• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which team are you on?

• Double Team (1997)

• Team Walnut

• The A-Team

• Team "No One Can Stop Mr. Domino"

• Sports Team

• "I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel."

• Team Margarita

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xem

Oct 31, 2017
welp, that info about sony spending so much on cooling means to me that 40cu max is confirmed.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
There was some Japanese article posted on the other site saying that the github leak was the PS5 chip stress tested and with 12 CUs disabled (errors in the chip).

Doesn't really make sense as early Oberon/Ariel was linked to Navi 10 LITE.
But AMD literally said (somewhere: presser or post show interview) that the same optimizations will benefit & be available in RDNA too.
I must have missed that.

foamdino

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think the optimizations they (AMD) talked about when introducing Renoir should help with that. I assume them to be incorporated into the console SOCs already. Or more precisely: I hope so.

I agree with this, there are obviously still considerable optimisations available to AMD when comparing the first gen Navi with what has been revealed since

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think we'll not get a console over 500$. Think that's clear. Both MS and Sony won't do the same failure again. But IMO 500$ is still okay. It's not 2006 anymore. At this time 600$ and even 500$ for a technical device was extreme.

I don't know if we can say this yet, though. Has there been an massively successful $499 console? Didn't even the Pro launch at $399?

CosmicBolt

Self-Requested Ban
Oct 28, 2017
One thing to realize is that expensive cooling solution doesn't necessarily mean extremely higher clock speeds.

We absolutely have no idea what Sony's purpose is in using such expensive cooling.

Edit: extreme high clocks like 2GHz is not desirable for products like consoles for two reasons 1) higher TDP and 2) Poor yields.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
welp, that info about sony spending so much on cooling means to me that 40cu max is confirmed.
Possibly but not sure how you draw that conclusion. The PS4 Pro sounds like a jet engine becomes of how poor of a solution it is. This doesn't mean the clock rate will be higher because they are going for a more robust cooling solution.

Again, we don't have a clear picture yet.

MykhellMikado

Alt account
Banned
Jan 13, 2020
Someone is going to have to help me understand why everyone thinks the cooling system somehow pushed Sony to a much higher BOM.

The article literally says Sony spent a few dollars per unit vs less than a dollar. Even if it increased the BOM from $445 to $450 it means they either never planned on a sub $400 BoM console or the same parts in the PS5 are going to be subject to increased costs with any MS console.

IkarugaDE

Feb 3, 2020

I am having problems to believe that. Making very good cooling solutions isn't new and expensive. Like I said few pages before, there are several mobile workstations with a ordinary cooling solution which didn't had a high BOM. I can't believe Sony has trouble to with quality and pricing.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
$500 is £385 according to Siri. PS4 launched here at £350. I'm not seeing a massive difference. Anything £400 and I'm absolutely happy to pay that. I can't see anyone in the UK seeing that as expensive for what we're going to be getting. £450 is my upper limit before it starts feeling too expensive.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Its interesting w everything is confirmation of something these days.

Sony is probably kicking themselves right now; if hardware engineers were so common and cheap they probably would have saved themselves a fortune if they just came to resetera.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
$500 is £385 according to Siri. PS4 launched here at £350. I'm not seeing a massive difference. Anything £400 and I'm absolutely happy to pay that. I can't see anyone in the UK seeing that as expensive for what we're going to be getting. £450 is my upper limit before it starts feeling too expensive.
$500 would probably translate to £449 in 2020. Xbox One X was £449 in 2017, while the XB1 was £429 in 2013. PS4 Pro at $399 was £349.

mangochutney

Jun 11, 2018
US price does not have tax as it varies by state.

So $499 is £460 with that added on. And then you have cost of business differences to factor in as well.

The PS3 launched for £425 for context.

Because their BoM at that time wasn't 450.
Worry less about the actual figures, but what the figures represent and keep in mind Sony is a business whose objective is to make the most amount of money.

If the 'hardcore' is going to lap it up a console at $499 then why didn't Sony price the PS4 higher - because surely the hardcore would have lapped it up?

Instead of making a loss on every console they could have made a profit.

Let's say they still wanted to undercut MS - let's say $449. Apparently the hardcore would still buy it but all of a sudden they've taken nearly $500m extra revenue in the first couple of years.

But they didn't.

OP
OP
Transistor

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
The roster has been updated!

Also, I'm seeing some thinly veiled console wars over the last 10 pages or so. Cut it out, mmkay? Let's keep this fun.

Just remember the wise words from Bill S. Preston, Esq. and Ted "Theodore" Logan

94276-be-excellent-to-each-other-and-qgwr.gif

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
People don't talk about the biggest takeaway from that article?
No Ps5 exclusives either in the early days of the new console generation.

I can't see that being true. Sony have already said Bluepoint's game is PS5 only I believe, and no other WWS games after TLOU2 and GoT have been announced for PS4. I doubt Sony will suddenly announce multiple PS4 games for release this year/early next year and also it would discourage PS4 owners to upgrade at a fast pace per Jim Ryan.

