• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
If the worst case scenario is 10 VS 12-the difference is nothing.

I disagree. However, mitigating performance oriented visual processes like checkerboarding solutions and dynamic resolutions have come significantly far to aid in performance with minimal hit to IQ in real time.

Next gen promises hardware support for ARS/VRS (which is apparently patented by MS... so I intrigued to know how this will play with PS5) and that would be of significant benefit to performance on all systems.

And of course, given the birth and evolution these technologies over the current gen, other brand new solutions might as well pop up next gen.

All in all, that ~2TF calculation advantage will inevitably account for something especially when it comes to third parties.

Of course, as you aptly put, "worst case scenario". I am expecting the difference to be within 1TF (for my worst case scenario).

May 30, 2018
you mean PS NOW?

I feel Sony is holding something back with PS NOW until the PS5 is revealed/launch

some new strategy and new features/ideas

They have to be, I haven't used the service in years, but the offerings were horrible and there was a ton of input lag

If they announced a boatload of PS1-3 classics, maybe some flagship classics with enhancements, offered the option to download them all and at a reasonable price, they could compete with Gamepass. Add this with PS4 full BC, then this could be a solid BC solution

I don't think Gamepass trying to be the Next Netflix of Games is something Sony should copy, but if PSNOW is how they wanna tackle BC I hope they revamp it in time for PS5 launch

I wouldn't even care if they had a bare launch lineup if PSNOW 2.0 offered what I suggested. Would be a killer app

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
The only reason 10TF is even a rumor is because the 5700XT has 40 CUs and some folks still can't see past that card. In an alternate universe where AMD released the 5500XT as the first Navi card, this thread is probably fearmongering over a 6TF PS5.

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
I would say a 2TF, or in this case 20% difference is more than "nothing".

The only reason 10TF is even a rumor is because the 5700XT has 40 CUs and some folks still can't see past that card. In an alternate universe where AMD released the 5500XT as the first Navi card, this thread is probably fearmongering over a 6TF PS5.
That's not why. The rumor via the Asian Message board was PS5 apu size is 300mm2.

DukeBlueBall calculated the Xbox Scarlett devkit from the Anaconda renders to be 360mm2.

Unless something drastically changed - the information is Gonzalo being 300mm2, running at 2ghz, and having the score it does - points us to a 10.2 TF APU. Just my opinion

This is where we are deriving these numbers.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA

Personally I got it from this:

RGT said:
I messaged Komachi on Twitter (as we usually swap leaks) and asked if he had more info. He said he can't reveal where he got the info as he didn't want anyone to be in trouble, but he didn't have any more info on the "Oberon Native". This means the number of Compute Units running at full operating potential (AKA, in PS5 software).

He then said "BC1 is 40CU, BC2 is 18CU, and native is unknown. Perhaps BC means Back Compatible."

PS4 Pros is 36CUs, so BC2 is likely BC for PS4 Pro. The fact that BC2 has 4CUs increase over 36CUs makes me wonder if there are 40CUs total. It's a possibility.

Maybe there is a reason why BC2 is limited to 40CUs when there are more than 40 total.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Btw, has anyone talked about the rumour (iirc, NXG mentioned this in his vid on SeX) that xCloud might be leveraged (for those with access) to give instantaneous access to those who use physical media while it installs onto the SSD?

Setting aside the massive, impromptu resource requirement, does anyone see Sony doing the same? After all, there is no getting away from that first installation.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Btw, has anyone talked about the rumour (iirc, NXG mentioned this in his vid on SeX) that xCloud might be leveraged (for those with access) to give instantaneous access to those who use physical media while it installs onto the SSD?

Setting aside the massive, impromptu resource requirement, does anyone see Sony doing the same? After all, there is no getting away from that first installation.

Someone connected to a developer actually mentioned this feature in the very first next-gen speculation OT a long, long time ago. I think he was talking about PS5 but I'm not sure, I'd have to go back to read the post again.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I was thinking plates with heatpipes, connected to a heat sink on either side.

Sort of like this:

12AlrpH.png

Like these boys:

9TQRSzs.png

Of course it's probably nothing like this, and I guess there are other reasons something like this wouldn't work, but fun to think about. Even if it could work I imagine it would be expensive.

Hmm, how about a chiplet design with different chiplets on either side of the motherboard? Or is that impractical/impossible?

Oct 25, 2017
Also don't we pretty much already have games with no load times (fallen order)? Basically you will get intro load times down to almost nothing and not see the noticeable hitching you see in fallen order. Basically if you have a PC. Sure, it's nice, but it's not like some kind of mind blowing thing. In some ways I kind of like loading times. Gives my mind and my hands a break or a piss break. Sure you can press pause but I'm not gonna have a conniption if there's 30 second loads every now and then.

No load times in Fallen Order? What exactly do you think those shimmying through openings is hiding? Load times. Fallen Order is like the textbook example of game design to hide load times.

Ad-Infinitum

Nov 1, 2017

Okay, I just had a crazy idea RE: the Sony motherboard/ heatsink patent. What if, in the context of the patent annotations, the following were to be true:

Item (5) is the PS5 APU. Item (5c) is the CPU positioned upright, with a heatsink (item [9]) placed above it. Item (5d) is the GPU positioned upside down, connected to a thermal conduction plate (5a), and thus the heat conduction path ([11], aided by [31] & [32]) within the board itself (item [10]). Item (5b) would simply represent the interface between the APU and the board.

