• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which team are you on?

• Double Team (1997)

• Team Walnut

• The A-Team

• Team "No One Can Stop Mr. Domino"

• Sports Team

• "I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel."

• Team Margarita

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoenix15

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Neither of those sentences are a safe assumption.

Both PS5 and Xbox SX used the same type of components, from the same factory, and uses Foxconn for the production.

So yes, the two have the same issue.

Indeed.
Btw, there are now supply chain problems in Vietnam also:

Yep. Because even if the main production move from China to Vietnam, the components still comes from China.

And you can't assemble a product if you are not able to have the components... (yeah that's Captain Obvious speaking)

Last edited:

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
Both PS5 and Xbox SX used the same type of components, from the same factory, and uses Foxconn for the production.

Yep. Because even if the main production move from China to Vietnam, the components still comes from China.

And you can't assemble a product if you are not able to have the components... (yeah that's Captain Obvious speaking)

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017

Delaying the launch would be a strategic decision, though, and the companies don't share the same strategy.

It's unlikely that COVID-19 would make production of either product impossible. What's more likely is that the production costs would increase, due to a reduced supply of components and increased demand for factory output. The consoles are likely to have different amounts of margin, are potentially targeting different price points entirely, and are made by different companies with differing tolerances for risk and differing willingness to eat the temporarily higher production costs in order to secure a 2020 release (especially if their competitor doesn't). Delaying is a decision, and I don't see how you can assume that both companies will make the same decision, given their different positions in the market and different strategic goals.

I think it's most likely that neither will delay, precisely because each company lacks the guarantee that the other will also delay and they don't want to risk giving the other a potential edge. (A delay could also damage the platform vendor's relationship with third parties at the very start of the generation, which is not ideal.) It is a completely unsupported assumption to say that one company delaying will guarantee that the other must also delay. It isn't hard to envision a scenario where one company (say, the market leader) chooses to delay to avoid high production costs, while the other (a hungry challenger) is willing to pay the higher costs because the other delayed.

Citation needed on "from the same factory," too. Foxconn has lots of factories.

Phoenix15

Banned
Oct 23, 2019

Maybe my English is not good enough for me to make myself understood correctly. Sorry.
I never said that there would necessarily be consequences for Next-Gen.
I just said that IF consequences there should be, it would inevitably affect the two manufacturers in the same proportions.
IF there were to be consequences, and only IF.
And the words of the Zhuge don't contradict that. He is only saying that at this point, we are not able to say if ther will be consequences or not. And I've never said the opposit either.

Delaying the launch would be a strategic decision, though, and the companies don't share the same strategy.

It's unlikely that COVID-19 would make production of either product impossible. What's more likely is that the production costs would increase, due to a reduced supply of components and increased demand for factory output. The consoles are likely to have different amounts of margin, are potentially targeting different price points entirely, and are made by different companies with differing tolerances for risk and differing willingness to eat the temporarily higher production costs in order to secure a 2020 release (especially if their competitor doesn't). Delaying is a decision, and I don't see how you can assume that both companies will make the same decision, given their different positions in the market and different strategic goals.

I think it's most likely that neither will delay, precisely because each company lacks the guarantee that the other will also delay and they don't want to risk giving the other a potential edge. (A delay could also damage the platform vendor's relationship with third parties at the very start of the generation, which is not ideal.) It is a completely unsupported assumption to say that one company delaying will guarantee that the other must also delay. It isn't hard to envision a scenario where one company (say, the market leader) chooses to delay to avoid high production costs, while the other (a hungry challenger) is willing to pay the higher costs because the other delayed.

Citation needed on "from the same factory," too. Foxconn has lots of factories.

You can assemble the console in any factory of your choice anywhere in the world, you can move it anywhere in the world if it needs to be moved.
BUT, the basic components require special processes which cannot be moved to any factory with a snap of the fingers.
And the two consoles being based on the same types of components, AMD RNDA, which necessarily come from the same factories whatever happens...

This is exactly what happens to Samsung and Nintendo, they moved the assemble of their products in Vietnam due to Coronavirus issues... But their bases components still needs to be prodcuts in the same chinese factory and can't be moved...

