• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which team are you on?

• Double Team (1997)

• Team Walnut

• The A-Team

• Team "No One Can Stop Mr. Domino"

• Sports Team

• "I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel."

• Team Margarita

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
If you buy a game that is released on any Xbox One platform and the Series X (and maybe Lockhart), the game delivered to you is the game native to the platform depending on your platform (starting with Halo Infinite for 1st party).

It only is "BC" if you play a game on the Series X or Lockhart that is not patched up to the Series X/Lockhart.
Again, that's only for Smart Delivery titles. A publisher can make an SX version of a game that you have to buy separately from the One version of the game. In that case, you can play the One version on the SX without an additional purchase.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
As a PlayStation fan these specs makes me giddy about next gen. Hopefully the PS5 specs are similar.

Question to XBox fans here, honestly if Sony tomorrow announced that the PS5 is a 13TF machine with little bit better specs than Series X would even be bothered?
Nope. I'm getting an Xbox Series X regardless what the specs for PS5 are. I love the Xbox controller. Second to none. I have 3 years of game pass that I got for an embarassingly low price. I get to play all day one games exclusive on the Xbox platform also tons of other recent multiplats indies A AA AAA. I think with that and other incredible quality of life features (quietness, smart delivery, and future features like Xcloud etc it would be silly not to get it especially if one loves playing on consoles.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
I just dont understand why one of these insiders/leakers can't come out and say "___is more powerful than ___" straight up. Why all the vague teasing? Will they be hunted down and assassinated by Sony/MS hitmen if they say something? Or do they just like stringing people along because they enjoy knowing something others don't?

You had people say that it's just a matter of who you think right .
We had people saying MS more powerful or Sony more powerful .
Then you had people say they close , so it's you choice on who you think right .

m23

Oct 25, 2017
Uh that sounds like the plan? Reads to me like "see you at E3".

They specifically saved stuff like the price and release date which they'll announce at E3 obviously

That doesn't say "see you at E3", it means more news will be shared as we head to E3. Shinobi also confirmed more news will follow leading up to E3, there also seems to be a reveal event before E3. I do think that they will keep the price and release date for E3.

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
Good get the major stuff out of the way now and then itll be about games games games at E3. Plus price and launch date of course.

褲蓋Calo

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 1, 2020
Shenzhen, China
If PS5 doesn't not have any sort of VRS then it could potentially hurt ray tracing, too. Imagine casting the same numbers of rays for each pixel indistinguishably, that's a huge waste of computing resource.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
After this Microsoft have the go ahead to be completely radio silence if they want till E3, this is a megaton of news that'll keep us talking for months.

I'm sure this is only the beginning. From the press release today, it sounds like they will spend the next 3 months releasing even more information about Series X, so by the time E3 rolls around it will be all about the games.

I would bet that their E3 conference opens up immediately with Halo Infinite gameplay.

LordBlodgett

Jan 10, 2020
"Your favorite games, including titles in Xbox Game Pass, benefit from steadier framerates, faster load times and improved resolution and visual fidelity – all with no developer work required."

I wonder what ps4 BC on ps5 will look like. I hope it will be something like xbox is doing where the games automatically take advantage of the new hardware.
I also loved this quote. I played through RDR1 again on the One X before I got RDr2 and I was surprised at how much better it looked than the Xbox 360. I'm excited to see what BC improvements look like this time

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
What was announced today was exactly the plan.

tenor.gif

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
First: that margin is not just 10%, it's like 20%, a 9TF NVIDIA Turing beats a 9.7TF AMD GPU by 10%, that's 10% and another 10% from the TF difference, which is 20%.

Second: Truing is 20% ahead of RDNA1 WITHOUT VRS, with it that margin extends to 30%.

Turing is average 15% ahead of rdna1 WITHOUT vrs

We'll have to see how RDNA2 stacks up to Turing when it's all said and done. 2080S is a 11.15 TF GPU with 8GB of GDDR6 on a 256 but bus. XBOX Series X will be 12.36 TF with probably about 16GB of GDDR6 (24 GB per TechPowerUp) on what will most likely be a 384 bit bus. I'd venture to say the series X performance at 4K will be superior.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
So according to Matt, Smart Delivery is not next-gen patches for current gen games, but rather a new next-gen SKU that will be free to those with the current-gen version (as long as the publisher allows it for their games).

This is neat in a way, but the potential huge downside over next-gen patches is they very possibly wouldn't let you have the next-gen SKU if you put in a physical current-gen disc, because they wouldn't know if you own the game or not. Although I guess a potential workaround would be that, if you put in a current-gen disc, it automatically downloads the next-gen SKU instead of installing the current-gen game onto the SDD from the disc?

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
MS is doing a lot better job than Sony in communicationg their next gen plans
I'm sure this is only the beginning. From the press release today, it sounds like they will spend the next 3 months releasing even more information about Series X, so by the time E3 rolls around it will be all about the games.

I would bet that their E3 conference opens up immediately with Halo Infinite gameplay.

That or Cyberpunk.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
So according to Matt, Smart Delivery is not next-gen patches for current gen games, but rather a new next-gen SKU that will be free to those with the current-gen version (as long as the publisher allows it for their games).

