• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

When do you think the PS5 reveal will take place?

• January

Votes: 6 0.3%
  • February

Votes: 1,172 65.7%
  • March

Votes: 273 15.3%
  • April

Votes: 81 4.5%
  • May

Votes: 116 6.5%
  • June

Votes: 48 2.7%
  • Later

Votes: 89 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Once the ps meeting is announced there will be flood of "leaks " getting posted everywhere lol

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I don't think we are getting a reveal event because if Sony doesn't plan on going to E3, an event closer to it seems more logical to me. Sometime around April or May makes the most sense in my opinion.
Feb Reveal plus an event in June-July for price and release date and few more games .
Sony is not going to e3 but they can do another event whenever they want and then take ps5 Demo stations to all the other fan fests

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think we are getting a reveal event because if Sony doesn't plan on going to E3, an event closer to it seems more logical to me. Sometime around April or May makes the most sense in my opinion.

I don't think Sony will want to reveal price or launch date before MS. They've done the day after MS at E3 so long, that works for them. So price/date/more detail IMO will still be around E3 time - don't want to give MS too much of the spotlight for too long. So if its June, they may still want a February/March early reveal to go through what the new machine can do in a big more detail. Same model as MS and Sony both did in 2013. I think the amount of content they need to go through works for that. And Sony have been happy to go first for these early looks at the technology too.

So Early for tech, late for date/price has been a preference I think they'll want to stick with.

My bet is first couple of weeks of February for a PS Meeting to show what the box can do. and show the actual console. Andrew House has said he thinks it was a mistake not showing it in Feb 2013, and MS have shown the XSX.

Then they'll send out invites for a June event before MS' keynote - between a day and a week ahead of that IMO. They'll want an upcoming PS conference to be in peoples heads during any MS keynote. Then the actual conference would be anytime from 1 day after MS' keynote, through to maybe end of June.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
oh god is this thread going to turn into a Playstation equivalent of the Nintendo Direct countdown thread?

Monday - 9am EST - no 9am JST - no PST. Oh maybe Tuesday. Wait its a public holiday/full moon so it'll be Wednesday...

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Here is your daily pastebin:(salt and all)
  1. Verona SDK (Prototype 2): All Sony internal studios have these kits.
  2. Prospero SDK (Prototype 1): All major 3rd party studios have these kits.
  3. PS5 SDK (Final): June-July timeframe for all studios.
  4. Verona and Prospero SDKs are similar in design, but spec'd differently for auditing and security reasons. The hardware in Verona are much closer to the finalized SDK and consumer PS5 system.
  5. Sony Interactive Entertainment and Sony Pictures Entertainment division are working closely together after last year's acquisition of Nurulize. Deeper investments into merging both films and video games across both divisions. Bringing a higher production value and film related tech to next generation PlayStation games.
Did we ever hear the name Verona? Is that Shakespeare related also ?

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017

4. Verona and Prospero SDKs are similar in design, but spec'd differently for auditing and security reasons. The hardware in Verona are much closer to the finalized SDK and consumer PS5 system.

5. Sony Interactive Entertainment and Sony Pictures Entertainment division are working closely together after last year's acquisition of Nurulize. Deeper investments into merging both films and video games across both divisions. Bringing a higher production value and film related tech to next generation PlayStation games.
Verona has come out multiple times in OT9.

And yes, I mean, it might be one of the most known Shakespeare terms, it's the town of Romeo and Juliet.

Jan 20, 2019

That last part makes no sense

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
We had pictures of prospero . Did it say prototype1 on it ? I assume if Sony made 2 they would mark it on the box ?

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017

I'm pretty sure this was posted in the last ot

Dimajjio

Oct 13, 2019
What do devs do with the prototype 1 boxes when they receive number 2? Do they have to send them back to Sony?

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
All leaked devkits were Prototypes 1, from the pics.
Yes I just noticed:

playstation-5-ps5-devkit-sony-1.original.jpg

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Great work! It's always humbling when I see how much work you put into these, you are the hero we don't deserve!!!

The article implies that consumer cards are likely to have 8GB for the 3070 and 10GB for the 3080. Doesn't that seem a bit low for vram considering that in about a year most games will be developed with 16GB+ consoles in mind? Or are we expecting Nvidia to launch 4000 series true next gen cards next year?

Think you are forgetting that that's just VRAM, and the PC will still have a system RAM. And those 16GB+cnsoles are sharing their own RAM three ways.

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
About the leak, 18 GB of GDDR6 at 576GB/s is the most suspect that's a 384bit bus, you can easily get 672GB/s to feed your 12.2TF GPU. Also wrote DDR6. No legit leaks have mixed up DDR and GDDR in the past.

Instead they chose to downclock 14gbps chips to have less bw?

Imo someone didn't know enough about specs to make a convincing one.

So far all the leaked Flute and Oberon stuff pointed to 16GB 256 bit bus, and ~530GB/s. Bus size can't be changed without designing a new APU.
18GB should be 288-bit. 16Gbps GDDR6 will provide 576GB/s in a 288-bit interface. It doesn't match the Flute and Github leaks but it is technically sound :)
And 12,2 Tflops at 1,8 Ghz doesnt fit neither with 56 Cus nor 54.
What tf is 52 at 1.8 ghz?also 56

Edit: Yeah, that Reddit rumor is pure fan fiction.
I too think the leak is BS, but to be fair, 1830Mhz with 52 CU matches his numbers, so I wouldn't disqualify the rumor because of the TF and clock numbers, they are pretty sound if he rounded the 1830Mhz to 1800Mhz.

groganos

Jan 12, 2018
Ohhhhiiiiyyyoooo
Quality OP of the finest level as per usual Mecha Meister, Hope we get some solid info from the manufacturers, and finally I hope when the specs drop it will not be an absolute disaster as cooler heads prevail. Most likely gonna be a bloodbath isn't it?

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
If there won't be a PS Meeting in February. When would a good time to have it be? My gut feeling tell me that it will before E3 at least. Would be weird to have it after E3.

Status
Not open for further replies.