• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which team are you on?

• Double Team (1997)

• Team Walnut

• The A-Team

• Team "No One Can Stop Mr. Domino"

• Sports Team

• "I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel."

• Team Margarita

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Why until next year the earliest ?
The two biggest jump of next gen are the CPU and SSD .
Something around that level of power could have been in dev skits for years by the time these consoles come out .
For eg spidey demo was showed off in april which mean they would have SSD in the devs kits since 2018.
More than that enough time to make engine changes or make a game around the SSD by the time consoles launch .
Yeah, I think Sony having dev kits out so early might give them a leg up on making next gen games that take advantage of the new hardware sooner.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Come on, it's Forza, they would launch that day one and it will be an iteration of what game before, next gen bells and whistles sure but it's still pretty much what you expect from the mainline series every time, Turn 10 hype aside and live in hope it's not like every similar game that came before. I just don't expect a lot from this series other than pretty visuals, tech talks are all well and fine but I'm not that deep into those aspects and couldn't say it changes the experience for the better but maybe it does and motor heads love Forza.

Bells and whistles is generally all to be expected from launch titles if the last two generations are any indication. When's the last time a launch game delivered previously impossible gameplay? People often sight Ryse and Killzone, but those were, visual leaps, but not game changers in any other sense.

That said, I expect Turn10s execution as developers of a technical showpiece on XSX will rival that of any other day 1 game on any platform, despite it being a cross-gen game. (That is, ofcourse, assuming Forza Motorsport gets announced as a launch title)

Oct 27, 2017
Why until next year the earliest ?
The two biggest jump of next gen are the CPU and SSD .
Something around that level of power could have been in dev skits for years by the time these consoles come out .
For eg spidey demo was showed off in april which mean they would have SSD in the devs kits since 2018.
More than that enough time to make engine changes or make a game around the SSD by the time consoles launch .
We don't really know if Spider-Man was anything more than a demo made just to show off the SSD speed. Even then, if it is a game, apart from texture streaming and loading speeds, what is going to separate it from a game built for just a HDD?

"Something that could" have been in dev kits for years is not a given. Plus, how much turnaround time are you thinking here? 2 years 3 years for AAA launch games that have been built specifically to take advantage of the hardware? 3years would mean that devs have been working away since 2017... Sounds a little hopeful imo. But not to be 100% discredited mind you.

But then add what has happened in the past, and like I said the difference between launch games and games that arrive a couple of years later. I am still very skeptical of the cross gen effects on launch games.

If cross gen persists into 2022 and beyond, then it will be a different story I think.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Welp GDC being cancelled would suck but makes sense given the current situation.

Feeling more and more likely that a State of Play is the smarter way to reveal the PS5.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Welp GDC being cancelled would suck but makes sense given the current situation.

Feeling more and more likely that a State of Play is the smarter way to reveal the PS5.

At this point, even if they were planning a stage event they could just film that and upload it (some adjustments but the basic structure could be kept)

Nov 2, 2017
Why some people here act like a future PS5 Pro is given or even highly possible, I really do not get. PS5 (and also Series X) is a generational leap and unlike PS4 Xbone era, these next gen consoles are not hamstrung by 'Jaguar' mobile CPU cores which is btw a "low-power microarchitecture" and also slow-poke HDDs with their spinning plates and seek times.

Proper desktop PC caliber CPU cores and customized SSDs alone are going to provide a generational leap unlike ever seen before. Consoles will finally catch up to enthusiast grade PCs (not mainstream or low end PCs). GPU aspect and thus TFs are all the rage in this thread, however the game development will change so much that the industry will not need a mid generational stop gap this time around, since the consoles which are the weakest links the devs always need to cater to, are now on par with enthusiast PCs for at least a few years, then after a few years only a bit slower (not an order of magnitude less powerful/slower).