Last edited:

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
Maybe my English is not good enough for me to make myself understood correctly. Sorry.
I just said that IF consequences there should be, it would inevitably and inevitably affect the two manufacturers in the same proportions.
IF there were to be consequences, and only IF
No problem, i agree , it's still a big IF but delay is a possibility if things don't return to normal by April-May.

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
I just said that IF consequences there should be, it would inevitably affect the two manufacturers in the same proportions.
IF there were to be consequences, and only IF.
And the words of the Zhuge don't contradict that. He is only saying that at this point, we are not able to say if ther will be consequences or not. And I've never said the opposit either.
It's not necessary that the two companies are affected on the same level though. Sony might be needing more consoles assembled for the same time frame based on internal projections and thus being far more liable to delays. In addition, based on the selected price point, Sony might again be more sensitive to price hikes versus MS which might have already picked a price that's high enough to mitigate any NAND shortages for example.

So, even though the two companies might be affected in a similar way, the final outcome might be vey different based on pricing and launch period unit orders. You can definitely have a scenario where MS thinks it can produce 3m units at $499 but Sony is unable to ensure 6m units at $399 after the price hikes.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah... Tell that to Sega.

www.theguardian.com

Sega Saturn: how one decision destroyed PlayStation's greatest rival

After the huge success of the Mega Drive, Sega was filled with confidence about its future. But then on this week, twenty years ago, everything fell apart
That was the dumbest move anyone could have made, making it literally available at that moment. If Sony were to show it off in May or June, or even August, I think a November launch would still be fine. But no, they shouldn't show it off literally one month before.

There is a reason Sega is in the software business now.

Phoenix15

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
No problem, i agree , it's still a big IF but delay is a possibility if things don't return to normal by April-May.

But I've never denied that this is a big IF.
It's an enormous IF.
But I was responding to a specific message originally, who was talking about the possibility or there would be a problem.

And I was saying "EVENTUAL" problems since the begining

Phoenix15

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
It's not necessary that the two companies are affected on the same level though. Sony might be needing more consoles assembled at the same time frame based on internal projections and thus being far more liable to delays. In addition, based on the selected price point, Sony might again be more sensitive to price hikes versus MS which might have already piked a price that's high enough to mitigate any NAND shortages for example. So, even though the two companies might be affected in a similar way, the final outcome might be vey different based on pricing and launch period unit orders.

Let's be clear : You will not delay the entire launch because you can only produce like 80% of the planned quantities.

If they decide to delay the launch, it is because the consequences on the quantities will be very, very, very important, and therefore that they will be a problem for both.

Unless you think Xbox is genuinely planning to launch with less than half of PS5's planned quantities

Last edited:

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
You can assemble the console in any factory of your choice anywhere in the world, you can move it anywhere in the world if it needs to be moved.
BUT, the basic components require special processes which cannot be moved to any factory with a snap of the fingers.
And the two consoles being based on the same types of components which necessarily come from the same factories whatever happens ...

I don't even understand what you're talking about. Nobody is talking about moving production out of China.

I really don't know how to make it any clearer than my previous post, Phoenix15. Delaying is a strategic decision, and two different companies with different strategies may not make the same decision. It's really as simple as that. Even if they face the exact same problem (increased production cost) they may not respond to it in the exact same way.

It's not necessary that the two companies are affected on the same level though. Sony might be needing more consoles assembled at the same time frame based on internal projections and thus being far more liable to delays. In addition, based on the selected price point, Sony might again be more sensitive to price hikes versus MS which might have already piked a price that's high enough to mitigate any NAND shortages for example. So, even though the two companies might be affected in a similar way, the final outcome might be vey different based on pricing and launch period unit orders.

Exactly.

Phoenix15

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
I don't even understand what you're talking about. Nobody is talking about moving production out of China.

I really don't know how to make it any clearer than my previous post, Phoenix15. Delaying is a strategic decision, and two different companies with different strategies may not make the same decision. It's really as simple as that. Even if they face the exact same problem (increased production cost) they may not respond to it in the exact same way.

Exactly.

We are talking about production issues. It's not strategical.

What is the strategy to maintain a launch if you find yourself in the material impossibility of manufacturing your product ?

