• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Klee also confirmed slightly over 12 NAVI TFLOPS

Does DF not have goood inside sources with MS anymore?
If it is 12 TFlops RDNA (2.0?) then AMD have some magic in store for CES2020 and Phil just undersold the console to a general audience.

I hope the insiders are right. It would be brilliant for everyone (who didn't upgrade their PC this year...).

good lord. The reaching going on in this thread is next level.

Or should I say next generation.

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
Let's see. If AMD don't have mind blowing performance/efficiency gains, we'll know.

I should say it's not guaranteed that AMD will present them at CES2020 but that's what the rumors are saying.

---

When Phil talks to gamers and tells them it will be twice as powerful, they think 60fps instead of 30 at the same resolution. Double the performance. Not twice the teraflops, but I know that's where we are at thanks to rumors that we few have been paying attention to.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2019
I made another PS5 concept. This one seems better I think. Still has the V shape.
FeKTo08.jpg

NhEJxUd.jpg
EQ1oR1q.jpg
DW72dCv.jpg

Deleted member 10747

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It wouldn't be much of a blunder at all. MS only gave multipliers and those are true. The conclusions drawn from that are on the people who decided to do that. Besides, the vast majority of people have no clue what a TF is anyway. This would have no bearing on anything.

The 'strongest console' thing is protected by how they've worded that as well.
It doesn't need to be a blunder per se but it is again unnecessary messaging. And you are right they gave multipliers but why would you let it linger if its wrong? Yes the majority of people don't know what a flop is but they do know that 2x6=12 and not 10.X. If people are going to question MS wording that's not a good thing.

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
That looks really good, CrimsonNocturne

Did they comment anything about upgarding the Sex mid gen?
If the first console has RTX then it's definitely going to happen - think of how easy it will be to market an upgrade after adding some more RTX cores (among other things) in a few years. The videos would sell it.

I mean, it will happen anyway, why wouldn't it.

Crazy_KiD_169

Jun 21, 2018
Every single time a source comes out and says a high spec # for the next gen consoles. Someone tries to down play it and start talking about some low specs. Lol

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
This is way simpler than the conspiracy theorists and tinfoil hat wearers are making it out to be out of some bizarre fear the Series X will be slightly more powerful than the PS5.

Microsoft trumpeted "6TF" for the entire marketing lead up of the One X.

They're now saying (or Phil is) " 2 times the GPU power". 2 x 6 = 12 people. Primary school math.

All this RDNA flops vs GCN flops vs Navi flops is just GAF leftovers channeling onQ23's "Pro is FP16 so it's actually an 8TF console" horse shit.

Sid

Banned
Mar 28, 2018
That looks really good, CrimsonNocturne

If the first console has RTX then it's definitely going to happen - think of how easy it will be to market an upgrade after adding some more RTX cores (among other things) in a few years. The videos would sell it.

I mean, it will happen anyway, why wouldn't it.
I think it will happen too I just wanted to know if someone from MS made a dumb comment and hinted at it

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Why are RDNA TFLOPs more than GCN TFLOPs?
TFLOPS are most basically measuring compute power which GCN was a beast at, RDNA has toned down the compute but increased in other areas, that's why a 10 TFLOP 5700 XT beats a 12.5 TFLOP Vega 64, the 5700 XT tends to be clocked almost 500mhz higher.
The GCN TFLOPS has been a point of argument for a long time, people claiming the Vega 64 beats the 1080 Ti & so on, it's not a surprise the shitposting comes to Consoles to.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
If it is 12 TFlops RDNA (2.0?) then AMD have some magic in store for CES2020 and Phil just undersold the console to a general audience.

I hope the insiders are right. It would be brilliant for everyone (who didn't sell a limb to upgrade their PC this year...).

Who knows what kind of new GPU's will be on the market. Nexy year jump may be huge and these consoles won't seem as powerful.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Finally, we're back to talking about what he actually said!

"We did the math - 2x the power of X1X"

Power doesn't just mean teraflops. It should take into consideration efficiency and be based on what the final actual performance is like. I'm not saying it's impossible that it's 12TFlops RDNA 2.0 and he just simply meant 6->12 but that seems like a long shot.

That was my thinking too. It makes pretty much no sense to be talking about 2x performance with regards to TFlops, when it would actually mean closer to 2.5x or to 3x (RDNA 2.0 mystery factor) the real world performance. He didn't say "more than 2x".

Unless Sony actually doesn't know the specs somehow and he's trying to undersell it at this stage or maybe he got it wrong or was actually just talking about teraflops for some reason.
But that sounds to me like wishful thinking to be honest. I know klee said 12 TF RDNA 2.0 but it could have been a misunderstanding. RDNA 2.0 and equivalent to about 12 TFlops GCN. That would actually make it seem plausible to be in a console unless AMD turned into efficiency wizards. The 5700XT was super hot.
Exactly. If it's 12 RDNA TF someone needs to explain why MS is only claiming 2x and not a much higher performance gain. Period.

