• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which team are you on?

• Double Team (1997)

• Team Walnut

• The A-Team

• Team "No One Can Stop Mr. Domino"

• Sports Team

• "I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel."

• Team Margarita

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Xbox plans E3 many months in advance so if the worst case scenario happens and E3 is cancelled then I think they'll shift all of their planned E3 stuff to a pre recorded show that simulates E3

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
They're at least still planning on live streaming their sessions which is nice. Note, it's the majority of the sessions and is seemingly not including the session from Turn10 about ray tracing in Forza Motorsport.

ERzJRD9XUAAoUO0

Yeah, nobody can fault these companies for making decisions at this point given the overall situation and likely input from employees and such too. But I am glad that they didn't just skip out without providing a backup plan that will actually allow most of us who couldn't have gone anyway an option to check out what could be some pretty interesting things.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I can't see Sony hosting an event with journalists in attendance anymore. I think they are more likely to follow the Sony Mobile division's Xperia announcement which was pre-recorded.

Will E3 conferences even happen?

Microsoft wouldn't flat out cancel their event it's too important and they spend way too much time doing it, they might just pre record it and not have an audience

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
I think more is understood of just how communicable this disease is. People are comparing it to the Spanish flu. Moderate mortality rates (2%), but the communicability is the issue.

It's not more understood in a few days .
It just more and more cases pop up all over the place which was very possible because there up 2 week wait before you know.
People that saying Sony was weak or hiding stuff etc etc just did not care about all aspect of it.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Do they still do Inside Xbox? I can see them doing one of those.

Yes but the format kind of sucks, so I don't think they Would use that. Honestly I could see it being exactly the same as a normal E3 conference, and instead of planning to a filled crowd and showing the game off to the arena it's more direct style

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft wouldn't flat out cancel their event it's too important and they spend way too much time doing it, they might just pre record it and not have an audience

I don't expect timing of announcements to be altered but the format is definitely subject to change. If we see an outbreak in the US with new cases into late April/May, I would expect the ESA to consider cancelling E3 this year and any of the press conferences that were planned to be moved to a streamed presentation.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I don't expect timing of announcements to be altered but the format is definitely subject to change. If we see an outbreak in the US with new cases into late April/May, I would expect the ESA to consider cancelling E3 this year and any of the press conferences that were planned to be moved to a streamed presentation.

Yep, I think this is the most likely case if it gets worse

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I can see that.

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
The XsX doesn't use protection?
Protection doesn't help against 12TF, once they FLOP, you better watch out.

Even 1800MHz is over 12TF.
Correct, but I wanted to set the thread on fire with the 13.8TF figure :D
Where is Spinning Kick?

Lets have some tech discussion:

3SE - 54CU (18CU per SE) vs 2SE - 56 CU (28CU per SE)

roughly same CU - how does 2 vs 3 SE affect efficiency, performance, etc
At higher clocks and 50% more SEs, some metrics will go into insane territory. For example pixel fillrate will spike to 192GP/s VS the XSX's 108GP/s (based on 1.7Ghz XSX). Even at 1.8Ghz the PS5 will have 172.8GP/s if it has 3 SEs. It will probably mean 2 more SA, which means more L1 cache which means better RT performance (even though L0 is far more important than L1 for RT).
I thought it was known in at least smaller circles as the SexBox:Bone Series Triple X
I thought that was the mid-gen refresh.

Kreten

Banned
Nov 16, 2019
relative-performance_3840-2160.png

Also testing @1500MHz is wrong and is not relevant, you test at iso clocks, different archs respond differently to clock increases, the site should have tested @1700MHz or even higher for both GPUs, since they are both capable of running at that speed.
1500MHz is quite common, besides did you actually look at detailed info from the graph you are providing? Take a look at actual MHz of the cards. Besides Nvidia boost clock is same thing as AMD game clock, so when you do your comparisons account for clock differences.

Afterall you are just trying to prove that TF for TF performance is better so focus on same TF scenarios not marketing Bs.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
If the PS5 is delayed, Xbox Series X will also be delayed. If the coronavirus halts production, it will affect both systems equally.

There are a thousand degrees of difference between the virus halting production of the consoles all summer/fall and the virus driving up the cost of components due to earlier gaps in production, though.

At this point, a delay is less likely to be because producing the consoles is impossible this year and more likely to be a strategic decision to keep costs down, and each vendor may make different strategic decisions.

Most of the models at this point don't have all of China being offline all year. The market still expects Apple to be able to release a new iPhone this fall, for example.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's safe to say that the PS5 reveal will likely be a special pre-recorded State of Play. Wouldn't matter much anyway, because most people watch it on the internet as is. Then all they have to do is have PS5's scattered across the globe that journalists can play and put their impressions on so they don't have to travel and risk getting the virus.

