• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which team are you on?

• Double Team (1997)

• Team Walnut

• The A-Team

• Team "No One Can Stop Mr. Domino"

• Sports Team

• "I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel."

• Team Margarita

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
Transistor

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Hope you guys get your reveal soon. I am off on vacation now for three weeks and wont be especially active but I hope Transistor will keep up the good work and keep this thread fun, clean and full of sacrifices over the next couple of weeks if I can stay away.

Before I go however I managed to get some footage of the night of Tonky... The subtitles unfortunately wont make it but I think you would not need them anyway.

Remember to have fun everyone =)

giphy.gif
Bravo good sir. Bravo.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Hope you guys get your reveal soon. I am off on vacation now for three weeks and wont be especially active but I hope Transistor will keep up the good work and keep this thread fun, clean and full of sacrifices over the next couple of weeks if I can stay away.

Before I go however I managed to get some footage of the night of Tonky... The subtitles unfortunately wont make it but I think you would not need them anyway.

giphy.gif

Buahahaha.
Excellent.
Watch we don't get any info until March.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017

giphy.gif
Lmao!!

I am dying on Phil Spencer n Jim Ryan's faces.

SilentFlyer

Oct 26, 2017

giphy.gif

Haha ... This is gold. Thank you for the sacrifice Tonky.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts

giphy.gif
can't stop watching this.

Brees2Thomas

Dec 27, 2019

giphy.gif
Fantastic!

III-V

Oct 25, 2017

giphy.gif
Haha we need those subtitles and there are still 2 purple faces. This is amazing BW, I have watched maybe 50 times already 😂

Dec 8, 2018
Haha we need those subtitles and there are still 2 purple faces. This is amazing BW, I have watched maybe 50 times already 😂

Yeah like I said unfortunately I am leaving tomorrow and won't bring my computer so cant add it.

And the purple spots are on purpose you know like how executioners are unrecognizable wearing hoods these guys don't have an avatar.

Maybe a bit deep but could not figure out any better faces 😥

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017

giphy.gif
Best thing I've seen today

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah like I said unfortunately I am leaving tomorrow and won't bring my computer so cant add it.

And the purple spots are on purpose you know like how executioners are unrecognizable wearing hoods these guys don't have an avatar.

Maybe a bit deep but could not figure out any better faces 😥
Well have a great trip. That really made my night!

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't there something with all the Sony bigwigs flying into San Fran a month or so ago? What was the deal with that?

Could they have been filming a State of Play reveal?

Jan 21, 2019
One thing that popped into my mind right now, which is a reason I will stick with Sony next gen. Their first party studios are in the unique position of having only the PS5 to worry about. This means that no matter the ray tracing capabilities, they can completely focus on this one platform and they don't need to create two lighting solutions for non RT and RT hardware. Even third parties who will go next gen exclusive quickly will still need to make PC versions without RT (and SSDs) for the next year or so. I can't wait to see what kinds of improvements to RT software approaches they bring to the table by just focusing on that alone. Control is already impressive as it pushes a lot of RT with largely the same drop in performance as others have for one RT solution or effect. It can only go up from here.

Feb 10, 2018
One thing that popped into my mind right now, which is a reason I will stick with Sony next gen. Their first party studios are in the unique position of having only the PS5 to worry about. This means that no matter the ray tracing capabilities, they can completely focus on this one platform and they don't need to create two lighting solutions for non RT and RT hardware. Even third parties who will go next gen exclusive quickly will still need to make PC versions without RT (and SSDs) for the next year or so. I can't wait to see what kinds of improvements to RT software approaches they bring to the table by just focusing on that alone. Control is already impressive as it pushes a lot of RT with largely the same drop in performance as others have for one RT solution or effect. It can only go up from here.
So your going to let visuals dictate your purchasing decision?

Just because a game looks incredible does not mean the game will be good.

BOTW was better then any launch ps4/x1 game despite being on far weaker hardware.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America

giphy.gif

Oh.My.God! That ending cut was just *chef's kiss* perfect!

Kreten

Banned
Nov 16, 2019
CFexpress is rumored because of the dimensions of the slot here on the pre-production Xbox Series X. That doesn't look like something you described above but fits the form factor of CFexpress! Even if packaged what you described is not a fit here. Too wide.

0_Screen-Shot-2020-01-23-at-091637.jpg
To me 0.2mm x1.2mm, thickness, width, clearance between Cfexpress and the slot on xbox doesn't seem like a good fit. If you take M.2 dimensions compared to slot dimensions on xbox it aligns more like for instance SD cards compared to its slot. SDHC is 2.1mm thick and slot 2.54mm, card is 21mm wide and slot is 30mm wide. NVME, according to the standard, can be 1.2 to 3.65mm thick, 22 to 30 wide(most common 22), and 30 to 110 long for storage applications.

