• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which team are you on?

• Double Team (1997)

• Team Walnut

• The A-Team

• Team "No One Can Stop Mr. Domino"

• Sports Team

• "I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel."

• Team Margarita

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 10, 2018
I agree, the wow factor is nice but the graphics difference will be something for fanboys to wage war over. I also expect XGS to do a wonderful job of scaling the games up and down. Concerning gameplay, I imagine Sony having the edge since IN THEORY they can get to work on gameplay that takes the Ryzen Cores and SSD into account more aggressively compared to XGS. But this assumes that they is a new IP on the Horizon which I can't see. Who knows, maybe Horizon 2 will do some crazy stuff.

I don't know, just because devs have access to the zen cores, more ram, ssd etc does not automatically mean they will innovate gameplay beyond what this gen has done. I hope they do otherwise it will be a dispointing gen.
At this point it's impossible to make educated speculation how launch games will fair.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know, just because devs have access to the zen cores, more ram, ssd etc does not automatically mean they will innovate gameplay beyond what this gen has done. I hope they do otherwise it will be a dispointing gen.
At this point it's impossible to make educated speculation how launch games will fair.

I agree. If I see launch PS5 games doing things that innovate due to the hardware (and see a lack of similar ambition on XSX) I'll be the first in line to sing praises. Just no way of knowing that yet. And for the record I'm only getting a PS5 so I'd be delighted if they make that hardware sing in currently unimaginable ways.

Jan 21, 2019
I agree, I'm just saying the possibility is higher since they aren't making versions for other platforms.

On another note, what is the next big event we are waiting for. Dice or GDC?

And what is the general consensus on reveal date.

Dec 14, 2019
Hope you guys get your reveal soon. I am off on vacation now for three weeks and wont be especially active but I hope Transistor will keep up the good work and keep this thread fun, clean and full of sacrifices over the next couple of weeks if I can stay away.

Before I go however I managed to get some footage of the night of Tonky... The subtitles unfortunately wont make it but I think you would not need them anyway.

Remember to have fun everyone =)

giphy.gif
Hahahaha, oh my god I'm dying! Amazing!!!!

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
Are these the hair and fur systems we can expect to see real time/in-game/in-engine? If so, I might lose my mind. This is insane! https://www.fxguide.com/fxfeatured/ue4-real-time-hair-advances/

"but as a guide, one could expect a 30fps or higher framerate with a 2080Ti for a human groom (40K + strands) at 1080p. "

no

and to give you an idea of why... even if they reduce performance by 95%, they'd still be dedicating 25% of the power budget for one persons hair

what you'll likely see is AI inference for hair or a compute TressFX like solution which should get somewhat close to realistic under certain situations with relatively decent costs.

El_Chino

Oct 25, 2017
So with February seemingly not the month the event will happen, I'm starting to doubt everything Klee has said.

Feb 10, 2018
Are these the next-gen hair and fur systems we can expect to see real time/in-game/in-engine? If so, I might lose my mind. This is insane!

https://www.fxguide.com/fxfeatured/ue4-real-time-hair-advances/

hairnormal.jpg

feathes.jpg

My god I'm gonna spend hours just moving the Chracter about watching that hair move, something about the way it moves is so mesmerising, it has a real weight to it.
I think we will see hair this good next gen, the guy said it had good performance so it doesn't sound to expensive for the render budget.

Feb 10, 2018
Should I sell my base systems now? Been meaning to get rid of my PS4 for a while now. I want to be ready to preorder the next-gen systems ASAP.

I'm might sell my pro and 1x, I might wait until before E3 or unveil events, because they are only going to decrease in value, the 1x will probably hold its value a bit better because of cross gen from MS.
The only problem is I will be stuck with my OG Xbox one until launch, I guess its not to bad it gives me a reason to play the switch.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
We're seeing a trend of "Pro" category devices being shipped day and date with base SKUs from the likes of Apple and Samsung in the smartphone space and if Lockhart is truly a thing then Microsoft too with their consoles. It'd almost seem strange for Sony to only offer one SKU at launch.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
So with February seemingly not the month the event will happen, I'm starting to doubt everything Klee has said.
Feel free to believe whatever you wish, but with the coronavirus outbreak there are at least legitimate reasons to not schedule a press conference people from all over the world would need to attend right now - even if that was a rock solid plan a few months ago.

