• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017
I think I read final devkits will be sent to devs around E3 2020, correct?

If so then what are the chances the final devkit will be >9TF?

Jun 18, 2018
What an odd couple of days. I know we're extrapolating potential PS5 specs from tiny tidbits and things don't add up right now, but but the recent PS5 info has put me on a downer. I'm platform agnostic, but this is the first gen where I didn't pick up an MS box because both the hardware and software went in a different direction to what I enjoy, whilst Sony doubled down on what I love in console gaming. If MS has the better box and Halo: Infinite manages to encapsulate the best of the genre then I'll pick it up at launch, but will be sad Sony won't be at the forefront of my path onto the next gen.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
I think I read final devkits will be sent to devs around E3 2020, correct?

If so then what are the chances the final devkit will be >9TF?

Yeah final kits from around July but if Sony follow what they did with PS4 the APU/RAM won't change or will only be tweaked. I'd imagine if the reveal is in February then they'll want demos to be on final spec hardware?

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What an odd couple of days. I know we're extrapolating potential PS5 specs from tiny tidbits and things don't add up right now, but but the recent PS5 info has put me on a downer. I'm platform agnostic, but this is the first gen where I didn't pick up an MS box because both the hardware and software went in a different direction to what I enjoy, whilst Sony doubled down on what I love in console gaming. If MS has the better box and Halo: Infinite manages to encapsulate the best of the genre then I'll pick it up at launch, but will be sad Sony won't be at the forefront of my path onto the next gen.
Halo Infinite has to be good. If it's great I can see MS getting a lot of their fans back that switched this gen. Halo is one of those games.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It won't since it's a separate chip .
Cerny words were There is ray-tracing acceleration in the GPU hardware .
So you saying the integrate the chip into the GPU part of the APU .
These are there latest chips.

Mind you all i finding on them is for lower power stuff like mobile for eg .
Ah i see. Thanks.

Yet another thing that doesn't add up. Remember the ram bandwidth leak doesn't line up with the flute leak either.

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah final kits from around July but if Sony follow what they did with PS4 the APU/RAM won't change or will only be tweaked. I'd imagine if the reveal is in February then they'll want demos to be on final spec hardware?

Right but seeing how this devkit doesn't contain HW RT, I think the final devkit will be a lot different.

With maybe higher TFs, idk Im trying to make sense how Klee and Jason Schrier said the 2 consoles are practically the same.

dmix90

Oct 25, 2017
So do folks arguing 12 TF GCN also insist Lockhart is 4 TF GCN too?
6628.jpg

Boom

4TF GCN aint happening. That thing won't even be able to replicate X1X performance for BC and they definitely won't run BC etc in OG Xbox One mode on a new console.

It's 12TF RDNA

Jun 18, 2018
Halo Infinite has to be good. If it's great I can see MS getting a lot of their fans back that switched this gen. Halo is one of those games.

I hope so, but Halo means many different things to many different people by now. I'm one of those that still think the blueprint for the perfect Halo game lies in the first's Silent Cartographer level. I hope the new Halo can find a way to balance the story it wants to tell with more explorative, open sections.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
big oof at those studio acquisition rumors. Looks like much of this has been accurate tho.

asobo wasn't a terrible guess considering it was pre-flightsim announcement

but I think beyond the giant whiff on acquisitions, rumors don't point to an AI chip and the SSD had better be faster than 1GB/s

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I mean it is possible series x when they say 2x performance/flops they are making a gcn conversion. In fact I'd say it's a pretty strong likelihood MS marketing folks are doing exactly that.

I don't really see how that possibility relates at all to lockheart, a system that hasn't been publicly announced and we have no MS public statements on.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't looked at this thread in a week
wtf happened here? Last time I looked here I saw mentions of HBM and now y'all are talking about a 9TF PS4 Pro 2 or PS5?

score01

Oct 27, 2017
Just catching up with the thread but if PS5 is only 36CU then it is damn disappointing.

They went from 18 cu (PS4) to 36 cu (PS4 Pro) and their next gen machine has the same number of cu? Couldn't they have continued with the butterfly design and added a third wing, so you have 18cu, 18cu, 18cu so you could have full 54CU in PS5 mode and then deactivate 18cu for each Bc mode?

What was the point of all the r&d with design and breaking through the 64cu GCN limit if you were just sticking with 36CU?

Real bizarro twist. This has been some ride so far!

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
Right but seeing how this devkit doesn't contain HW RT, I think the final devkit will be a lot different.

With maybe higher TFs, idk Im trying to make sense how Klee and Jason Schrier said the 2 consoles are practically the same.

Well it isn't referenced in that Github source apparently but it doesn't actually mean it isn't there at all. In any case I'm going into the reveal thinking <10TF and then can come out grinning if >10TF.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just catching up with the thread but if PS5 is only 36CU then it is damn disappointing.

They went from 18 cu (PS4) to 36 cu (PS4 Pro) and their next gen machine has the same number of cu? Couldn't they have continued with the butterfly design and added a third wing, so you have 18cu, 18cu, 18cu so you could have full 54CU in PS5 mode and then deactivate 18cu for each Bc mode?

What was the point of all the r&d with design and breaking through the 64cu GCN limit if you were just sticking with 36CU?

Real bizarro twist. This has been some ride so far!

amd still wants to make a large die high end discrete gpu for lots of reasons. The console market isn't their reason to want more than 64 cus at all.

Oct 25, 2017
You lot are all fucking crazy.

The two consoles will be somewhat similar in power because console wars just aren't that interesting at the end of the day.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
Hmmm. Nope, I will deny that reality and substitute my own. 13tf PS5 for me. If it comes in under that I'll be fine with it. I'm too old to be freaking out about this shit.

PrimeRib

Nov 16, 2017
Hmmm. Nope, I will deny that reality and substitute my own. 13tf PS5 for me. If it comes in under that I'll be fine with it. I'm too old to be freaking out about this shit.

Amen. Hardware, SOC, everything is all speculation until it's formally announced. No sense capitulating until we "officially" know more about how these consoles will perform upon retail release.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Why would you need more than 4 GCN TF for 1080p gaming on a budget console below 400€ ? Just use proven cheaper technology to reach that low entry price.
It is not that we are arguing GCN TF, Spencer was the one that said double XBX and 10 times vanilla XBO performance. And that happens to be... around 12GCN TF. But maybe you believe insiders more than a MS guy. Had he said double TF things would be more ambiguous considering insider info. But he didn't.
I also think it just makes common sense to keep next generation reasonably affordable, so something in the 10 RDNA TF is really good, and around the usual jump in performance each generation.

Last edited:

Evodelu

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 19, 2019
Well it isn't referenced in that Github source apparently but it doesn't actually mean it isn't there at all. In any case I'm going into the reveal thinking <10TF and then can come out grinning if >10TF.
Navi10 doesn't have RT. This ain't what we'll be seeing in the reveal next year.

I'm till firmly on team 12-14TF.

Status
Not open for further replies.