And also don't forget the devs get used to the process some time into the life cycle of consoles, so after learning so much targeting a set spec, their work shine well into the generation. So this time around last few years of the generation won't be even held back by some glaring bottlenecks like the 'Jaguar' cores. -> No need for a mid gen refresh

Edit: a few words here and there
If you'd look at the mid gen consoles you'd see that they mostly only improved the GPU. They didn't change the CPU except for a minor upclock and did nothing with the HDD so the reason they exist has nothing to do with Jaguar & HDDs but rather lack of GPU power. The same thing is going to be the case next gen.

Also I don't think you really know what the word enthusiast means. Even current enthusiast PCs are already beyond what a console is going to offer at the end of this year but that's just to be expected as they cost $1000+ more and aren't constrained as much by power draw & temperature. By the end of this year Nvidia will have released their 7nm cards and the current high end cards will be mid range again. That's just how it goes.

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
"Something that could" have been in dev kits for years is not a given. Plus, how much turnaround time are you thinking here? 2 years 3 years for AAA launch games that have been built specifically to take advantage of the hardware? 3years would mean that devs have been working away since 2017... Sounds a little hopeful imo. But not to be 100% discredited mind you.
I think there is a lot of games that has been developed without any specific platform in mind (except the PC), which will end as next-gen exclusives.

For example, Beyond Good and Evil 2 has been reannounced in 2017 and I really doubt it will launch on current-gen, even if next-gen wasn't a thing in 2017. I think Ubisoft Montpellier create the game that they want, with the tech that they have, and when if will be close to the end of its development, they will think about which plateform launch it on.

Chamon

Feb 26, 2019
I wouldn't be surprised, given how one of the biggest, if not the biggest, mobile conferences in the world (the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona) got cancelled yesterday.
The weird thing is that while Barcelona's Congress has been cancelled, another Mobile congress is happening in Amsterdam, with some of the companies that decided not to go to Barcelona. It's a little bit strange...

Last edited:

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
We don't really know if Spider-Man was anything more than a demo made just to show off the SSD speed. Even then, if it is a game, apart from texture streaming and loading speeds, what is going to separate it from a game built for just a HDD?

But then add what has happened in the past, and like I said the difference between launch games and games that arrive a couple of years later. I am still very skeptical of the cross gen effects on launch games.

If cross gen persists into 2022 and beyond, then it will be a different story I think.

Faster texture streaming it's self could be a big change .( it will be for devs )
Some thing being build around the SSD don't have to have a huge impact it just has to be something that can't be done on the HDD.
If we use as spidey as a eg again him going 3 or 4 times faster is not a huge change to us but it's still something that could not be done on the HDD.
Also lets use HZD 2 they have most likely being working on that since the DLC done in 2017 and using low speed dev kits which had SSD in them.
SSD are not a new thing and with them knowing they will use one for PS5 early dev kits will have them even if they not at full speed.
Yes games that come out later on will take more advantage of the hardware but the jump from SSD to HDD so big that they can take advantage of it right away .

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Take with a grain of salt - and it's not anything worth a thread at the moment, for sure - but there'd the odd muttering on Twitter from some devs of "rumours" of GDC being cancelled. Could well just be people speculating pessimistically...
Kind of really doubt it at this point, outside of Asia, the virus has been pretty well contained. There would be no reason to cancel it if no other shows in the U.S. have been cancelled for it either.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
If we won't get anythign by tomorrow, then don't expect anythign to be announced this month, let alone something happening this month.
Sony wouldn't have skipped E3 to not hold an event near it or after it. That is when they gonna reveal the PS5.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Kind of really doubt it at this point, outside of Asia, the virus has been pretty well contained. There would be no reason to cancel it if no other shows in the U.S. have been cancelled for it either.

MWC is in Barcelona. I guess a lot of hardware would be being shipped from China but stil.

Maybe GDC is more US/European centric but still - aside from organiser doubts, you just need to get a few of the big sponsors expressing concern and the cracks will rapidly spread

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
MWC is in Barcelona. I guess a lot of hardware would be being shipped from China but stil.

