• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When do you think the PS5 reveal will take place?

• January

Votes: 6 0.3%
  • February

Votes: 1,172 65.7%
  • March

Votes: 273 15.3%
  • April

Votes: 81 4.5%
  • May

Votes: 116 6.5%
  • June

Votes: 48 2.7%
  • Later

Votes: 89 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017

I know its supposed to be a devkit, but I don't imagine an open nvme port to be a good idea. It'd collect dust, and it'd need to have it sticking out if you wanted to remove it. Surely if removable it'd be behind a flap or inside some kind of cover.

I also can't imagine support for plug in external Nvme M2 drives - not a mainstream consumer friendly form factor really. They're more likely to be put in a proprietary casing to be more robust (and to support a nice markup for Sony/MS)

Bad_Boy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know its supposed to be a devkit, but I don't imagine an open nvme port to be a good idea. It'd collect dust, and it'd need to have it sticking out if you wanted to remove it. Surely if removable it'd be behind a flap or inside some kind of cover.

I also can't imagine support for plug in external Nvme M2 drives - not a mainstream consumer friendly form factor really. They're more likely to be put in a proprietary casing to be more robust (and to support a nice markup for Sony/MS)
I think a proprietary drive is exactly what it will be.

Brees2Thomas

Dec 27, 2019
I want Sony and MS to lose on every console sold and give people the best specs possible because of that.

Clear enough?
I don't think they'd be doing that out of the goodness of their heart though. In the end, their plan would be to take a loss on hardware in order to pull in more revenue on games and services.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, it's not surprising, i guess a lot of AAA games, especially open world titles, in 2020 are going to struggle on base consoles.

Dying Light 2 was probably also delayed for this reason.

its one of the reasons I disagree with the 'generationless' approach. Before you even get to next gen, the current gen is often creaking at the seams with many developers who are pushing ahead with PC based engines and struggling to fit them into 6-7 year old boxes.

YawZah

Oct 30, 2017
I would be a bit reluctant to believe this. Their source also states that CDPR were working on a Sony exclusive Ciri game. Sounds unbelievable.

gm-5dcb861a-8539-4cdc-9cb2-4628fe9c0fd8-cp-discord.jpg

Brot

Oct 25, 2017
the edge

Brad Sams, who leaked the diagram with the ports a couple of weeks ago, says it's supposed to be a port for debugging the devkit, which makes perfect sense.

Feb 1, 2018
Europe
Most of this guy's twitter responses to news/leak/rumors are just "Oooh, you think that now, you poor souls don't know what's coming lol" type of jerk offs. How are people allowed to link this type of posts here(don't view this thread often but his posts were also in other threads)?
Indeed QFT. All part of the crazy social media fake news trains.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Most of this guy's twitter responses to news/leak/rumors are just "Oooh, you think that now, you poor souls don't know what's coming lol" type of jerk offs. How are people allowed to link this type of posts here(don't view this thread often but his posts were also in other threads)?
He has been correct zero times . He posted a picture from Sony patent released to public in Brasil and now he pretends he is an insider

Joule

Nov 19, 2017
i like this guy. he's saying definitive shit from what i could gather in the recent weeks so it's easy to tell if he's the real deal or a fraud when the time comes.

1. he said bluepoints game is not demons souls remake

2. he says the PS5 will be big and look similar to the devkit. Not as big as the kit but large for a console

3. playstation meeting is feb 29th

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
i like this guy. he's saying definitive shit from what i could gather in the recent weeks so it's easy to tell if he's the real deal or a fraud when the time comes.

2. he says the PS5 will be big and look similar to the devkit. Not as big as the kit but large for a console

The 29th is a Saturday though. That would be a bad time to hold a press conference.

Deleted member 16452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People trying to guess/fake leaks to become popular is the saddest fucking thing I've ever seen lol.

(not directed at anyone in particular, just thinking out loud)

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

He also said the crooked ps5 x design was considered by Sony for sure .

The guy who made that fake X ps5 design, yesterday released the video that he made it to troll people.

so Sony never considered this as drunken cat mentioned

How about that for having insider knowledge ?

Dictator (Digital Foundry) - Ray Tracing and Storage Speeds
OP
OP
Mecha Meister

Mecha Meister

Next-Gen Guru
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Dictator has made some interesting posts about ray tracing and storage speeds.

Dictator (Digital Foundry) - Ray-Traced Global Illumination examples
They are probably not "the best" since the models themselves have that massive subjective quality to them. But they definitely do not lose as much of their splendor in shadow / in gameplay due to the RT GI. Here some screens:

Voxel Probe GI
1cikd9.jpg

RT GI
28ektt.jpg

Voxel Probe GI
3fljtz.jpg

RT GI
4drkz8.jpg

If you notice, the skin is evently lit with the Voxel Probe GI. It essentially glows in shadow and lacks much of the depth - also none of the sub-surface scattering is showing.

