• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which team are you on?

• Double Team (1997)

• Team Walnut

• The A-Team

• Team "No One Can Stop Mr. Domino"

• Sports Team

• "I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel."

• Team Margarita

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

12Danny123

Jan 31, 2018
Samsung is not surprising. Not only for their global reach but because I'm speculating that MS is making a big push into South Korea.

There was already an article about how well received XCloud beta is in that country, which is another non-surprise because how leagues ahead the speed of their internet connection is compared to most in the Asian region. Purchasing power is pretty good too.

It's probably their best bet in getting a foothold in the Asian market, and fully expect to hear more about their reach into it in the near future.

Or we could see Game Pass be bundled with every Samsung smartphone purchase? Buy any Samsung smartphone and get 3 months of Xbox Game Pass. That would be a big big draw to the Xbox ecosystem and benefits Samsung.

How could Sony compete against that?

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Weekend is here, I am going to ignore the thread now until Monday when everything starts again. Next week will be the week, right?
giphy.gif

GhostofWar

Apr 5, 2019
The big one though, at 20:33 in the video, RT is only included due to customer perception;not really relevant.

If it's accurate, it doesn't seem AMD are really keen on RT just yet.

Did they even have anything in the oven before nvidia dropped RTX? No one was expecting it (or the prices lol) so in a worst case scenario they will have had under 2 years to work on it. Navi was also delayed and respun so they may also be 3-6 months behind when they expected to ship this stuff.

nvidia are arrogant but they are not intel arrogant yet, Is it possible amd rt gen1 can match nvidia rt gen1? sure. Is it possible they are gonna be able to match nvidia gen2 which should come around the same time they release their gen1? That's a pretty big ask, and is probably why they arn't keen on RT yet.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
The DRAM price issue and shortage is something that was reported on in november/december. DRAM exchange and others were saying that prices would go up in the 1st quarter of 2020 due to phones and other factors. It seems like this article just took a bunch of recent news, and old data, and ran with the story.

I'll put my spinfoil hat on just in case, but let's look at the article and break it down to some extent.

1st thing 1st, there's not a single mention or usage of the word "source". I'm not saying I read these sites often enough to know how they mention the origin of the info but to not say they have a source but "people in the know".

PS4 BOM was $380, add $20 and boom $400 retail price. Now give the ps5 a BOM of $450 and add $20. You get $470 which is what they state as the absolute bottom retail price. $470 is simply an assumption.

Recent news that was heavily covered.

www.tomshardware.com

SSDs May Get Pricey This Year With NAND Prices Expected to Rise 40%

Enjoy the cheap prices while they last.

www.tomshardware.com

DRAMeXchange: Graphics DRAM Prices Will Rise in Q1 2020

Mainly thanks to the dawn of the new consoles

Raw metal cost alone means this is unlikely. Jet engines are not a new topic when it comes to the ps4.

Simply repeating what has been said a couple weeks ago by CFO Totoki, and reported by others.

technostalls.com

PlayStation 5 Official Pricing Hinted by Sony CFO Hiroki Totoki - TechnoStalls

We reported yesterday that PlayStation 4’s sales are slower than ever. However, this didn’t come as a surprise at all since Sony has announced that it is currently adding the finishing touches to PlayStation 5 and everyone thinks that it’s best to wait for the next-generation console to launch...

Totoki's quote

About which the author of the article stated

This is an assumption made by another writer that bloomberg is claiming as coming from people within sony.

Thanks to you, disco_potato and Dave. for this string of insightful posts. It's pretty illuminating and pretty damning for the article and author.

I know a lot of people here aren't fans of AdoredTV, or even know of him, but the ending of this video is somewhat interesting.
He mentions the leaks of big navi 80cu ish card are real. The IPC gains are big as most of GCN remains have been removed. The clocks are in question as the chip is just too big. The big one though, at 20:33 in the video, RT is only included due to customer perception;not really relevant.

I can't forget AdoredTV's video revealing Navi leaks that talked about how much of an unmitigated disaster Navi was and how much worse the perf per watt would be even compared to Vega.

I think it's pretty clear at this point his sources are weaksauce.

Deleted member 8674

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Good evening, ResetEra! I think it's time for more sacrifices!

