• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which team are you on?

• Double Team (1997)

• Team Walnut

• The A-Team

• Team "No One Can Stop Mr. Domino"

• Sports Team

• "I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel."

• Team Margarita

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 23, 2019
What would convince you to get a XSX?

They would basically have to outclass Sony in a way that it would convince me to completely drop the ecosystem I'm in and go to theirs. Hardware on point, exclusives I want, etc.

There's a constant trickle of posts like this.
You are literally one of Microsoft's target customers.
They don't care if you buy an xsx. They care if you have Gamepass. It's not some secret loophole you found 😊.

Never said that I was trying to find some loophole? What a strangely defensive post for no reason.

This is the correct answer if you have the funds. New gpus coming out will leave the new consoles well behind power wise, but again it'll cost a decent amount of money (worth it)

Well I built my PC back in 2011-2012 so after years of service, I might have to put the old girl down and build a brand new PC since the mobo and CPU are obsolete now. Gonna take some moolah.

Oct 25, 2017
True but I think PS exclusives are eventually launching day one on PSNOW and PC, so honestly consoles won't be necessary eventually

That's not happening unless Gamepass really takes off and fundamentally changes how console players want to buy games. Assuming Horizon to PC is legit, we're at best seeing Sony say "hey lets put our three plus year old game on the Epic Games store".

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly don't see that happening day one since their exclusives sell gangbusters.
Yeah, it's almost like how Nintendo don't drop the price on their games quick like most other publishers.

Some ppl need to realize what MS has done and is doing is almost a necessity right now, for them. I imagine Nintendo thinks the same way Sony does. Until they feel they have to, they won't.

OP
OP
Transistor

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
They could pull a rockstar, just imagine the sweet sweet double dipping cash.

bonus if they make their own launcher and get all the moneys
They could. But I see their future going like this:

1) PS exclusive for 1-2
2) Added to PS Now after 1-2 years
3) PC release after 3+ years (if the Horizon thing turns out to be true)

That could be double dip cash plus get some sub money along the way

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
They could. But I see their future going like this:

1) PS exclusive for 1-2
2) Added to PS Now after 1-2 years
3) PC release after 3+ years (if the Horizon thing turns out to be true)

That could be double dip cash plus get some sub money along the way
That may work for SP games, but I'm curious what their strategy is if they have any major MP aspirations.

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
This is honestly the biggest thing that worries me about how the PS5 is doing PS4 BC. At some point in time the Sony hardware team is going to decide to cut off support for the PS4 because so many modes and hardware tests will be difficult for them. At this point its just a question of whether or not it happens with the PS5 Pro (which lets be honest, will happen at some point this gen) or with the PS6. Either way, their shortsighted method of BC is worrying to me and making me doubt whether jumping into the ecosystem is a good idea
I don't think Sony will ever drop the PS4 BC support, at some point they will transition to VM emulation, like MS, but it will be a more painful transition. If they will do it on PS6, I'm assuming ~x50 more powerful GPU and ~x25 more powerful CPU while both are x86 will make Sony comfortable enough to emulate it via VM. But yeah, it's going to be painful, a lot of QA and such. That's why I'm hoping Sony is building a higher level of abstraction to its PS5 API. The only thing worse than having to move your whole PS4 BC solution from hardware to VM will be to move your whole PS4 BC and PS5 BC (+ two Pro models) to VM.
And haven't you said in past that 2 GHZ could be the sweet spot for the node upgrade to N7P or 7nm+ ?
Could be, we are getting a 5000 series refresh this year so who knows. 2Ghz probably means one of two things, either it's an easy enough clock to hit on their budget (money, TDP, and cooling) or Sony had some reason to try and squeeze some more performance from their chip when it was too late to change the silicon itself.

