• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

When do you think the PS5 reveal will take place?

• January

Votes: 6 0.3%
  • February

Votes: 1,172 65.7%
  • March

Votes: 273 15.3%
  • April

Votes: 81 4.5%
  • May

Votes: 116 6.5%
  • June

Votes: 48 2.7%
  • Later

Votes: 89 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't see what's the problem here? It's a customized version of the same GPU ( Navi 10) ,as we can see used by Sony,Apple,etc.

Versions used by Sony and Apple are ,of course, not the same.
Sure NAVI 10 (5700, 5700XT) but he is claiming NAVI 10 Lite, which is Ariel and does not make sense.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some people have put themselves into a feedback loop of assuming that Sony are scared to announce because of a lack of power or something with no actual evidence to suggest that. Hell, we know more about PS5 at this point than we did for ps4 at this point yet for some people, they have convinced themselves that they are lagging in news compared to then.

Just shows how many opinions are made with gut feelings instead of facts and evidence.
This is a business and in every business, you face competition and are judged based on your competition with your competitor. Sony's main competitor literally revealed their console 2 months ago. Sony has now gone 2 full months without a response of any kind.

im not sure if they are running scared, but if you are a fan, investor, or just a consumer, this kind of silence simply does not instill any confidence in sony. While the two wired articles do tell us more about the PS5 than we knew about the PS4 around this time, the info is pretty generic. It would be like knowing that PS4 had an HDD, an 8 core jaguar CPU, dual shock 4 had rumble and hardware based support for programmable shaders. it's the most basic stuff and their competitor has revealed that they also have the same components and features, while also revealing the gpu power.

regardless, by this time last gen they had announced a PS meeting. Fact of the matter is that they are behind their own schedule for last gen. Revealing logos at conferences, cancelling 5 conferences in two years (3 PSX and 2 E3s), replacing CEOs left and right, and not revealing any gpu specs after two wired articles is definitely going to cause some concern.

I for one am not concerned, but the only reason is that i have blind faith in Sony and especially Cerny to not fuck it up. However, I cannot expect everyone else to have that kind of almost blind loyalty towards Sony.

BrucCLea13k87

Oct 27, 2017
PS5 could be $5,000 like the Mac and weak-niche

I'm with you here. I don't believe the PS5 will have the same GPU as a MacBook. That's ridiculous. MacBooks have been using AMD GPUs for years. I have the latest, biggest model, the MBP 16" and I have a 5500M GPU. It is somewhere between a 1650 and 1060 in terms of power. MB's always have weak GPU's because of the heatsink...if this is true I'd guess the AMD GPU would be found in the new iMac.

Patent

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jul 2, 2018
North Carolina
This is a business and in every business, you face competition and are judged based on your competition with your competitor. Sony's main competitor literally revealed their console 2 months ago. Sony has now gone 2 full months without a response of any kind.

im not sure if they are running scared, but if you are a fan, investor, or just a consumer, this kind of silence simply does not instill any confidence in sony. While the two wired articles do tell us more about the PS5 than we knew about the PS4 around this time, the info is pretty generic. It would be like knowing that PS4 had an HDD, an 8 core jaguar CPU, dual shock 4 had rumble and hardware based support for programmable shaders. it's the most basic stuff and their competitor has revealed that they also have the same components and features, while also revealing the gpu power.

regardless, by this time last gen they had announced a PS meeting. Fact of the matter is that they are behind their own schedule for last gen. Revealing logos at conferences, cancelling 5 conferences in two years (3 PSX and 2 E3s), replacing CEOs left and right, and not revealing any gpu specs after two wired articles is definitely going to cause some concern.

I for one am not concerned, but the only reason is that i have blind faith in Sony and especially Cerny to not fuck it up. However, I cannot expect everyone else to have that kind of almost blind loyalty towards Sony.
What do we know more about the series x besides form factor? Both seem kinda like we have generic info

Super Barrier

Nov 20, 2017
Hello Resetera. To spice things up with the predictions, whoever guesses the reveal date* first and correctly I will preorder you a PS5 . No bamboozle!
<3
Edit: Please quote this post or tag a mod!

