• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

When do you think the PS5 reveal will take place?

• January

Votes: 6 0.3%
  • February

Votes: 1,172 65.7%
  • March

Votes: 273 15.3%
  • April

Votes: 81 4.5%
  • May

Votes: 116 6.5%
  • June

Votes: 48 2.7%
  • Later

Votes: 89 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
that makes a lot of sense actually, i would have probably also predicted something in may had i not been really hoping for an earlier reveal. there is something to consider however, i think that not unveiling their next gen console before the next fiscal year is bound to upset their partners who want to assure their share holders they got games coming this year.

But I could be hilariously wrong. Deep down inside I want them to reveal the PS5 ASAP but it is funny to see people desperate for news like it is not coming. Lol.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
interesting points by tassi

https://twitter.com/PaulTassi/status/1225057304300617728?s=20

https://twitter.com/PaulTassi/status/1225059121914957824?s=20

in this tweet above he makes a point about price, it really seems that xbox may edge out sony on power hence why sony is holding back annoucing it.

And a power edge would worry Sony why exactly? Xbox One X has a power edge. X360 didn't have a power edge, but most multiplatform games ran or looked better on that console. The most powerful console never "won" a generation just because it was the most powerful. Like 95% of consumers probably don't give a shit about power. I have friends with beautiful 4K TV's that play on a PS4 Slim and a Switch.

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
that makes a lot of sense actually, i would have probably also predicted something in may had i not been really hoping for an earlier reveal. there is something to consider however, i think that not unveiling their next gen console before the next fiscal year is bound to upset their partners who want to assure their share holders they got games coming this year.
An earlier initial reveal will buy them time though. Back in 2013, they were able to keep the price hidden till E3 exactly because no-one was expecting them to reveal price in February but no-one complained either because they had more than enough info. This time, if they only do one meeting/SOP in May they'll have to reveal everything including form factor, specs and price.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
So... ERA was down. Did Sony finally spill the beans or what happened?

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
An earlier initial reveal will buy them time though. Back in 2013, they were able to keep the price hidden till E3 exactly because no-one was expecting them to reveal price in February but no-one complained either because they had more than enough info. This time, if they only do one meeting/SOP in May they'll have to reveal everything including form factor, specs and price.
problem with the 2 reveal approach this time is they have no E3, doing 2 big events (not counting SoP, showing up to TGS, PGW whatever) means they wont be able to keep as good of a retention as they had if it was E3.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
problem with the 2 reveal approach this time is they have no E3, doing 2 big events (not counting SoP, showing up to TGS, PGW whatever) means they wont be able to keep as good of a retention as they had if it was E3.
They said they won't be at E3, that doesn't mean they can't be E3 adjacent like Electronic Arts are. They have their own thing entirely outside of being associated with the ESA. I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case, or they use Gamescom as a worldwide blowout.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Sony will reveal the PS5 whenever the next scheduled maintenance of the ERA site is happening just to fuck with us.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
They said they won't be at E3, that doesn't mean they can't be E3 adjacent like Electronic Arts are. They have their own thing entirely outside of being associated with the ESA. I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case, or they use Gamescom as a worldwide blowout.
then why not clarify that? it feels weird that they will just share this bad news without telling their investors that they have plans around the time that will still give them publicity.
most likely answer is they want the attention to themselves, not the split the news cycle with everyone else, meaning, hold their big event(s) at a different time than early - mid june.

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
Alright y'all, here are the rules

I've discussed this with B-Dubs and here's what we're constituting as a reveal event:

• Make a bet on the exact release date of the PS5 reveal
  • Interviews with Wired (or another publication) and State of Play events do count BUT:
  • Either full spec reveal (CPU / GPU / RAM / etc) or showing the actual console (think Series X reveal) must happen. Not just a shadow or some shit. I mean showing the whole damn thing.
  • Leaks do NOT count
  • Votes for "none" don't count. Only concrete dates.
  • You win? The staff will give you an awesome tag
  • You lose? You get an embarrassing avatar of my choosing until the PS5 is RELEASED

Who dares risk their avatars? Win and get a tag. Lose and, well, I get to pick your avatar

This ain't rocket science. Just use this as a guide:

5L2QwEg.png
March 3rd, 3 3 2020

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
I think we'll get a Wired article or State of Play revealing the spec sheet, general hardware philosophy, and console design before GDC, and a PSX Conference sometime in late spring, early Summer, for the full blowout with game reveals.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, why is that the most popular speculation right now?
www.resetera.com

PS5 - a patent dive into what might be the tech behind Sony's SSD customisations (technical!)

This will be one for people interested in some potentially more technical speculation. I posted in the next-gen speculation thread, but was encouraged to spin it off into its own thread. I did some patent diving to see if I could dig up any likely candidates for what Sony's SSD solution might...

Dimajjio

Oct 13, 2019
So that guy's vibes suggest that Microsoft will price the XSX at £399 and be more powerful than the PS5 which Sony will have to lower to £349 to combat the power differential.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
I think we'll get a Wired article or State of Play revealing the spec sheet, general hardware philosophy, and console design before GDC, and a PSX Conference sometime in late spring, early Summer, for the full blowout with game reveals.
I almost think we might get the reverse of this. And I'm only saying that on the condition that the PS5 is going to be noticeably weaker than XSX which I'm not convinced by.

I think Sony will focus on games and they will look amazing and get everyone hyped. They will show the box and go light on most specs, and go in depth on the storage speed and how it will massively improve everything. Then release any kind of detailed breakdown of specs am separately afterwards.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Transistor

March 10th.

I wasn't going to do this, but that free PS5 preorder thing swung me over. Who doesn't like free stuff? It would be interesting to see what happens if more than one person wins though.

Crumpo

Oct 28, 2017
Bournemouth, UK
Hello Resetera. To spice things up with the predictions, whoever guesses the reveal date* first and correctly I will preorder you a PS5 . No bamboozle!
<3
Edit: Please quote this post or tag a mod!
Ooh, is March 24th gone? Probably, but I'm going with that date anyway! Good way to spice up the reveal wait, this is only going to make it worse for some people!

foxbeldin

Oct 27, 2017
Hello Resetera. To spice things up with the predictions, whoever guesses the reveal date* first and correctly I will preorder you a PS5 . No bamboozle!
<3
Gonna go with march 14th

Let's do it !

edit : changed to march 14th cause 12th was taken
Edit 2 : do i have to tag Transistor ?

Last edited:

Lorul2

Jan 4, 2018
<3
<3
May 15

DarkVaber32

Nov 15, 2018
<3

I'm gonna go with 28th February (:
Edit: 28th has already been taken, going to say 27th Instead

Last edited:

mangochutney

Jun 11, 2018
Didn't Penello say test runs happen around now, it might have a knock on effect earlier if Sony are behind MS on that front.
But i ain't got any idea if the factories are in areas of the outbreak or not.
Every region of China has confirmed cases. Of course some less than others.

Foxconn has factories outside of China, but if they're capable of handling next-gen demand, who knows. I assume most of the parts require little human interaction to produce and that it is the final assembly and testing that requires the hordes and therefore things might not veer too far off track if this one follows similar coronaviruses before it like SARS etc. Case growth is slowing which is a good sign, at the peak they jumped 3.18x between 24-27th Jan but has tailed-down to 1.7x in the last 3 days, hopefully it stays that way.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Crikey if the XSX was only £399 I'd absolutely buy one, perhaps even initially over a PS5. I don't see it being that price. I'm expecting £399 or £449 for PS4 and XSX at least £50 to 100 more.

Status
Not open for further replies.