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020
I agree, I'm just saying the possibility is higher since they aren't making versions for other platforms.

I don't disagree with this, but I feel that the chances of any launch game blowing my mind with new experiences is pretty low. Sony might have a higher chance next gen if they aren't making cross-platform games, and the fact that these consoles are evolutions on the previous gen might increase those odds a little more, but even so, I'm not holding my breath for anything game-changing at launch.

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020
Weirdly, with all this talk of "real" next gen games, one clearly next-gen title has already been announced and it's cross-gen: Microsoft Flight Simulator. Allowing you to fly around the entire world in a photorealistic simulation is quite clearly something ambitiously new and only made possible by technological advances, but you'll be able to play it on an One X or even S if you want.

How does that fit into conversations about what is and isn't a next-gen experience?

Silencerx98

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's going to be interesting how they combat a potential lockhart when they only have a premium next gen.

I think Sony will go for power, but as a business decision I think its the wrong move for them.
Let's be honest here, Lockhart wouldn't really matter outside of Xbox's strong territories like US and UK. You're not going to sway places where Xbox has weak presence to buy one even if it's $200 cheaper than PS5

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020
Let's be honest here, Lockhart wouldn't really matter outside of Xbox's strong territories like US and UK. You're not going to sway places where Xbox has weak presence to buy one even if it's $200 cheaper than PS5

With the right support and marketing it's absolutely possible to sway a lot of those places, many of which will be far more price-sensitive than the US/UK.

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017

I didn't think this was possible due to having to get retailers up to speed for the holiday push and needing to get stockholders pumped prior to end of the fiscal year, but could you imagine if this happened?

People will need to know the price beforehand so they can save. Phones are typically purchased over a stretch of time.

Dropping X amount on them and launch in 2/3 weeks wouldn't be ideal, although unlikely to impact intial sales any how. What it might do though is push people towards XSX as it may have a known price by then, plus the existing upgrade offers in place by MS.

Retsudo

Oct 28, 2017
Separate how? Seems odd an event that big would change last minute.

A big tech event with a bunch of companies and professionals in Barcelona was just canceled. It was happening in a couple of weeks if I'm not wrong.

Seeing as how everything surrounding the Corona virus situation is still in Flux, I imagine a bunch of companies are updating their plans for the next releases.

Safety first, and no need to endanger people unnecessarily.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Weirdly, with all this talk of "real" next gen games, one clearly next-gen title has already been announced and it's cross-gen: Microsoft Flight Simulator. Allowing you to fly around the entire world in a photorealistic simulation is quite clearly something ambitiously new and only made possible by technological advances, but you'll be able to play it on an One X or even S if you want.

How does that fit into conversations about what is and isn't a next-gen experience?
Surely we have to wait and see how well the game actually plays on those systems. Safe to say what we've seen so far officially is from pretty powerful PC hardware. It may be a lot less gobsmacking on the One S, who knows. I'm figuring a lot less ground details etc, and that's a large element of why the game looks so good.

Oct 25, 2017
It's going to be interesting how they combat a potential lockhart when they only have a premium next gen.

I think Sony will go for power, but as a business decision I think its the wrong move for them.
With no Super Slim PS4, not much of a price drop, and the "fastest transition" quote. There was also news of the price still being decided.
Could they be planning to heavily subsidize the price of PS5...

MS has invested in Lockhart(though it's not official yet so could be scrapped), has already announced continued support for X1 owners through 2021.
If Sony came out with "PS5 ~12TF @ $299". That would probably scrap Lockhart, and force MS to match their price with the XSX.

Then it's truly a battle of software and services - because they'll both be dependent on that for profitability.

Deleted member 15973

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A big tech event with a bunch of companies and professionals in Barcelona was just canceled. It was happening in a couple of weeks if I'm not wrong.

Seeing as how everything surrounding the Corona virus situation is still in Flux, I imagine a bunch of companies are updating their plans for the next releases.

Safety first, and no need to endanger people unnecessarily.
There are more Chinese Phone companies then there are in the gaming market. Who would come to the PS5 event from China apart from Tencent?

