• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
At this point.. who cares if something is exclusive?

Microsoft offers a subscription service. Their games will be exclusively in one subscription service. I don't see anyone talk about how Game of Thrones isn't HBO exclusive anymore when they also sell blu-rays.

Play the games you like. And I hope every publisher and platformholder will try and reach as many people as they can.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yes the problem of people saying "Xbox has no exclusives" is the question in the title that I responed too. There's an additional question in the OP, but I wasn't sure if they were asking about if the quality of new I.Ps specifically will improve or just in general, so I ignored it, because it's purely guess work.

Eh, what argument? The one that Xbox has no exclusives? Or what exclusive means? I don't mind arguing about what exclusive means to those who don't know. The other is just a pretty accurate description, there's Halo 5 and a few Kinect games, what else?
You're right those are all exclusive. Plus many many more. Google them if you're curious.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Hence the console exclusive title. Differentiating it from straight exclusive. Gears 5 still applies in this sense. RDR2 is on two, and eventually all except Switch. Gears 5 will never be. There's a distinction to be made.
Been over that already "Console Exclusive" is just a marketing term. Or should we get brain storming a PC/Console but not Mobile tag?
Also if we are being really honest console exclusive is just as accurate for RDR2, because it's you know console exclusive.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2019
At this point.. who cares if something is exclusive?

Microsoft offers a subscription service. Their games will be exclusively in one subscription service. I don't see anyone talk about how Game of Thrones isn't HBO exclusive anymore when they also sell blu-rays.

Play the games you like. And I hope every publisher and platformholder will try and reach as many people as they can.
The exclusive that I care about is the next-gen exclusive. I don't want games to be built with old ass hardware in mind. As tech improves, developers are making games that match their visions more closely. I will guarantee you that Bethesda waited for next-gen to make Starfield and ES6, because what they want to do is simply not possible on current consoles (at least without massive compromises). And I'm sure they're not the only developers doing that.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
Been over that already "Console Exclusive" is just a marketing term. All should we get brain storming a PC/Console but not Mobile?
Also if we are being really honest console exclusive is just accurate for RDR2, because it's you know console exclusive.
How is it just a marketing term? There are millions and millions of console-only gamers who the term console exclusive is relevant to. 'Exclusive' is as much of a marketing term as 'console exclusive' is.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I think Google is broken. The mad bastard is listing multiple platforms for games I searched.
Yikes! Maybe it's your semantics again? check into it

How is it just a marketing term? There are millions and millions of console-only gamers who the term console exclusive is relevant to. 'Exclusive' is as much of a marketing term as 'console exclusive' is.
Thank you! He is being disingenuous af!

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
The day PSNow allows me to download games on PC rather than stream them is the day I'd be willing to sign up for a Sony service.

XBox next gen will have a lot of games that will only be available via a Microsoft ecosystem- which includes the PC. Whle they will (wisely) continue offering their games on Steam for Steam diehards, the value proposition will inevitably shift to GamePass as a cheaper alternative- and unlike Epic, no one will give them any flak, because they will present people with an (obviously rigged in their favour) choice. Just like Bethesda is doing this year with all their shooters- they are availble Day 1 full price on Steam, but all the retailers that used to carry discounted Steam keys are now selling the discounted keys for the Bethesda.net launcher. Those who value Steam's services over price continue to have the option to play via steam- but pay a premium for it.

In practical terms, the majority of the userbase who prefers the convenience of console gaming and feels (for whatever reason) that PC gaming is too cumbersome will still gravitate towards purchasing a Microsoft console if any of Microsoft's first party games interest them, rather than a gaming PC. The definition of whether these games are "exclusive" will be academic.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
How isn't it? It means nothing based on all the selective useage by some. Also many millions more play mobile games, who cares about how big individual playerbases are on different platforms? There's always a bigger pond. Also it's not like Steam is a far bigger platform than PSN, they are about as bigger as each other, there's no real way for us to know the overlap between PC and consoles.
And exclusive is a word that's has a meaning, it's existed long before games which bastardize it's meaning for a marketing label.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
How isn't it? It means nothing based on all the selective useage by some. Also many millions more play mobile games, who cares about how big individual playerbases are on different platforms? There's always a bigger pond. Also it's not like Steam is a far bigger platform than PSN, they are about as bigger as each other, there's no real way for us to know the overlap between PC and consoles.
And exclusive is a word that's has a meaning, it's existed long before games which bastardize it's meaning for a marketing label.
Again, the term 'console exclusive' is just as relevant to console only gamers as the term 'exclusive' is. What are you doing lol? You're ignoring reality to make some console warrior point.

