• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which team are you on?

• Double Team (1997)

• Team Walnut

• The A-Team

• Team "No One Can Stop Mr. Domino"

• Sports Team

• "I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel."

• Team Margarita

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FSavage

Oct 30, 2017
Maybe we've had it wrong all this time.. what if MS isn't using AMD's solution for ray-tracing and VRS, but rather AMD is using MS' implementation of the technology for their RDNA2 GPUs... just a thought.

This would mean that Sony has their own custom implementations though.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Guys I don't think he's seriously talking about native 4K/60fps multi bounce ray tracing being on the table. It's why I think the comment is a bit sarky (in a slightly 'does it poop unicorns' kind of way). You could read the comment a couple of ways, but as a 'hinted' claim of capabilities, I don't think so.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
6nGJ0HpiStg4xJOM7KSLMz0Oy5fdM3P_4Xqyrx3Rg8EgYZXUmXymFIMr-QtYWDcf7srK-v_-P9ez1owAXqTIoZ6Zx5Osx2IiCLaMPar7-X38FWWPzo9zg5NVftDcdnV4mwWlyG8d6OxdIWvdRllyaH1nwDztHsmHjHU5LA

😉

Unless he do like that ND person and said hardware RT and it get delete and he said he not know lol.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
This does sound like Sony is taking a different approach, he also seems quite bullish here and sceptical about XSX ability to achieve these things, which I'm assuming PS5 is capable of. Interesting.
Yep, maybe the "rumor" about custom HW RT solution has something in it. Because this also how I see it, it is very "specific" questions.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Maybe we've had it wrong all this time.. what if MS isn't using AMD's solution for ray-tracing and VRS, but rather AMD is using MS' implementation of the technology for their RDNA2 GPUs... just a thought.

This would mean that Sony has their own custom implementations though.

So you're saying MS provided RT and VRS for Navi, which AMD created for Sony? :P

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
You can explain the multi-bounce RT ?

With multi-bounce you cast new rays from each polygon intersection hit. That will give you more accurate results, but costs considerably more, and it's pretty useful for stuff like GI. Working with transparent and/or translucent materials properly pretty much requires multi-bounce, and reflections work much better with it, as well.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PS5 being last gen RDNA1 with some RDNA 2 stuff bolted on sort of like the PS4 Pro GPU had some Polaris bits but wasnt a Polaris GPU would match a lot of rumors / twitter scuttlebutt.

Curious to see what Sony says next. MS kinda just dropped the mic spec wise and I believe they know Sony doesn't have anything to counter.

Last edited:

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
It's just my own speculation, but I'm feeling 9-10TF for PS5

With all the information and marketing statements out there, this just feels like what we are heading to.

I know it's not super popular to say that in here, but that's my opinion.
I have been thinking lately, and it may have already been answered...

With Sony doing VR, would 9tf be good even for a next gen leap for PSVR 2?

I think they have to have good VRS just for VR. Decent frame rates, resolution too.

And like someone said earlier, with the Series X specs, would have been nice to see MS invest in VR for Series X. I get that's more of a business plan thing vs. a specs thing.

ElNerdo

Oct 22, 2018
The cynic in me thinks that Sony was just waiting for MS to officially announce the XSX specs like they did today to announce their own soon.

I'm probably wrong, though. :p

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND

褲蓋Calo

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 1, 2020
Shenzhen, China
Hardware-accelerated DirectX Raytracing: You can expect more dynamic and realistic environments powered by hardware-accelerated DirectX Raytracing – a first for console gaming. This means true-to-life lighting, accurate reflections and realistic acoustics in real time as you explore the game world.

Sounds like XSX will utilize ray tracing for 3D audio too.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PS5 being last gen RDNA1 with some RDNA 2 stuff bolted on sort of like the PS4 Pro GPU had some Polaris bits would match a lot of rumors / twitter scuttlebutt.

Curious to see what Sony says next. MS kinda just dropped the mic spec wise and I believe they know Sony doesn't have anything to counter.
Poor Sony

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
Yep, maybe the "rumor" about custom HW RT solution has something in it. Because this also how I see it, it is very "specific" questions.