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020
I think it's safe to say that the PS5 reveal will likely be a special pre-recorded State of Play. Wouldn't matter much anyway, because most people watch it on the internet as is. Then all they have to do is have PS5's scattered across the globe that journalists can play and put their impressions on so they don't have to travel and risk getting the virus.

Quite possible, but the logistics of getting PS5s across the globe in sufficient quantities, to sufficient locations all without leaking would be a feat in itself.

ASilentProtagonist

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, they aren't doing a conference anymore if they were planning to do one in the first place. I don't think next gen consoles will get full on delayed (maybe in some regions), but there will be more shortages. Some games could receive delays as well.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Even Facebook cancelled F8 that's meant to be a May event.
I doubt there'll be any major F2F conference anytime soon. E3 could potentially be under threat too.

ppn7

May 4, 2019
I really want to know how good will be the RT and Machine Learning on console.

DLSS from nvidia seems in the good move. It get more better with 2.0 and will be easily avaible on new games.

Not sure if AMD/MS/Sony will provide something equivalent or better than DLSS 2.0.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
Kill E3 with one blow. Everyone does streamed direct like presentations this year because of corona but then decide to stick with it in the future.

I could see this happening and I hope it doesn't. A prerecorded presentation is nothing compared to the experience of a live conference.

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017

DLSS from nvidia seems in the good move. It get more better with 2.0 and will be easily avaible on new games.

Not sure if AMD/MS/Sony will provide something equivalent or better than DLSS 2.0.
something equivalent to DLSS 2.0 is a must imo.

Its literally a free 30% ~ 40% performance !! Without any training per game anymore.

Good article about dlss2.0:

https://www.techspot.com/amp/article/1992-nvidia-dlss-2020/

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
www.hollywoodreporter.com

Global Game Conventions Scale Back Amid Coronavirus Concerns

As reported cases of the COVID-19, or coronavirus, outbreak continues to spread across the globe, more and more markets and events are taking precautions against the pandemic, including numerous ma…

"Daniel Ahmad, senior analyst at Niko Partners, expects the virus to have an impact on the manufacturing of video game hardware across the first half of 2020, as nearly 90 percent of all consoles imported into the U.S. are made in China.

"If the coronavirus outbreak is contained within the next month or two then we would expect console manufacturers to be able to meet demand for the holiday quarter, both for current-gen consoles and next-gen console launches," says Ahmad. "If manufacturers are unable to operate at full capacity before the end of Q2 2020, we could see an impact on next-gen console launches, with either limited supply or delayed releases becoming the likely outcomes."

cc ZhugeEX 😉

This also:
www.theverge.com

Facebook cancels F8 developer conference due to coronavirus concerns

Facebook will hold online videos and live-streams instead

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
III-V DrKeo Apparently Komachi just made a mistake and thought Oberon was Ariel. Oberon is 13F9, not Ariel.

Yes, I see that was later in the same day I think. Good find!

I think that cpu id is for Oberon or both Ariel and Oberon (or more accurately, whatever the APU is called) but AFAIK 13F9 is not reflected in it. 0x840f40= Family 17h, Model 44h (4), Revision E0
In github leak, 0x840f10 is also mentioned for Oberon which would be.. Family 17h, Model 14h (4), Revision B0

KOHIPEET

Oct 29, 2017

A potent DLSS equivalent could vastly increase the visual capacity of these closed systems. It has become my second most wanted feature for next-gen consoles. (but IMO we won't get anything similar to it)

Garjon

Oct 27, 2017
I've said it before but the reason these companies are taking every precaution is not because of the mortality rate, it's that they don't want to have to close entire departments for quarantine reasons. All it takes is one person to carry the infection to infect everyone in a studio within hours.

ppn7

May 4, 2019
something equivalent to DLSS 2.0 is a must imo.

Its literally a free 30% ~ 40% performance !! Without any training per game anymore.

Good article about dlss2.0:

https://www.techspot.com/amp/article/1992-nvidia-dlss-2020/
I just read the article yesterday. It could be amazing if it's true about the fact that DLSS 2.0 could be easily implemented by devs in new games.

A potent DLSS equivalent could vastly increase the visual capacity of these closed systems. It has become my second most wanted feature for next-gen consoles. (but IMO we won't get anything similar to it)

Can we compare DLSS with AI uspcale avaible in some high end TV like LG C9 ? Can We use both of them in same time ?

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
GDC is toasted, if this virus won't wind down in summer, E3 might be cancelled as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.