• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which team are you on?

• Double Team (1997)

• Team Walnut

• The A-Team

• Team "No One Can Stop Mr. Domino"

• Sports Team

• "I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel."

• Team Margarita

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
MS has revealed the XSX is a cool video at E3 and shown the console at the Game Awards. Spencer is out there talking about how excited he is about it.

Sony are being so weird about it.

This thing is supposed to be out in 10 months. And we know what the logo looks like. That's it.

Feb reveal would have been fine, but it looks like we aren't even getting that. So PS5 is some kind of secret mystery that us, as consumers, are not allowed to know about.

The thing is coming out in 10 months, if they can't show it off now then they're in major trouble and it isn't coming out this year. If it is on track for holiday 2020 then there is no reason they can't show us SOMETHING.

Sony are playing the perfect hype game. Every next gen article is about PS5. Can't believe people think they are mismanaging it.

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
MS has revealed the XSX is a cool video at E3 and shown the console at the Game Awards. Spencer is out there talking about how excited he is about it.

This thing is supposed to be out in 10 months. And we know what the logo looks like. That's it.

Feb reveal would have been fine, but it looks like we aren't even getting that. So PS5 is some kind of secret mystery that us, as consumers, are not allowed to know about.

The thing is coming out in 10 months, if they can't show it off now then they're in major trouble and it isn't coming out this year. If it is on track for holiday 2020 then there is no reason they can't show us SOMETHING.

If we get nothing by the end of Feb I think the fans have every reason to be pissed at Sony.

What difference does it make? If it is now or in May?

Deleted member 10747

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you read this thread all the time that's pretty obvious he does. Lol
The crazy thing is..... Some of the usernames are so familiar since they are from the old place. You would think 7 years would be enough to grow up a bit....Sadly they are still the same. lol The way of the warrior will never die ;P

Sony are playing the perfect hype game. Every next gen article is about PS5. Can't believe people think they are mismanaging it.
For me I'm already over the hype...If they don't wow me, i am going to be far more critical than i would be if i was hyped....

Double edge sword strikes again :D

PS. I don't think they are mismanaging it. Just that they are trying to be a tease for a bit too long.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Assuming current BOM speculation being correct and withstanding:

Best case- USD 450 (449.99 for those who like being psychologically manipulated)
VVorst case- USD 500 (499.99)

metalgear89

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

If we get nothing by the end of Feb I think the fans have every reason to be pissed at Sony.
You as the consumer get zero value knowing this early, people have serious issues if they get so bothered about a console reveal. I highly doubt most people outside gaming forums give a shit about them not revealing the ps5.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Snake, you are overreacting way too hard, bruh. You guys were setting yourselves up for failure when you guys thought they show something at CES 2020. Like this is why you responded like this. Microsoft did the exact same opposite seven years ago because they were good with the gamers and Sony was making a strong comeback. They had to strike first and lol @ not being confident in your product. Please.
i will be the first to admit that i have a penchant for overreacting, but thats just my posting style im afraid. ;p

anyway, see Doctor's post below. he said what i was going to say perfectly.

as for the bit about not being confident. the article is literally about how they are waiting to see what MS does because they arent confident. im not making that up. that part is directly from sony.

senpai

Oct 28, 2017

jfnha.jpg

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
What difference does it make? If it is now or in May?

I'm gonna get Sega Saturn PTSD where they stealth drop the console...

I just think it's so stupid to have the PS5 be this "known secret". Maybe it does build hype, I dunno, but as a follower of games it's getting frustrating. I think there are ways to tease and hype things, purposefully holding back (especially when a competitor is showing stuff off) has definitely gone beyond anticipation building into frustration for me.

Between that and the lack of leaks. I mean the games for these things are WELL into development, DICE has already happened and we have... nothing.

Silencerx98

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hype is dying slowly. People are still waiting for some news from Sony.
Oh, please, dying slowly. All Sony has to do is drop a date on the reveal event and this thread will jump 50+ pages overnight and social media will be filled with it. You people are just overreacting because you got nothing else to keep you preoccupied while we wait for info

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
You as the consumer get zero value knowing this early, people have serious issues if they get so bothered about a console reveal. I highly doubt most people outside gaming forums give a shit about them not revealing the ps5.

