• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Raider34

Banned
May 8, 2018
United States
Xbox is its own a division now before they were under windows Terry Myerson didn't care about Xbox he gave them the bare minimal and at some point games stopped being developed along the way Phil convinced Nadella and Hood that there is money to be made in gaming they don't need to chase Sony People just want more variety of games single player games are cool but when you are done they are done with multiplayer games you can play until the next version we comes out we just need more of a balance between single player multiplayer etc. let Sony Be Sony Xbox needs to continue doing and with more studios and growing out teams and giving games more time is what was needed When people wake up and understand the value game pass really is it will sell like crazy that's when you need more content and it will be wild next generation with bigger investments to cater to a wider audience.

Last edited:

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
Windows 10, but I got it for free. Granted I will have to pay if I change PC.and they sold Windows before.
Windows itself might have been free, but now you're more likely to be buying in on Office, or Azure, or whatever. You yourself might not have any of those, but if they do that enough to enough people - and they do do it enough - then they'll get people used to these things to buy in later, or buy in now, or whichever. It's an ecosystem, and you're in it. The fact that you currently haven't spent any money right now is besides the point.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Well Microsoft also has some skin in the game for PC gaming. So honestly they will always have that problem.

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
Man we get these threads every other week it seems.

But with 15 studios what do you think? How will GP be supported?

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
but what benefit do they get from having me on their ecosystem if I just play on PC and don't buy their console, and just get games which are not on steam(but I don't like the store) or just use the game pass? Moneywise that will bring them the games sold on digital and a few dolars from the pass, but overall?
If you just use Gamepass you are in their ecosystem. That is exactly what they want. The current gamepass model gets people in the door and expands their customer base by word of mouth. Later when the prices normalize they will lose some people but will still make regular revenue off of people that stay subscribed that is the model.

OldDirtyGamer

Apr 14, 2019
Well Gears 5 is exclusive to Xbox Live... Which is their ecosystem. So I think they are doing pretty well right now... Along with their other games...
What other games ? Almost all of the studios they bought are still making games on ps4.

And they are porting older games to switch .

I dont have any issue with that but looking as a consumer why would I buy a xbox over ps4 ?

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
I hope so. Ive never owned an Xbox system and I don't game on my computer but I want both systems to push each other. They purchase of several studios this year seems like a direct address to their lack of exclusives this gen

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
store.steampowered.com

Gears 5 on Steam

From one of gaming’s most acclaimed sagas, Gears is bigger than ever. With all-out war descending, Kait Diaz breaks away to uncover her connection to the enemy and discovers the true danger to Sera – herself.

Edit: and Xbox Live is optional. You can play the single player without it.

I do think it's great for Microsoft to make their games available outside their own store, but it's only really happening because their store for PC games utterly failed to gain traction.
My point still stands...

What other games ? Almost all of the studios they bought are still making games on ps4.

And they are porting older games to switch .

I dont have any issue with that but looking as a consumer why would I buy a xbox over ps4 ?
And you think that's going to forever be the case of them having majority of their titles on Playstation. Lol. As a consumer, I can choose Xbox over Playstation for variety of reasons... But who cares. Choose what you like.

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
Let's hope MS actually invest in good first party exclusives. And as much as I love the existing heavy hitters like Halo and Gears,they need more than that

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Xbox is now a ecosystem Console/Windows/ and Xcloud on Phones,Tablets and browsers port beggars ask for Games that will never go to switch. Microsoft will put a game they have distribution rights to or a second party developed game but name me a game that has been on Switch made by a first party studio other than Minecraft which is a platform in itself. So yes exclusives are exclusives until you can play them on a Non Microsoft Platform or App
Of course a Microsoft exclusive would naturally be exclusive to Microsoft, but is it exclusive to Xbox if it's also on PC? No. That's the point. I've noticed that a lot of PC gamers like to talk down on consoles, making flawed points like, "what's the point of buying this on console when PC can run it with higher graphics settings? Lol console peasants playing 30fps games, what year is it?" Some people will read this and look to buy it on PC instead of Xbox, which hurts and devalues the Xbox itself. Good for Microsoft still because it's their game? Of course, but good for their console business? No.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
I'm confident Microsoft will bring the goods next gen, and I'm thrilled I can play these games on PC without needing to buy a console (my current plan is to buy no consoles at all next gen).

But damn... It's been such a long time since Microsoft were rolling out compelling games on the regular in the early 360 days.

Raider34

Banned
May 8, 2018
United States
Of course a Microsoft exclusive would naturally be exclusive to Microsoft, but is it exclusive to Xbox if it's also on PC? No. That's the point. I've noticed that a lot of PC gamers like to talk down on consoles, making flawed points like, "what's the point of buying this on console when PC can run it with higher graphics settings? Lol console peasants." Some people will read this and look to buy it on PC instead of Xbox, which hurts and devalues the Xbox itself. Good for Microsoft still because it's their game? Of course, but good for their console business? No.
It's all about options you want to play on console play on console you wanna play on PC do it you wanna buy gamepass to play the games for a subscription fee you can buy it on steam if you like It's up to you It's just like Surface and Surface Studio they are options but you got many other Windows tablets & laptops and desktops they just want to sale software and keep you in the ecosystem how you purchase and use it up to you.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
No such thing as Xbox exclusives. Hasn't been one since 2015. There's only Game Pass exclusives when comparing Game Pass to other streaming services. That's what matters. They sell Game Pass subscriptions. You buy Xbox as one means to access it if you don't have a great PC and Sony doesn't want it on their ecosystem.

In that regard, Game Pass is killing it.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't expect exclusives to be a problem for Microsoft next generation. In fact, I think they're going to release software at a pretty brisk pace, to keep people subscribed to Game Pass.

