• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which team are you on?

• Double Team (1997)

• Team Walnut

• The A-Team

• Team "No One Can Stop Mr. Domino"

• Sports Team

• "I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel."

• Team Margarita

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I don't know, just because devs have access to the zen cores, more ram, ssd etc does not automatically mean they will innovate gameplay beyond what this gen has done. I hope they do otherwise it will be a dispointing gen.
At this point it's impossible to make educated speculation how launch games will fair.

I think the whole "cross-gen = compromised next gen games" thing is pretty overblown.

- For one, if we assume around a year of support, it's going to affect a few games at most.
- The only games that would conceivably push the hardware in "new" ways would likely be "AAA" products, and those would have started development at least a few years ago, before specs were even nailed down. And of course, all of these theories of using the SSD's as de facto RAM and so on, are just pure talk at the moment.
- Xbox first-party games already were guaranteed for PC, meaning they already had to design with scaling in mind, and not a fixed console spec.

The Witcher 3 is probably the best recent example of how crazy you can get with scaling an expansive game, if you put in the work. If, say, Halo Infinite leverages the SSD for a gigantic, seamless open world - there's nothing to say the Xbox One port couldn't just have loading screens instead. It just comes down to whether they put in the work, and whether their upgraded engine tech is designed to scale well.

Nebuzel

Oct 27, 2017
Sony isn't going to pull an Apple-style announcement because its apples to oranges. Its just not the same or the equivalent. A yearly iPhone that rarely has a generational leap isn't going to get announced and showcased super-early when the previous model was just released a few months earlier. People expect a new iPhone every year. Playstation 5 is the start of a new generation.

On a side note (and ironically), this year's iPhone may be the next "leap" due to 5G capability and some serious design tweaks. The last time it happened was probably iPhone 6 (size change). Playstation 5 is a totally different story.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I love how the, "Feb isn't looking possible, I'm starting to doubt everything about Klee!" crowd is starting to emerge. Uh people, thats kinda before a worldwide pandemic came out and started threatening to infect people at random. Even if there was an event in Feb, why would you risk bringing people together and possibly exposing people? If Mobile World just cancelled, you don't think Sony would cancel an event possibly happening in New York, one of the most densely populated places in America? Have you people not played The Division? Lol

People are already still coming together. Pro sports. Concerts. Airports. People aren't quarantined in their homes.

While you might not want to hold a giant public event in China right now, they could easily do it in Japan or the US if they wanted to.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
It's usually the other way around. Higher margins on premium products.
Yeah, I know, but it shouldn't be. At least not in this case. Because the SKU that will end upselling more will be the lower model. That's where you want to make your money.

If I were MS that's what I ould be trying to do too.

Atlas I don't see sony doing this though, as at the end of the day I don't think it makes much sense. Its a good strategy forMS, as that would mean they potentially could have one that costs less than the PS5 and one that costs more. But it's a slippery slope, cause for it to work their premium SKU needs to be noticeably better than anything sony puts out.

Sony isn't going to pull an Apple-style announcement because its apples to oranges. Its just not the same or the equivalent. A yearly iPhone that rarely has a generational leap isn't going to get announced and showcased super-early when the previous model was just released a few months earlier. People expect a new iPhone every year. Playstation 5 is the start of a new generation.

On a side note (and ironically), this year's iPhone may be the next "leap" due to 5G capability and some serious design tweaks. The last time it happened was probably iPhone 6 (size change). Playstation 5 is a totally different story.
I can't even believe anyone thinks something like that is possible. There are a lot of devs that want to show their new projects and start generating hype or them. Some of those projects are going to be on the PS5. There are a lot of reasons why sony must show its hardware asap. Cause eventually MS would start showing theirs and whatever partnerships they have and at that point, MS really takes over the next-gen conversation.

DoctorOcho

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (3 Days) - Console Warring
MS was hosed in 2014 when they lost this generation. Go look up my posts from back then. x86 and digital meant that this generation was a winner takes all deathmatch for the console business going forward.

