• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which team are you on?

• Double Team (1997)

• Team Walnut

• The A-Team

• Team "No One Can Stop Mr. Domino"

• Sports Team

• "I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel."

• Team Margarita

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chromatic9

Oct 25, 2017
I'm wondering more what the price has risen from exactly. Were Sony going for a $450 retail with price to manufacture around the $420 mark?

I doubt the price to make a PS5 was $380 like the PS4 and it's risen to $450 but if so then it does point to it being low TF $399 system that's gone awry.

Of course this affects MS as well.

If the article is misleading, the price to manufacture has always been in the 450-470 range for a $499 system and both are coming in close in performance and specs.

What would be bad for Sony is they planned on 399 retail and won't eat the big loss if components have increased, MS had gone for a $499 system and is willing to take a loss or even that MS has gone bigger with an original plan of selling a would be $550-599 system at $499 with an entry level system $299-350 and is still willing to eat the cost of the price increase of components.

Last edited:

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Jan 20, 2019
I do not think that means they power down the console. It is just confirmation that they really are going for 2 Ghz. I also assume Github was a correct data point with the 36 CUs full count at 2 Ghz. So my expectation about the PS5 doesn't change a bit because of the Bloomberg report, the opposite is the case. I am more convinced than ever about my predicted spec range though I may have to lower the CU count which would still achieve the 9.2TF. For me anything below 9 TF is off the table now!

I think you are right on the clocks, but i disagree in the CU count, the bom being close makes me think that.

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I would warn that user not to make the same extrapolation.

It is an indication that they have spent more on cooling. Now that likely indicates that there is more power dissipated as heat.

But it doesn't give us a GPU clock.
It doesn't give us the clock, but a hint on higher clocks. Otherwise why else would be the cooling "unusually expensive" ?

More Butter

Banned
Jun 12, 2018
It does seem like there is an opportunity for Microsoft to really put the squeeze on Sony here if they're willing to eat a loss to do so. Price XSX at $399 and XSS at $249 and it becomes highly unlikely that Sony will be able to undercut your higher-end machine, leaving XSS at a very attractive price for consumers.

Probably not all that likely to actually happen, but it would make life very tough for Sony if Microsoft were to do so.
I don't think they are so worried about XSX as they are Lockhart price. XSX will be $500 or $600. I think Sony are waiting for Lockhart. Depending on capabilities Sony need to be close enough to the low end machine in price. Pricing $500 V a 299 Lockhart is probably what is bothering them. All of this stuff is based on specs, cost and the perceptions of the market. It's hard to predict where your product lands in that. That's probably causing them so consternation. The good news is that Sony has a keen understanding about how importing the pricing strategy is toward the beginning of a new gen and they are aiming to please their fans. It's a good sign.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't give us the clock, but a hint on higher clocks. Otherwise why would be the cooling "unusually expensive" ?

Because apparently trash-tier thermal paste wouldn't cut it this time around?
Because the common PS4 Pro "jet-engine" complaints?
Because they are dissipating more power than before?

There is nothing there to confirm clock speed or GitHub as final PS5 form for that matter.

Look to MS to see how spending a bit more on cooling paid off, very quiet 1X.

I can't imagine the XSX has spent less than $1 on their cooling solution either.

You are using old tweets .
He did a new set after the current news.
Maybe you can link it for me 'cause I have read through all the tweets from today that I saw - and quoted them!

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Because apparently trash-tier thermal paste wouldn't cut it this time around?
Because the common PS4 Pro "jet-engine" complaints?
Because they are dissipating more power than before?

There is nothing there to confirm clock speed or GitHub as final PS5 form for that matter.

Look to MS to see how spending a bit more on cooling paid off, very quiet 1X.

I can't imagine the XSX has spent less than $1 on their cooling solution either.

Maybe you can link it for me 'cause I have read through all the tweets from today that I saw - and quoted them!
I cut the "confirm", it was bad wording by me. But for me the scenario I predicted just got more likely than ever. Doesn't mean you or anyone else has to agree with me here.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

This is the one i talking about .
It's best not to use percentage since $20 or $30 extra on BOM cost is hundreds of million of dollars extra .
So something like $50 for eg would be significantly higher when it comes to cost .

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't give us the clock, but a hint on higher clocks. Otherwise why else would be the cooling "unusually expensive" ?

xsx likely has more cooling than current gen - look at the form factor and lots of people talking about it needing to dissipate more heat. But that's rumoured to be 54-56CUs at a lower clock

ps5 at similar Bom could be the same and would stil need 'more' cooking cost than PS4.

github suggests 2GHz, the BOM IMO doesn't increase or decrease that Chance

III-V

Oct 25, 2017

This is the one i talking about .
It's best not to use percentage since $20 or $30 extra on BOM cost is hundreds of million of dollars extra .

I see that now. So you would say that a 10% difference in build cost is more than "significant"? Would not seem so to me.
Your $20 difference is 4.5%. Within 5% is "the same" to me. But I guess we would only argue semantics at that point. I can easily see a 5-12% difference in build cost given what he has said.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
I see that now. So you would say that a 10% difference in build cost is more than "significant"? Would not seem so to me.
Your $20 difference is 4.5%. Within 5% is "the same" to me. But I guess we would only argue semantics at that point. I can easily see a 5-12% difference in build cost given what he has said.