Heck, I am enthusiast and people reacting like how Snake and etc makes me hope Sony holds out longer. They act like we will know nothing and the console will drop lol.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
Yep. Not to mention that if things were going so badly, they wouldn't have done the Wired articles and discussed the console at CES. We would be experiencing actual silence, not this "we know way more about PS5 than we did about PS4 and haven't even hit the anniversary of the PS4 reveal" 'silence'.

I think the anxiety about a console reveal is just people being too invested. At the end of the day, technical specs, TFs and the stuff people soil their pants over in this thread aren't going to mean anything when next-gen games start being revealed and people start to remember that we buy consoles to play games and not to argue about which box has the most fictional theoretical wooga-pops.

Sorry :)
Cant shake the feeling a lot is happening behind the scenes and its definitely not going according to plan.

You realise you're getting all anxious and worked up over what amounts to broadly baseless speculation?

That DRAM and NAND is suffering scarcity and pricing issues isn't a new thing. It's an issue that has persisted for most of this gen (as well as most of last gen). These are often short term issues that will resolve themselves over time as the market stabilises.

The impact on next-gen consoles will be immaterial, as in the end it will come down to cost versus retail price, which will arise as a result of a financial decision within Sony/MS about how much cost to eat and for how long.

The key fact to bear in mind, is that the non-game royalty revenues for BOTH Sony and MS this gen have been exponentially higher than any previous gen. So if there ever was a time in which Sony and MS would be prepared to eat heavy costs to deliver a box gamers can delight in, it would be now.

A lot of the kerfuffle from top Sony execs in the Bloomberg article you see, is often the same kinda stuff you see in every huge multinational company. There are ALWAYS internal forces at odds with one another in every large corporation, and Playstation, despite their success this gen is no different. On the other hand, unlike MS last gen, PS and Mark Cerny have proven their ability to navigate all the internal corporate politicking to deliver a box they intend to do so.

Meanwhile, on the MS side, it all seems more rosy, because the management structure has been adapted to ensure the Xbox chief has a direct line of reporting to the entire company CEO. So buffering them from many of the internal resistances Xbox would have met last gen. But that doesn't mean the same component scarcity and pricing issues won't affect them; regardless of whatever "confidence" people seem to think they are projecting... those issues are market wide.

i blame sony tbh. their pr has been atrocious so far. they have been needlessly secretive for over two years now while cancelling conferences left and right. this was bound to happen.

say what you will about MS, but they have shown that they are confident in their product. they have been openly talking about setting a bar for two years now. they have shown the console. they have talked about the specs in more detail. they ooze of confidence.

sony is acting like the student who doesnt want to turn in his homework or do his presentation because he knows he half assed it. if you are not confident in your product, it shows. revealing logos instead of meaningful specs just screams insecurity to me. they have released two wired articles talking about the hardware without actually mentioning the specs. No mention of tflops, cpu clockspeeds, ssd speeds, ram bandwidth or anything. its like if sony had two articles for the ps4 in 2012 where they confirmed they had an amd gpu, a jaguar cpu, some ram and a hdd. ok, so your console has things that make up a console... brilliant!

the longer sony holds off, the worse its going to get. wait until arthur gies and tom warren start writing articles about sony. its just a fucking toy. they need to stop treating it like a state secret.

This is quite a take Aegon.

I do think that perspectives like this will end up appearing hilariously over the top when all is said and done.

Far too often, fans who watch the media with a hawkish eye for next-gen news, often begin to start building a narrative from scraps of info. they've garnered which in reality are almost entirely unrelated.

Honest question: if we knew everything about the new Xbox(es), PS5, and the games for both that will be available this year, including gameplay video, would that make the wait for their holiday launch easier, harder, or not change anything? Explain your reasoning if possible.

Absolutely harder. It would ruin the anticipation, as after a few months, following the initial hype of the reveal event, everything would die down and people would start to pick apart every scrap of info and game demo, leveraging them to push their own doom and gloom narratives.