RT GI on the other hand has 1/multiple directions of light hitting the face, and multiple shadows... not just directionless AO and directionless probes which just wrap "light" around the head.

If someone posted that picture of Drake in Gameplay, in a scene where there is only indirect lighting in shadow, it looks very much the same.
Mrait1.png

Notice how the light on drake in the above on the right wraps around and is monotone... it glows just like the Voxel Probe GI in metro :D

1. I guess it depends how good AMD's RT solution is with very divergent rays, which is what RT GI is. It is more expensive on average than reflections on Turing. It also seems to benefit the most from Turings split int32/fp32 performance.
2. If too expensive even RT reflections with a low roughness cut off help a lot to make models in shadows have a much more accurate specular response, it would help prevent the specular glow you seen in shadows, but the diffuse would still be wrong. If you go back to my BF V RT Reflections video, I show a scene on a beach with SSR + Probes vs. Probes vs Low Roughness Cutoff RT Reflections and all that wierd in-shadow glow is eliminated in the RT reflections.
bfv_pc_v1_h264.mp4_sn3bkmx.jpg

Even if RT GI is too expensive, RT AO helps a lot - or perhaps there are less expensive ways to have smaller RT GI like effects in a closer radius around the game cameras that have yet to be invented. The indirect diffuse lighting from Control is a localised form of GI that works pretty well and helps a lot for in-shadow objects. Cheaper than the RT GI in metro as well.

How Star Citizen uses SSDs.
pwnZ7Go.png

ssdbzkea.png

Star Citizen heavily leverages this portion of an SSD's speed. Not its bandwidth for large files over time (which it also uses of course), but its immediate seek speed for small files. Grabbing tons of tiny files off the disk and bringing them into RAM constantly. A Sata 3.0 SSD and higher end NVME SSD here actually have pretty similar performance even though the NVME is much faster at larger read writes. And HDD is impossibly slow at those tasks in comparison if you look at the numbers there for two 7200 RPMs in Raid 0.
And Optane absolutely blows an NVME or normal SSD out of the water in those smaller tasks. Order of magnitude.
Intel-Optane-P900-480GB-SSD-Crystal-Disk-Mark-Intel-Dvr.png

Notice how optane destroys even an Nvme SSD in 4K reads.

They have a number of posts and interviews about it scattered out over the years of behind the scenes coverage of the game, but I am also (writing it here on ResetERA first) going to be some dedicated Star Citizen coverage soon where I will have interviews regarding this stuf. I hope you guys like it.

The reason why the game focuses on that burst / parallel data grabbing from the SSD is due to its world and asset design, and not because of the physics so much so. The game's asset size in the sizte of its world is the thing that motivated them to focus on this type of game loading. How do we stop the game from stuttering with multiple ship models and worlds where each one is multiple hundreds of megabytes in memory?

What faster CPUs and SSDs can bring to games.
I think the first major changes to game design vs. what we saw this gen will be due to CPU advantages at the start of the generation. More AI, more complex physics, more unique objects on screen and such. That is a much more simple hardware metric to take advantage of than rewriting the entire way your engine loads data from disk and puts it into memory and then designing entire game systems around that. SSDs at the beginning will primarily be used to speed up game loading, making it pretty trivial. That is not a large change to game design though.

I imagine most games will still be pretty traditional for a while - dedicated levels, dedicated cutscenes, dedicated front ends/uis for each area of the game (multiplayer/singleplayer/etc.). Not every game needs to be 100% seamless all the time / give the player full agency necessarily. The spider man camera thing that they demod on PS5 is just a test case. On ps4 the camera was hardware limited to a certain degree to a certain speed, faster than that speed, the game would probably stutter as it loaded in objects too slowly from disk. But how necessary is it for most games out there, honestly, that the camera move really rapidly? Spiderman/the player won't need to move that quickly!

Only later on, and then, only for games that need it (for which many have no need for it), will some developers leverage the different way SSDs can do loading vs. before.

Last edited:

Deleted member 15973

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sony Europe is running the show this time around so expect things to be run closer to how they do things compared to the american side which was in charge during the ps4 era.

this crossed my mind as well but how would you get the drive out if you wanted to upgrade later on?
The PS4 Meeting was done by the European team.

Brees2Thomas

Dec 27, 2019
Hmm I don't like this if true. Just means sticking to cross-gen for one to two years will see limited potential for newer games or just more delays.
It doesn't make sense to me that they've already devoted this much time and money for a game made for current gen, but now it's delayed 5 months, after the game is completed (minus polishing) because they can't get it to run properly? Wouldn't they have caught this problem way earlier in the process?