12% don't look significant because the percent is low but when you look at in money terms it's very significant .
Lets look at it this way both MS and Sony sell 10 million consoles but MS BOM is $50 more.
That is a extra cost of 500 million more if they the same price for MS.

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
xsx likely has more cooling than current gen - look at the form factor and lots of people talking about it needing to dissipate more heat. But that's rumoured to be 54-56CUs at a lower clock

ps5 at similar Bom could be the same and would stil need 'more' cooking cost than PS4.

github suggests 2GHz, the BOM IMO doesn't increase or decrease that Chance
For me the scenario I predicted just got more likely. Doesn't mean you or anyone else has to agree with me.

I base my scenario on the data point Github gave us and on the quote "Most of the components for the console have been locked down, the people said, including the cooling system, which is unusually expensive at a few dollars per unit." from the Bloomberg article.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
There may be doubt about PS5's target spec, but let there be no doubt XSX is targeting 12TF if their BOM is 460-520.
48QyA4N.jpg

I would rather point to a 400mm2 chip than a build cost.

12% don't look significant because the percent is low but when you look at in money terms it's very significant .
Lets look at it this way both MS and Sony sell 10 million consoles but MS BOM is $50 more.
That is a extra cost of 500 million more if they the same price for MS.
Yes, exactly. I o expect about a $50 difference here. And I don't expect them to price match Sony. Thats what the sandwich strategy is about.

For the power hungry, they have a more expensive XSX.
For the budget conscience, they have the cheaper XSS.

The whole idea is that MS will not have to get into a price war with Sony.

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Xbox One X's cooling was expensive and unconventional.

Xbox Series X's cooling looks expensive and unconventional.

PS5's cooling is said to be expensive and unconventional- oh shit Github leak confirmed.

CosmicBolt

Self-Requested Ban
Oct 28, 2017
If it was 36cu vs 56cu rdna architecture then the difference in BOM would have been significantly higher than ps5.

ZhugeEX saying series x BOM not significantly higher than ps5, just prove how outdated github info was and that insiders were correct in saying both consoles are very close.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
48QyA4N.jpg

I would rather point to a 400mm2 chip than a build cost.

Yes, exactly. I o expect about a $50 difference here. And I don't expect them to price match Sony. Thats what the sandwich strategy is about.

For the power hungry, they have a more expensive XSX.
For the budget conscience, they have the cheaper XSS.

The whole idea is that MS will not have to get into a price war with Sony.

Them getting into a price war will depend on Sony price IMO.
If Sony is $499 i see no problem but if Sony decide they will still be $399 or even $449 there no way i see MS being above them even with a cheaper model.

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020

PS5's cooling is said to be expensive and unconventional- oh shit Github leak confirmed.

The XSX cooking doesn't look expensive or unconventional to me. The form factor to allow the cooling looks unconventional, but the cooling itself is just a fan (or maybe two?) as far as we know.

Sep 19, 2019
Hamburg- Germany

How does the XSX cooling solution can look expensive when noone saw it yet ? If anything you could conclude from the form factor that they can choose a more cheaper and simpler cooling solution than in One X.

lynux3

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
How does the XSX cooling solution can look expensive when noone saw it yet ? If anything you could conclude from the form factor that they can choose a more cheaper and simpler cooling solution than in One X.
https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2019/12/12/microsoft-unveils-xbox-series-x/
Xbox Series X will be our fastest, most powerful console ever and set a new bar for performance, speed and compatibility, allowing you to bring your gaming legacy, thousands of games from three generations and more forward with you. Its industrial design enables us to deliver four times the processing power of Xbox One X in the most quiet and efficient way, something that is critically important in delivering truly immersive gameplay.
Seems to me Microsoft isn't cheaping out on their cooling solution either.

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Folks obviously Sony blew their budget on a cooling solution. Better off getting a firehose amirite?
Nobody complains about their BOM, right?
Some (including me) just think that the "unusually expensive" cooling solution is a hint to those alleged higher clocks we talk about a year now, means even before Github.
#speculation

Last edited:

klik

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
Everytime i look at those PS4 revenue graphs i have a feeling Sony made more money on PS4 than it did on PS1/PS2/PS3 combined. This has been incredible generation for them, i hope this continues with PS5 too

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Yeah I can see ms announcing 499 to 599 hoping sony goes 449 to 549 then they announce Lockhart at 299to bring the heat to sony

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
If it was 36cu vs 56cu rdna architecture then the difference in BOM would have been significantly higher than ps5.

ZhugeEX saying series x BOM not significantly higher than ps5, just prove how outdated github info was and that insiders were correct in saying both consoles are very close.

If that pans out, maybe it'll end up being 48cu vs 56cu, with a higher clock on Sony's GPU, making the difference extremely small.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America

ZhugeEX predicted an average of $30 extra BOM cost for SeX. That is more than enough to upgrade from 36 to 56 CUs.