No one is going to give up the software library they've already purchased on PS4 — especially since so many of us went digital. XCloud, GamePass, etc. are all ways to combat Sony's BC advantage but even MS knows they can't win.

That's why they are distributing the cost of game development across Xbox, PC, and other platforms. It's the only value add they can offer.They are smart to do so. But they are still going to lose.

The only thing that could have saved them was Sony fucking up. But MS now knows everything about PS5 and realize that ain't happening either. It's over folks and both companies already know it.

You will know I'm right by the fact that MS will not invest in console only titles. They'll invest in services. They will invest in cross platform. Contrary to Phil's BS, they won't invest in Japan. They are a break even business at best with no future. They will struggle to invest at all.

Last edited:

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
PS5 reveal like Apple? Seriously like APPLE? cmon now. They aren't that stupid. PlayStation is big, but lol at thinking they can do something like Apple or Samsung. Plus iPhones leak the year before with maybe a few red herrings. Thinking you can do this with a game console is ridiculous. Too many partners and moving pieces.

What brings you to this conclusion exactly? Sure, the PS4 doesn't sell as well as the latest Galaxy or iPhone devices (the Galaxy S9 range sold 35m the entire year, the S10 is expected to sell similarly, in contrast the PS4 at its peak sold around 20m per annum), but there's still an insane amount in interest in PlayStation. Hell, the PS4 reveal event has considerably more views than the last few Samsung Galaxy Unpacked events, just not nearly as many as Apples keynotes (which cover multiple different products and announcements).

I wouldn't be at all surprised if a PS5 Apple/Samsung style keynote blows the Samsung Keynotes away in terms of views. The reveal of the Series X alone has 10m views (far more than Apples 2019 keynote), and just the announcement of the PS5 logo has over 5m. So clearly in terms of early adopters or enthusiast consumers, the interest is there.

Last edited:

Smokey_Run

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Do you really think the third party publishers that signed marketing deals with Sony are going to be cool with holding off on details for that version of the game until this fall? Hell, that's why I don't think this drags on longer than a couple weeks before e3.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
MS was hosed in 2014 when they lost this generation. Go look up my posts from back then.

No one is going to give up the software library they've already purchased on PS4 — especially since so many of us went digital. XCloud, GamePass, etc. are all ways to combat Sony's BC advantage but even MS knows they can't win.

Which is why they are distributing the cost of game development across Xbox, PC, and other platforms. It's the only value add they can offer.They are smart to do so. But they are still going to lose and there's only one thing that could save them.

Sony fucking up. But MS now knows that ain't happening either.It's over folks and both companies already know it.

🤔 Aight.

Not sure MS is looking to "win" anything but eventual profit at this point.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
I think the whole "cross-gen = compromised next gen games" thing is pretty overblown.

- For one, if we assume around a year of support, it's going to affect a few games at most.
- The only games that would conceivably push the hardware in "new" ways would likely be "AAA" products, and those would have started development at least a few years ago, before specs were even nailed down. And of course, all of these theories of using the SSD's as de facto RAM and so on, are just pure talk at the moment.
- Xbox first-party games already were guaranteed for PC, meaning they already had to design with scaling in mind, and not a fixed console spec.

The Witcher 3 is probably the best recent example of how crazy you can get with scaling an expansive game, if you put in the work. If, say, Halo Infinite leverages the SSD for a gigantic, seamless open world - there's nothing to say the Xbox One port couldn't just have loading screens instead. It just comes down to whether they put in the work, and whether their upgraded engine tech is designed to scale well.
It can be spun however its wanted, but make no mistake... cross-gen games (in most cases) would hold back next-gen development. Its pretty simple, if a game is really built around (not just to take advantage... but built around) the feature set of the next-gen consoles (particularly the CPU, bandwidth and SSD) and their engines are built for that... said game would not be able to run on the current-gen hardware without some serious modifications.
People are already still coming together. Pro sports. Concerts. Airports. People aren't quarantined in their homes.