That's what we are talking about :
We are not talking about canceled an event attending "just in case" here...

The coronavirus which forces Nex-Gen to be postponed means that the manufacturers find themselves in the physical and material incapacity to manufacture the consoles. And nothing else.

So there is no strategy here

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
Let's be clear : You will not delay the entire launch because you can only produce like 80% of the planned quantities.

If they decide to delay the launch, it is because the consequences on the quantities will be very, very, very important, and therefore that they will be a problem for both.

Unless you think Xbox is genuinely planning to launch with less than half of PS5's planned quantities
I meant launch period in general. Sony would want to ensure a constant supply at a set cost to them. It's not just about the first few months but the 2021 as well. If Sony is projecting 20m vs 10m for the first 12 months it's a big difference.

Phoenix15

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
I meant launch period in general. Sony would want to ensure a constant supply at a set cost to them. It's not just about the first few months but the 2021 as well. If Sony is projecting 20m vs 10m for the first 12 months it's a big difference.

Better a more reduced launch with management of breaks than a fully delayed launch leaving room for the competitor.

But again, there is talk of a huge impact on the quantities for them to make this decision.

An impact that will inevitably hit both

(Again, Microsoft produces as much in China at Sony, and they both use the same types of AMD CPUs)

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
And this is why everyone shouldn't be making everything in China.

God forbid this gets a lot worse and manufacturing is shut down fo the next 9 months. Like nearly every electronic device imaginable would be affected.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Some pics of the PlayStation reveal in May 1994.

Diehard GameFan
8Cv6MK5.jpg

EGM
TDt1qeg.jpg

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, these consoles will be delayed if the outbreak won't slow down / stop soon. This is just based on my pessimistic gut feeling. Nothing more. :)

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
Moving console production out of China is irrelevant as many of the individual components are manufactured in China.

Deleted member 1003

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And this is why everyone shouldn't be making everything in China.

God forbid this gets a lot worse and manufacturing is shut down fo the next 9 months. Like nearly every electronic device imaginable would be affected.
China has a very efficient infrastructure in place, that is why things are built there and why they will continue to build there.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
We are talking about production issues. It's not strategical.

Oh my god.

"Production Strategist" is literally a job title. Companies like Sony and Microsoft have entire departments devoted to the strategy of responding to things just like this.

What is the strategy to maintain a launch if you find yourself in the material impossibility of manufacturing your product ?

I'm going to speak as clearly as I can: it is extremely unlikely that it will be materially impossible to manufacture PlayStations this year. You keep talking about quantities and it being "impossible." That's fundamentally the wrong way to think of it. If it's literally impossible to source the required NAND chips by midsummer — like if any production has become impossible — then we have way bigger problems than PlayStations; that would be, like, global economic collapse territory. That is so far outside of the models it is not what anyone is talking about when they are talking about a potential delay.

Think of it in terms of production cost. The concern isn't that the components won't exist, the issue is that they would be supply-constrained (with a knock-on effect from the fab closures) and a steady demand on a limited supply would push the price up. Then, both hardware vendors would have to make a decision: either pay the higher costs or push out the timeline. And the two vendors might choose to different things, because it is a choice.

The issue isn't really one of production becoming impossible, it's one of production becoming impractical, and each vendor might draw the line for "impractical" in a different place.

Deleted member 31104

Banned
Nov 5, 2017

www.theguardian.com

After the huge success of the Mega Drive, Sega was filled with confidence about its future. But then on this week, twenty years ago, everything fell apart

That was more a logistics and supply failure, coupled with a staggered global rollout which pissed off the hardcore who imported from Japan at a massive cost only to be hit with a stealth US release at a half the price than they paid. The market and how people buy has changed. Apple et al have all went for an imminent launch model of product marketing. As long as you nail the logistics, there's little point in the 6 month wait.

Oct 25, 2017
Well, good news Era! I'm back from the past! Unfortunately, Doc wasn't able to get the time machine back up and running, but, as luck would have it, two other time travelers came to my rescue! Say hi to the forum, guys!

1685560e759544abaa1c75e89c99a5eb.gif

They're just great aren't they? Anyways, now that I'm back, we can continue with the festivities! Let's take a look here..... Checks notes.....

