• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which team are you on?

• Double Team (1997)

• Team Walnut

• The A-Team

• Team "No One Can Stop Mr. Domino"

• Sports Team

• "I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel."

• Team Margarita

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
This is unnecessarily toxic I think; Brad covers all things MS and is not beholden to this thread to provide info on next-gen gaming. I get your frustration with the lack of information, but taking it out on folks who generally provide good information is a bad path IMO.

News was about MS Spring Hardware event, not Xbox BTW.
Dude.. chill the fuzz out lol
No knock on the dude directly, I am more talking about stuff like that in this thread. Or anyone talking about next-gen period on the media or even in threads like these.

I am perfectly ok with the lack of information, I don't mind waiting. Wha I have developed a strong hate for are all the "leaks" or those people hinting at knowing things that they can't say. If you can't say what you know? then don't tell me you know something, to begin with.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Relax, Cyborg.

I'm sure Sony will launch a successful PS5 and in 10 months time you won't even remember all the doom and gloom in this thread; regardless of what the TFLOPs end up being.

Yep. Not to mention that if things were going so badly, they wouldn't have done the Wired articles and discussed the console at CES. We would be experiencing actual silence, not this "we know way more about PS5 than we did about PS4 and haven't even hit the anniversary of the PS4 reveal" 'silence'.

SgtCobra

Oct 25, 2017
The ultimate irony is that this whole forum has been constantly whining that the PS4 and Pro sound like jet engines, but now that we have word that PS5 is using a more expensive and elaborate cooling solution most likely to address these complaints and everyone goes, "This confirms Github was true and Sony is building a weaker machine!"
Lmao you know how these people roll

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
I'm wondering how aggressive Sony/MS will be on producing lots of units at these prices; last gen they produced many times more than any other gen but they also weren't heavy loss leaders.

MS in particular with their cross-gen approach and lack of success internationally compared to Sony can maybe focus on their key markets and not try to lose too much money up front.

LordBlodgett

Jan 10, 2020
a $60 BOM difference can quickly be a $100 retail diference. Xsx could be a $600 landed cost console. Would MS sell it for that as a halo power brand and use Lockhart as e lower price volume seller? Or eat $100 per unit to get to $499?
Yeah, but just comparing last gen where PS4 had $381 BOM and sold for $399, and Xbox had $471 BOM (with Kinect) and sold for $499, I doubt that they would go so much higher. If Zhuge says Xbox top end BOM is around $520 I can't see them pushing that price past $549. Things have to really get bad in the supply chain for them to shoot for a $599 price I think.....

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So we are back to PS5 doom and gloom?
i blame sony tbh. their pr has been atrocious so far. they have been needlessly secretive for over two years now while cancelling conferences left and right. this was bound to happen.

say what you will about MS, but they have shown that they are confident in their product. they have been openly talking about setting a bar for two years now. they have shown the console. they have talked about the specs in more detail. they ooze of confidence.

sony is acting like the student who doesnt want to turn in his homework or do his presentation because he knows he half assed it. if you are not confident in your product, it shows. revealing logos instead of meaningful specs just screams insecurity to me. they have released two wired articles talking about the hardware without actually mentioning the specs. No mention of tflops, cpu clockspeeds, ssd speeds, ram bandwidth or anything. its like if sony had two articles for the ps4 in 2012 where they confirmed they had an amd gpu, a jaguar cpu, some ram and a hdd. ok, so your console has things that make up a console... brilliant!

the longer sony holds off, the worse its going to get. wait until arthur gies and tom warren start writing articles about sony. its just a fucking toy. they need to stop treating it like a state secret.

LordBlodgett

Jan 10, 2020
I seem to recall that Microsoft ended production of previous models of consoles fairly quickly after the next gen started, I suspect it will be the same this time, possibly even faster than before in order to avoid confusion between boxes.

And I personally think it would be a mistake from a marketing perspective to play some games at 4K but most at 1080p. Just sell the HD box and UHD box, the messaging is much simpler, plus some mid-gen boosts could be included, such as 60FPS in Forza Horizon.
I would actually bet on them ending production much faster than last gen if they are launching with Lockhart. Last time the Xbox 360 E model was around for a long time as a sub $200 console option. This time if they launch with Lockhart they will just make that the cheap console option and discount off all remaining Xbox Ones....