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020
Surely we have to wait and see how well the game actually plays on those systems. Safe to say what we've seen so far officially is from pretty powerful PC hardware. It may be a lot less gobsmacking on the One S, who knows. I'm figuring a lot less ground details etc, and that's a large element of why the game looks so good.

That's fair, but my point is more that this is a clearly next gen experience on a beefy PC, as I'm sure it will be on the XSX, but the narrative in this thread would make you think that such a thing is impossible because it will also run on an Xbox One.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
That's fair, but my point is more that this is a clearly next gen experience on a beefy PC, as I'm sure it will be on the XSX, but the narrative in this thread would make you think that such a thing is impossible because it will also run on an Xbox One.
If it can run on an Xbox One, it's not a next-gen game. Unless we're talking about a colossal Witcher 3 on the Switch kind of downgrade, of course.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
It took years after the launch of the consoles before releases started looking "breathtaking". PS4 launched in 2013 and HZD launched in 2017. These people who think that games will be ready day 1 to take control of all the features are ignorant of how generations work imo
I can almost promise you that that won't be the case this gen.

Engines wouldn't have to be rebuilt entirely from the ground up this time around. Devs aren't going from PowerPC, split RAM...etc to x86. They are going from x86 to x86 with new bells and whistles.

We're seeing a trend of "Pro" category devices being shipped day and date with base SKUs from the likes of Apple and Samsung in the smartphone space and if Lockhart is truly a thing then Microsoft too with their consoles. It'd almost seem strange for Sony to only offer one SKU at launch.
wouldn't it be funny if the 36CU leak we have been seeing of the PS5 is actually the PS5 and there is also a PS5pro that s more powerful being released at the same time? 8.2TF PS5 with 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD and retailing for $399. 13TF PS5pro with 24GB RAM, 1TB SSDretail for $499. They make a loss on the pro, make a profit on the base PS5.

Last edited:

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People will need to know the price beforehand so they can save. Phones are typically purchased over a stretch of time.

Dropping X amount on them and launch in 2/3 weeks wouldn't be ideal, although unlikely to impact intial sales any how. What it might do though is push people towards XSX as it may have a known price by then, plus the existing upgrade offers in place by MS.

That's when find out you can get a 2 year payment plan for your PS5 so soften the blow!

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
wouldn't it be funny if the 36CU leak we have been seeing of the PS5 is actually the PS5 and there is also a PS5pro that s more powerful being released at the same time? 8.2TF PS5 with 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD and retailing for $399. 13TF PS5pro with 24GB RAM, 1TB SSDretail for $499. They make a loss on the pro, make a profit on the base PS5.

A console with a 13TF GPU and 24GB GDDR6 RAM would be $599 at least :p

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't exactly been keeping up with this thread...how do we know February isn't the PS5 reveal? What did I miss?
It's getting late now to invite the world's gaming journalists to travel to New York or wherever if the event is in Feb. Two weeks is starting to be a bit demanding, 2013 they gave three weeks notice IIRC.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
PS5 reveal like Apple? Seriously like APPLE? cmon now. They aren't that stupid. PlayStation is big, but lol at thinking they can do something like Apple or Samsung. Plus iPhones leak the year before with maybe a few red herrings. Thinking you can do this with a game console is ridiculous. Too many partners and moving pieces.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
A console with a 13TF GPU and 24GB GDDR6 RAM would be $599 at least :p
That's why I said, take a loss on the Pro (since they are selling a $599 console for $499) and make a profit on the Base PS5, a $349 console for $399.

Generally the idea here is that more of the base PS5 would be sold. Probably would outsell the PS5pro at a ratio of like 4:1 ultimately.

Jun 23, 2019
I love how the, "Feb isn't looking possible, I'm starting to doubt everything about Klee!" crowd is starting to emerge. Uh people, thats kinda before a worldwide pandemic came out and started threatening to infect people at random. Even if there was an event in Feb, why would you risk bringing people together and possibly exposing people? If Mobile World just cancelled, you don't think Sony would cancel an event possibly happening in New York, one of the most densely populated places in America? Have you people not played The Division? Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.