MisterP𝕏L

Jul 10, 2019
My question may be silly but at E3 ... The conferences take place most of the weekends no, why would that be a problem? (although I don't believe it)

Dec 8, 2018
It's been talked about, Sony won't hold a conference on a Friday and less on a weekend. They need press there and people to write articles and videos, not an empty hall and articles only starting to popup on Monday.

Lol you think every gaming journalist in the world that had the opportunity to go to the PS5 reveal would not do it because it's on a weekend? And we don't live in 1990 anymore there would be articles popping up from every gaming website about what was shown the second it is.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
I had dream tonight where I logged onto Era and there was "PS5 is cancelled" thread with post count going over the browser's window.

This shit is getting to my head.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Lol you don't think every gaming journalist in the world that had the opportunity to go to the PS5 reveal would not do it because it's on a weekend? And we don't live in 1990 anymore there would be articles popping up from every gaming website about what was shown the second it is.

From another thread speculating PS Meeting's date:

You're leaving traditional press who might only work Monday - Friday no time to write about it. It'll be left until Monday and then potentially chucked in with everything else that's happened during the weekend. Especially in other parts of the world. In Europe, for example, these conferences are generally on in the evening/at night. You don't want to have a conference on for one of your biggest markets late on a Friday night. You want it on another weekday so it can be covered in the morning the next day.

The last PlayStation Meeting was on a Wednesday for example.

As an opposite example, companies always PR bad news late on a Friday with the hope that it'll get forgotten and not noticed by major press. Sounds stupid but it's a thing.

This is not a dumb theory I invented, these kind of events ARE HIGHLY UNLIKELY TO HAPPEN ON WEEKENDS, PERIOD. The only exception is called E3, which is an event that last for a week and joins journalists from all over the world, you know, just a small indie event, and one that the websites definitely are not planning since more or less January.

Gedi

Oct 29, 2017
My question may be silly but at E3 ... The conferences take place most of the weekends no, why would that be a problem? (although I don't believe it)

Exactly. I don't believe it's happening on this date but if it was editors would just move their journalists working hours around that week as per the "needs of the business" clause that is in just about every employment contract in existence.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Hmm I don't like this if true. Just means sticking to cross-gen for one to two years will see limited potential for newer games or just more delays.

I'm not sure if the claim is true (I mean, how Cyberpunk will run on the X1 has been a major concern for a lot of people for a long time), but I do often wish they had switched to next-gen-only development at some earlier point. I know devkits wouldn't have been around in 2017, but they could've slapped some PCs together with Zen chips, Vega 56's and 16GB of RAM plus SATA SSDs and used them as a base, surely?

When real news come nobody will know cause of all the bullshit people post lol.

I have no doubt that this has already happened at least once.

Dimajjio

Oct 13, 2019
I prefer Richard from Digital Foundry's assumption that the slot is for expanded SSD storage, not a debug port. That black prototype box isn't along the same lines as an Xbox One X devkit - where is the useful screen and buttons which a lot of devs liked? So I'm agreeing it's a prototype retail unit, which as others have said, are given out for "ordinary folk" to try at home.

Brees2Thomas

Dec 27, 2019

This is not a dumb theory I invented, these kind of events ARE HIGHLY UNLIKELY TO HAPPEN ON WEEKENDS, PERIOD. The only exception is called E3, which is an event that last for a week and joins journalists from all over the world, you know, just a small indie event, and one that the websites definitely are not planning since more or less January.
That makes total sense, unless they want people to watch the PS Meeting live; they are planning a huge reveal; and think that a Saturday night in prime time, when most people are off work the next day, would be the best way to get a big attendance and web viewers to the max?

Dec 8, 2018

This is not a dumb theory I invented, these kind of events ARE HIGHLY UNLIKELY TO HAPPEN ON WEEKENDS, PERIOD. The only exception is called E3, which is an event that last for a week and joins journalists from all over the world.

And Sony is not going to E3 and if one company or news site don't want to be there or they can watch it from home. They are not missing anything by not being there in person.

And if they are are not able to write about this because it's a weekend they are certainly not keeping up with the times.

And Sony certainly does not need mainstream news to write about it the same day. This event will be all over the internet and anyone remotely interested in it will have thousands of articles available.

A fucking logo broke records.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
well asking journos to go to a conference at the weekend when they're already all out there for a huge games-specific week of gaming coverage is pretty different from asking them all to turn up on a random weekend with nothing else happening except one event.

I do think they would turn up, but its not remotely the same as a weekend event during E3

Status
Not open for further replies.