• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
I love the classic and new Dualshock, nothing wrong with them, but I always wanted to try the concept controller shown at E3 2005. Damn did it look amazing and next gen like:

ps3-boomerang.jpg

playstation-3-controller-20050518112950902_640w.jpg

Weren't there hands on impressions saying it was really comfortable to hold? I wish they bring this back, even as a limited release, with some design tweaks and updated to 2018 standards. I also see it sort of functioning as a VR controller when split into two.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
It looks dumb, but all reports I heard was that it actually functioned quite well. I guess it abandoned an iconic design aesthetic, but the sixaxis/DS3 was hardly a perfect controller. I wonder if they rushed the design because of negative reaction to the boomerang. What we ended up with on PS3 had some obvious failings (bad analogue sticks, bad triggers, and not the most comfortable shape), but the DS4 has mostly addressed those problems (although build quality wasn't great on the earliest models).

I'd be interested in getting a boomerang as long as it was an optional accessory, not the bundled controller.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
That thing was designed only to look cool. And that shit no longer looks cool. This ain't 2006!

Oct 28, 2017
I wish they'd go towards the Steam Controller. The amount of functionality that thing has and the possibilities it opens up for certain genres is a must have going forward.

Certain genres don't work for consoles without extensive reworking. This thing? You can play Europa Universalis on it no problem.

Heazy

IT Tech
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
London, UK
Remember when Playroom came out on PS4 and people were doing Adult shows... imagine if this was involved...
don't imagine that.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Well, given the form factor...

you'd expect it to come back eventually

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
I, too, want a controller where the d-pad is angled wrong, the face buttons curve away from the fingers that need to reach them and the shoulder buttons are the width of toothpicks. Sounds like it will never cause any handstrain.

The Masked Mufti

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
It may look "amazing and next gen" (it doesn't) but ergonomically it's a nightmare that would require Sony to quickly push out an improved (probably completely different) version. Think Xbox Duke x10

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
I was always curious... did anyone like journalists or developers got to hold this controller and actually try it? And is there any sort of impressions on this controller?

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
As much as I wouldn't mind holding a controller with two shafts for grips, the angled buttons and d-pad seem like a no no. Same with those nubby looking sticks.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Weren't there hands on impressions saying it was really comfortable to hold?
I don't think anyone actually held the controller (please correct me if I'm wrong on that). In fact according to the people who made it it truly was a form over function situation, only looking like that because Kutaragi wanted to show off.
"President Kutaragi wanted something different for the controller," Goto said. "Quite frankly, we had set aside the ergonomic aspect in favor of the image it conjured up. We wanted to present an avant-garde model for the show, running a risk of being criticized."
http://www.gamesradar.com/the-truth-behind-the-ps3-boomerang-controller/

Edit: held as in actually play with it.

Last edited:

FriedConsole

Oct 27, 2017
The way technology is going where it is more important for it to look cool instead of being functional and ergonomic, I wouldn't be surprised if something like this is released next gen. Thanks Steve Jobs.

Notaskwid

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka
The moment I'll held the boomerang with this hands is the moment I'll know that next gen is trully here. That moment will not be today, unfortunately.

Rhowm

Nov 27, 2017
jackinsane.0.gif

I mean it has a unique aesthetic look, but i see no advantage in ergonomics or functionality whatsoever,sorry.