. Google translate does ok.

One of the big problems with current cooling setups it that localized heat can saturate the plate/spreader capacity to dissipate and transport it away from the die. So, no matter how good your cooling setup is, that becomes a bottleneck.

Now, if you're cooling things from both sides, you have more opportunities to wick away this heat before it bottlenecks.

The issue with noise is much less related to how much power the system draws than with a particular cooling design. Thing is that Sony went with a smaller impeller spinning really, really fucking fast. They could've done with a bigger impeller spinning slower, but that would require a different design.

It's not as simple as big power = big noise

I like to think of it as an hourglass.The sand will only go as fast as the most narrow point. In a typical silicon device you have bulk silicon, interface metal, IHS, TIM, and then heatsink. Anything you can do to reduce the effect of this worst thermal resistance in the stack goes a long way. Whether it be changing materials or thinning a part of the stack out.

When it comes to undervolting, it's a two way street. Yes, undervolting lowers your power consumption at a given frequency, but it also lowers your clock headroom because it's easier to thermal throttle due to reduced timing margin. Find a way to remove heat better and suddenly you're re-claiming some of that margin.

Last edited:

senjutsusage

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Did you see the Cerny Spiderman fly over? The SSD has tremendous gameplay implications. Your speed, dynamism, and ability to massively change a scene is directly tied to how fast you can stream things in.

We've been fighting over this dumb 1 or 2 Teraflop advantage, but if the PS5 has an SSD that is twice as fast-that's not something you brush off.

The PlayStation 5 has no meaningful or worthwhile advantage over Xbox Series X in SSD performance that will have any major impact on games and the way they are built between the two systems. Even if PS5 has a speed advantage (don't believe it does) there it won't be enough of one for anybody to notice beyond a couple seconds faster load time. The CPU will handle the lion share of much of the behind the scenes work needed to have impressive persistent world's without much loading or visible pop in, GPU will play it's part and so will the SSD.

I notice a focus on this of late, but it has to finally be said I think that there is no conceivable way in which the PS5 SSD can be so much better than what's in Xbox series X that it will have a bigger impact on games and performance than the GPU, Cpu, memory amount and memory bandwidth speed. If there is one thing that will absolutely be a wash between the two systems it's the SSD.

I have zero inside information. Just my 2 cents.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Even 20 to 25% would be pretty massive once you've hit the ceiling.

Yep .
What i wondering is how much it would cost .

The PlayStation 5 has no meaningful or worthwhile advantage over Xbox Series X in SSD performance that will have any major impact on games and the way they are built between the two systems. Even if PS5 has a speed advantage (don't believe it does) there it won't be enough of one for anybody to notice beyond a couple seconds faster load time. The CPU will handle the lion share of much of the behind the scenes work needed to have impressive persistent world's without much loading or visible pop in, GPU will play it's part and so will the SSD.

I notice a focus on this of late, but it has to finally be said I think that there is no conceivable way in which the PS5 SSD can be so much better than what's in Xbox series X that it will have a bigger impact on games and performance than the GPU, Cpu, memory amount and memory bandwidth speed. If there is one thing that will absolutely be a wash between the two systems it's the SSD.

Of course it will if it does have a speed advantage just don't expect 3rd parties to take full advantage of it.
Also one big things this gen is SSD the faster the better .
Just like how the faster the GPU or CPU the better .

Last edited:

Patent

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jul 2, 2018
North Carolina
I mean I don't really care too much as long as they're the similar, but I just think it's funny how the numbers keep rising
We have no idea the numbers so people in the thread about speculation are speculating, If you think the TF's are to high id love to know about your inside connections that have the actual numbers

Mass Nerder

Banned
Apr 17, 2019
I got perma banned from SonyGAF for asking "What's the average age of a GAF poster?". All the while there are just straignht up not even low-key fan boys that have a permanent free pass for some reason. What a maddening place.

Me thinks the mods there are just bored.

grosbard

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

We don't know the specifics for the SSDs in either console. It's very possible the ps5 ssd will outshine the xsx. If that's the case, you will probably be able to tell in first party games. Also, it's a PR bullet point. Sony can say something like "fastest loading games ever".

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
Not only that, the site went downhill with all the abuse and shitposting that was at an all time high and people getting banned for no reason and the people who should have been banned got a free pass.
it's happening here too. i guess im a console warrior that is hostile. perhaps i should end all of my comments with /s just to be safe lol
the last ban didnt even tell me which post got me banned lol plus plenty of people say waaayyyyyy worrrse hate filled vile, yet never banned because its an 'opinion of criticism', but my comments warrent as console warring. yikes!

/s because i need to be safe LOL and this will probably be reported by the person who keeps doing it to spite me

Deleted member 27315

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Ι believe they ban if there are many reports. I have had 3 bans here(for one day each) without any legit reason(just for my opinion, for ex. the worst i did was when I said the word triggered after one of my opinions). Initially I believed it was my mistake because English is not my native language.
I am 20 years in forums and I never have been banned. In the third one I really thought that I will not post or be here again. I hope they will fix this. It's annoying.

And I see a pattern here after your post. For some reason they protect pc gamers? I don't know. I hope they will not ban me for this.

Last edited:

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Do we still have insiders claiming the PS5 is going to be more powerful than series X? To me all signs are pointing towards Xbox having the slight edge but at a higher price point while Sony will be slightly weaker and cheaper. The sudden game awards drop and naming convention of Xbox also points towards a cheaper Xbox to undercut Sony. I just find it weird that people are expecting Sony to come out with a beast system while keeping a low price point which is clearly their goal.