WOW! We've got a few people up tonight, don't we?

Mastermind
RoadHazard
texhnolyze
TheRealTalker
MrKlaw
SayemAhmd
thebigmanjosh
mister.metronome

All of you, please step forward. I will admit, I liked the date you picked. An anniversary of a reveal. It's like poetry. It rhymed. Yet, it was not meant to be. For the crimes of incorrectly picking a console reveal date, I hereby sentence you to the following avatars.

Mastermind, yours is a dated and blurry can of SPAM. Yummy!

DTTiD7y.png

RoadHazard, keeping with your name, you get this lovely clipart of a traffic cone. Vroom vroom!

wSzh4oW.png

texhnolyze, for you a good ol' NYC trash can fire! That'll keep things warm until the reveal!

hdktWnF.png

TheRealTalker, let's see how badass you look carrying around the only game with a Doug button!

XpktN5o.png

MrKlaw, you're gonna have to use the klaw grip to avoid this mess!

vPHv7KI.png

SayemAhmd , I brought you something back when we stopped in the 80's so I could pick up some NES games!

U10pk64.png

thebigmanjosh, gonna feel big with an avatar from the hit movie Garfield 2?

CyDIhEG.png

mister.metronome, for the person who has everything, your very own copy of Ken: By Request Only!

4frblI4.png

Well, this has been a very fun day! I'm having a wonderful time! Well, I've gotta go, this booze ain't gonna drink itself. My two friends have a message for the rest of you, though...

source.gif

And

tumblr_lyii568N5f1r34xmno2_r1_500.gifv

Blessed to be wrong.

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
That was more a logistics and supply failure, coupled with a staggered global rollout which pissed off the hardcore who imported from Japan at a massive cost only to be hit with a stealth US release at a half the price than they paid. The market and how people buy has changed. Apple et al have all went for an imminent launch model of product marketing. As long as you nail the logistics, there's little point in the 6 month wait.
I still think it's a bad idea. Consoles don't release on a yearly basis. They're supposed to last you an entire generation, so marketing them well does have an impact. Just look at the launch of the PS4 and X1.

Besides, Microsoft won't let up - They'll likely have their own conference before E3 and they'll be at E3 as well. Not to mention PAX and GDC. Sony showing nothing until some month/s before launch is a horrible, horrible idea, IMO.

The success of the PS4 partially proves that.

Cthulhu_Steev

Oct 27, 2017
Crazy to me they're canceling all these events with the WHO saying outside of China there is less than 1% mortality rate (0.68%). 7 total deaths outside of China.

I still expect leaks out of GDC however

That's pretty big odds for a novel virus that we have basically no immunity against just now.

And the risk of infection is small because it is being contained, what do you think happens if we just let it spread for a little while?

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
If the virus situation takes too long to improve I could see world wide launches becoming regional. Imagine both launching this holiday in their biggest markets first, Microsoft launching in North America and Sony launching in Europe. That would make for some interesting sales data and internet insanity.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK

www.theguardian.com

That title is really annoying me lol.

Sega was Nintendo's greatest rival, not Sony, Sony just came out and put them in the ground (also due to Sega decisions) so to call them great rivals would be silly.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I still think it's a bad idea. Consoles don't release on a yearly basis. They're supposed to last you an entire generation, so marketing them well does have an impact. Just look at the launch of the PS4 and X1.

Besides, Microsoft won't let up - They'll likely have their own conference before E3 and they'll be at E3 as well. Not to mention PAX and GDC. Sony showing nothing until some month/s before launch is a horrible, horrible idea, IMO.

The success of the PS4 partially proves that.

Microsoft/Xbox is not at PAX East. Check the list of exhibitors. As for GDC, we have no idea if more companies will pull out yet. I think we won't hear anything from Xbox until E3.

Sony, yea, we should hear something before then. Do a state of play if your worried for your employees. Hell, do more wired articles.

m23

Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft/Xbox is not at PAX East. Check the list of exhibitors. As for GDC, we have no idea if more companies will pull out yet. I think we won't hear anything from Xbox until E3.