Edit Pt2: The rules are changing slightly. Everyone who guesses the correct date will be put into the hat and the winner will be announced from there. Thank you for sticking with me, I'm terrible at organising giveaways it seems!

Transistor March 3, 2020. My bad luck spell is going to be broken!

Last edited:

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
Hello Resetera. To spice things up with the predictions, whoever guesses the reveal date* first and correctly I will preorder you a PS5 . No bamboozle!
<3

Edit Pt2: The rules are changing slightly. Everyone who guesses the correct date will be put into the hat and the winner will be announced from there. Thank you for sticking with me, I'm terrible at organising giveaways it seems!

Transistor I'll go with March 2nd.

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Well,well, our old friend Navi 10 Lite:

It seems one of the new MacBooks will have the same GPU as Ariel/Oberon/PS5:

How do you come to such a conclusion ?
Especially those Gen0-Gen2 modes make no sense for a notebook and also the GPU frequencies.
The more likely option would be Renoir or Van Gogh, those APUs would be a much better fit for a notebook form factor. Don't you think?

meenseen84

Feb 15, 2018
Minneapolis
<3

4/13/20. Another wired article one year later seems possible.

Darklor01

Nov 2, 2017

MS revealed a plastic shell. The posted images of what could be a chip. They spoke reasonably vaguely about the power of the XSX.

Since the console shell reveal by MS, Sony mentioned some features of the controller, mentioned that they have a really fast SSD, talked Raytracing (like MS did), and a few other things about their system.

Right now, both are close to equally quiet or vocal. The main difference is that MS said the will be at E3 and Sony said they will not be, leaving many to wonder when at the earliest, they may learn more about PS5 from Sony.

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Hope all is well with Mecha. Someone is going to have to step up for the next OT 😬
There is one issue now that you can't ask Mecha Meister to provide the source text (with all links) to build on that. Would have made many things easier. Maybe a mod can help out there.

Edit:
I hope as well that there is not something to him impacting his health or so. Farewell Mecha Meister

Last edited:

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
How do you come to such a conclusion when a codename actually is removed?
Especially those Gen0-Gen2 modes make no sense for a notebook and also the GPU frequencies.
The more likely option would be Renoir or Van Gogh, those APUs would be a much better fit for a notebook form factor. Don't you think?
Well, that's what _Rogame and people in his tweeter feed are speculating :)

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
What do we know more about the series x besides form factor? Both seem kinda like we have generic info
Form, 8C/16t Ryzen CPU, 12TF (2x XBX) GPU with hardware RT, GDDR6 RAM, SSD (40x faster than XB1s).

That's pretty much everything there is to know about a console. The only thing we don't know are specifics like RAM and SSD amount and clock speeds.

With sony, all we know is 8C/16t Ryzen CPU, some kinda GPU, SSD (that's better than anything else).... and some talk about the controller.

As he said, generic information. Even when they first mentioned RT, it was done in such a way that made people doubt what kinda RT it really was.

HalStep

Oct 27, 2017
<3

Transistor feb 29th,there i think that's got it now.

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Well, that's what _Rogame and people in his tweeter feed are speculating :)
But he is only speculating MacBooks could have AMD processors. Apple is already an AMD only customer when it comes to GPUs. We also learned that the guy while he is really good in digging stuff up (kudos) he also isn't that good in drawing conclusions from the data he finds - unfortunately he deleted the tweets from the GitHub leak to show the examples.

And again Renoir and Van Gogh are a much better fit!

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
<3

March 12, 2020 🍹

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
<3

Nifty, thanks!

I've already submitted my date, see you on Feb 26th! 😃

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MS revealed a plastic shell. The posted images of what could be a chip. They spoke reasonably vaguely about the power of the XSX.

Since the console shell reveal by MS, Sony mentioned some features of the controller, mentioned that they have a really fast SSD, talked Raytracing (like MS did), and a few other things about their system.

Right now, both are close to equally quiet or vocal. The main difference is that MS said the will be at E3 and Sony said they will not be, leaving many to wonder when at the earliest, they may learn more about PS5 from Sony.
the 12 tflops figure is way more than what Sony has given us.

Console form factor and the die size essentially confirms that 12 tflops figure.

Status
Not open for further replies.