While you might not want to hold a giant public event in China right now, they could easily do it in Japan or the US if they wanted to.
Not saying this as a cop out for him, but as with all leaks, its possible that at the time of him getting his info it was accurate and sony was scheduled to revealing February. That decision could have been changed last month just like that. I think a better indicator of the authenticity of Klee's info is where the console lies power-wise. I believe he said above 10TF. If we get a 8/9TF console, then well.....
MS was hosed in 2014 when they lost this generation. Go look up my posts from back then.

That's why they are distributing the cost of game development across Xbox, PC, and other platforms. It's the only value add they can offer.They are smart to do so. But they are still going to lose.

The only thing that could have saved them wasS Sony fucking up. But MS now knows that ain't happening either. It's over folks and both companies already know it.
Does this kinda shit still happen? Even here?

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
MS was hosed in 2014 when they lost this generation. Go look up my posts from back then. x86 and digital meant that this generation was a winner takes all deathmatch for the console business going forward.

The only thing that could have saved them was Sony fucking up. But MS now knows everything about PS5 and realize that ain't happening either. It's over folks and both companies already know it.

This is pretty close to some fanboy piffle.

But they are still going to lose.

Lose what? The goal is to make more money for shareholders. While I'm sure Spencer would be thrilled to see the Xbox SX "win" the next round of the console warz, it's ultimately not the main objective - it's only the main objective for console warriors on message boards and comments sections.

If Spencer's primary goal was simply to outsell the PS5, you wouldn't see all of these initiatives and services that inherently undermine the need to own an Xbox console.

Oct 25, 2017

You will know I'm right by the fact that MS will not invest in console only titles. They'll invest in services. They will invest in cross platform. Contrary to Phil's BS, they won't invest in Japan. They are a break even business at best with no future. They will struggle to invest at all.

Lol.

Ru 12?

Please never grow up I'm really enjoying this vibe you're on.

#theconsolewars

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
I'll be happy to purchase PS5 and XSX when they come out. I'm looking forward to both platforms equally.

It's then just a matter of which services I'll want to subscribe to and what games I buy.

I will definitely stick to physical purchases of games as much as possible. My current internet sucks (Comcast, 10 Mbps).

Morgan J

Oct 26, 2017
latest

Once in a while we get these guys in the thread.

El_Chino

Oct 25, 2017
I love how the, "Feb isn't looking possible, I'm starting to doubt everything about Klee!" crowd is starting to emerge. Uh people, thats kinda before a worldwide pandemic came out and started threatening to infect people at random. Even if there was an event in Feb, why would you risk bringing people together and possibly exposing people? If Mobile World just cancelled, you don't think Sony would cancel an event possibly happening in New York, one of the most densely populated places in America? Have you people not played The Division? Lol
How many do you expect from China or any infected country to attend?

Samsung didn't cancel their event...

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018

1. Xcloud and Game Pass are simply the future of where tech has been going, and it fits in with Microsoft's subscription business model when it comes to cloud computing. This business model is not something that was birthed this generation. It was something that started when Steve Ballmer still headed Microsoft. I remember also reading from someone knowledgeable that the subscription game model was an idea that may have come from Don Mattrick.

Sony themselves have always had an idea that cloud based services were also going to be where the future was headed. This is why you had the purchase of Gaikai and PS Now coming into effect. Then the spreading of PS Now to PC, and the partnership with Microsoft on cloud based solutions.

Tencent has got to gaming....... It is almost as if all these tech companies have an idea of what can be leveraged and monetized. Console warriors though think that it all comes down to one player.

2. People are not going to game more older games simply because they are digital. This is a creation of online forums.
In addition to this, third parties are going to also leverage where tech is headed to carve out a niche for themsleves. Your purchases need not be tied to a live or PSN account. They will similarly push for more crossplay..........and no one knows how this will affect the marketplace.

3. Gaming has been a profitable business for years for MS. Having a subscription service and games coming to PC means that they will be profitable for years to come. The convergence with cloud computing is one thing that will ensure that they will continue to reap rewards from the gaming business as a whole leveraging other industry players.

The investment in Japan needs not turn a profit. If they gain some gamers on mobile or PC, so be it. It is a move needed to provide variety to game pass. Console warriors though, cannot see that.