What do you think, captain?

red_october_doit.gif

Yessir! bob100 and Brohan, please step forward! You are henceforth being judged for the crime of losing an avatar bet. Here is your punishment:

Tonight is a special night. I have gone and seen what each of you despise and I have selected accordingly.

bob100, you have a strong distaste for Zombies mode in call of duty

QU53khO.png

And Brohan, well..... Your displeasure was too specific to not take advantage of....

Iop5TOy.jpg

Captain, what do you think?

tumblr_pdxqycNues1t859wso2_400.gif

I'll take your silence as acceptance.

Until tomorrow......

I've made a huge mistake participating...

Oh well

CosmicBolt

Self-Requested Ban
Oct 28, 2017
Makes me question the Bloomberg article's "sources" tbqh.
I think PS5s BOM is 450$, zhugeEx never refuted it, article got that right, but to me it seems that bloomberg's source assumed the high ~450$ BOM was because of Scarced DRAM and NAND.

It's hard to believe giant company like Sony with their own cost analysis team didn't consider the impact of Scarced DRAM, NAND.

Also ZhugeEX never associated the reason for high PS5 BOM to be DRAM and NAND shortages.

BradGrenz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't forget AdoredTV's video revealing Navi leaks that talked about how much of an unmitigated disaster Navi was and how much worse the perf per watt would be even compared to Vega.

The sudden rash of "AMD has driver problem" stories that just hit has me suspicious that nVidia is engaged in a coordinated whisper campaign against them right now. So maybe Adored has sources, but maybe you shouldn't always trust what nVidia reps tell you about AMD...

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
I think PS5s BOM is 450$, zhugeEx never refuted it, article got that right, but to me it seems that bloomberg's source assumed the high ~450$ BOM was because of Scarced DRAM and NAND.

It's hard to believe giant company like Sony with their own cost analysis team didn't consider the impact of Scarced DRAM, NAND.

Also ZhugeEX never associated the reason for high PS5 BOM to be DRAM and NAND shortages.
Doesn't matter whether they considered it or not, there are larger players on products that sell higher volumes than consoles.

MaulerX

Oct 30, 2017
Is there a reason for Bloomberg discussing Dram prices affecting PS5 but no mention of Series X?

Maybe it's SSD related? Came across a Windows Central article from today/yesterday talking about the Bloomberg article that had this info linked in:

www.tweaktown.com

Xbox Series X SSD: DRAM-less PCIe 4.0 NVMe with up to 3.7GB/sec speeds

Microsoft's new next-gen Xbox Series X may use a DRAM-less SSD with up to 3.75GB/sec read/write speeds.

Talking about MS using a Dram-less SSD with
Phison's memory controller.

Oct 27, 2017
Florida

I know a lot of people here aren't fans of AdoredTV, or even know of him, but the ending of this video is somewhat interesting.
He mentions the leaks of big navi 80cu ish card are real. The IPC gains are big as most of GCN remains have been removed. The clocks are in question as the chip is just too big. The big one though, at 20:33 in the video, RT is only included due to customer perception;not really relevant.

Yeah, that's a downer if true. We may have to wait until mid gen refreshes for real RayTracing.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Is there a reason for Bloomberg discussing Dram prices affecting PS5 but no mention of Series X?

Maybe it's SSD related? Came across a Windows Central article from today/yesterday talking about the Bloomberg article that had this info linked in:

www.tweaktown.com

Xbox Series X SSD: DRAM-less PCIe 4.0 NVMe with up to 3.7GB/sec speeds

Microsoft's new next-gen Xbox Series X may use a DRAM-less SSD with up to 3.75GB/sec read/write speeds.

Talking about MS using a Dram-less SSD with
Phison's memory controller.
Nah, it's referring to GDDR6/HBM which are much more expensive DRAM chips.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017

Zhuges tweets are directly in response to the new higher bom. It is assumed he factored that in.

There is no doubt Sony factors in the cost of each component before choosing parts but they can't predict market fluctuations. This gen they planned for a 4GB PS4 but lucked out with gddr5 prices dropping so they bumped it to 8GB at the last moment. Likewise Microsoft wanted 8GB from the start but didn't want to risk the gddr gamble so they went with ddr3 which ended up becoming more expensive by launch. Some things can't be planned for.