MS will have a riot on their hands with the 12 TF numbers floating around if this is the case, and I'm sure they know that, which makes me believe it's actually 12 TF and not "equivalent to 12 GCN TF".
It's entirely not MS's fault if people throw around TF numbers when they have never even touched the matter.

The only promise to which they've committed is "2x the GPU power", which is easy to accomplish.

Every single time a source comes out and says a high spec # for the next gen consoles. Someone tries to down play it and start talking about some low specs. Lol
Discussing what Microsoft said is not downplaying, it's adhering to reality.

DocH1X1

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
This is way simpler than the conspiracy theorists and tinfoil hat wearers are making it out to be out of some bizarre fear the Series X will be slightly more powerful than the PS5.

They're now saying (or Phil is) " 2 times the GPU power". 2 x 6 = 12 people. Primary school math.

All this RDNA flops vs GCN flops vs Navi flops is just GAF leftovers channeling onQ23's "Pro is FP16 so it's actually an 8TF console" horse shit.
Couldnt have said it better myself /thread

zedox

Oct 28, 2017

We shall see if history repeats itself. We don't have long to wait to see the specs of both of these devices.

Aug 26, 2019

The simplest answer is the best answer.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Exactly. If it's 12 RDNA TF someone needs to explain why MS is only claiming 2x and not a much higher performance gain. Period.

It's entirely not MS's fault if people throw around TF numbers when they have never even touched the matter.

The only promise to which they've committed is "2x the GPU power", which is easy to accomplish.

Discussing what Microsoft said is not downplaying, it's adhering to reality.
12 TF is literally 2x 6 TF, and TF is the basic measure of GPU compute power. It really is as simple as that. You can say a 12 TF RDNA GPU would be 2.5x the speed of the One X GPU, but in terms of raw power it's only 2x.

DIEHARD

Dec 6, 2019
Hey, saw this spin in another forum:
XBOX SERIES X GPU Alone will be almost 3 times more powerful than XBOX ONE X. Details: XBOX ONE X: 6 Teraflops GCN XBOX SERIES X: 12 TERAFLOPS RDNA 2.0 RDNA 2.0 is about 40-50% more powerful than GCN What that means is: 12 TERFALOPS RDNA 2.0 x 40% would equal to: 16.8 TERAFLOPS GCN which is almost 18 TFPS. 18 TFPS of GCN is 3 times more powerful than XBOX ONE X GCN GPU which is only 6 TFPS. That's how you would explain it.​

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
So aside from Senua's character model in the Hellblade 2 trailer, there were a few other scenes in there where the camera switched to a first-person perspective. There was also that scene at the end with the giant rock monster dude thing. Those looked fairly achievable right? I could totally buy that being what next-gen graphics look like.

EDIT - This is the rock monster dude thing I'm talking about. He reminds me of Kronos from GoW3!

yeah, that scene with the dudes walking through the rain storm looked almost like a gameplay shot/perspective. so crazy hyped for this. senua's sacrafice was awesome despite being very limited in the gameplay department. it just needs to be expanded upon.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
TFLOPS are most basically measuring compute power which GCN was a beast at, RDNA has toned down the compute but increased in other areas, that's why a 10 TFLOP 5700 XT beats a 12.5 TFLOP Vega 64, the 5700 XT tends to be clocked almost 500mhz higher.
The GCN TFLOPS has been a point of argument for a long time, people claiming the Vega 64 beats the 1080 Ti & so on, it's not a surprise the shitposting comes to Consoles to.
A TFLOP = Teraflop = A trillion floating point operations per second.

It does not matter what GPU you are on. Some GPU's are more efficient than others, but that calculation does not ever change.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Hey, saw this spin in another forum:
XBOX SERIES X GPU Alone will be almost 3 times more powerful than XBOX ONE X. Details: XBOX ONE X: 6 Teraflops GCN XBOX SERIES X: 12 TERAFLOPS RDNA 2.0 RDNA 2.0 is about 40-50% more powerful than GCN What that means is: 12 TERFALOPS RDNA 2.0 x 40% would equal to: 16.8 TERAFLOPS GCN which is almost 18 TFPS. 18 TFPS of GCN is 3 times more powerful than XBOX ONE X GCN GPU which is only 6 TFPS. That's how you would explain it.

Imagine Phil saying that at E3! 🤣

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
why joke ? Who could be upset of 12tf nextbox, only pc fanboys and sony ponies :-)

In reality, yes. People posing as good samaritans to "correct" false information, when they're not even the source of it to begin with. All boats rise with the tide. 12TF GPUs and SSDs are good for all gamers. Raising the bar for the least common denominator is a good thing. Hence the genuine concern from consumers and developers alike for Lockhart.

Status
Not open for further replies.