KOHIPEET

Oct 29, 2017
i blame sony tbh. their pr has been atrocious so far. they have been needlessly secretive for over two years now while cancelling conferences left and right. this was bound to happen.

say what you will about MS, but they have shown that they are confident in their product. they have been openly talking about setting a bar for two years now. they have shown the console. they have talked about the specs in more detail. they ooze of confidence.

sony is acting like the student who doesnt want to turn in his homework or do his presentation because he knows he half assed it. if you are not confident in your product, it shows. revealing logos instead of meaningful specs just screams insecurity to me. they have released two wired articles talking about the hardware without actually mentioning the specs. No mention of tflops, cpu clockspeeds, ssd speeds, ram bandwidth or anything. its like if sony had two articles for the ps4 in 2012 where they confirmed they had an amd gpu, a jaguar cpu, some ram and a hdd. ok, so your console has things that make up a console... brilliant!

the longer sony holds off, the worse its going to get. wait until arthur gies and tom warren start writing articles about sony. its just a fucking toy. they need to stop treating it like a state secret.
Well said. Couldn't agree more. Sony's approach does not inspire confidence, that's for certain.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017

I have to agree with this. Sony's acting like a team ahead in the 4th quarter desperately trying not to lose instead of going out there to win. At the very least, given what is said in that Bloomberg article, some within Sony see being endlessly secretive is becoming unproductive.

LordBlodgett

Jan 10, 2020
It does seem like there is an opportunity for Microsoft to really put the squeeze on Sony here if they're willing to eat a loss to do so. Price XSX at $399 and XSS at $249 and it becomes highly unlikely that Sony will be able to undercut your higher-end machine, leaving XSS at a very attractive price for consumers.

Probably not all that likely to actually happen, but it would make life very tough for Sony if Microsoft were to do so.
How many Billions are Microsoft prepared to lose? Those prices would mean several Billion at least on consoles, more if they sold well......

klik

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
I wonder when will article "This is gonna be the last console generation" come out. Preferably by Michael Patcher

Jan 20, 2019

I mean, if we listen to you by this time Sony whould be bankrup with all the doom and gloom. It is just a toy, so why do you need to know all of that stuff if you cant ven pre order?

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have to agree with this. Sony's acting like a team ahead in the 4th quarter desperately trying not to lose instead of going out there to win.

yep! thats exactly what i was trying to say.

And yeah, the fact that sony execs are now leaking stuff behind the scenes means they arent happy with the direction sony has taken. sony has always run a tight ship. these execs have been part of the company for 30-40 years and we have never had an article like this from inside sony.

TimStone

Banned
Jan 28, 2020
I really, really would like to know how you connected one (Bloomberg) with the other (GitHub).

It's not hard to understand really. Sony was aiming for $399 for the retail price of the PS5, but costs of parts pushed them over to $450.
Also, the fact that they are spending more money on cooling suggests a much higher clock rate of 2 Ghz as well as a much higher power draw.

That essentially means that the Github leak of 9,216 TF would be ballpark.

It's not rocket science... ;-p

I just see the evidence piling up that this is what Sony has been aiming for all along because of cost, but it cost them more than they expected.

Remember: They have to design these consoles years ago, so prices flux over time and it's going to cost them more now as we get a clearer picture before launch.

MotiD

Oct 26, 2017

Do you realize Microsoft has yet to officially reveal any of this information?

LordBlodgett

Jan 10, 2020
Hope none of them will cut awsome futures due to these reports. Or power down the console.
I have a feeling this is going to fuck everything up.
Too late for them to "cut down" the console at this point. Most parts have already been confirmed and are prepping for mass production in less than 3 months. Right now last minute changes can be made to certain parts, but not anything drastic. I suppose they might be able to make cuts to RAM or SSD, depending on where they are with a final motherboard or whether the parts are modular or not (like if the NVME SSD is onboard or not)

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, if we listen to you by this time Sony whould be bankrup with all the doom and gloom. It is just a toy, so why do you need to know all of that stuff if you cant ven pre order?
not sure where this is coming from, if you listened to me, you would be team 14 tflops right now.

as for why i NEED to know 8 months in advance? why do we need era or this thread? lets just shut down this thread until the day of the launch. lets shut down era and only have threads about games AFTER they get reviewed. what kind of logic is this?

clearly, bloomberg thought this was worth talking about. clearly sony sources that talked to this journalist felt its time to talk about their concerns. what up with the gatekeeping?

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017

Sony needs some wake up call. I really dislike the way they have been doing things since 2019 and I think that the communication strategy that they since then is absolute dog shit.

TRios Zen

Oct 25, 2017
I dont understand why a 9.2 TF PS5 = gloom and doom. Given their Brand recognition and global presence, a competitively priced 9.2TF PS5 sells out at launch and beyond.