Calverz

Oct 28, 2017
Its been an issue for sure. But i think microsoft have put a lot of effort into hardware redesigns, creating programmes and changes that are user friendly and give them some goodwill from consumers.

After the complete fuckup at launch phil really needed to pick up the pieces. I think with the studio acquisitions, the implementation of xcloud, i think they have good momentum going into next gen. Im also confident that they will want to ensure they have the most powerful console on paper this time. I like how they are embracing their heritage with the x that they were known to be the most powerful console and this will be important for multi plat titles.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Again, the term 'console exclusive' is just as relevant to console only gamers as the term 'exclusive' is. What are you doing lol?
And it means not actually exclusive. Console only gamers aren't all gamersand the discussion isn't exclusive to them, there also is more than 3 gaming platform . So your marketing term is just that. I'm posting my opinion on what the word exclusive means.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
And it means not actually exclusive. Console only gamers aren't all gaming and the discussion isn't exclusive to them. So your marketing term is just that. I'm posting my opinion on what the word exclusive means.
It means exclusive to a certain console + PC. And the marketing term 'console exclusive' is just as relevant to gamers as the marketing term 'exclusive' is.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
And the marketing term 'console exclusive' is just as relevant to gamers as the marketing term 'exclusive' is.
It's really not though. Exclusives are limited to a single platform or at most the platforms under that brand (PS3, PS4, PSNow for example). Console exclusives are usually on multiple completely separate gaming platforms an actual exclusive is not. 1 is always a multiplat.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
It's really not though. Exclusive are limited to a single platform or at most the platforms under that brand (PS3, PS4, PSNow for example). Console exclusives are usually on multiple completely separate gaming platforms an actual exclusive is not.
Console exclusives are exclusive to one console. It's an informative term for console gamers.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
It's really not though. Exclusives are limited to a single platform or at most the platforms under that brand (PS3, PS4, PSNow for example). Console exclusives are usually on multiple completely separate gaming platforms an actual exclusive is not. 1 is always a multiplat.
"Console exclusive" means "exclusive unless you want to play on PC".

Which seems to be anathema to a large portion of console gamers, so to them the distinction is meaningless.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
And that doesn't make a difference to console gamers. All that matters is that it's available on their chosen console, making console exclusive a valid and meanigful term.
It does if they are trying to argue their platform has actual exclusives when it's not actually exclusive. Xbox console will not have any according to MS. Console gamers don't live in a special bubble either, console exclusive is about as meaningful as timed exclusive is, which is not really in the grand scheme of things.

Xumbrega

Oct 25, 2017
Brasil
Love how the kratos avatar guy is arguing about a game being Microsoft exclusive or not when you need Xbox Live to even start the game. People still think your average joe console player give a fuck about the game being available on PC, hell, even in here, an enthusiastic gaming forum the majority of users wouldn't play on a gaming PC and prefer to play on consoles.

PC gaming and console audience are different and the intersection of people jumping from console gaming to PC gaming and vice-versa is irrelevant, MS knows that, to your average joe Gears 5 is still a "Xbox One exclusive" because the only gaming platform he/she's interested in is consoles, and to those who play only on PC, Microsoft is now able to get their money as well that they couldn't get before cause they have no interest in playing on a damn console, I see people in here trying to force their own vision of exclusives when the market already has one since forever, Gears of War 1 was a system seller for Xbox 360 and the game were also available on PC. PC/Phones/Consoles are clearly different audiences, I don't know how anyone could deny this.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
It does if they are trying to argue their platform has actual exclusives when it's not actually exclusive. Xbox console will not have any according to MS. Console gamers don't live in a special bubble either, console exclusive is about as meaningful as timed exclusive is, which is not really in the grand scheme of things.
Of course Xbox will have plenty of exclusives that will also be available on PC. Console exclusive is just as meaningful as exclusive is because whether you want to acknowledge it or not, plenty of gamers have no interest in playing on PC.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Love how the kratos avatar guy is arguing about a game being Microsoft exclusive or not when you need Xbox Live to even start the game. People still think your average joe console player give a fuck about the game being available on PC, hell, even in here, an enthusiastic gaming forum the majority of users wouldn't play on a gaming PC and prefer to play on consoles.