I don't want to read the last 20 pages, is there recent news or words from trusted people? Thx

There is nothing new other than rising prices of components possibly pushing up launch prices or increasing loss per unit.

The sudden rash of "AMD has driver problem" stories that just hit has me suspicious that nVidia is engaged in a coordinated whisper campaign against them right now. So maybe Adored has sources, but maybe you shouldn't always trust what nVidia reps tell you about AMD...

It's not a sudden rash of problems. It's been a problem for a while and there a lot of people complaining online. Gamers nexus did a video on it back at ces because it felt like amd was more interested in changing the driver UI than dealing with issues.

Last edited:

bob100

Oct 29, 2017
Alright y'all, here are the rules

I've discussed this with B-Dubs and here's what we're constituting as a reveal event:

• Make a bet on the exact release date of the PS5 reveal
  • Interviews with Wired (or another publication) and State of Play events do count BUT:
  • Either full spec reveal (CPU / GPU / RAM / etc) or showing the actual console (think Series X reveal) must happen. Not just a shadow or some shit. I mean showing the whole damn thing.
  • Leaks do NOT count
  • Votes for "none" don't count. Only concrete dates.
  • You win? The staff will give you an awesome tag
  • You lose? You get an embarrassing avatar of my choosing until the PS5 is RELEASED

Who dares risk their avatars? Win and get a tag. Lose and, well, I get to pick your avatar

This ain't rocket science. Just use this as a guide:

5L2QwEg.png

red_october_doit.gif

Yessir! bob100 and Brohan, please step forward! You are henceforth being judged for the crime of losing an avatar bet. Here is your punishment:

Tonight is a special night. I have gone and seen what each of you despise and I have selected accordingly.

QU53khO.png

And Brohan, well..... Your displeasure was too specific to not take advantage of....

Iop5TOy.jpg

Until tomorrow......

The shame is upon me....avatar updated 🤣

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020

I mean, ZhugeEx isn't a prophet. He's just an analyst.

As for Sony, to the extent the Bloomberg article is true, I'd guess they are doing some cost analysis now. Being a giant company with lots of smart people working there doesn't immunize them to market forces, or making strategic errors. I'm sure Sony was a giant company with a brilliant cost analysis team when they were creating the PS3 too.

This'll get folded into the cost of the machine, and then Sony will have the same meetings they were going to have anyway, about how much of a loss they are prepared to take to be priced competitively.

Deleted member 19767

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

red_october_doit.gif

QU53khO.png

Iop5TOy.jpg

Until tomorrow......

Yessssss.

Brohan

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands

red_october_doit.gif

QU53khO.png

Iop5TOy.jpg

Oh my fucking God! Lmfao if i didn't know better i would be absolutely certain that you asked my significant other what are some of the things I hate most in life 🙈.

Whenever she feels like annoying me she always sends me gifs and pics of dogs dragging their butts over the floor and I hate it! It looks so awful to me lol. It might have to do with a dog I knew when I was a Child. The dog was called "Nasty" and that she most definitely was. Just seeing that dog would make me want to get a bath.

Anyways you probably could not have picked a better avatar for me as a Losing condition.

So uh thanks for that I guess 😂 and keep up the good work Transistor.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Oh my fucking God! Lmfao if i didn't know better i would be absolutely certain that you asked my significant other what are some of the things I hate most in life 🙈.

Whenever she feels like annoying me she always sends me gifs and pics of dogs dragging their butts over the floor and I hate it! It looks so awful to me lol. It might have to do with a dog I knew when I was a Child. The dog was called "Nasty" and that she most definitely was. Just seeing that dog would make me want to get a bath.

Anyways you probably could not have picked a better avatar for me as a Losing condition.

So uh thanks for that I guess 😂 and keep up the good work Transistor.

Transistor is probably just stalking you. The rest of us will be fine. He isn't father Christmas, he can't know everything about everyone.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
If Lockhart is $399 and targeted at 1080p, and PS4 is $499, then Sony's job is to play down the price of Lockhart and dismiss 1080p as for babies, and use the price differential of 'only' $100 to help encourage uptake of the more expensive ps5. Plus they may do trade in bonus offers with game.gamestop etc so the effective cost to many is reduced.