Maybe GDC is more US/European centric but still - aside from organiser doubts, you just need to get a few of the big sponsors expressing concern and the cracks will rapidly spread
Being able to travel by land from Asia there was probably a factor, I'm not following Coronavirus very much aside from the breakthrough news that comes up once in a while, so I'm not very familiar with the situation in Europe, but over in NA it's pretty much non-existant.

tusharngf

Oct 29, 2017
Lordran
Take with a grain of salt - and it's not anything worth a thread at the moment, for sure - but there'd the odd muttering on Twitter from some devs of "rumours" of GDC being cancelled. Could well just be people speculating pessimistically...
I am okay with this if it's true. People's lives are more important than an event which can be done later.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
the latest news on it from the GDC site is that chinese exhibitors are effected and that update was yesterday.

https://www.gdconf.com/novel-coronavirus-update
Due to stringent U.S. travel and safety restrictions implemented on February 2nd, 2020, all of our China-based exhibitors (around 10 out of the 550 companies hosted at GDC this year) have had to push their participation to 2021 or are sending North American personnel to staff their booth. We are looking forward to hosting them next year.

In addition, our China-based conference attendees (around 2% of the total GDC attendance) will not be attending this year, since the U.S. Government has restricted visas & travel from areas significantly impacted by COVID19. We're hoping for a resolution of this difficult situation as soon as practical.

The health and safety of our attendees and exhibitors is our top priority. We've outlined below important safety guidelines that we have put in place, as well as health measures that will be in effect during GDC 2020 in San Francisco. These measures should help all attendees to have a healthy event.

Yep, exactly as I thought. Flying in by plane makes cancelling events in NA much tougher. Travel restrictions and security make it much harder for people to slip by undetected with the virus.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
Being able to travel by land from Asia there was probably a factor, I'm not following Coronavirus very much aside from the breakthrough news that comes up once in a while, so I'm not very familiar with the situation in Europe, but over in NA it's pretty much non-existant.

You really believe that in todays times the ability to travel by land does take a role in the spreading of a virus?
lol

JamboGT

Vehicle Handling Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I don't think many people are driving from anywhere in Asia to Barcelona for a conference.

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020
If it can run on an Xbox One, it's not a next-gen game. Unless we're talking about a colossal Witcher 3 on the Switch kind of downgrade, of course.

We don't know what it will look like on the One yet, but what I do know is that one of the early threads about the title saw just about every third reply being someone saying something along the lines of "welp, I guess the next-gen has arrived". I don't think that the existence of a One version was known at the time, but that doesn't really matter, this was recognised as a next-gen experience from the first time people laid eyes on it and learnt of the scale of its ambition.

To me, it's clearly a real next-gen experience, regardless of its cross-gen nature, but based on the conversations in this thread, it seems that isn't possible despite the evidence in front of us.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
I'm starting to doubt about Cerny though. If he doesn't get them flops right :D

Wow, is that kind of talk allowed around here
giphy.gif

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Would it be better for all of us if both companies decide to cancell their 2020 holiday launch and go for a 2021/2022 with Zen 3 or am I dreaming?

Oke, only Knack 3 at launch can save him then.

I feel like a heretic around here sometimes, i fall asleep when he speaks, and i have never played Knack.
I should hand in my PSN account really.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
Yes, moreso than any other mode of transport.

