• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 10, 2019
How is a 2 Ghz GPU even remotely possible in a console? I've seen a lot of talk about it but I can't figure out if it's a joke, trolling, or actually serious.
New and improved N7P, N7+ or N6 process
New and innovative cooling solution
A lot bigger footprint than last gen consoles

You need all that combined to happen and even in that case it's a HUGE stretch.
So far no regular desktop GPU is running close to 2GHz base clock.
To get 2GHz without throttling you need to undervolt and water cool your GPU

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
Sony may have done something more with their SSD, but logically it can't be too much of a differentiation except for possibly some specific application in first party games here and there.
  • SSDs at all in these consoles is the true game changing thing, so game design changes can be considered with just that baseline massive change
  • Xbox must be pretty confident too in whatever they have chosen to do because they had no problem saying "virtually eliminating loading times" in their messaging with the Xbox Series X reveal
  • 3rd party developers are likely targeting consoles and PC in most cases, and most PCs won't even have SSDs at the level of the Xbox Series X even if it is "slower"

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Sony may have done something more with their SSD, but logically it can't be too much of a differentiation except for possibly some specific application in first party games here and there.
  • SSDs at all in these consoles is the true game changing thing, so game design changes can be considered with just that baseline massive change
  • Xbox must be pretty confident too in whatever they have chosen to do because they had no problem saying "virtually eliminating loading times" in their messaging with the Xbox Series X reveal
  • 3rd party developers are likely targeting consoles and PC in most cases, and most PCs won't even have SSDs at the level of the Xbox Series X even if it is "slower"

If you read there patent you can see what they doing or at least trying to do .
As for 3rd parties some will take advantage and other won't just the way it's always been .

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
If you read there patent you can see what they doing or at least trying to do .
As for 3rd parties some will take advantage and other won't just the way it's always been .

There are plenty of games currently that smartly deal with things much better than others even with the crappy slow HDDs, so just not sold that fundamental game design is that impacted beyond the admittedly amazing upgrade to SSD speeds at all in these consoles.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You are safe to say these things.

I am not.
source.gif

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
Major off topic but I wanted to follow up from the other day when I went off-topic sorry. So I told you last Weds or w/e that I pulled the trigger on a 1X because of gamepass. I really don't like the UI and JFO runs like absolute ass. I mean absolute freaking ass. I was really hoping that was not going to be the case. Really happy with game pass though, all of these Xbox games I have wanted to play, as well as some stuff I was already planning to purchase. incredible value.
JFO runs like shit on base PS4.The first game this whole gen for me,i was really shocked how bad it was.I got a PC version few weeks after i finished it and it's night and day...

brokenswiftie

Prophet of Truth
Banned
May 30, 2018
Made some renders on how the "dark tower" will look in a typical home setup
It's pretty big, won't fit in my TV stand so ill have to keep the console on the stand next to the TV, same like the switch
but the look is growing on me, it blends in pretty well with everything

iNGydxN.jpg

AGd14vd.jpg

bY258uX.jpg

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
It's pretty big, won't fit in my TV stand so ill have to keep the console on the stand next to the TV, same like the switch

iNGydxN.jpg

AGd14vd.jpg

bY258uX.jpg
My favorite designed console ever.. Damn that's sleek. It looks powerful and premium.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017

iNGydxN.jpg

AGd14vd.jpg

bY258uX.jpg
I really like the aesthetics but I don't care for how it looks like that. Good work though.

klik

Banned
Apr 4, 2018

iNGydxN.jpg

AGd14vd.jpg

bY258uX.jpg
Good job. Usually i don't care that much about console looks but this is one really blends with TV surround units

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
3rd party developers are likely targeting consoles and PC in most cases, and most PCs won't even have SSDs at the level of the Xbox Series X even if it is "slower"
So ? If that helped to handle better LOD on distant object, they can take full advantage of it and be ahead of PC on that front.
Nobody are saying "third party won't support Ray tracing because it is only available on high end PC".

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017

iNGydxN.jpg

AGd14vd.jpg

bY258uX.jpg
from what i've read, the renders have been guessing wrong and all have been a bit higher/larger than what it actually is. Maybe im out of the loops on the latest info. were you able to get some verification on exact dimensions?

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017

iNGydxN.jpg

AGd14vd.jpg

bY258uX.jpg

I like the design but it's huge and it doesn't look good when put on horizontal position.

Dimajjio

Oct 13, 2019
I wonder if there's a design reason for having the top grille having a dip towards the middle or just aesthetics?

Kaelan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
The rumour (claiming PS Meeting for January 22 at Sony Hall) is a couple of months old. The thing is that since then Sony Hall has booked out a bunch of January but the 22nd (and the 21st and 23rd, possibly needed for setup and dismantling) remain unbooked. Of course there are also like 8 other days that are also unbooked so it's hardly set in stone or anything, but I think it's interesting.

Interesting indeed. I expected February but this makes sense too

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

iNGydxN.jpg

AGd14vd.jpg

bY258uX.jpg

yeah we're gonna see a lot of people putting this thing on the ground like a subwoofer.

ms might actually need a smaller console out of market necessity.

brokenswiftie

Prophet of Truth
Banned
May 30, 2018
from what i've read, the renders have been guessing wrong and all have been a bit higher/larger than what it actually is. Maybe im out of the loops on the latest info. were you able to get some verification on exact dimensions?
I used the USB port and disk slot size as my reference and took average
it's around 156x156x310 in my pictures
I like the design but it's huge and it doesn't look good when put on horizontal position.
yeah if the bottom circular base is not removable it doesn't look as good in horizontal

JaggedSac

Oct 25, 2017
Burbs of Atlanta

iNGydxN.jpg

AGd14vd.jpg

bY258uX.jpg

Personal preference and all, but I would move it to the back and move the plant to the other side.

xolsec

Feb 18, 2018
New and improved N7P, N7+ or N6 process
New and innovative cooling solution
A lot bigger footprint than last gen consoles

You need all that combined to happen and even in that case it's a HUGE stretch.
So far no regular desktop GPU is running close to 2GHz base clock.
To get 2GHz without throttling you need to undervolt and water cool your GPU

That's a huge risk or financially prohibitive though. But I guess this is a speculation thread after all

Status
Not open for further replies.