• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which team are you on?

• Double Team (1997)

• Team Walnut

• The A-Team

• Team "No One Can Stop Mr. Domino"

• Sports Team

• "I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel."

• Team Margarita

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
Imagine believing Mochizuki

( Maybe PS5 and XBX will be 599 or more but again imagine believing this guy )

MykhellMikado

Alt account
Banned
Jan 13, 2020
I wonder if the price inflation would make Lockhart a no go.. what would be the point if the price wasn't half with 1/3 of the performance.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
I think people are being overly optimistic about wholesale SSD costs.
Idk... I know you can get a 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD at retail for as low as $114.

Back in 2013, a 500GB 2.5" HDD cost around $60. sony/ms ended up paying about half that to get that in their consoles.

I also expect that sony/ms aren't going to be using a consumer of the shelf solution for their SSD, and that it would be embedded on the board, which to e means that it should be even cheaper than otherwise just making a bulk order or SSDs.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
The ultimate irony is that this whole forum has been constantly whining that the PS4 and Pro sound like jet engines, but now that we have word that PS5 is using a more expensive and elaborate cooling solution most likely to address these complaints and everyone goes, "This confirms Github was true and Sony is building a weaker machine!"
I hope they go back to clickable buttons. My ps4 was plagued by disc ejects until I covered it with adhesive.
But ps5 is shaping up to be a pretty sweet system, I'm happy they're taking cooling, and noise levels seriously this time around.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
Good morning...
giphy.gif
It's almost a daily occurrence now. Hope we get useful info soon.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
What's wrong with Mochizuki?
Lot of his reports were far from being right.

For istance he described Switch as a console with " State of the art components" or said in 2018 that a Switch Pro would have been released in 2019 ( won't even be out in 2020 ) or said in 2017 that Nintendo was looking to ship between 25 and 30 M of console in 2018.

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany

Back in 2013, a 500GB 2.5" HDD cost around $60. sony/ms ended up paying about half that to get that in their consoles.

I also expect that sony/ms aren't going to be using a consumer of the shelf solution for their SSD, and that it would be embedded on the board, which to e means that it should be even cheaper than otherwise just making a bulk order or SSDs.
What flash supplier do we assume for Sony and MS? Samsung, Micron, Intel?

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland

The 1TB SSDs at those prices are not the >3GB/s models consoles are rumored to be receiving.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017

Great news, console sales aren't going anywhere. It's funny how many people declared with absolute certainty that this generation would be the 'beginning of the end' for the traditional home console.

I fully expect PS5/XSX to sell just as much as this gen if not more.

gogojira

Oct 27, 2017
I'm I the only one who doesn't care about TF? I just want the PS5 to have mind blowing exclusive games that look better than PS4 games. I'm easy to please

You're on an enthusiast forum so I think drawing from this crowd isn't going to give accurate results. Nobody in the mainstream is going to buy a console based on teraflops, lol.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
And to think, MS and Sony were both nervous last gen about consoles dying!
That's what is happening when you start to listening the "analysts".
At least, this time, they wasn't cheap on hardware. Even if we don't know everything, going from a very slow HDD (even at that time) to a high performance SSD is already quite something.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
And to think, MS and Sony were both nervous last gen about consoles dying!

I think you mean the BS FUD-peddling media. Sony and MS were acutely aware of what their own sales and marketing data were telling them; and it wasn't that consoles didn't have a future.

They were? Pretty sure it was just bullshit from the media.

This.

------------

Transistor , the poll should have an option, "What's a corndog?" for those of us not from North America who are unfamiliar with the savoury corn-based treat in question.

Convasse

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA, USA
We must be twins as I was looking forward to some DS myself for it's calming affect on me.
I was quite critical of Kojima and the marketing plan around Death Stranding, it seemed incoherent and vague. Thus, I didn't pay it much attention in terms of reading previews and what not. I never felt as if I truly grasped what the game was "about."

I went in blind and now I'm hooked. I'm delivering ALL the packages. I'm building and cooperating and really enjoying myself. And the game is highly impressive on a technical level too; wandering around the world, taking in the vistas. I'm currently on chapter 3 just trying to 5 star all the preppers. The change of pace from the usual shootbangs I've played is wonderful.