Well, sure it takes a role in a "neighborhood".
But on international scale?
No, land connections are not necassary to spread a virus, nor even take a big role in that scale, the biggest role playing flight connections.
That is why there are currently no lufthansa china flights from europe.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Well, sure it takes a role in a "neighborhood".
But on international scale?
No, land connections are not necassary to spread a virus, nor even take a big role in that scale, the biggest role playing flight connections.
That is why there are currently no lufthansa china flights from europe.
That's exactly my point, way easier to block air travel.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
I think you should look up barcelona and china on google earth, or somewhere.
And check some travel times for land travel.
I think you should look up how long the virus has been around and spreading. This isn't a week, or even month old virus/health crisis. It doesn't have to spread directly from China to Barcelona, it spreads through Asia->Europe, and then internally through Europe. By land, it makes this much easier to slip by.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
I think you should look up how long the virus has been around and spreading. This isn't a week, or even month old virus/health crisis. It doesn't have to spread directly from China to Barcelona, it spreads through Asia->Europe, and then internally through Europe. By land, it makes this much easier to slip by.

Well, everyone is free to believe what he wants.
And maybe you are right.
But i can assure you that every corona infected in europe came form china per aircraft.
But maybe all these land travelers are still on their route.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Well, everyone is free to believe what he wants.
And maybe you are right.
But i can assure you that every corona infected in europe came form china per aircraft.
But maybe all these land travelers are still on their route.
China -> Any other asian country, can be done by land, and from those countries? Any mode of transport really.

Also, recently: https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/11/europe/steve-walsh-uk-coronavirus-patient-intl-gbr/index.html
From Singapore to France, to UK, no China.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
People's lives are more important than an event which can be done later.
You have higher chance to die in the travel between your home and the event than being infect in the event and die.
I think you should look up barcelona and china on google earth, or somewhere.
And check some travel times for land travel.
Yeah, no one done this.
So originaly throught air transport...

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Would it be better for all of us if both companies decide to cancell their 2020 holiday launch and go for a 2021/2022 with Zen 3 or am I dreaming?

Oke, only Knack 3 at launch can save him then.

Like I said this a long time ago, a 2021 release would have been perfect for best power/price combo, Zen 3, RDNA 2 around 17 Tflops and more.
This year won't be empty anyway and we still have amazing games to be released on current gen.

And more RT samples.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Not sure about that. 8K TV may exist, but it is still far earlier in its lifespan than 4K was in 2013. In three or four years time when these mid-gen refreshes are likely to appear, the install base of 8K TVs is likely to be vanishingly small.
I think the 4K penetration of 2013 (that wasn't that big) will be the same as the 8K one in 2024.

Oct 31, 2019
China -> Any other asian country, can be done by land, and from those countries? Any mode of transport really.

Also, recently: https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/11/europe/steve-walsh-uk-coronavirus-patient-intl-gbr/index.html
From Singapore to France, to UK, no China.
This report reminds me of the film Contagion (Soderbergh, 2011) in it there was a fight against time to find the patient zero and how the first transmission had occurred as people died left and right and humanity was on the verge of collapse and extinction...

Megamind.

Nov 18, 2019
Some of the best looking games of the generation came in the first two years. Ryse, The Order, etc. In addition to that, some of the most impressive games were even cross-gen (i.e. MGSV).

People look at ryse with some sort of distorted goggles. Looking at it now so many games surpassed it

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
And did he came from singapore to france per land travel ?

Maybe we are both wrong.
You have higher chance to die in the travel between your home and the event than being infect in the event and die.

Yeah, no one done this.

So originaly throught air transport...
Sure, by air first, but it didn't have to be. There are so many countries connected by land in Asia/Europe/Africa, the only way for it to travel from there to NA would be by air. There have only been a handful of cases in Canada, and probably a little more in the U.S. which is probably the country that is the most stringent on border-crossing.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Can I sue Sony for the lack of information regarding PS5? Millions of people cannot focus on work due to that.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Could they pull it off and with that I mean the redesign part.

I don't know since now everything is set in stoens architecture wise (clocks and memory size may still be discussed) but if they targetted 2021 from the start, they could have shipped RDNA1+ Zen 2 devkits for nwo then later they could upgrade the devkits to match the final specs.

of course, frame rate too (because games will mostly be 30 FPS in 4 years)

You will be surprised to know that we will get more 60 FPS next-gen than this gen.

Status
Not open for further replies.