Maybe the article is just talking about third-party? In which case d'oh!

chromatic9

Oct 25, 2017

You're forgetting the dreaded VAT which comes to £467 and a probable £450 price point.
PS4 was 400 usd which was around £280-300, add in the VAT makes it £350 back then.

XBO was $499, 499 euro and £430. With a slightly weaker pound it will be £450-70 including VAT.

UK/Europe has ~20% VAT included in the price while US charge it afterwards, so it will be $399 plus tax over there, which can be around 2-7%

Last edited:

Hellshy

Nov 5, 2017
I can't see that being true. Sony have already said Bluepoint's game is PS5 only I believe, and no other WWS games after TLOU2 and GoT have been announced for PS4. I doubt Sony will suddenly announce multiple PS4 games for release this year/early next year and also it would discourage PS4 owners to upgrade at a fast pace per Jim Ryan.

Yeah Sony will have exclusives.

After reading that "report" I couldn't help but feel like most of the info was just gathered from previous rumors and statements made by sony during their financial call. Only thing that didnt seem new was the dram shortage. I personally question hoe much real investigative work went into this report.

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
You know it won't translate like that in Sterling. It was only £50 lower in 2013 and the exchange rate is a lot worse in 2020 due to brexit. It will be £450. Also never forget to add taxes when calculating. $500 is really $600 when a 20% tax is added.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017

After reading that "report" I couldn't help but feel like most of the info was just gathered from previous rumors and statements made by sony during their financial call. Only thing that didnt seem new was the dram shortage. I personally question hoe much real investigative work went into this report.

It reads to me like the author is as frustrated as us!

Deleted member 2379

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Bloomberg isn't a Forbes contributor. Don't try and discredit a reporter just because the information doesn't match what you would like to hear.

Takashi is a well regarded tech journalist based in Japan who has been covering asian tech companies for the WSJ for years. He just left the WSJ at year end to join Bloomberg

Dec 10, 2019

Sure, but when are those games going to be released?
Sony didn't talk about any next gen games yet at all.
They won't be at E3. So they reveal launch exclusives 3 months before the console launch?
We don't even have rumors about Ps5 exclusive games. The console will launch in 9 months.

Nov 11, 2017
Github leak is looking more and more legit imo.
Bloomberg isn't a Forbes contributor. Don't try and discredit a reporter just because the information doesn't match what you would like to hear.

Takashi is a well regarded tech journalist based in Japan who has been covering asian tech companies for the WSJ for years. He just left the WSJ at year end to join Bloomberg
Yeah I don't get why we have to try and discredit everything, Bloomberg has a well sourced and proven track record.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
OT12 - Information De
Could Cerny really have lost the design battle? I don't want to believe it yet, but yeah, maybe.
The notion that because one product has maybe 20% less power is losing 'the design battle'. If that was the case the original Xbox would be the best designed console, for it's time, of all time. This clearly isn't the case.

darthpaxton

Jun 20, 2018
@ZhugeEX places XSX build cost to be $460-520. He is taking into context the increased prices, same as Sony has seen. He also seems to imply that we should not expect to see less than we shouldn't expect to see consoles at $399 price tag.
He wrote that initial $460-$520 prediction range in December, so I don't think that was taking into account the increased prices.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Both Sony and MS better hurry with production cause there is chance they will be royally fucked if coronavirus shutdown makes certain parts even more scarce.

Hellshy

Nov 5, 2017

Not trying to discredit anyone and I have zero issue with what I heard. I was just pointing out that many rumors already pointed to most of these things so yes when I read the report it felt like it was just grabbed from other reports and rumors regardless of how creditable it is. I read it late last night but I'll re read it again since I dont remember seeing many personal sources .

Actually the dram shortage concerns me a bit but not really.

Edit: another reason I felt that way is that he states no exclusives when sony themselves have said there will be exclusives. Bluepoints game is supposed to be ps5 exclusive for example. If you can get that wrong what else can you get wrong?

Decade_2050

May 19, 2019
" Scarce components have pushed the manufacturing costs for Sony Corp.'s next PlayStation to around $450 per unit "
This suggests that the original expected build cost was cheaper .

My only question is how they completed a BOM on a console where we can't even tell if it has a proprietary PS screw .

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
Sure, but when are those games going to be released?
Sony didn't talk about any next gen games yet at all.
They won't be at E3. So they reveal launch exclusives 3 months before the console launch?
We don't even have rumors about Ps5 exclusive games. The console will launch in 9 months.

I really can't say what they're doing right now. This long a silence doesn't feel right (for Sony) and clearly everyone including journalists and analysts are starting to grumble about it now.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
I think these threads wil just be a whole lot more peaceful if we all just agree that the PS5 is 8-9TF.

This obviously at the core of every kinda console warring that comes into these threads.

At worst they are right and the PS5 is 8-9TF... or at best they are wrong and the PS5 ends u being more powerful.

Jayembi

Jun 19, 2019
If the XSX is a bit more expensive, it makes sense to be more powerful. That doesn't mean that the gap is too significant, since it's exaggerated here. They will surely be close if the production cost is similar. And if not, it's because they are targeting different potential customers.

Everyone who thinks that Sony or MS are doomed are fanboys who have trouble seeing reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.