With this new info, I am pretty sure the PS5 will come in around 10 TF. The marketing power of 10 Tflops is way better than 9 Tflops so I don't see them sticking with 9.2 unless their expensive cooling really can't handle it.

Bottom line, both consoles will come in at $500. MS will take a slightly larger loss than Sony at launch. Maybe close to a billion in losses the first year, compared to half that for Sony. At that price, Microsoft will definitely have the best hardware and I expect them to go toe to toe with Sony in 2021 sales as the "30% more powerful!: arguments start swirling around on forums, youtube and school recess.

Could Cerny really have lost the design battle? I don't want to believe it yet, but yeah, maybe.

Last edited:

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
ZhugeEX predicted an average of $30 extra BOM cost for SeX. That is more than enough to upgrade from 36 to 56 CUs.

With this new info, I am pretty sure the PS5 will come in around 10 TF. The marketing power of 10 Tflops is way better than 9 Tflops so I don't see them sticking with 9.2 unless their expensive cooling really can't handle it.

Bottom line, both consoles will come in at $500. MS will take a slightly larger loss than Sony at launch. Maybe close to a billion in losses the first year, compared to half that for Sony. At that price, Microsoft will definitely have the best console and I expect them to go toe to toe with Sony in 2021 sales as the "35% more powerful!: arguments start swirling around on forums, youtube and school recess.

Could Cerny really have lost the design battle? I don't want to believe it yet, but yeah, maybe.
10 TF would mean though that they activate all 40 CUs at 2 Ghz, or do you expect they try to clock even higher than 2.Ghz just with 36CUs?

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017

Bottom line, both consoles will come in at $500. MS will take a slightly larger loss than Sony at launch. Maybe close to a billion in losses the first year, compared to half that for Sony. At that price, Microsoft will definitely have the best console and I expect them to go toe to toe with Sony in 2021 sales as the "35% more powerful!: arguments start swirling around on forums, youtube and school recess.

If Sony isn't willing to take the same margin loss as MS, that's not something that reflects poorly on the design. Cerny will be working with the cost he's been given to work with. The final price wrt that is a business more than a hardware engineering choice. Cerny's design relative to his cost may well be as optimal as Microsoft's, or more... we couldn't quite judge it poorly because of a margins choice.

Last edited:

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Nobody complains about their BOM, right?
Some (including me) just think that the "unusually expensive" cooling solution is a hint of those alleged higher clocks we talk about a year now, means even before Github.
#speculation
Of course it is fine speculation Colbert. I think people grow tired of hearing that only grounded speculation must include not more than 36CU from the get-go.

What is the precedent for MS becoming the loss leader with $1e9 losses in the first year?

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
In any case both systems will probably have price bump from the original idea.
XSX might break over $499.

foamdino

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
10 TF would mean though that they activate all 40 CUs at 2 Ghz, or do you expect they try to clock even higher than 2.Ghz just with 36CUs?

I personally think that 2.2Ghz wouldn't be out of reach as I think that Navi allows for significantly higher clocks and the 5700 cards (which everyone seems to be assuming are the be-all and end-all of clocks, heat, performance [and in the case of the PS5 maximum CU count]) are the first gen through 7nm. The next set of Navi cards will have 10-15% efficiency gains again as AMD learn more about how to optimise the process+design to work together - I'd stake my avatar on that, except I'm already in an avatar bet on reveal dates...

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Of course it is fine speculation Colbert. I think people grow tired of hearing that only grounded speculation must include not more than 36CU from the get-go.
Give me a data point with other numbers from a legit leak/source that me and others can check (including DF) and I happily will change my mind. But for the moment it is the only data point we have.

Sep 19, 2019
Hamburg- Germany
And that somehow indicates that Xbox Series X's thermal solution is cheap?

Not cheap but not unusul expensive as they don't need to control the heat within a small form factor. Just imagine throwing in a APU (initially created for small form factors) into an almost small PC tower like design.

The costs for a bigger housing is ridiculous small compared to a cooling solution especially designed for small form factors with a powerful APU inside.

Just imagine both Sony and MS would have the exact same APU but one is using a tradtional small housing and one is using a big tower kind of housing. See clear now ?

lynux3

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Give me a data point with other numbers from a legit leak/source that me and others can check (including DF) I happily will change my mind. But for the moment it is the data we have.
You seem fine with Xbox Series X being 12TF without any data; why not include more than 36CUs for PS5?
Not cheap but not unusul expensive as they don't need to control the heat within a small form factor. Just imagine throwing in a APU (initially created for small form factors) into an almost small PC tower like design.

The costs for a bigger housing is ridiculous small compared to a cooling solution especially designed for small form factors with a powerful APU inside.

Just imagine both Sony and MS would have the exact same APU but one is using a tradtional small housing and one is using a big tower kind of housing. See clear now ?
I'm just saying that the casing is associated and just as important for thermal dissipation, not just a heat sink and fan. To me it sounds like Microsoft will be using a large, low RPM fan and a heat sink with enough surface area/fins/whatever to keep temperatures under control.

Status
Not open for further replies.