angel_deamon

attempted ban circumvention by using an alt
Banned
Jan 8, 2018
This is honestly the biggest thing that worries me about how the PS5 is doing PS4 BC. At some point in time the Sony hardware team is going to decide to cut off support for the PS4 because so many modes and hardware tests will be difficult for them. At this point its just a question of whether or not it happens with the PS5 Pro (which lets be honest, will happen at some point this gen) or with the PS6. Either way, their shortsighted method of BC is worrying to me and making me doubt whether jumping into the ecosystem is a good idea

I agree. I would like to know how Sony is implementing BC. If the github leak is real, then they don't have a software solution like Hypervisor, they are still doing that in the hardware

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
More games, Lockhart, price details, xCloud, next evolution of Game Pass, etc. I expect the initial event (before E3) to focus on new hardware/ecosystem features, show a couple games, and perhaps confirm Lockhart exists without giving details. That would leave a lot for E3.
Get rid of the technical talk before e3. E3 should mainly be about games.

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
That's not happening unless Gamepass really takes off and fundamentally changes how console players want to buy games. Assuming Horizon to PC is legit, we're at best seeing Sony say "hey lets put our three plus year old game on the Epic Games store".

I think it's clear enough that Horizon represents a toe in the water, but what it leads to is far from certain. It could well be a matter of bringing a game to PC shortly before the sequel makes an appearance on PS5. That's tempting me with Ori at the moment, after playing Blind Forest on Switch I'm tempted to pick up Will of the Wisps on a future Xbox. I'm certainly not counting on the sequel arriving day-and-date on the Switch just because the first game eventually made it over.

The historical business model has been to use exclusives to draw people to your platform, where you make revenue off every game sold rather than just those you publish. Selling your titles on PC is less lucrative because you don't get a piece of all the third party titles people play when they're not playing your games. Subscription models are an obvious attempt to change the model with something disruptive, but it's not clear whether they make for a sustainable alternative that results in funding the kinds of games I want to play.

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
I agree. I would like to know how Sony is implementing BC. If the github leak is real, then they don't have a software solution like Hypervisor, they are still doing that in the hardware
Github leak and the Mark Cerny patent for hardware-level CPU emulation of BC machines. There is a very low chance Sony isn't doing a hardware level BC considering the PS4 Pro, Cerny's patent and all the leaks.

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
Sony has to be loving the 9.2TF rumors. It's almost a viral under promise. Now they just have to over deliver on the actual hardware and the gaming community will go nuts.

Oct 25, 2017
That may work for SP games, but I'm curious what their strategy is if they have any major MP aspirations.

That new Predator game is coming to PC right? It's easy to forget because so many of Sony's first party are single player focused; but MLB as another example is going multi-platform day and date. They obviously view those types of games differently.

I definitely agree with Horizon being a test and they may not wait 3 years each time but they're going to make sure it's long enough that their target audience won't want to wait and will stick with consoles, especially mid-gen when PC will be looking more desirable, why the PS4 pro exists.

Masyer89

Dec 9, 2019
you just proved my point you truly have a bias for Xbox. I didn't say the ps5 will be more powerful or the Xbox weaker. I was giving an example of what conclusion you can reach base on your bias. You seem so sure of yourself from very vague comments from Sony, but i'm the delusional one. Lol
Its about what sony want and more info i look at all info just just surface and if I have all systems and give all of them money how am i bias. I main my xbox one x but love my ps4 for exclusive content. I can see what they did in gaming with 1.8tf and believe sony didnt think they would need more than what the apu stepping is showing. Sony devs are incredible.

Masyer89

Dec 9, 2019
They would basically have to outclass Sony in a way that it would convince me to completely drop the ecosystem I'm in and go to theirs. Hardware on point, exclusives I want, etc.

Never said that I was trying to find some loophole? What a strangely defensive post for no reason.

Well I built my PC back in 2011-2012 so after years of service, I might have to put the old girl down and build a brand new PC since the mobo and CPU are obsolete now. Gonna take some moolah.
Your the type of gamer that Microsoft has alot to prove I think they are on the right track but gotta see the other games devs got show theier work. But in all honesty if they do that i dont think you have to leave your current ecosystem i have all the systems and enjoy them gamers shouldnt limit themselves.