I just fail to see why they would go with extra high price option when they could just do straight M.2 NVME with no cost difference to them. If expansion solution is too expensive to the end user they would see less value out of it compared to if the solution is cheaper to consumer.

I was picturing Expresscard SSD in my mind when I said about the slot in laptops. This one is older and slower, but usage along the same lines.

Aug 26, 2019

BOTW was better then any launch ps4/x1 game despite being on far weaker hardware.
Agreed. Halo Infinite has the potential to be the best launch game even though it's design will be constrained by a TI-.....Jaguar CPU (which both PS4 and Xbox One have!).

PS: Rumpestump that's hilarious.The hype gifs once things get moving are going to be 🔥

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada

giphy.gif

Damn this is amazing.

Look honey, all that time spent reading this thread paid off!

But you're comparing a end of generation game to launch games?

BotW was a Wii U game only, in my heart. Now and forever.

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020
It took years after the launch of the consoles before releases started looking "breathtaking". PS4 launched in 2013 and HZD launched in 2017. These people who think that games will be ready day 1 to take control of all the features are ignorant of how generations work imo

Jan 21, 2019

No, I let the software make the decision and at this point it looks like the only real next gen games will come from Sony.

It took years after the launch of the consoles before releases started looking "breathtaking". PS4 launched in 2013 and HZD launched in 2017. These people who think that games will be ready day 1 to take control of all the features are ignorant of how generations work imo

Killzone Shadowfall and infamous Second Son were released early and looked insane and they still hold up, same goes for Ryse Son of Rome for Xbox.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2019
Are you ignorant of the fact that series x exclusives come after 2021 intentionally or unintentionally? Xbox one range is being sunsetted after 2021
The caveat being that the Series X games will still be on PC where as PS5 exclusives will be designed for one set of specs only. Although if the PC minimum requirements are raised, it shouldn't be too big of an issue.

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020
The caveat being that the Series X games will still be on PC where as PS5 exclusives will be designed for one set of specs only. Although if the PC minimum requirements are raised, it shouldn't be too big of an issue.
Well yeah the same could be said of third parties like rockstar and Ubisoft aswell. It will be interesting to see how third parties handle the HDD/SSD on PCs when it's the standard specs of consoles

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This time the transition is between the same CPU instruction set and SoC manufacturer, so software will migrate faster too. Sure that 2025 games will look better than 2021 but we could be surprised with the launch line-up and first quarterly releases.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
Of course that real world performance matters, but real world performance is not the same across multiple game engines or different softwares. If real world performance was so solid then they should just run one benchmark and call it a day. Instead they run multiple games in GPUs to compare average performance, sometimes GPUs flip flopping positions in different games.

Sure, which only highlights how bullshit TF numbers are. Different games have different performance profiles, but GPUs tested on multiple games can provide a clear indication of the the relative performance versus competing GPUs.

The whole point of this discussion is to make the point that real-world performance of GPUs can and is measured. It isn't some mystical, ephemeral thing or "moving target". It's pretty consistent and a number of different tests across different games and synthetic benchmarks can provide a good indication of average overall performance relative to other GPUs.

Hence, MS's "2x", "8x" and "4x" multipliers can just as easily be characterising exactly this; i.e. real-world relative performance metrics measured by MS themselves.

As I said previously, based on testing done of Vega and Navi, we still don't know which will perform better in next game that comes out.

What does this have to do with anything?

As for 2x as I said if you believe they meant 2x performance then you have to account RT as well and how X1X would perform running RT game and multiply that by 2. In essence if they really meant 2x performance then XSX will be 6-7TF RDNA with RT included.

No you don't, because any testing they would have done would be with existing current gen games that don't include RT. Why? Because you can't compare the performance of a next-gen console with a current-gen console by running a game that isn't even able to run on current gen.

I can just as easily see MS running Gears 5 on XSX at twice the framerate and using that to infer "2x the power of XSX". It's PR, so it needs not be any more rigorous that this.

Aug 26, 2019
Some of the best looking games of the generation came in the first two years. Ryse, The Order, etc. In addition to that, some of the most impressive games were even cross-gen (i.e. MGSV).

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I understand people disappointed that MS will continue making games for the XB1/X for a couple years, but I'm personally super happy. It means I can just use my One X for MS-exclusive games, and buy the PS5 for everything else. And then, when MS stops supporting the One X, if I like the MS first-party output, I can then buy the Series X.

Jan 21, 2019
This time the transition is between the same CPU instruction set and SoC manufacturer, so software will migrate faster too. Sure that 2025 games will look better than 2021 but we could be surprised with the launch line-up and first quarterly releases.