The videogame media, plus internet influencers, are the absolute worst for this, as it's always the worst and most outrageous rumours and speculation that get the most clicks.

We live in a clickbait society, and so it's much harder for companies like Sony and MS to control messaging when so much gets distorted so quickly for shits and giggles (and YouTube subs).

I'm not so sure going by the IHS BOM estimates for PS4 ($381 inc manufacturing but not retail cut or marketing) but still came in at $399.
[...]

This.

Deleted member 35631

Banned
Dec 8, 2017

This is BS. Xbox One was revealed in May 2013 for the first time. Xbox 360 was revealed at E3 in June 2005. Both released the same year 5-6 months later.

You are saying that because you WANT to know about the PS5 NOW. Not because Sony is not doing a good job, or because they are in trouble. What makes you think that because Sony doesn't comply to people's demand on their product they are in trouble?

People need to have patience! Some day you will wake up in the morning and there will be news all over the internet about when the PS5 will be revealed. Then, that date will come and we'll all know everything about it! THEN, you'll have it and play with it! Come on! if it's 10 months until you buy it, why can't people just wait a little longer! In fact, I guarantee, that we will know EVERYTHING about the PS5 and Xbox Series X by June. So that's just 4 months! FOUR!

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Hmm. I think TV TV, second screen experiences, and the BOM vs. PS360 are pretty obvious signs among many that console makers were looking to avert risk and broaden out beyond the classic "dedicated" box.

I think this time they are much more convinced that the dedicated box is still a pretty big deal, hence why they are comparatively "splurging" on them hardware wise.
Technically... that was all MS. MS was the one hat felt yu just needed more than a dedicated gaming console. And that's what came back and bit them in the ass.

After the PS3, sony realized that all you need is the best-dedicated gaming console you could make, at launch, there were even lots of media-related features the PS4 didn't have (and still lack) compared to the PS3. And that is how they won.

Now, MS is literally throwing the kitchen sink at it. Trying to make the most powerful dedicated gaming console, a more affordable gaming console and a service that means you don't even need a gaming console.

LordBlodgett

Jan 10, 2020

Sony is the company that least needs to do the $399 console right now. I'm really not sure why they would look at a $450 BOM and say "hmmm we should really sell this system for $399 and eat $100 loss per console". If anyone is going to be willing to eat cost it is going to be the one who is behind and wants people to make the switch. Honestly I think both Sony and Microsoft are going to try to take minimal losses, but I would bet that Microsoft will be more willing to eat losses if it means not giving up even more ground in sales.

MrPink

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I'm not sure I understand the panic over lack of information in mid February. This has been unusual in the sense that Sony provided some minor but key details within the past 8-9 months while MS unusually revealed some Series X details in December. But in general, revealing 10 months early hasn't always been some kind of assured thing.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts

Can't and won't are two very different things.

But answer this.... outside us being eager for information. Why do they need to show anything now, next month or even in April? For something that is coming out in November?

Give people time to save their money?

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
This is BS. Xbox One was revealed in May 2013 for the first time. Xbox 360 was revealed at E3 in June 2005. Both released the same year 5-6 months later.

You are saying that because you WANT to know about the PS5 NOW. Not because Sony is not doing a good job, or because they are in trouble. What makes you think that because Sony doesn't comply to people's demand on their product they are in trouble?

People need to have patience! Some day you will wake up in the morning and there will be news all over the internet about when the PS5 will be revealed. Then, that date will come and we'll all know everything about it! THEN, you'll have it and play with it! Come on! if it's 10 months until you buy it, why can't people just wait a little longer! In fact, I guarantee, that we will know EVERYTHING about the PS5 and Xbox Series X by June. So that's just 4 months! FOUR!

Maybe you're right, but I think they are doing a bad job of presenting the PS5. My issue is not that we don't know anything, but the way information is being disseminated is really rather bizarre with the random WIRED articles.