Oct 31, 2019
Why some people here act like a future PS5 Pro is given or even highly possible, I really do not get. PS5 (and also Series X) is a generational leap and unlike PS4 Xbone era, these next gen consoles are not hamstrung by 'Jaguar' mobile CPU cores which is btw a "low-power microarchitecture" and also slow-poke HDDs with their spinning plates and seek times.

Proper desktop PC caliber CPU cores and customized SSDs alone are going to provide a generational leap unlike ever seen before. Consoles will finally catch up to enthusiast grade PCs (not mainstream or low end PCs). GPU aspect and thus TFs are all the rage in this thread, however the game development will change so much that the industry will not need a mid generational stop gap this time around, since the consoles which are the weakest links the devs always need to cater to, are now on par with enthusiast PCs for at least a few years, then after a few years only a bit slower (not an order of magnitude less powerful/slower).

And also don't forget the devs get used to the process some time into the life cycle of consoles, so after learning so much targeting a set spec, their work shine well into the generation. So this time around last few years of the generation won't be even held back by some glaring bottlenecks like the 'Jaguar' cores. -> No need for a mid gen refresh

Edit: a few words here and there

Last edited:

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017
Haven't seen a 'Doom' post for either side in these threads in a long time.

lol. Forgot what that was like. Dam

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Why some people here act like a future PS5 Pro is given or even highly possible, I really do not get. PS5 (and also Series X) is a generational leap and unlike PS4 Xbone era, these next gen consoles are not hamstrung by 'Jaguar' mobile CPU cores which is a "low-power microarchitecture" and also slow-poke HDDs with their spinning plates and seek times.

Proper desktop PC caliber CPU cores and customized SSDs alone is going to provide a generational leap unlike ever seen before. Consoles will finally catch up to enthusiast grade PCs (not mainstream or low end PCs). GPU aspect and thus TFs are all the rage in this thread, however the game development will change so much that the industry will not need a mid generational stop gap this time around, since the consoles which are the weakest links the devs always need to cater to, are now on par with enthusiast PCs for at least a few years, then after a few years only a bit slower (not an order of magnitude less powerful/slower).

And also don't forget the devs get used to the process some time into the life cycle of consoles, so after learning so much targeting a set spec, their work shine well into the generation. So this time around last few years of the generation won't be even held back by some glaring bottlenecks like the 'Jaguar' cores. -> No need for a mid gen refresh
Funny, the one thing you highlighted that "hamstrung" the current-gen is the one thing thy dint change when they had their mid gen refreshes. Kinda suggests that you are a little off on what you are saying.

The only way we don't get a PS5 pro, is if for some reason there is no 5nm fab process the next 3-4 years. With every console generation (specifically with PlayStations) there have always been mid gen refreshes, the only difference this time around was that they didn't just make a smaller cheaper version of the PS4, they took advantage of the same fab shrink that allowed them to make the PS4slim to also make a PS4 pro. Basically, the PS4 they could have made in 2016.

And their reasoning was to curb the usual migration to PC gaming that usually plagues the latter half of every console generation. Why you think this would be different now is beyond me. If by 2024 we have 5nm fab, and w have a PS5slim, then you can bet your last dollar that we will have a PS5pro. Same CPU, better GPU + better RT, maybe more RAM...etc.

The mid gen refreshes in the current-gen don't exist because anything was holding anything back.... that's just a totally wrong statement, especially being that games are still made primarily for those 2013 boxes. Not the refreshed 2016/2017 boxes.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Haven't seen a 'Doom' post for either side in these threads in a long time.

lol. Forgot what that was like. Dam

I'm kinda bored with it aall now, Microsoft clearly are taking the regular drops if tit bits. Phil seems to be doing lots of interviews and getting out there to drop a few nuggets.

And I guess sony are taking the, let's keep quiet and surprise them. Which i am now completely numb too.

I would imagine corona virus has effected any plans for an event in early 2020 so it's now a waiting game.