This is neat in a way, but the potential huge downside over next-gen patches is they very possibly wouldn't let you have the next-gen SKU if you put in a physical current-gen disc, because they wouldn't know if you own the game or not. Although I guess a potential workaround would be that, if you put in a current-gen disc, it automatically downloads the next-gen SKU instead of installing the current-gen game onto the SDD from the disc?
It is possible for XBO titles to have SX patches as well. It all depends how a publisher wants to go about things.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
It is possible for XBO titles to have SX patches as well. It all depends how a publisher wants to go about things.
Ah, okay. This would be the preferred method, IMO. I wonder, if a Xbox One game gets a Series X patch, if it will be branded as a Smart Delivery-compatible title on the MS Store. Or if that term will only be used for titles specifically offering a Series X SKU for no extra cost.

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Again, that's only for Smart Delivery titles. A publisher can make an SX version of a game that you have to buy separately from the One version of the game. In that case, you can play the One version on the SX without an additional purchase.
I only talk about first party, I thought it was clear by having put "1st party" in the statement!
Good news is, CD Project Red already confirmed it will be the same for them, as soon the Series X update will be available!

Hopefully others will follow ..

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
First: that margin is not just 10%, it's like 20%, a 9TF NVIDIA Turing beats a 9.7TF AMD GPU by 10%, that's 10% and another 10% from the TF difference, which is 20%.

Second: Truing is 20% ahead of RDNA1 WITHOUT VRS, with it that margin extends to 30%.
According to Anandtech, the 2070S is about 5% faster than a (RDNA 1) 5700XT. Across Anandtech's testing, if we calculate TF based on the actual average clockspeeds witnessed during the testing (and not on stated boost clocks), the 5700XT would be 9.3 TF vs the 2070S at 9.1TF.

Turing and RDNA are closer in efficiency (as in capability per TF) than AMD and Nvidia have been in recent memory, and I'm sure RDNA 2 will improve AMD's position on that.

Muhammad

Mar 6, 2018
We'll have to see how RDNA2 stacks up to Turing when it's all said and done. 2080S is a 11.15 TF GPU with 8GB of GDDR6 on a 256 but bus. XBOX Series X will be 12.36 TF with probably about 16GB of GDDR6 (24 GB per TechPowerUp) on what will most likely be a 384 bit bus. I'd venture to say the series X performance at 4K will be superior.
Memory bandwidth and VRAM sizes alone are irrelevant, what matters is the overall arch, the Radeon VII has 1TB of bandwidth and 16GB of HBM2 RAM, yet it can't beat a 1080Ti, which has significantly less bandwidth.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Someone pass me the number to Jim Ryan, I need to give him a polite yet firm argument why we need PS5 info.

Searsy82

May 13, 2019
I thought Tier 2, for MS, has more features, no?
i cant find the chart that had the differences listed.
tiers.png

Tier 1
  • Shading rate can be specified only on a per-draw-basis; no more granular than that.
  • Shading rate applies uniformly to what is drawn independently of where it lies within the render target.
Tier 2
  • Shading rate can be specified on a per-draw basis, as in Tier 1. It can also be specified by a combination of per-draw basis, and of:
    • Semantic from each provoking vertex, and
    • a screen-space image.
  • Shading rates from the three sources are combined using a set of combiners.
  • Screen-space image tile size is 16x16 or smaller.
  • Shading rate requested by your application is guaranteed to be delivered exactly (for precision of temporal and other reconstruction filters).
  • SV_ShadingRate PS input is supported.
  • The per-provoking-vertex (also known as per-primitive) shading rate, is valid when one viewport is used and SV_ViewportArrayIndex is not written to.
  • The per-provoking-vertex rate can be used with more than one viewport if the SupportsPerVertexShadingRateWithMultipleViewports capability is set to true. Additionally, in that case, that rate can be used when SV_ViewportArrayIndex is written to.

Muhammad

Mar 6, 2018
According to Anandtech, the 2070S is about 5% faster than a (RDNA 1) 5700XT
Anand's pool is much more limited than either TPU or Hardware Unboxed. The 2070Super is 10 to 15% faster than 5700XT.
if we calculate TF based on the actual average clockspeeds witnessed during the testing (and not on stated boost clocks), the 5700XT would be 9.3 TF vs the 2070S at 9.1TF.
The actual boost clocks will vary according to cooling, card design and workload, you can't factor all of that inside.

LordBlodgett

Jan 10, 2020
Memory bandwidth and VRAM sizes alone are irrelevant, what matters is the overall arch, the Radeon VII has 1TB of bandwidth and 16GB of HBM2 RAM, yet it can't beat a 1080Ti, which has significantly less bandwidth.
The Radeon VII is not even RDNA1 tech though, it is the far less efficient GCN. We really have no good comparison for RDNA2 yet because it is not available in any released product yet.....

Muhammad

Mar 6, 2018
The Radeon VII is not even RDNA1 tech though, it is the far less efficient GCN. We really have no good comparison for RDNA2 yet because it is not available in any released product yet.....
I know that, I am just giving him an example why memory bandwidth alone doesn't matter, what matters is the overall arch. Memory bandwidth is tailored to serve the needs of the arch and can't be directly compared across different GPU archs.

foamdino

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It'll be largely the same.

Microsoft's patents on VRS are based on a DirectX implementation - unsurprisingly these don't really apply for Sony's APIs, but the underlying hardware has to be present as part of RDNA/Navi and it must be addressable in some fashion.

That's my take - oh and one more thing that KLee was pretty clear on (I believe first) - both have VRS

Status
Not open for further replies.