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017

...or his Zen 2 leaks, 5GHz XD

idk, I still like to watch his videos. some of his rumours really do turn out to be true. just a bit of a crapshoot really

Deleted member 5028

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If Lockhart is $399 and targeted at 1080p, and PS4 is $499, then Sony's job is to play down the price of Lockhart and dismiss 1080p as for babies, and use the price differential of 'only' $100 to help encourage uptake of the more expensive ps5. Plus they may do trade in bonus offers with game.gamestop etc so the effective cost to many is reduced.
Hahaha this is such a shitty way to position yourself. 1080p is still fine for a lot of people and you shouldn't have to go out and buy a 4K tv just to use a box. If anything they should still be able to down sample 4K to 1080p users so no big deal.
But that's a cringe approach to refer to an audience as babies and they'd lose out in sales if they went that route.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Weekend is here, I am going to ignore the thread now until Monday when everything starts again. Next week will be the week, right?
If you believe Sony will do an event at GDC, one month prior is the right spot to annouce it and it was when Google announced it last year.
I don't want to read the last 20 pages, is there recent news or words from trusted people? Thx
You could at least read the last page, you would have saw the question asked just before you...

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Thinking more about the Bloomberg article and it really does feel like a controlled leak. We recently had Sony close Manchester studio, causing a lot of people to question their future in VR, but then here comes this leak to assure people that PSVR2 is in the works. People have also expressed concern over console noise for a long time, and here comes this leak to assure people they're spending several times more on cooling. Feels like selective leaks to fill in the gaps of what's been officially talked about so far without showing their hand with any real specs or big secrets. The whole thing about price could be to judge reactions to a higher price, or to fool consumers and/or MS into thinking they'll go for a higher price but surprise them with $399 again, who knows. I just found it odd that these leakers would also leak those other specific things.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Totoki's comment to "speed up" the things on the side of PlayStation in terms of PS5 is the most interesting thing. I am almost sure current strategy is to wait until FF7R and TLOU2 are out to not draw attention away from those.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
Thinking more about the Bloomberg article and it really does feel like a controlled leak. We recently had Sony close Manchester studio, causing a lot of people to question their future in VR, but then here comes this leak to assure people that PSVR2 is in the works. People have also expressed concern over console noise for a long time, and here comes this leak to assure people they're spending several times more on cooling. Feels like selective leaks to fill in the gaps of what's been officially talked about so far without showing their hand with any real specs or big secrets. The whole thing about price could be to judge reactions to a higher price, or to fool consumers and/or MS into thinking they'll go for a higher price but surprise them with $399 again, who knows. I just found it odd that these leakers would also leak those other specific things.

On the other hand it could be the article author is equally as frustrated at the lack of info as us and went fishing?

We're just tapping our fingers on the table and sighing at this point!

Deleted member 10747

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Would you really want to put your "dirty" laundry outside? Find it strange that a controlled leak would talk about disagreement between people.

I'm going with BitsandBytes, there is just nothing... emptiness, blackness...... no bits and bytes.... :P

I think some are getting bored, including the media.... It's a mystery when you don't know who or what has a firm grip on your balls... The tease called Sony with it's charming quality PS5 are starting to cause some external and internal struggles :D Rumors say some are starting to get blue balls :P

Last edited:

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017

People that questioned PSVR future are the same that always post concern trolling about PSVR.
PSVR future been guaranteed since the first Wired interview.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Hahaha this is such a shitty way to position yourself. 1080p is still fine for a lot of people and you shouldn't have to go out and buy a 4K tv just to use a box. If anything they should still be able to down sample 4K to 1080p users so no big deal.
But that's a cringe approach to refer to an audience as babies and they'd lose out in sales if they went that route.

'obviously they wouldn't literally do that. They'd position the ps5 around power, emphasise 4K etc. Theyd try and downplay by implication rather than anything explicit. And yes, Lockhart May be fine for 1080p users, btu that number will shrink over time, and early adopters May be disproportionately 4K owners.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That is.. if Bloomberg is to be trusted , and it's not pure speculation of Pachter grandiose. But you do raise an important point with regard to cooling... but PSVR2, Cerny did reaffirm their commitment to it in the Wired interview.

Status
Not open for further replies.