Oct 31, 2019
Funny, the one thing you highlighted that "hamstrung" the current-gen is the one thing thy dint change when they had their mid gen refreshes. Kinda suggests that you are a little off on what you are saying.
Well it is easy. Once the weakest link is set for all multi-platform games, it defines the whole gaming experience, design wise (for art, mechanics, animations... etc. you name it). So, if you are making a multi-platform game then you are hamstrung by a bottleneck which is always guaranteed to be the consoles and some part of their specification within (namely their CPU architecture). The mid gen refresh resulted in overclocked APUs in the CPU side, but they couldn't make it a new microarchitecture without compromising the base versions of the consoles. So all the multi plat games were designed with these in mind. So, what I'm saying is true when you keep in mind that console manufacturers couldn't radically change their CPUs, so they at least Overclocked them.

An example I could give that might change your mind is PC-only Star Citizen, and how it is literally impossibly to port the same game to current gen (base or enhanced), since the game is designed from the ground up with high end and enthusiast PCs specs in mind, so there is no porting, it is specifically made for PCs and their SSDs and high TF GPUs and really fast CPUs that can feed those GPUs.

Well on the other hand console exclusives could also prove how they can eke out even the last bit of performance on a defined/set spec, but this still doesn't change the fact that they are easily bottlenecked somewhere and the whole design of the game depends on mostly hiding these or they are always designed from the ground up with those limits in mind.

Edit: A good example of an agreed limit can be found in Spiderman PS4 game where the maximum web swinging speed will be a set limit, so without any skill they make you start slower and with every speed skill applied, it automatically hits the limit at which the game assets can be streamed in and out of screen.
So that game with it's assets, crowd numbers, object details at different LODs, number of cars, number of high rises, the area of the neighborhood... etc. is all dependent on this design choice and a set limit. THEN came the Ssd demo where you can zip through the same city at blisteringly high speeds. NOW and only now it is possible to make the same game for Superman with all of the above quantities and qualities for every design choice. They may even make the neighborhoods large enough to scale to actually 1:1 (instead of shrinking them to a more possible sizes). They may make the crowds even larger, and THEN make them even more Interactive, so it is not just taking selfies with them, or high fiving, but also playing basketball with them, or saving a cat from a tree once in a while etc. They can make the same cars not go round and round but different, more diverse cars go in a simulated traffic that is affected by crimes .... All these are held back mostly by the CPU.

The mid gen refreshes in the current-gen don't exist because anything was holding anything back.... that's just a totally wrong statement, especially being that games are still made primarily for those 2013 boxes. Not the refreshed 2016/2017 boxes.
Well you actually you answered yourself with "games are still made primarily for those 2013 boxes. Not the refreshed 2016/2017 boxes." So, something was holding them back from playing at 4K (either with checkerboard, or native, or some other reconstruction) and the mid gen happened. They STILL play the same games, albeit at a higher resolution and/or with other image quality improvements, but everything else is the same. They couldn't make a different enough game (design wise) for the enhanced consoles only even if the developers wanted to (not to mention it is stupid to segregate their user base right in the middle - and thus perhaps making it a forced generational leap).

Edit 2: The goalpost hasn't changed since the mid gen refresh, the resolution target is still 4K, so because of Zen2 it will either make it more performant 4K for everyone like at 60 fps or much more good looking at 30fps.

Last edited:

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Why some people here act like a future PS5 Pro is given or even highly possible, I really do not get. PS5 (and also Series X) is a generational leap and unlike PS4 Xbone era, these next gen consoles are not hamstrung by 'Jaguar' mobile CPU cores which is btw a "low-power microarchitecture" and also slow-poke HDDs with their spinning plates and seek times.

The only reason I think it's likely is because of VR, it's evolving and improving on pc so quickly that I don't think it's possible to go a full generation without updating.

But let's see what they launch first, if its really powerful then I suppose it's less likely.

