• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which team are you on?

• Double Team (1997)

• Team Walnut

• The A-Team

• Team "No One Can Stop Mr. Domino"

• Sports Team

• "I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel."

• Team Margarita

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Muhammad

Mar 6, 2018
3Dmark has a test suite that would give you the numbers. But I do not know what GPUs are already support VRS on AMD. Intel yes, Nvidia I guess yes.
Only Gen11 iGPUs from Intel support VRS, and only supports Tier1
All Turing GPUs from NVIDIA support both Tier 1 and Tier 2
No AMD GPU supports VRS at the moment

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Is there a video demonstrating no variable rate shading vs. variable rate shading 1 vs. variable rate shading 2?

www.resetera.com

VRS tier 2 offers up to 50% fps increase for negligible graphical trade-off.

Courtesy of resident expert dgrdsv. In combination with the flop efficiencies, the RPM, the conservative rasterizer, VRS the 10TF+ Navi in the new console might actually perform like a 20TF+ Polaris part in certain scenarios. That's not even including the RT/AI capabilities.

LordBlodgett

Jan 10, 2020
I know that, I am just giving him an example why memory bandwidth alone doesn't matter, what matters is the overall arch. Memory bandwidth is tailored to serve the needs of the arch and can't be directly compared across different GPU archs.
Yep, I gotcha now. I see that we were both arguing that you can't directly compare the different architectures. I gotta improve my reading comprehension. Haha

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
"Insiders"

ERj4YtPXUAAapEw

To be fair...at this time Myerson held the pocket books for Xbox. Xbox had just canceled projects. Just closed studios. Had no big exclusives rumored in development outside of Halo, Gears and Forza. Weren't putting 1st party games on Game Pass day 1. Weren't talking Xcloud. There were rumors swirling that Nadella was considering getting rid of Xbox.

Not coincidentally, Spencer refuted this Tweet only to get promoted a few months later. Obviously knew things nobody else did. Not coincedentally, Spencer admitted Nadella questioned keeping Xbox before changing course and tripling down on them. Things change. It doesn't make insiders wrong. They dont always get the most up to date information of the conversations of high level execs...and corporations move slow on those conversations.

If anything, that tweet shows how far the division has come in less than 3 years.

Oct 25, 2017
April 19:
www.resetera.com

Next-gen PS5 and next Xbox speculation launch thread - MY ANACONDA DON'T WANT NONE

Lockhart $299: CPU Zen 2 @ 3.2GHz GPU Navi 6 Teraflops RAM 12GB GDDR6 ROM 1TB SSD PS5 $499: CPU Zen 2 @ 3.2GHz GPU Navi 10 Teraflops RAM 16GB GDDR6 ROM 1TB NVMe SSD Anaconda $499: CPU Zen 2 @ 3.2GHz GPU Navi 12 Teraflops RAM 16GB GDDR6 ROM 1TB NVMe SSD
Lockhart $299:

CPU Zen 2 @ 3.2GHz
GPU Navi 6 Teraflops
RAM 12GB GDDR6
ROM 1TB SSD

Anaconda $499:

CPU Zen 2 @ 3.2GHz
GPU Navi 12 Teraflops
RAM 16GB GDDR6
ROM 1TB NVMe SSD

Oct 19:
www.resetera.com

Next-gen PS5 and next Xbox speculation launch thread |OT7| - nm

Great OP :) My prediction: Xbox Scarlett CPU: Zen 2 8C/16T @ 3.4GHz GPU: RDNA2 @ 1.5GHz~1.8GHz and 10.3TF~12TF RAM: 16GB GDDR6 @ 560GB/s SSD: 1TB NVMe @ 5GB/s $499
Xbox Scarlett

CPU:
Zen 2 8C/16T @ 3.4GHz
GPU: RDNA2 @ 1.5GHz~1.8GHz and 10.3TF~12TF
RAM: 16GB GDDR6 @ 560GB/s
SSD: 1TB NVMe @ 5GB/s

$499

Team RDNA2 won!
Holy shit what a beast :o

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He was Principal Engineer on PS5 and those words sound like somebody working on RDNA with curiosity about RDNA 2 improvements.
damn, you shouldve started with that. never heard of this guy.

this could also be taken a different way. maybe they saw AMD's rt solution and decided to go another way because of those limitations he talked about.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
He was Principal Engineer on PS5 and those words sound like somebody working on RDNA with curiosity about RDNA 2 improvements.