PC gaming and console audience are different and the intersection of people jumping from console gaming to PC gaming and vice-versa is irrelevant, MS knows that, to your average joe Gears 5 is still a "Xbox One exclusive" because the only gaming platform he/she's interested in is consoles, and to those who play only on PC, Microsoft is now able to get their money as well that they couldn't get before cause they have no interest in playing on a damn console, I see people in here trying to force their own vision of exclusives when the market already has one since forever, Gears of War 1 was a system seller for Xbox 360 and the game were also available on PC. PC/Phones/Consoles are clearly different audiences, I don't know how anyone could deny this.

let's be technically correct to not give him an out
-you need a "Microsoft account". IE, Hotmail/MSN/Skype/etc- an account associated with any of Microsoft's services. Doesn't need to be an Xbox account per se.

Oct 27, 2017
They've had studios before that would make you think they've wouldn't have gotten in this situation to begin with.

They still cancelled Fable Legends, made Rare do Kinect, etc. they've seemingly learned their lesson but imo it will take 3-5 years for them to prove it to me with steady releases other than Forza/Gears/Halo.

Sony and Nintendo have 3-4 consecutive gens of stellar (if at times flawed) first party support so I tend to trust their judgment a bit more

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Of course Xbox will have plenty of exclusives that will also be available on PC. Console exclusive is just as meaningful as exclusive is because whether you want to acknowledge it or not, plenty of gamers have no interest in playing on PC.
Plenty of gamers have no interest in playing on consoles either this means nothing and is irrelevant to whether something is exclusive to a single platform or not, there's a huge overlap in games between PC and console, it's not some completely foreign platform, Steam and PSN (the two biggest gaming platforms of either device) are roughly the same size. Exclusivity exists outside of gaming too, it's just not changed to exclusively only on BBC and Sky, but not ITV, so totally exclusive to Sky Boxsets.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
Plenty of gamers have no interest in playing on consoles either this means nothing and is irrelevant to whether something is exclusive to a single platform or not, there's a huge overlap in games between PC and console, it's not some completely foreign platform, Steam and PSN (the two biggest gaming platforms of either device) are roughly the same size. Exclusivity exists outside of gaming too, it's just not changed to exclusively only on BBC and Sky, but not ITV, so totally exclusive to Sky Boxsets.
And yet console-only gamers exist, making console exclusive just as meaningful as exclusive.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
let's be technically correct to not give him an out
-you need a "Microsoft account". IE, Hotmail/MSN/Skype/etc- an account associated with any of Microsoft's services. Doesn't need to be an Xbox account per se.
Is Fortnite a EPIC exclusive because you need an EPIC account to play or just a game made by EPIC? Try and get in if you want to not give me an out. MS makes games is not being questioned.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019

Which is why the advertising "console exclusive" is aimed at gamers who don't want to game on PC.

PC Gamers see a Microsoft game and go "nice, I'll look into that".

Console gamers see Microsoft's game and go "hmm, i don't want to play on *insert Greg Miller joke about PC here*. Guess i'll have to get an Xbox"

saying "console exclusive" is (imho) far more honest that Sony's preferred method of dancing around timed exclusivity for certain 3rd party titles that end up getting ported to PC later.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everyone complains about lack of exclusives.
Microsoft resolves the issue by purchasing and building loads of studios.
Everyone argues they're not "true" exclusives.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Which is why the advertising "console exclusive" is aimed at gamers who don't want to game on PC.

PC Gamers see a Microsoft game and go "nice, I'll look into that".

Console gamers see Microsoft's game and go "hmm, i don't want to play on *insert Greg Miller joke about PC here*. Guess i'll have to get an Xbox"

saying "console exclusive" is (imho) far more honest that Sony's preferred method of dancing around timed exclusivity for certain 3rd party titles that end up getting ported to PC later.
Yes keyword being advertising.
Sony have "console exclusive" tags too. They also have PS4 exclusive and PlayStation exclusive tags. Because something can't be on PS4 and on another gaming platform too and still be considered PS4 exclusive.

CaptNink

Oct 27, 2017
B.C, Canada
but what benefit do they get from having me on their ecosystem if I just play on PC and don't buy their console, and just get games which are not on steam(but I don't like the store) or just use the game pass? Moneywise that will bring them the games sold on digital and a few dolars from the pass, but overall?

It astounds me how some people just don't get it.

