• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

When do you think the PS5 reveal will take place?

• January

Votes: 6 0.3%
  • February

Votes: 1,172 65.7%
  • March

Votes: 273 15.3%
  • April

Votes: 81 4.5%
  • May

Votes: 116 6.5%
  • June

Votes: 48 2.7%
  • Later

Votes: 89 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
giphy.gif

9dBVbM3.png

giphy.gif

Luck

Banned
Mar 28, 2018
Alright y'all, here are the rules

I've discussed this with B-Dubs and here's what we're constituting as a reveal event:

• Make a bet on the exact release date of the PS5 reveal
  • Interviews with Wired (or another publication) and State of Play events do count BUT:
  • Either full spec reveal (CPU / GPU / RAM / etc) or showing the actual console (think Series X reveal) must happen. Not just a shadow or some shit. I mean showing the whole damn thing.
  • Leaks do NOT count
  • Votes for "none" don't count. Only concrete dates.
  • You win? The staff will give you an awesome tag
  • You lose? You get an embarrassing avatar of my choosing until the PS5 is RELEASED

Who dares risk their avatars? Win and get a tag. Lose and, well, I get to pick your avatar

This ain't rocket science. Just use this as a guide:

5L2QwEg.png

Hello Resetera. To spice things up with the predictions, whoever guesses the reveal date* first and correctly I will preorder you a PS5 . No bamboozle!
<3
Edit: Please quote this post or tag a mod!

April 8th, if nobody already took it ;p

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Never thought I'd see the day but I wish we went back to discussing the GitHub leak instead of having giant walls of random dates...

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Fuck this fear mongering. Sony announced price after Xbox last gen too.
Some people have put themselves into a feedback loop of assuming that Sony are scared to announce because of a lack of power or something with no actual evidence to suggest that. Hell, we know more about PS5 at this point than we did for ps4 at this point yet for some people, they have convinced themselves that they are lagging in news compared to then.

Just shows how many opinions are made with gut feelings instead of facts and evidence.

Qash_effect

Banned
Feb 23, 2019
Last generation the most successful console was the Wii (weakest compared to 360 and PS3) the generation prior to that the most successful console was the PS2 (weakest compared to GameCube and Xbox) and the generation prior to that the most successful console was the PSONE (weaker than the N64)

And this gen, while the PS4 has been the clear "winner" and the most powerful up until the X. The switch (weakest) is flying off shelves!

Power is obviously nice to have. But it clearly has no bearing on success or popularity. People want to play good games in an accessible way (and low price makes a console more accessible to more people). Sony selling a 9tf console with sequels to Spiderman, God of war and uncharted for a low price point will do that, regardless of what MS end up doing.
your examples are terrible and proves power does matter, but obviously isn't the only factor. The Nintendo released their console almost two years after PlayStation 1, for that time it was considered the most powerful and was set in stone due to its design and innovation and games that came. So yes games of course are the most Important part but power plays a role - it's why kids always used to talk about graphics - that links directly to power - when ps2 release it was the most powerful at the time and with the momentum of ps1 and goodwill and games, it continued to sell, power again being the best when it released. Again when it released the most powerful console in the market for a decent enough time and with the goodwill from the last generation it continued to sell. PS3 was strange no doubt, they tried but it was a bizarre console and the wii was a novelty product at the time and heck, even I got one even though I purchased a ps3 also. However they positioned themselves differently to Sony and Xbox - PS4 again the most powerful when it released and sales amazing. Gamers want to be able to play on a console with their friends now and that's what matter, your FIFA, fortnite,COD, gta and cd project games going forward and power will have an influence along with price and where those games are avaiable. I'm not saying Sony won't be okay, I think they will sell the most. However, I think they would sell even better with a more powerful console at the same price as an Xbox however. Kids have access to everything through their phones now, and they'll know the of the most powerful console etc. Power clearly does have a bearing in success but it is not the sole factor. Games will always be the biggest factor, but BOTH price and power also have an impact on sales.

Last edited:

Brees2Thomas

Dec 27, 2019
I have no doubt whatsoever that Ariel/Oberon are PS5 GPU/APU steppings.

Derivates of that GPU (Navi 10) will be ,obviously, used by others (like Apple) as well.
Ok..I didn't realize there wasn't much difference in the size of APU that would fit in a console and one that would fit in a laptop.

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Hello Resetera. To spice things up with the predictions, whoever guesses the reveal date* first and correctly I will preorder you a PS5 . No bamboozle!
<3
Sounds good! My guess for April 14th still stands

Oct 25, 2017

I've discussed this with B-Dubs and here's what we're constituting as a reveal event:

• Interviews with Wired (or another publication) and State of Play events do count BUT:
  • Either full spec reveal (CPU / GPU / RAM / etc) or showing the actual console (think Series X reveal) must happen. Not just a shadow or some shit. I mean showing the whole damn thing.
  • Leaks do NOT count
  • You lose? You get an embarrassing avatar of my choosing until the PS5 is RELEASED

Who dares risk their avatars? Win and get a tag. Lose and, well, I get to pick your avatar

5L2QwEg.png

March 14. My birthday.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020
I wonder if everyone who is lining up to pick a date and be in with a chance of winning a PS5 is aware of what happens if they are wrong. I feel like at least a few will have missed the start of this.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017

• Leaks do NOT count

5L2QwEg.png

<3

Put me down for Feb. 25.