The comment sounds slightly facetious to me, rather than a serious inquiry.

PS5 is, necessarily, something different to first gen RDNA given its confirmed featureset. Whether that's 'RDNA2' or some custom revision in between or something else entirely, who knows.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
damn, you shouldve started with that. never heard of this guy.

this could also be taken a different way. maybe they saw AMD's rt solution and decided to go another way because of those limitations he talked about.

Yeah it reads to me like the PS5 can do all of that without RNDA2 and not that its weaker or whatever.

But its probably better to just not read too much into it.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
The comment sounds slightly facetious to me, rather than a serious inquiry.

Yeah, definitely sounds more like someone that actually knows the data and is being facetious.

To be more explicit: he is potentially laying out an issue he sees with VRS as it stands that Sony has already solved by virtue of their work with VR, and is asking rhetorically. I.e. he's flexing here.

He wouldn't have been able to bring it up apropos of nothing otherwise.

This.

Locuza

Mar 6, 2018

Actually without knowing the exact details that might still not be wrong or let's say the console "RDNA2" might have some differences when compared to the PC RDNA2 GPUs.
The marketing department has a lot of freedom in terms of what it calls the underlying technology, especially with words as "based on", "custom XYZ".
PS4 and Xbox One were officially based on GCN2 but they missed a few instructions compared to the PC GCN2.
For the PS4 Pro GPU is was a wild mix of several GCN generations, it was not Polaris/GCN4 technology as a uniform baseline with some extras.

Depending on the details the term RDNA1.7 might be more suitable or RDNA1.9 or maybe there is no meaningful difference at all and a distinction would make little sense, at least from a marketing perspective, then yeah, let's call it RDNA2.

So I think that only RDNA 2 architecture has RT in it and finally all the vestigial parts of GCN removed.
What is left of GCN in RDNA1 which would change for RDNA2?

You can't compare FLOPS between different GPU archs, NVIDIA deliver more performance per FLOPS than AMD.
No they are NOT.
The 2070 Super is a 9TF GPU that is 15% faster than 5700XT which is 9.7TF GPU, that is more than 10% difference.
Computerbase made a test comparing the 5700 against the 2070 with a locked clock speed of 1.5 Ghz, the same bandwidth and core number.
Across 15 games both were performing the same on average:
shader-coresaok94.jpg

https://www.computerbase.de/2019-07...4/#abschnitt_navi_vs_vega_vs_turing_vs_pascal

The 2070 Super has a boost clock rating of 1.89 Ghz, leading to 9.7TF.
In practise the FE version mostly hit that boost clock, in some cases it was lower:
https://www.computerbase.de/2019-07...er-test/2/#abschnitt_benchmarks_in_2560__1440

The 5700XT reference card used in practise often times slightly lower clock speeds than the 2070 Super FE:
https://www.computerbase.de/2019-07...hnitt_die_tatsaechlichen_taktraten_unter_last

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017
They'll both be rdna2

They'll both be 12+ tf

Now, who is eating crow today gentlmen? Best tasting crow we've ever served...

MonsterMech

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
It's just my own speculation, but I'm feeling 9-10TF for PS5

With all the information and marketing statements out there, this just feels like what we are heading to.

I know it's not super popular to say that in here, but that's my opinion.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Note that Sony didn't use their own feature for original TLOU, and Uncharted. Foregive me for not holding my breathe.
Gears of War Ultimate Edition wasn't free for Gears of War 360 owners, was it? Master Chief Collection wasn't free for Halo 2/3/4 owners, was it?

Companies change and are competitive with each other.

It's just my own speculation, but I'm feeling 9-10TF for PS5

With all the information and marketing statements out there, this just feels like what we are heading to.

I know it's not super popular to say that in here, but that's my opinion.

I think the only flack you'll get is that you're basing it on a feeling, and feelings don't really have any substance to them.

The only numbers data we have is the Github leak from a April 2019 chip, which goes against what every single insider has said/alluded to with current PS5 specs.

Status
Not open for further replies.