Grayson

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 21, 2019
Everyone complains about lack of exclusives.
Microsoft resolves the issue by purchasing and building loads of studios.
Everyone argues they're not "true" exclusives.
Truthfully they're not. Not sure your post carried like you thought it would. I'm all for more Xbox games and that's what more studios will accomplish but to my and lots of other eyes they're not more exclusives.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Yes keyword being advertising.
Sony have "console exclusive" tags too. They also have PS4 exclusive and PlayStation exclusive tags. Because something can't be on PS4 and on another gaming platform too and still be considered PS4 exclusive.

Ok, by that logic, Forza Horizon 4, Sea of Thieves, State of Decay 2 and Crackdown 3 are still an "Xbox exclusive". Because "Xbox" is an ecosystem that includes both the Xbox One console and the Windows 10 Marketplace. Just as the PlayStation ecosystem encompasses PlayStation Consoles and the PS Now service.

So, okay, Xbox won't have any "Xbox Scarlett exclusive" tags, sure. I don't see how that really matters, though.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Ok, by that logic, Forza Horizon 4, Sea of Thieves, State of Decay 2 and Crackdown 3 are still an "Xbox exclusive". Because "Xbox" is an ecosystem that includes both the Xbox One console and the Windows 10 Marketplace. Just as the PlayStation ecosystem encompasses PlayStation Consoles and the PS Now service.

So, okay, Xbox won't have any "Xbox Scarlett exclusive" tags, sure. I don't see how that really matters, though.
I've literally said as much. Difference is Xbox are releasing day and date on none Xbox platforms too. So a more accurate description would be Xbox games, there's no exclusive part. As I said in my very first post in the thread people saying "Xbox has no exclusives" aren't saying "MS make no games" people should stop trying to change what an exclusive is.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
I've literally said as much. Difference is Xbox are releasing day and date on none Xbox platforms too. So a more accurate description would be Xbox games, there's no exclusive part. As I said in my very first post in the thread people saying "Xbox has no exclusives" aren't saying "MS make no games" people should stop trying to change what an exclusive is.
as of right now the only 2 non-Xbox games are Gears 5 and the upcoming Age of Empires II DE . All others were Xbox exclusive at launch in some form.

Should the microsoft/steam partnership prove fruitful (and I don't see why it wouldn't, since it gives microsoft a ton of brownie points from the hardcore steam faithful) they will stick with the "console exclusive" brand.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
Is Fortnite a EPIC exclusive because you need an EPIC account to play or just a game made by EPIC? Try and get in if you want to not give me an out. MS makes games is not being questioned.

So now you're arguing that PSNow games can't be PlayStation exclusives because they can be played on Microsoft Windows PCs? Make up your mind!

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Truthfully they're not. Not sure your post carried like you thought it would. I'm all for more Xbox games and that's what more studios will accomplish but to my and lots of other eyes they're not more exclusives.

What I meant was that there's always some reason to complain. Not that it's wrong.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
as of right now the only 2 non-Xbox games are Gears 5 and the upcoming Age of Empires II DE . All others were Xbox exclusive at launch in some form.

Should the microsoft/steam partnership prove fruitful (and I don't see why it wouldn't, since it gives microsoft a ton of brownie points from the hardcore steam faithful) they will stick with the "console exclusive" brand.
Why is a store like Steam even coming into this equation? It is just a distribution platform for Xbox games, like Best Buy is or the Microsoft store is.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
So now you're arguing that PSNow games can't be PlayStation exclusives because they can be played on Microsoft Windows PCs? Make up your mind!
PSNow is a PlayStation platform. Instead of trying to gotcha me, educate yourself on the matter.
Why is a store like Steam even coming into this equation? It is just a distribution platform for Xbox games, like Best Buy is or the Microsoft store is.
Steam is a gaming platform, it's far more than just a store.

B.C.

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Sep 28, 2018
PSNow is a PlayStation platform.
But PSNow is on Windows 10. So does that make the games on PSNOW Playstation and Microsoft exclusives - thus making Playstation games multi platformLol.

Seriously bruv, give it a rest. If you can't play Xbox games on Switch or a Playstation console (which you cant), its a console exclusive to Xbox/Microsoft. PC isnt a console. To even challenge this is an attempt to earn console warrior brownie points which mean fuck all..

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019

Because "Steam games can be played on Linux, and so this circumvents you having to pay money to Microsoft for a Windows license, so IT'S A WHOLE DIFFERENT PLATFORM" argument.

Yes, I know it's ludicrous, but some people actually say that with a straight face.