"Navi was made just for Sony"

Maybe this means something very different.

RDNA2 was what AMD were developing. But Sony didn't want the RT hardware etc and had their own solution they were building. So AMD spun off a next gen GPU design without those components - Navi. Which they released as the 5700 series because why not take advantage to get new GPU tech out there while they cooked the one with RT.

So basically Sony requested a version of their next gen GPU CUs *without* RT because they were working on their own custom hardware for that.

Also makes things a whole lot more interesting - if the RT is dealt with a different part of the chip then I would believe that a 9.2 Navi chip not handling and RT would be very close to a 12TF RDNA2 chip which would have to use those flops to do RT.

Which would unify a lot of rumours. The rumours of the consoles being super close. The rumours of Navi being developed for Sony.

This tweet from the PS5 hardware lead sounds like he is downing the RT capabilities of RDNA2, as if he believes there is a superior solution.

So PS5 could well be Oberon, which you will note also lacks any mention of RT.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Even if Sony is only running 40 cus I do believe it will be very custom.

Not a big deal imo at all if Sony is at 9tf range.

Games are still gonna look great.

It feels like to me the SX is a $599 launch box as well.

I think we will get a lockheart announcement pretty soon here and it wouldn't surprise me at all if it did launch this fall at $399.

It really just kind of depends on how much one s and one x stock MS has built up imo. If they have like 10-20mil sitting around then yeah that's gonna be the MS budget option this holiday, $200 one s, $300 one x, and $599 sx until lockheart launches spring 2021 at $399, possibly $299 of it truly is digital only.

Yankee Ruin X

Oct 31, 2017
The cynic in me thinks that Sony was just waiting for MS to officially announce the XSX specs like they did today to announce their own soon.

I think it's more to do with price than specs. I think Sony may be beaten on specs and that's why price is so crucial, they want to know what MS will price the XSX at so they can price the PS5 at a point where people will not be bothered about any spec difference

Sleve McDichael

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

I kind of think the opposite. I think it's possible that Microsoft could know when Sony is going to be sharing more details about the PS5 and wanted to get ahead of them on it.
Maybe things are gonna start heating up soon.

foxbeldin

Oct 27, 2017
Feels like damage control to me on his part. Him asking all those questions as principal engineer on PS5, is he scared or something ;p
Or he's cocky about something.

That's the thing with over-analysing every tweet, every matt post, every dev statement : there's always a way to read it with some kind of confirmation bias so it goes your way.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland

RDNA2 was what AMD were developing. But Sony didn't want the RT hardware etc and had their own solution they were building. So AMD spun off a next gen GPU design without those components - Navi. Which they released as the 5700 series because why not take advantage to get new GPU tech out there while they cooked the one with RT.

So basically Sony requested a version of their next gen GPU CUs *without* RT because they were working on their own custom hardware for that.

Also makes things a whole lot more interesting - if the RT is dealt with a different part of the chip then I would believe that a 9.2 Navi chip not handling and RT would be very close to a 12TF RDNA2 chip which would have to use those flops to do RT.

Which would unify a lot of rumours. The rumours of the consoles being super close. The rumours of Navi being developed for Sony.

This tweet from the PS5 hardware lead sounds like he is downing the RT capabilities of RDNA2, as if he believes there is a superior solution.

Whoa, what did I miss?

Edit:

PS5 smells like RDNA1.

Hmmm.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Haha, now I am even more interested.
Hah.

Well I think it is just, like, him asking rhetorical questions about the supposed performance of RDNA 2's RT implementation. 4K 60 is just a pie in the sky goal that he names. Multi bounce, just means... rays hitting things and then hitting things again after rebounding. Frustum is a bit weird as it is describing what I assume he means as "how far outside the view frustum around the player camera is RT happening in world space" and then the thing about VRS applying is ????? because VRS is something completely different than RT and there is nothing preventing them from working together.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok, what is multi bounce?
Rays in ray tracing bounce off of objects in the game world. there is usually a limit on how many times they can bounce off of objects. rtx rays can usually bounce multiple times, but dont think they can bounce off of the same object multiple times. maybe thats what they are talking about.