Surely this would double the efficiency of cooling applied to the APU (as the CPU and GPU each have their own heatsink), in addition to ensuring that the APU itself has a much smaller footprint on the board (at the expense of added height/ thickness due to the nature of the design)?

Also, as the diagram within the patent is labelled as "abstracted" (and thus representative of function, yet not form) is it possible that Gofreak's extrapolated heatsink positioning is the final piece of the puzzle? Would such repositioning allow Sony to adhere to a more traditional console form factor whilst simultaneously pushing the clocks on the CPU and GPU?

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia

Play via the cloud while you install in the background was actually something Cerny talked about during the PS4 reveal lol.

Edit : Mistaken, it was play via the cloud instantly as a demo before you buy it idea and not Cerny, but then Gaikai President.

Last edited:

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
I don't believe PS5
Okay, I just had a crazy idea RE: the Sony motherboard/ heatsink patent. What if, in the context of the patent annotations, the following were to be true:

Item (5) is the PS5 APU. Item (5c) is the CPU positioned upright, with a heatsink (item [9]) placed above it. Item (5d) is the GPU positioned upside down, connected to a thermal conduction plate (5a), and thus the heat conduction path ([11], aided by [31] & [32]) within the board itself (item [10]). Item (5b) would simply represent the interface between the APU and the board.

Surely this would double the efficiency of cooling applied to the APU (as the CPU and GPU each have their own heatsink), in addition to ensuring that the APU itself has a much smaller footprint on the board (at the expense of added height/ thickness due to the nature of the design)?

Also, as the diagram within the patent is labelled as "abstracted" (and thus representative of function, yet not form) is it possible that Gofreak's extrapolated heatsink positioning is the final piece of the puzzle? Would such repositioning allow Sony to adhere to a more traditional console form factor whilst simultaneously pushing the clocks on the CPU and GPU?

Very interesting theory/idea.

edit:

Cd0zwDP.jpg

Hyped.

Oct 25, 2017
That's not why. The rumor via the Asian Message board was PS5 apu size is 300mm2.

DukeBlueBall calculated the Xbox Scarlett devkit from the Anaconda renders to be 360mm2.

Unless something drastically changed - the information is Gonzalo being 300mm2, running at 2ghz, and having the score it does - points us to a 10.2 TF APU. Just my opinion

Well it is not like we have a guy in here that told you those numbers are wrong or anything.

Primordialform

Alt-Account
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Personally I got it from this:

PS4 Pros is 36CUs, so BC2 is likely BC for PS4 Pro. The fact that BC2 has 4CUs increase over 36CUs makes me wonder if there are 40CUs total. It's a possibility.

Maybe there is a reason why BC2 is limited to 40CUs when there are more than 40 total.
If there are 40CUs total, then wouldn't it make more sense for the PS4 BC mode to be 20CUs? Since you'd be deactivating half the GPU...

Something doesn't add up here.

Deleted member 19767

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I just want to say thanks for being forthcoming and responsive with the information you can share.
I've seen countless 'insiders' tease, disappear, ignore questions etc. However it's good to see someone with knowledge answer questions and provide some reasonably definitive answers (where possible).

Cant wait for the February reveal.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like Hellblade II showed us that the visual bar can be raised but it seems as if Sony is pushing a narrative to distract us away from graphics (aka loading times), which could be a sign that they're not as competitive in that area.

giphy.gif

If MS releases Lockhart, Sony will have a graphical advantage by default even if the specs are lower than Series X. PS5 exclusives would always have a tech advantage over games designed to run on Lockhart.

Sunlight

Apr 22, 2019

The rumor is PS5 300mm2, xbox 350mm2.

In 7nm+ it is another story. 12TF is probable.

Oct 25, 2017
Wait how does the SSD on the ps5 not matter?
I was wondering the same thing.

Both Sony and MS have placed importance on the SSD and speed. It shows how vital it is to the next gen consoles. As such, if Sony does go all out and make sure to have a really fast SSD, it will certainly make a difference.

There were just a few comments suggesting it wouldn't matter even if Sony does have a really good SSD.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
RGT/Komachi didn't know how many CUs were active in Oberon's native mode. BC2 running with 40 when Pro has 36 is certainly interesting by itself though.
Play via the cloud while you install in the background was actually something Cerny talked about during the PS4 reveal lol.

Edit : Mistaken, it was play via the cloud instantly as a demo before you buy it idea and not Cerny, but then Gaikai President.
They also mentioned partial game installs which I don't think any PS4 support. Hopefully PS5 actually delivers on that.

Aug 26, 2019
And now we have rumors that MS is planning a reveal event for April or May...it seems that both are doing something similar to their PS4/XBO reveal schedules with the exception of the early XSX announcement and the PS5 Wired articles.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
They also mentioned partial game installs which I don't think any PS4 support. Hopefully PS5 actually delivers on that.
I wouldn't count on it since it will probably be a feature which depends on developer support, and as we've seen with a similar PS4 feature which allows you to install one part of the game before the other parts (Single Player before Multiplayer for example) close to no developers support it.

ArabianPrynce

Jun 1, 2019
How does ssds work? Like when Digital foundry talk about they talk about how it works with ram? i thought ssds just makes things load faster. Also if the ssd read speeds are just 4gbs per send how is that gonna change anything when games next gen are going to be way fucking bigger than current gen. Most games today are around 100gb next gen is gonna exceed that.

For those that are willing plz explain. thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.