IF Github turns out wrong (dated information), then all the better. But 9.2 TF, does not mean doom for Sony I think.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Do you realize Microsoft has yet to officially reveal any of this information?
sure, other than the dozens of interviews he's given where hes specifically talked about 2x the power of the x1x and wanting to set the bar for performance in a game console.

not to mention, releasing a picture of their apu and the console both of which indirectly confirm his 12 tflops target.

Deleted member 10747

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
While i don't agree with AegonSnake, Your take is weird as hell.

Who cares if you can pre-order or not? We, in this thread, are the hardcore and want to know the ins and outs. Specs, design, games. If we would take your "advice". Why have a thread about next gen en talk about it? It's just a toy, stop wanting to know more about the products you are interested in.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if this was the first of many more information kibbles.

yep! thats exactly what i was trying to say.

And yeah, the fact that sony execs are now leaking stuff behind the scenes means they arent happy with the direction sony has taken. sony has always run a tight ship. these execs have been part of the company for 30-40 years and we have never had an article like this from inside sony.

Yes the execs breaking NDA is a bit worrisome. There does appear to be a bit of an internal rift.

LordBlodgett

Jan 10, 2020
I would warn that user not to make the same extrapolation.

It is an indication that they have spent more on cooling. Now that likely indicates that there is more power dissipated as heat.

But it doesn't give us a GPU clock.
I agree with this. We know that Microsoft has built a beefy chip just based on size of die alone, but they also built a tower to cool it. Even though they are likely going "wide" with more CU and lower clocks (nothing close to 2 GHZ) they still needed a beefy case that can fit decent cooling. Just because PS5 is spending more on cooling doesn't tell us anything about whether they are going wide, or taller with higher clocks....

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dont understand why a 9.2 TF PS5 = gloom and doom. Given their Brand recognition and global presence, a competitively priced 9.2TF PS5 sells out at launch and beyond.

IF Github turns out wrong (dated information), then all the better. But 9.2 TF, does not mean doom for Sony I think.
i am not a sony fan because they sell a hundred million consoles every gen. the wii sold a 100 million consoles, it didnt do anything for me as a gamer.

i am a sony fan because i like their internal studios who make games i like to play. a 9.2 tflops console will hold back their ambition and i dont want that. not to mention, it will hold back an entire generation just like the x1 did this gen.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
i am not a sony fan because they sell a hundred million consoles every gen. the wii sold a 100 million consoles, it didnt do anything for me as a gamer.

i am a sony fan because i like their internal studios who make games i like to play. a 9.2 tflops console will hold back their ambition and i dont want that. not to mention, it will hold back an entire generation just like the x1 did this gen.

Well... ah fuck it.

Deusmico

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

If they planned 9.2 to be 399 and they end up at 499 vs a 12tf xbx, something went wrong

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020
How many Billions are Microsoft prepared to lose? Those prices would mean several Billion at least on consoles, more if they sold well......

It certainly would mean losing a lot, and there's zero indication that Microsoft are willing to do so, but considering the amount of money Microsoft is sitting on, it's certainly not impossible. It'd certainly be a ballsy move.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017

Sony has talked more about features while MS has talked mostly about specs. So if you only care about TF numbers then I can see why you'd be disappointed but I care more about the features and how that will impact the user experience and Sony is ahead of MS in that respect. Games will look great regardless.

Kibbles

Oct 25, 2017
Sony has talked more about features while MS has talked mostly about specs. So if you only care about TF numbers then I can see why you'd be disappointed but I care more about the features and how that will impact the user experience and Sony is ahead of MS in that respect. Games will look great regardless.
Like what features? They've only talked about loading times afaik

Jan 20, 2019
not sure where this is coming from, if you listened to me, you would be team 14 tflops right now.

as for why i NEED to know 8 months in advance? why do we need era or this thread? lets just shut down this thread until the day of the launch. lets shut down era and only have threads about games AFTER they get reviewed. what kind of logic is this?

clearly, bloomberg thought this was worth talking about. clearly sony sources that talked to this journalist felt its time to talk about their concerns. what up with the gatekeeping?

Im not gatekeeping you, but is impossible to have a discuss with you because the end result is always the same.

While i don't agree with AegonSnake, Your take is weird as hell.

Who cares if you can pre-order or not? We, in this thread, are the hardcore and want to know the ins and outs. Specs, design, games. If we would take your "advice". Why have a thread about next gen en talk about it? It's just a toy, stop wanting to know more about the products you are interested in.

It is one thing to want to know more about the product and another thing to have a meltdown over it, it is not the first time he has one.

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
Our Era sales expert Welfare:

DrKeo you also agree with this i think?
Lockhart price will have huge influence on PS5 price ,no question about that.