I've gotten to savor an embarrassment of riches on PlayStation 4 this generation. Whatever the PS5 is on a technical level, I'm in. I want to experience whatever the next God of War, Horizon, Spiderman, etc. have to offer.

Deleted member 10747

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean I know that but people really want it to cost 399 and still want top of the line hardware. Why not 299 for those 399 peeps? It is just frustrating seeing it should be 399 and seeing it since November 2018.
Agreed. So weird that people always expect the same....Only because it happend once.
The only real credible leaker.
Fist to leaked the new Xbox next generation codenames. Fist to leaked the Xbox Series x ports. First to leak Elite Controller Series 2. First to leak Xbox One S All Digital Edition.
And all turned out to be 100% accurate and correct.
Wasn't he the first person to say that lockhart was canceled? Or am i remembering wrong?
Nah, some of us are just lurking, watching, judging. Can't wait to spend time with Death Stranding this weekend <3
Sorry to hear. Working in the weekend is always crappy! ;)

haven't played it myself yet....I really need to buy it.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
They were? Pretty sure it was just bullshit from the media.

Pretty sure this is accurate. The Wii, 3DS, Vita, and WiiU all either suffered serious declines or completely crashed and burned prior to the ps4/xbo launches, and mobile was the primary cause.

There were definitely concerns about console viability at that time.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Your entire post seems very reasonable to me.

The only thing I don't get: Wouldn't MS be forced to bump their price as well? The RAM scarcity should hit them even harder than Sony due to more RAM in XSX.

Assuming MS can hold the $499 they once planned would mean either that MS is OK taking huge losses to meet Sony's price, or that their origonal BOM was only slightly higher than that of the PS5.
In both cases it wouldn't have been plausible for MS to originally target a price $100 more expensive than PS5, would it?
Microsoft would want to hold on $499 because they would be competitive with a $499 PS5.

It seems like MS were expecting PS5 to be $399, so if that gets bumped in price to $499 then it's in Xbox's best interest to maintain their price for an actual competition with PS5. They would also know by now what advantages PS5 has so if the rumors are true that PS5 has a better GPU, it hurts MS a lot less if the consoles are the same price, instead of it being $100 cheaper than the Series X.

Microsoft don't really lose much and if anything they actually gain by sticking with $499 while Sony does have to choose between $399 and $499.

It sounds a bit war chest like, but I think Phil can justify to Nadella why they shouldn't put the Series X at $599.

Oct 31, 2019
I was quite critical of Kojima and the marketing plan around Death Stranding, it seemed incoherent and vague. Thus, I didn't pay it much attention in terms of reading previews and what not. I never felt as if I truly grasped what the game was "about."

I went in blind and now I'm hooked. I'm delivering ALL the packages. I'm building and cooperating and really enjoying myself. And the game is highly impressive on a technical level too; wandering around the world, taking in the vistas. I'm currently on chapter 3 just trying to 5 star all the preppers. The change of pace from the usual shootbangs I've played is wonderful.

I've gotten to savor an embarrassment of riches on PlayStation 4 this generation. Whatever the PS5 is on a technical level, I'm in. I want to experience whatever the next God of War, Horizon, Spiderman, etc. have to offer.
Man I envy you in terms of going in blind, I read some reviews which were pretty damning but knowing his oeuvre and Kojima being Kojima I still bought the game and I was blown away even by the core game mechanic many paints as 'walking simulator' I'm on chapter 6 and 210hrs in, I was 100+ in chapter 3 alone.... I really love the vistas, and trying to figure out the best way to deliver maximum amount of cargo, and then the game surprises you with a revolutionary change and then does the same fucking thing again and your whole formula to calculate that changes twice over. I am also still trying to 5 star peppers and I can still discover a thing I haven't seen or a gameplay mechanic I was unaware of, really it blows my mind. After this game, I decided to avoid graded reviews with extreme prejudice. Reading some emails or preppier interviews is so much better than reading those reviews, as I am constantly thinking of how it actually applies to our current day and age and the society we live in and its exactly leaving my feeling dumbfounded as I wasn't expecting anything like this from the game.