MS having that video at E3 and then the console reveal at the Game Awards is much, much better than what Sony are doing. Which is part of what I think Aegon is getting at with the "cagey student" analogy. Either show the PS5 and talk about it properly or don't at all until you are ready to do so. Random articles on websites are not, for my money, a particularly good way to reveal a console or build hype.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did it?
I thought it was from people with knowledge of the situation, sounds like it could be from some of the internet Experts or suppliers.
a lot of the stuff referenced (BOM, response to MS, and release plans) felt like exec level info that suppliers wouldnt have access to.

This is quite a take Aegon.

I do think that perspectives like this will end up appearing hilariously over the top when all is said and done.

lol haha. i will gladly take the L if this turns out to be a big old nothing burger.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland

I would say 50-70% of the cost of a modern console is tied to modern manufacturing nodes (APU, RAM, NAND, IO, Wifi/BT radios). Those nodes are no longer cost reducing. The age of the rapidly reduced console MSRP is over.

The positive to this is increased assurance as a consumer that there's never a bad time to buy.

LordBlodgett

Jan 10, 2020
To me the $399 dream still on the table if they think this is a short term problem .
If they think prices will drop in a few months they can sell at $399 while limting the number of consoles for a short while and eat the lost for a few months.
This makes no business sense at all though. No matter what if you don't completely botch your launch you will sell through all of your launch Window consoles at full price. Even last gen when Microsoft was $100 more and did everything they could to shoot themselves in the foot they still were only a little bit behind PS4 sales during the launch window. I think the only way they end up at $399 is if they feel forced to by Microsoft (Microsoft prices that low, or the Xbox is more powerful, etc....)

ppn7

May 4, 2019
Ok so here what I start to think :

Sony can't get a BoM or retail price under 450$ ans they have the less powerful console 9TF.

They know XSX is more powerful but also higher price BoM/retail. Not a lot but higher so.

Sony can't show the PS5 because they don't what to show a less powerful than the XSX without knowing the XSX price.

And here we are waiting eternally for some news we never get. Because MS is also waiting for the PS5 specs.

I'm 90% sure now the PS5 is less powerful than the XSX

metalgear89

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This makes no business sense at all though. No matter what if you don't completely botch your launch you will sell through all of your launch Window consoles at full price. Even last gen when Microsoft was $100 more and did everything they could to shoot themselves in the foot they still were only a little bit behind PS4 sales during the launch window. I think the only way they end up at $399 is if they feel forced to by Microsoft (Microsoft prices that low, or the Xbox is more powerful, etc....)
They would win mindshare like they did with the ps4 although not as much as xbox screwed up, probably won't be a huge effect in the initial launch but would make a difference in the months after.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Yeah I'm not sure I understand the panic over lack of information in mid February. This has been unusual in the sense that Sony provided some minor but key details within the past 8-9 months while MS unusually revealed some Series X details in December. But in general, revealing 10 months early hasn't always been some kind of assured thing.
What's funny about these things is that people have a very selective memory of things.

PS2 was revealed 6 months before its release.

PS3 was revealed almost 18 months before its release, and yet hen it was released they still weren't "ready".

XB360 was revealed 5 months before its release. XB1 6 months.

The PS4 9 months before its release.

And somehow, not hearing anything from sony now somehow means there is something wrong? I don't get it. I mean I am eager for news too, but I understand that its not something they have to do right now. If we get to July and still hear nothing... then we can start getting worried.

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
This feels like the same thing that happened last launch were everyone was saying that Sony was dead and were going to be third place because of the strength of Xbox and their giant warchest. Can people just relax we will get news at some point soon I am sure.

Aug 26, 2019
What if it's not the hardware that's holding up the reveal, but the software? Perhaps Sony wants to reveal the PS5 with an E3 2016-like 1st Party blowout (since the last big 1st party game they announced was GoT in 2017), but not all the games are ready to be shown yet?

Maybe GG, SSM need more time to polish because it's their gameplay demos that will showcase the hardware as Ryan said. Which is really important if their hardware actually is going to be weaker.

metalgear89

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What if it's not the hardware that's holding up the reveal, but the software? Perhaps Sony wants to reveal the PS5 with an E3 2016-like 1st Party blowout (since the last big 1st party game they announced was GoT in 2017), but not all the games are ready to be shown yet?