Oct 25, 2017
Sony has to be loving the 9.2TF rumors. It's almost a viral under promise. Now they just have to over deliver on the actual hardware and the gaming community will go nuts.

I still wouldn't get your hopes up. $400 is the desired price point. With that pretty legit rumor that the manufacture costs being inflated up around $450 due to component restrictions it seems like $400 was the goal for PS5. I'm not an expert but not sure how PS5 can match 12Tf with the goal still being $400.

Outside of people like us, enthusiasts on a message board. Less powerful but still very impressive looking games and $100 cheaper is going to win every single time. I can only think Microsoft is launching at $500 if they have a Series S at $350 or something, they seem over concerned with power ever since the XBO launch debacle but that was more because they were less powerful and more expensive.

Chris Metal

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Back to 9.2 again eh...
Vjyinsw.gif

Brees2Thomas

Dec 27, 2019
Was thinking this this morning. What if they actually have 13 TF's under the hood? Seeing MS gloat over 12, Sony would feel like a Texas Holdem player limping in with 7-8 off-suit and hitting a straight on the flop. Just sitting and waiting to pounce could be the best and coolest move at that point.

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
maxresdefault.jpg

It's 13TF, Austin. It's 13tf Austin, it was 13tf all along.

PS5 was the higher power all along. 😏

My March 4th bet feeling pretty good right now. Although a full reveal feels unlikely. There's also other days in the week. But those are obviously wrong.

Kiekura

Mar 23, 2018
Holy hell If E3 gets cancelled too. Doesn't matter for Sony and Nintendo really, but dam :(

I seriously hope Sony drops specs soon. Then we can stop these hilarious speculations

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
but its unlikely to be significantly cheaper to make than the xsx, unless it also has less ram, smaller ssd ect. the truth is it doesnt cost ms much more to make the better chip.

Based on the XSX/XSS projected specs, I feel like the GPU/RAM scales such that you would be saving on RAM. And I was hearing something like $6-8/GB somewhere (just someone spit-balling based on what consumers pay), so if you're able to cut 3GB of RAM that's ~$20 right there.

But I think the real answer is that the cost savings diminishes over time. So you can't really say "$50/unit x 100m units over the lifetime" because in the seventh year the difference is probably closer to $20 or whatever (because a 30% savings at $100 is $30, but down the road when the part is $50 you're only saving $15).

Still, it's a billion-dollar issue no matter what

Jun 23, 2019
Your the type of gamer that Microsoft has alot to prove I think they are on the right track but gotta see the other games devs got show theier work. But in all honesty if they do that i dont think you have to leave your current ecosystem i have all the systems and enjoy them gamers shouldnt limit themselves.

It's not money issues, it's moreso lack of time. I have my PS4 Pro, Switch, PC, and X360 for older fighting games, but GamePass would allow me to enjoy the new exclusives from MS that doesn't require me to spend more money than I was already budgeting.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
YO
I juuuuuust thought of something

No, really, I got nothing. SONY please have marcy.

ImaginaShawn

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is really starting to turn into the reverse of 2013. MS announces specs first in Feb. While Sony waits until April? May? to release info. If Sony starts talking about TV in their conference I'm going to buy a large net to capture flying pigs.

Snornex

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
You remember what was said exactly?
Here's the timestamp:
youtube.com

Giant Bombcast 622: The Squattery Wheel

We're joined by the superhuman Matthew Rorie to discuss the trials and tribulations of Wolcen, Pokemon Home, E3 2020, PlayStation 5 pricing, the StarCraft Gh...

Another user here said that Matt often asks random questions like that, so it could mean nothing. I rarely watch Giant Bomb's content so I can't fairly judge for myself, but given the context of the conversation and the other guy's ohshitnothingsbeenannouncedyet reaction, it does seem a bit suspicious to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.