Dec 31, 2017
We don't know the specifics for the SSDs in either console. It's very possible the ps5 ssd will outshine the xsx. If that's the case, you will probably be able to tell in first party games. Also, it's a PR bullet point. Sony can say something like "fastest loading games ever".
Except Xbox Series X is already the following: Fastest. Most Powerful. :p

Patent

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jul 2, 2018
North Carolina
it's happening here too. i guess im a console warrior that is hostile. perhaps i should end all of my comments with /s just to be safe lol
the last ban didnt even tell me which post got me banned lol plus plenty of people say waaayyyyyy worrrse hate filled vile, yet never banned because its an 'opinion of criticism', but my comments warrent as console warring. yikes!

/s because i need to be safe LOL and this will probably be reported by the person who keeps doing it to spite me
Maybe don't say bad things that need an /s, Give your actual opinion because shit posting and then going i'm just kidding isn't conductive to productive conversations.
I just wonder when we get to 20 TF
Just wondering what? You think the numbers are to high to now so i'm not sure how that changes anything from your perspective, The one thing i'm certain of in this thread is that we have no idea whats achievable from either company but a lot keep acting like they do

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South

You're talking in pretty absolute terms for someone that neither knows the tech either console is packing and/nor has any clue about what is or isn't possible in terms of storage tech.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Do we still have insiders claiming the PS5 is going to be more powerful than series X? To me all signs are pointing towards Xbox having the slight edge but at a higher price point while Sony will be slightly weaker and cheaper. The sudden game awards drop and naming convention of Xbox also points towards a cheaper Xbox to undercut Sony. I just find it weird that people are expecting Sony to come out with a beast system while keeping a low price point which is clearly their goal.

What signs though? I don't think there is enough info or insider speak to make that inference yet...other than what? There are two Xbox so the more powerful one may retail for a higher price?

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
Interesting article regarding HBM:

semiengineering.com

What’s Next For High Bandwidth Memory

Different approaches for breaking down the memory wall.

Seems highly unlikely that PS5 comes with HBM... I'm open to being surprised tho!

If it is only 8 GB of HBM2E and 8, 12 or 16 GB of DDR4 it is ok

Three years ago, HBM cost about $120/GB. Today, the unit prices for HBM2 (16GB with 4 stack DRAM dies) is roughly $120, according to TechInsights. That doesn't even include the cost of the package.

With 8GB and two stacks I suppose the cost is only 60 dollars and with info_MS the package cost is reduced and this is the price for low volume.

It's difficult to reduce the costs. 2.5D is a steady market, but the volumes are relatively small and not enough to offset what is a complex manufacturing process.

It would help the a lot to reduce cost of HBM...

That pricing sounds about right. Assuming the driving factor is GB and not stack count (which is more fair without a logic die at the base), then the Radeon 7 would have about $240 worth of memory, and the price premium appears to be about 50% more than GDDR6.

I think 8GB and 2 stack DRAM dies would be ok, 60 dollars if they can add another type of RAM and use HBCC. ;) And this is the price with a low order volume.

Last edited:

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
Maybe don't say bad things that need an /s, Give your actual opinion because shit posting and then going i'm just kidding isn't conductive to productive conversations.

Just wondering what? You think the numbers are to high to now so i'm not sure how that changes anything from your perspective, The one thing i'm certain of in this thread is that we have no idea whats achievable from either company but a lot keep acting like they do
youre right, i shouldnt call out the original shit posters with their same type of energy and hope that moderators check on it. because in the end im the one that gets banned lmao.

Decade_2050

May 19, 2019
So Far things seem to be fitting together.

If we assume that the April PS5 DEV kit Rumor of nearly 13TF for the PS5 was correct and now assume that the 12TF(at least) for XBSX is correct then this makes the gap Between 0 and 7% (<1TF) this fits with what Klee mentioned as to the PS5 being slightly faster . So 12 to 13 seems pretty reasonable

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
If it is only 8 GB of HBM2E amd 8, 12 or 16 GB of DDR4 it is ok

With 8GB and two stacks I suppose the cost is only 60 dollars and with info_MS the package cost is reduced and this is price for low volume.

It would help the a lot to reduce cost of HBM...
The key here would be integrating the controller die into the SoC rather than needing one for each stack.

ynos_gnusmas, if you're out there, my DMs are open ;)

Last edited:

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ι believe they ban if there are many reports. I have had 3 bans here(for one day each) without any legit reason(just for my opinion, for ex. the worst i did was when I said the word triggered after one of my opinion). I am 20 years in forums and I never have been banned. In the third one I really thought that I will not post or be here again. I hope they will fix this. It's annoying.

And I see a pattern here after your post. For some reason they protect pc gamers? I don't know. I hope they will not ban me for this.
Here? I have been banned for making fun of PC gamers, xbox, nintendo games, Sony's first party line up and everything in between. i dont think they protect anyone. from what i understand, every ban is reviewed by multiple mods and i doubt they are all PC fanboys. its just that if you are constantly joking about pc gamers then you are going to become a target. same goes for anything else really.

the trick here is to not joke around system wars. or say anything remotely controversial. i do agree that people are very report happy on era, and that puts undue pressure on mods. they have been very lenient in this thread though lately ive seen a lot of regulars get banned here so it seems things will be far more strict from now on. just keep your head down and try not to upset anyone. its impossible because someone is bound to take offense so you will get banned no matter what. its just part of posting on era. embrace the bans. thankfully they dont last months.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
I got perma banned from SonyGAF for asking "What's the average age of a GAF poster?". All the while there are just straignht up not even low-key fan boys that have a permanent free pass for some reason. What a maddening place.

Me thinks the mods there are just bored.
You probably got banned for baiting people with SonyGAF (like you just did) and to be honest most of the time you drop in this thread it's only to grief some people. Would not hurt to see a bit more effort out of your posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.