Maybe GG, SSM need more time to polish because it's their gameplay demos that will showcase the hardware as Ryan said. Which is really important if their hardware actually is going to be weaker.
This is too sensible, please get out.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
a lot of the stuff referenced (BOM, response to MS, and release plans) felt like exec level info that suppliers wouldnt have access to.

I dunno, i found some of the phrasing a little off such as "Sony executives are voicing patience about the next console's pricing as they anticipate the transition to be a gradual one, said people familiar with its day-to-day operations". and the article had several different tangents, it felt like a bit of a mish-mash to me.

But you could be right and i'm just getting too cynical about it all.

Silencerx98

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Tonky, you're supposed to be in here for the jokes and memes, not rational thoughts

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Man this thead has been going places (not particularly productive places) since last night lol.

I've been preparing myself mentally for a long time now, but a minimum $649 launch price PS5 is going to hurt.

Really hoping I can get $200 off trading-in a pro.

MrPink

Oct 27, 2017
What's funny about these things is that people have a very selective memory of things.

PS3 was revealed almost 18 months before its release, and yet hen it was released they still weren't "ready".

And somehow, not hearing anything from sony now somehow means there is something wrong? I don't get it. I mean I am eager for news too, but I understand that its not something they have to do right now. If we get to July and still hear nothing... then we can start getting worried.

Mmm yeah, if we get to shortly after E3 and we still have nothing, then I'd be concerned. Of course, I'd like to hear by the end of next month lol.

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019

If they have weaker hardware that is the way to do it. Show SSM's space game and GG's Horizon 2 and absolutely blow everyone's socks off with the visual fidelity. Maybe even have someone play it. Because then nobody will care that it has 3TF less than XSX, they'll be talking about how insane the games look.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna get Sega Saturn PTSD where they stealth drop the console...

I just think it's so stupid to have the PS5 be this "known secret". Maybe it does build hype, I dunno, but as a follower of games it's getting frustrating. I think there are ways to tease and hype things, purposefully holding back (especially when a competitor is showing stuff off) has definitely gone beyond anticipation building into frustration for me.

Between that and the lack of leaks. I mean the games for these things are WELL into development, DICE has already happened and we have... nothing.
you have my axe.

why is sony struggling to price the ps5? i thought all the specs were locked down years in advance. surely they knew about the cost of parts two years ago when they came up with the specs and designed the specs around projected cost. it was either a $399 console or a $499 console.

so what changed? whats the struggle 8 months before launch? why is it affecting the reveal? are they going to downgrade the specs and is that why they dont want to announce it before MS?

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019

The question is does it make it more likely, since the common talk around here is pivoting with silicon, etc last minute is not possible, acting like Sony made their console less powerful in response to a higher build of materials in February doesn't make sense.

why is sony struggling to price the ps5? i thought all the specs were locked down years in advance. surely they knew about the cost of parts two years ago when they came up with the specs and designed the specs around projected cost. it was either a $399 console or a $499 console.

so what changed? whats the struggle 8 months before launch? why is it affecting the reveal? are they going to downgrade the specs and is that why they dont want to announce it before MS?

I used to really enjoy reading your posts.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not sure what you mean by that. Mochizuki is probably one of the most well respected business journalists for Japanese companies in the US. I mean Bloomberg and Wall Street Journal are not usually the places you think of when you think of crappy journalism.....
Already answered. Most of his reports were actually far from being right like the one about Nintendo NX ( Industry leading chip ?????? ) , Nintendo looking to ship 25-30 M console in 2018 or Switch Pro out in 2019 ( will not even be out in 2020).

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
At least what will be fun after the complete reveal, is the potential unlimited amount of quotes we'll have in reserve to promote virtues of the conditional tense.

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Whoo, hold on a sec. Do we even know they are struggling and affecting the reveal for sure? This sounds like a lot of guesswork.

Status
Not open for further replies.