All of this. The transition will be faster and engine iteration quicker. But obviously those who have to work for one platform has the benefit of being able to cut all the fat off and start optimizing for new systems.

I am not saying anything negative about XBOX, the series X is awesome and I am thinking of getting one down the line coupled with gamepass, but as for the launch, I am way more interested in early PS5 exclusives rather than games that have to hit multiple avenues. Obviously it will take years to take full advantage, but the early jump should be bigger than the last jump for obvious reasons.

I understand people disappointed that MS will continue making games for the XB1/X for a couple years, but I'm personally super happy. It means I can just use my One X for MS-exclusive games, and buy the PS5 for everything else. And then, when MS stops supporting the One X, if I like the MS first-party output, I can then buy the Series X.

Yeah, I think that their approach is brilliant for what their are trying to build with the Xbox brand. It's the most logical step and it will make many people happy. I'm glad all the big 3 are doing something unique. For me personally, I prefer Sony's approach. That's it.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
I wonder what Keighley bowing out of E3 means for the reveals of the two consoles and their games. I originally thought maybe they would both reveal the launch lineup, console, etc without holding an event, but this leads me to believe the opposite. I think Keighley probably knows what Valve, N, MS, and Sony are up to given his longstanding relationship with all of them. My conclusion is that maybe he knows that those events will be bigger than their E3 counterparts. It's weird because nothing is quite as big as old E3 because each game and update is done by their own devs/pubs and is about an hour long. It feels like there's a lot of news because people are following games more religiously, but there's less news.

Feb 10, 2018
No, I let the software make the decision and at this point it looks like the only real next gen games will come from Sony.

Killzone Shadowfall and infamous Second Son were released early and looked insane and they still hold up, same goes for Ryse Son of Rome for Xbox.

Oh, the post I quoted only refers to visuals.
I think it will really depends how much work xbox game studios do for the XsX versions,
Slipstream was designed to work on x1 but also take advantage of XsX, if XGS can get the visuals very close to first year ps5 exclusives I don't think the visuals will be a big deal. However if XGS just make the XsX version higher res and fps it will be a small or bigger problem for xbox, depending on how good the games are.
I think people will be surprised how quickly the initial graphics wow will fade, it will always come down to gameplay. It's been the case since the first games and it will continue to be the way things are.

halfjoey

Nov 26, 2017
My garbage take: Even though dev kits rarely look like the final console, and I don't care for its design as a piece of living room hardware, I think the final PS5 design will share some design cues with the PS5 dev kit design. Specifically the "V" shape being a Roman numeral for "5"

Jan 21, 2019
Oh, the post I quoted only refers to visuals.
I think it will really depends how much work xbox game studios do for the XsX versions,
Slipstream was designed to work on x1 but also take advantage of XsX, if XGS can get the visuals very close to first year ps5 exclusives I don't think the visuals will be a big deal. However if XGS just make the XsX version higher res and fps it will be a small or bigger problem for xbox, depending on how good the games are.
I think people will be surprised how quickly the initial graphics wow will fade, it will always come down to gameplay. It's been the case since the first games and it will continue to be the way things are.
I agree, the wow factor is nice but the graphics difference will be something for fanboys to wage war over. I also expect XGS to do a wonderful job of scaling the games up and down. Concerning gameplay, I imagine Sony having the edge since IN THEORY they can get to work on gameplay that takes the Ryzen Cores and SSD into account more aggressively compared to XGS. But this assumes that they is a new IP on the Horizon which I can't see. Who knows, maybe Horizon 2 will do some crazy stuff.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
All of this. The transition will be faster and engine iteration quicker. But obviously those who have to work for one platform has the benefit of being able to cut all the fat off and start optimizing for new systems.

I am not saying anything negative about XBOX, the series X is awesome and I am thinking of getting one down the line coupled with gamepass, but as for the launch, I am way more interested in early PS5 exclusives rather than games that have to hit multiple avenues. Obviously it will take years to take full advantage, but the early jump should be bigger than the last jump for obvious reasons.

Yeah, I think that their approach is brilliant for what their are trying to build with the Xbox brand. It's the most logical step and it will make many people happy. I'm glad all the big 3 are doing something unique. For me personally, I prefer Sony's approach. That's it.

I would consider saying the only actual next-gen games are from Sony's first party to be a negative towards Xbox, even if the intent wasn't malicious. We have no idea of the lengths that developers will go to to differentiate between versions. I agree that it'll never be as easy (or freeing) as working on a single spec but I'm going to wait and see the games for myself. Otherwise I'm just creating a scenario where no matter how great the games look the sentiment is, "But how much better could it have looked" even if the answer is "Not much if any".

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Slightly OT, but Karpyshyn just joined Archetype with Ohlen already there as creative director. I hope their project is day 1 on next gen.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.