Last edited:

EsqBob

Nov 7, 2017
<3
I'm giving many dates in case some are already picked. From top to bottom:
march 12
march 10
march 11
march 13
march 9
feb 30
feb 28
march 4

Edit:

• Leaks do NOT count

5L2QwEg.png

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
your examples are terrible and proves power does matter, but obviously isn't the only factor. The Nintendo released their console almost two years after PlayStation 1, for that time it was considered the most powerful and was set in stone due to its design and innovation and games that came. So yes games of course are the most Important part but power plays a role - it's why kids always used to talk about graphics - that links directly to power - when ps2 release it was the most powerful at the time and with the momentum of ps1 and goodwill and games, it continued to sell, power again being the best when it released. Again when it released the most powerful console in the market for a decent enough time and with the goodwill from the last generation it continued to sell. PS3 was strange no doubt, they tried but it was a bizarre console and the wii was a novelty product at the time and heck, even I got one even though I purchased a ps3 also. However they positioned themselves differently to Sony and Xbox - PS4 again the most powerful when it released and sales amazing. Gamers want to be able to play on a console with their friends now and that's what matter, your FIFA, fortnite,COD, gta and cd project games going forward and power will have an influence along with price and where those games are avaiable. I'm not saying Sony won't be okay, I think they will sell the most. However, I think they would sell even better with a more powerful console at the same price as an Xbox however. Kids have access to everything through their phones now, and they'll know the of the most powerful console etc. Power clearly does have a bearing in success but it is not the sole factor. Games will always be the biggest factor, but BOTH price and power also have an impact on sales.
And vita vs 3DS
And PSP vs DS
And Sega Game gear vs Gameboy
The list goes on and on.

power doesn't mean you automatically win.
Fortunately for Sony they were smart and established some of their more popular IPs this gen and with BC and digital libraries should lock most of their customers to their ecosystem. No point in leaving it behind.

PrimeRib

Nov 16, 2017
All this February disappointment, turning into March Madness. Love it.

Who do we tag for the free PS5 preorder? Put me down for the same date (only makes sense to double down) - March 5th.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
So this is essentially a betting thread now...ok I guess.
In sure this will get discussed more soon:
Well,well, our old friend Navi 10 Lite:

It seems one of the new MacBooks will have the same GPU as Ariel/Oberon/PS5:

cc: DrKeo , DukeBlueBall , anexanhume

Other than that and PS5 sign up pages going up, it's been a slow news month. We could talk about what Phil and the Sony execs said, they have their own threads tho now.

I just go with the flow, if the mods and admin allow it, so be it.

Hudsoniscool

Banned
Jun 5, 2018
<3
My top pick is my bet. If my top pick is already taken than the next one down. So forth until the highest date not yet guessed.
2/26/2020.
2/25/2020
2/24/2020
2/27/2020
2/28/2020
3/5/2020
3/4/2020
3/3/2020

Last edited:

Nazgûl

Banned
Dec 16, 2019

• Leaks do NOT count

5L2QwEg.png
February 28th. It'll be a State of Play. They'll show some next-gen games and the console, but no specs.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, it's GPU part of PS5 APU.
Why? It's some sort of Navi 10 derivate ,why should Sony be the only one using it in their console? ( highly customized GPU part,naturally)
NAVI 10 LITE is Ariel. And I think the PS5's GPU landing in a MacBook Pro launching in March to be about 0/100. Unless, of course, Ariel Was abandoned by Sony, which very well may be the case.

From Komachi:

Jan 18, 2019
2G16002CE8JA2_32/10/10_13E9

Decode (Update):
2 = ES1
1600 = Sony Custom SoC (PS5?)
2C = TDP
E = Package
8 = 8C
J = Cache Size
A2 = A2 Stepping (?)
32 = 3.2Ghz (Boost)
10 = 1.0Ghz (Base)
10 = iGPU Clock? (1Ghz?)
13E9 = PCI-ID : Navi 10LITE (GFX1000/1001).

IkarugaDE

Feb 3, 2020
your examples are terrible and proves power does matter, but obviously isn't the only factor. The Nintendo released their console almost two years after PlayStation 1, for that time it was considered the most powerful and was set in stone due to its design and innovation and games that came.
In addition to this, the N64 maybe was the most powerful console at this time, but using cardridges killed this advantage. Every PSone-Disk had a capicity of 650mb and CD-Roms were cheap. For the N64, the developer needed to pay extremely more even for a 32mb cardrige. At the end of the day, PSone games were not so great on the graphical aspect, but clearly more arhmospheric due to cutscenes and real music, not that cheap "midi-Sounds" developer had to use at N64 to save every KB.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
NAVI 10 LITE is Ariel. And I think the PS5's GPU landing in a MacBook Pro launching in March to be about 0/100. Unless, of course, Ariel Was abandoned by Sony, which very well may be the case.

From Komachi:

Jan 18, 2019
2G16002CE8JA2_32/10/10_13E9

Decode (Update):
2 = ES1
1600 = Sony Custom SoC (PS5?)
2C = TDP
E = Package
8 = 8C
J = Cache Size
A2 = A2 Stepping (?)
32 = 3.2Ghz (Boost)
10 = 1.0Ghz (Base)
10 = iGPU Clock? (1Ghz?)
13E9 = PCI-ID : Navi 10LITE (GFX1000/1001).
I really don't see what's the problem here? It's a customized version of the same GPU ( Navi 10) ,as we can see used by Sony,Apple,etc.

Versions used by Sony and Apple are ,of course, not the same.

HalStep

Oct 27, 2017
has feb 29th been taken,that was my theory earlier in the thread and would like to stick with it?
EDIT:
<3

radiotoxic

Oct 27, 2017
Now PS5 is probably at MacBook level power... (!?) (half-joking with a disappointed face). Please Sony, end this suffering already. It can't weak, cheap, niche and aimed at the "serious players" (lol) all at once!!

Status
Not open for further replies.