MonsterMech

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
I think the only flack you'll get is that you're basing it on a feeling, and feelings don't really have any substance to them.

The only numbers data we have is the Github leak from a April 2019 chip, which goes against what every single insider has said/alluded to with current PS5 specs.
I mean that's what everyone is doing. All speculation is based on "feelings" at this point. We all know what's out there. Any prediction is based on how a person interpretes said info.

My opinion is based on the marketing statements we have fo either company.

Since forever we know they concentrate on their strengths.

Since day one Microsoft has been very confident about the power of their console. That's the number one thing they talk about, and they have not been shy about saying it. Even randomly posted the specs on their website without much hoopla. This tells me "power" is the thing or one of the main things they will market on.

Sony on the other hand hasn't talked so much about "power" but the tech inside their console like the SSD, Ray Tracing, etc.

To me this says they don't plan on marketing on raw power.

The Github leak just gives me numbers to apply to their current marketing strategies and the numbers add up and have been confirmed on one side. So gives me confidence that my feeling is correct.

MonsterMech

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
I have been thinking lately, and it may have already been answered...

With Sony doing VR, would 9tf be good even for a next gen leap for PSVR 2?

I think they have to have good VRS just for VR. Decent frame rates, resolution too.

And like someone said earlier, with the Series X specs, would have been nice to see MS invest in VR for Series X. I get that's more of a business plan thing vs. a specs thing.
Hey they got a pretty impressive VR headset working at 2< TFs.

I'm sure 9 is enough, especially with all the other hardware upgrades PS5 will have.

Dec 31, 2017
I think it's more to do with price than specs. I think Sony may be beaten on specs and that's why price is so crucial, they want to know what MS will price the XSX at so they can price the PS5 at a point where people will not be bothered about any spec difference
People will always be bothered by specs though, there is no way around it. You know how those digital foundry comparison threads Will turn out by year's end... Especially early on in a gen, price isn't as important as people are looking for the best experience possible and early adopters are usually willing to pay the price for it.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Hah.

Well I think it is just, like, him asking rhetorical questions about the supposed performance of RDNA 2's RT implementation. 4K 60 is just a pie in the sky goal that he names. Multi bounce, just means... rays hitting things and then hitting things again after rebounding. Frustum is a bit weird as it is describing what I assume he means as "how far outside the view frustum around the player camera is RT happening in world space" and then the thing about VRS applying is ????? because VRS is something completely different than RT and there is nothing preventing them from working together.
I see now, and agree after your clarification.

"Frustum" appears a lot in Sony patents, so that appears to be their terminology of choice.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018

AMD is not going to develop an entire micro-architecture for Sony.

Sony is also unlikely to fund the research and development of a GPU class and not ask for a royalty going forward. This is not the world of tech works.

People are reaching. Honestly cannot wait for Sony to reveal their console.

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
Sounds to me like he's flexing that PS5 can do all of that and is more capable at RT.

If the PS5 had an inferior RT solution, why would he even post this? Surely he would just not say anything?

It would be pretty weird to put a tweet out like that unless he was confident that PS5 could do that, exceptionally weird. "Will your console be able to do X, Y and Z?" is not something you would be challenging on if yours couldn't.

Could be that he's frustrated that PS5 and his tech is being held back from reveal while MS are stealing all the spotlight, and he's critiquing their solution to RT.

AMD is not going to develop an entire micro-architecture for Sony.

Sony is also unlikely to fund the research and development of a GPU class and not ask for a royalty going forward. This is not the world of tech works.

People are reaching. Honestly cannot wait for Sony to reveal their console.

That's the point they aren't. It's a variant of the Xbox Series X/RDNA2 architecture without RT.

And you say AMD aren't going to build custom arch for Sony when you realise they already did exactly that with both PS4 and PS4Pro (extra ACEs in PS4 and FP16 in Pro). This also kind of benefits AMD since they get to release the 5700 series rather than wait for their full next gen tech to mature with RT.

Status
Not open for further replies.