Deleted member 1003

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Seriously, DS on the surface is something that makes no sense. Even playing it doesn't make much more sense, but when you actually get into the loop, it strangely fun and addictive to deliver packages.

I went in blind as well because I wanted to experience it for myself, good or bad. I love it.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
What flash supplier do we assume for Sony and MS? Samsung, Micron, Intel?
my guess would be Samsung. I could see sony landing a pretty good deal for RAM and storage from them.
The 1TB SSDs at those prices are not the >3GB/s models consoles are rumored to be receiving.
True, but there isn't anything out there that falls in line with what we are supposedly receiving.

Furthermore, the PCIe 4 is more about the APU, followed by the SSD controller. NAND flash is just NAND flash.

So the question is, where is sony getting their controller from, and where are they getting their NAND flash chips from? They don't have to be from the same place. Now how much does 1TB worth of NAND flash cost? how much does controller with DRAM cost? Thes are things we should be looking at if we really wanna narrow down the cost of a storage solution, and this would be so much easier if sony were just going to use some off the shelf SSD solution. Which in truth I believe it would be ultimately more expensive to attain what they are trying to do.

TRios Zen

Oct 25, 2017
If its one of those weak info dumps... then people like him and others that do that can go fuck themselves.

Really tired of all this stupid teasing that usually amounts to be nothing.
This is unnecessarily toxic I think; Brad covers all things MS and is not beholden to this thread to provide info on next-gen gaming. I get your frustration with the lack of information, but taking it out on folks who generally provide good information is a bad path IMO.

News was about MS Spring Hardware event, not Xbox BTW.

Cyborg

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Super excited times ahead!
All these reports about Sony, lack of communication, Sony top management starting to get involved etc. is honestly worrying me. Im having a feeling this will be a complete mess (I hope Im so wrong)

LordBlodgett

Jan 10, 2020
Seems everyone is treating this Bloomberg story as "solid leaks", but they aren't a very reliable source AFAIK. Not too long ago, as far as everyone can tell so far, they completely made up a huge story of Chinese espionage and hacking of SuperMicro (a huge server / workstation motherboard OEM), and in turn Apple and Amazon AWS etc. Total nonsense, pedaled as fact. See: https://appleinsider.com/articles/1...-stands-by-its-big-hack-icloud-spy-chip-story or just google "bloomberg supermicro". Of course, it could all be true also and just some exceptional work in track-covering tradecraft!
Bloomberg may not be tech focused, but they are one of the gold standards in the world of business reporting. Though they have been wrong about things before they are definitely a more trustworthy source than something like Business Insider or Forbes.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
Super excited times ahead!
All these reports about Sony, lack of communication, Sony top management starting to get involved etc. is honestly worrying me. Im having a feeling this will be a complete mess (I hope Im so wrong)

Relax, Cyborg.

I'm sure Sony will launch a successful PS5 and in 10 months time you won't even remember all the doom and gloom in this thread; regardless of what the TFLOPs end up being.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
SaltySnake is back!

The article states a $450 build cost for PS5. Sony is concerned about thermals, hopefully engineered for quiet operation.

ZhugeEX places XSX build cost to be $460-520. He is taking into context the increased prices, same as Sony has seen. He also seems to imply that we should not expect to see less than we shouldn't expect to see consoles at $399 price tag.

He states that the XSX build cost is just a bit higher than the PS5 build cost. It appears all other costs associated with taking the product to market might make up an additional 5-10%.

Finally, it is suggested that the most MS or Sony might eat would place the retail price at or near the build cost.

It would seem, at least provisionally, we might be looking at a $450 PS5 and a $499 XSX, with both taking ~$50 loss.
So it's $10-70 more. thats as wide of an estimate as 8-14 tflops.

While $450 sounds much better than $381, i dont see how that gets them to 10+ tflops with SSD, RAM and more expensive cooling especially if its taking MS $10-70 more dollars to get to 12.

Status
Not open for further replies.