Sony, yea, we should hear something before then. Do a state of play if your worried for your employees. Hell, do more wired articles.

I believe Tom Warren said Xbox has an event before E3.

Edit: https://www.resetera.com/threads/ps...hread-ot9-for-flops-sake.162235/post-27855829

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
i'm alright, i have a note from my mum excusing me from avatar sacrifices.

Dear Mr Stephen Merchant,

My cutie pie child PJV3 (still think Brekin would have been a better choice for a name but his dad insisted), unfortunately has a rather nasty yeast infection. As such they will be unable to participate in the avatar sacrifice.

Thank you for your understanding,

signed, My mum

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If PS5 have problems with production I think the same idea apply to XSX right?
not really. someone found a patent or a job listing of a guy who worked on some kind of ssd or ram implementation on the xbox series x that doesnt use the kind of dram Sony is using.

also sony's cooling solution is more expensive which means they are going with higher clocks and that always has a potential to fuck things up.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
Still thinking late February/March for PS5 reveal event

PSLS: ARE YOU WORKING WITH SONY SPECIFICALLY TO ENSURE THAT GODFALL IS A HIGHLIGHT OF THE PS5 LAUNCH WINDOW? WHAT SUPPORT HAVE THEY OFFERED IN DEVELOPMENT OF THE GAME?
KEITH LEE: We're excited and honored to be selected by Sony to be a PS5 launch title. We plan to be alongside PlayStation every step of the way next year.

PSLS: THE TEASER SEEMED DELIBERATELY SHORT AND "TEASERY." WHEN CAN WE EXPECT TO SEE MORE OF GODFALL?
KEITH LEE: You can expect to see and hear more about Godfall next Spring!

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
If PS5 have problems with production I think the same idea apply to XSX right?
Possibly yes or no. See 2013 Hynix fire. Impacted Xbox but not Playstation.

not really. someone found a patent or a job listing of a guy who worked on some kind of ssd or ram implementation on the xbox series x that doesnt use the kind of dram Sony is using.
Sony also has a patent for DRAM-less SSD, which is most likely what they will be using as well.

foamdino

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Oh my god.

"Production Strategist" is literally a job title. Companies like Sony and Microsoft have entire departments devoted to the strategy of responding to things just like this.

I'm going to speak as clearly as I can: it is extremely unlikely that it will be materially impossible to manufacture PlayStations this year. You keep talking about quantities and it being "impossible." That's fundamentally the wrong way to think of it. If it's literally impossible to source the required NAND chips by midsummer — like if any production has become impossible — then we have way bigger problems than PlayStations; that would be, like, global economic collapse territory. That is so far outside of the models it is not what anyone is talking about when they are talking about a potential delay.

Think of it in terms of production cost. The concern isn't that the components won't exist, the issue is that they would be supply-constrained (with a knock-on effect from the fab closures) and a steady demand on a limited supply would push the price up. Then, both hardware vendors would have to make a decision: either pay the higher costs or push out the timeline. And the two vendors might choose to different things, because it is a choice.

The issue isn't really one of production becoming impossible, it's one of production becoming impractical, and each vendor might draw the line for "impractical" in a different place.
Further to this, it is quite likely that Sony will have modelled needing a certain amount of nand, and Microsoft have probably got a different value in mind due to the different amounts of consoles they each are expecting to sell in different territories at launch.

Also you know Sony needs that HBM2 😉

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
lol then wtf was that bloomberg article talking about?
Dude Bloomberg article was all kinds of confused. They were talking about DRAM and NAND for cameras unrelated to PS5, very sketchy IMO. No doubt the price may be impacted by DRAM, it's needed for the GDDR6, but that goes for XSX as well, and XSS if that truly is the case.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dude Bloomberg article was all kinds of confused. They were talking about DRAM and NAND for cameras unrelated to PS5, very sketchy IMO. No doubt the price may be impacted by DRAM, it's needed for the GDDR6, but that goes for XSX as well, and XSS if that truly is the case.
wouldnt they have locked in the contracts by now? we are only 8 months from launch which means all the parts are probably manufactured already and being sent for assembly.

maybe it will impact the cost next year but i would imagine sony and MS have already signed the deals and the money has likely already exchanged hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.