Pottuvoi

Oct 28, 2017

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
It's not inconceivable that they changed their plans from a live stage event to another State of Play, anyway.
They don't need much of a heads-up for that, and reformatting the presentation will push things back.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
I wonder what a Series X like Tower with a V Vent at the Front on it could look. Would have the same Shape as the Symbol.
I'd love to see the "V vent" actually just be squared off and look like the Death Star trench (with the rest of the console just boxy like the Xbox systems this gen). They could sell coloured gauze covers to flatten out the look if people wanted. Plus tie in adverts with Star Wars games would write themselves.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Take with a grain of salt - and it's not anything worth a thread at the moment, for sure - but there'd the odd muttering on Twitter from some devs of "rumours" of GDC being cancelled. Could well just be people speculating pessimistically...

Last edited:

III-V

Oct 25, 2017

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Take with a grain of salt - and it's not anything worth a thread at the moment, for sure - but there'd the odd muttering on Twitter from some devs of
"rumours" of GDC being cancelled. Could well just be people speculating pessimistically...
You mean cancelled because of Coronavirus?

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Take with a grain of salt - and it's not anything worth a thread at the moment, for sure - but there'd the odd muttering on Twitter from some devs of
"rumours" of GDC being cancelled. Could well just be people speculating pessimistically...
I wouldn't be surprised, given how one of the biggest, if not the biggest, mobile conferences in the world (the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona) got cancelled yesterday.

Oct 27, 2017
It can be spun however its wanted, but make no mistake... cross-gen games (in most cases) would hold back next-gen development. Its pretty simple, if a game is really built around (not just to take advantage... but built around) the feature set of the next-gen consoles (particularly the CPU, bandwidth and SSD) and their engines are built for that... said game would not be able to run on the current-gen hardware without some serious modifications.
Whilst what you say about compromises is correct, the games built specifically for next gen hardware are probably not ready for release until next year at the earliest.

Building engines and games take time. Remove halo CE from the mix, which launch games have really been anything more than graphically superior or larger previous gen games during the last two or three console launches?

Especially when you look at the differences between launch games and games that come two or three years later on the same hardware.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Okay i found the tweets, seems like multiple people in the industry are reporting this, but they dont seem sure themselves either.

Basarili

Oct 27, 2017
Haarlem
Hope you guys get your reveal soon. I am off on vacation now for three weeks and wont be especially active but I hope Transistor will keep up the good work and keep this thread fun, clean and full of sacrifices over the next couple of weeks if I can stay away.

Before I go however I managed to get some footage of the night of Tonky... The subtitles unfortunately wont make it but I think you would not need them anyway.

Remember to have fun everyone =)

giphy.gif

Hahahaha loving it

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
Take with a grain of salt - and it's not anything worth a thread at the moment, for sure - but there'd the odd muttering on Twitter from some devs of "rumours" of GDC being cancelled. Could well just be people speculating pessimistically...

Could happen, because of the coronavirus epidemic.
The MWC (MobileWorldConference), a international trade fair for mobile phones, got also canceled a day ago.
Sony, Ericsson and some other, canceled their attendance because of the coronavirus already before that.

it isn't currently the time for international meetings.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
rumours that it will be cancelled, or rumours that they wonder if it might be (because of corona virus and MWC being cancelled)?

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Whilst what you say about compromises is correct, the games built specifically for next gen hardware are probably not ready for release until next year at the earliest.

Building engines and games take time. Remove halo CE from the mix, which launch games have really been anything more than graphically superior or larger previous gen games during the last two or three console launches?

Especially when you look at the differences between launch games and games that come two or three years later on the same hardware.

Why until next year the earliest ?
The two biggest jump of next gen are the CPU and SSD .
Something around that level of power could have been in dev skits for years by the time these consoles come out .
For eg spidey demo was showed off in april which mean they would have SSD in the devs kits since 2018.
More than that enough time to make engine changes or make a game around the SSD by the time consoles launch .

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
rumours that it will be cancelled, or rumours that they wonder if it might be (because of corona virus and MWC being cancelled)?

They talk about 'rumours' but whether what they're hearing is just idle chinwagging about the possibility, or something more concrete, is hard to disambiguate. Could well be idle chinwagging... or even people hearing about people cancelling their attendance at GDC, and then assuming the organizers might be assessing the situation also. We'll see in due course I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.