Yes, this is exactly what I've been saying for months. IMO the best case scenario for MS will be a 499$ PS5 which means a 499$ XSX (because they can't afford being more expensive) and a 349$ Lockheart. If Sony goes with 399$, MS is in trouble. They will have to take a huge lose and cancel Lockheart.
Yes I agree it is a large range, and yes, the XSX will be impacted in the same way. The XSX could be anywhere from $499-$549. I don't see it any cheaper.
If Sony goes for 399$, MS will have to do the same.
High clock would affect yields, for sure. Maybe another reason the BOM is at the point it is.
#speculation
Higher clocks can be achieved with a given device with better cooling, up to a certain point.
If Sony went with a high quality cooling solution, they might have had some headroom, just like MS had when they gave the Xbox One extra 7% clocks before launch. It also fits the 1.8Ghz leak which was followed by 2Ghz. It's also important to remember that AMD will have Navi refresh this year so we might see higher than 2Ghz clocks which will give us a new perspective on how Navi handles higher clock speeds.

Yes. At the very least, they're like for like comparable to BOMs from last gen. So PS5 is 70 more expensive than PS4, and XSX is 70-130 more expensive than Xbox One, after subtracting out Kinect costs.

I would say $30-40 is SSD difference to HDD. The rest is APU. RAM is probably flat.
I totally agree, the main cost difference will be the APU and SSD.
my guess would be Samsung. I could see sony landing a pretty good deal for RAM and storage from them.

True, but there isn't anything out there that falls in line with what we are supposedly receiving.

Furthermore, the PCIe 4 is more about the APU, followed by the SSD controller. NAND flash is just NAND flash.

So the question is, where is sony getting their controller from, and where are they getting their NAND flash chips from? They don't have to be from the same place. Now how much does 1TB worth of NAND flash cost? how much does controller with DRAM cost? Thes are things we should be looking at if we really wanna narrow down the cost of a storage solution, and this would be so much easier if sony were just going to use some off the shelf SSD solution. Which in truth I believe it would be ultimately more expensive to attain what they are trying to do.
SSDs that have a Phison 16E controller are over 250$ per 1TB. If XSX has a Phison 19, it will be cheaper but we are fooling ourselves if we keep repeating the "a 1TB SSD is just 100$" mantra.

Last edited:

TRios Zen

Oct 25, 2017

SO you are categorizing "doom and gloom" as, Sony games will not be as good as they could be, not as Sony will not do well in the market?

Fair enough, I still would disagree as I'm sure when I'm playing some future PS5 game I will not be thinking about how much better if could be with more power, but I respect your right to do so (of course a moot point if 9.2 does not happen)

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes the execs breaking NDA is a bit worrisome. There does appear to be a bit of an internal rift.
I talked about this before, but Andrew House left in 2017. Then Shawn Layden in 2018. Then their CEO got replaced by Jim Ryan. And finally Shu got replaced late last year. These guys have been with the company since the beginning of playstation. So many personal changes so fast right at the top is never a good look. At the very least, it brings down the morale and thats exactly what seems to be happening. It will be interesting to see/read about it a decade from now. like wtf happened. why would you replace Andrew House after he made the PS4 a massive success. why replace Shu after he had a decade where his games won like 4 goty awards.
If they planned 9.2 to be 399 and they end up at 499 vs a 12tf xbx, something went wrong
well, this was the worst case scenario and why no sane person here believed the github 2.0 ghz leaks. there was no way that design was going to be power efficient or cost efficient. it was always going to cost the same as the wide and slow design by MS. i still refuse to believe cerny would design something that bad.

Cth

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
How feasible would it be for Microsoft to utilize a trade-in program?

Similar to how Samsung does trade-ins towards new models and that seems to be the way the industry is moving (faster mid-gen refreshes).

Would it be a quick way to recoup some costs and expand data centers quickly? On the same note, when Gamestop eventually goes under and presuming their assets can be purchased considerably lower, would it make sense for them to invest to gain access to a number of consoles they can utilize in the same fashion? I realize buying their assets solely for console blades isn't a good investment but I'm presuming it'd be a way to expand their store presence, etc as well.

I'm just wondering since the company seemed open to the idea previously (financing through a third party) how feasible either of the two scenarios could be.

Oct 27, 2017
Another day, more people losing their minds...

Just wait for the damn reveal. Don't worry so much people...the machines will be priced appropriately for what they are.

If there was for some reason a 3+ TF gap in power which translated to a significant real-world performance differential, you can expect the lower powered console to be priced around $50 to $100 cheaper than the more powerful console. More than likely however, both PS5 and XSX will be nearly identical performance-wise and priced identically.

Status
Not open for further replies.