With that said, I don't see very many Xbox exclusives being received critically on the same level as the best from Sony and Nintendo.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
I have a lot more faith in their studios moving forward. And I get to enjoy their ecosystem from a PC. We're all winning.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
I'm not really worried about the output of their studios. I just hope enough of the new studios to maintain their identity. I'd much rather have a raft of AA+ish budget games that try new things and explore less popular genres even if they aren't cracking 90+ MC scores.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's all about options you want to play on console play on console you wanna play on PC do it you wanna buy gamepass to play the games for a subscription fee you can buy it on steam if you like It's up to you It's just like Surface and Surface Studio they are options but you got many other Windows tablets & laptops and desktops they just want to sale software and keep you in the ecosystem how you purchase and use it up to you.
Of course there would be more options to choose from if it's on more one than one platform. But if it's only on Xbox, then consumers will only flock to Xbox, resulting in a more successful console business. Nobody ever said Microsoft exclusives aren't exclusive to Microsoft. When people talk about the exclusivity thing, it's referring to Xbox exclusives ending up on PC, which means you don't need an Xbox to play it at all.

I don't expect Microsoft to change this next gen, I think they'll likely keep making PC versions of all their games.

Raider34

Banned
May 8, 2018
United States
Of course there would be more options to choose from if it's on more one than one platform. But if it's only on Xbox, then consumers will only flock to Xbox, resulting in a more successful console business. Nobody ever said Microsoft exclusives aren't exclusive to Microsoft. When people talk about the exclusivity thing, it's referring to Xbox exclusives ending up on PC, which means you don't need an Xbox to play it at all.
Yea I feel what you are saying I used to feel some type of way about the games going to PC but the guys In the Microsoft thread made me think differently about the games going to PC But you are 100% right guess the days of pure exclusives are dead Halo 5 was the last one I think not sure but I'm cool with it more people to play more they invest.

XVerdena

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like i hear this for over a generation now.
MS usually start amazingly well and as the generations happen, they lose steam.
They've had studios before and we all know what happened.
The new acquisitions outside of Ninja Theory are rather small....we'll see how they go.
But they are trying for sure.

Also...now that Xbox is more than a console and it's more like a service that has games for more than consoles, the term "exclusive" is kinda more broad for MS games now.
We can play them on our pcs anyway now so it's kinda pointless to discuss MS's exclusives in 2019 like if it were 2013.
Obsidian, Playground and The Initiative are small?

Aug 26, 2019
My biggest worry with next-gen Xbox games is that they'll be cross-gen for a while, so the One S/One X will hold them back. I definitely don't want Fable or Gears 6 to be compromised by outdated hardware. Otherwise, I'm pretty hype.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
They've had plenty of exclusives for the first few years, especially new IP, but very few of them seemed to hit big in the way you'd expect for a big publisher. We'll have to see how well these teams gel with Microsoft as their publisher, but I wouldn't assume that the problem will be solved. They should have the consistency of quantity problem solved, but who knows how the quality will go in five years.

EdgeXL

Oct 27, 2017
California
This post is not intended as a defense for Microsoft, just a dispassionate interpretation of what I feel must have happened to the Xbox team this generation.

I feel that the change in CEO at Microsoft had a devastating effect on the Xbox team's budget. I feel that it was either Terry Myerson or perhaps even Nadella himself who ordered Spencer to reign in costs for a while. The cut in funds meant that games like Recore and State of Decay 2 had to be released before they were ready just to bring in some revenue. This also limited how many new games could begin development at this time. A major game publisher needs a pipeline of games at various stages of development- some nearing completion, some just beginning and some in the middle of the dev cycle. A lack of new games in development at that time would result in a drought of titles 3 to 5 years later.

It is also known that Nadella asked why Microsoft is involved in video games. Spencer more than likely had to justify the existence of his team. Spencer was eventually able to win Nadella over and now Xbox is free from the Windows division, had a boost in funding and even has a seat at Nadella's inner Circle. Xbox now has unprecedented support from Microsoft and I think next gen will be Xbox's strongest showing yet.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
Most people don't have a gaming PC. If Joe Console Gamer wants to play Gears 5 then he is going to have to buy an Xbox. People with capable gaming PCs probably don't buy their multiplats on console, so Microsoft probably isn't losing much by allowing them to bypass the console ecosystem lockdown.

They clearly have their minds set on future markets with GamePass and Streaming.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Exclusives was not the issue with Xbone launch.

Also it had a bad stigma coming from the shit support MS showed 360 end of life. They "jumped" shipped to work on xbone titles. Bad move.

So yea not sure this will be what people complain about next gen. Especially with BC. Both X2 and PS5 will have tons of games day1.

danrbg

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 9, 2018
Most people don't have a gaming PC. If Joe Console Gamer wants to play Gears 5 then he is going to have to buy an Xbox. People with capable gaming PCs probably don't buy their multiplats on console, so Microsoft probably isn't losing much by allowing them to bypass the console ecosystem lockdown.

They clearly have their minds set on future markets with GamePass and Streaming.
When there is a thread of MS exclusives everyone suddenly has a high-end PC, but when Microsoft buys a studio it is bad because they can no longer play those games.

Last edited:

Dr Pears

Sep 9, 2018
The next xbox console itself will still be trashed for having no true exclusive as everything will be on PC.

Cordelia

Jan 25, 2019

The beautiful thing is that you don't need "gaming" PC. Work PC or student laptop is fine.

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Too many people are under the impression that all it takes to make great games is money. That couldn't be further from the truth.

Fostering a creative environment where people are motivated and can work together effectively is insanely difficult work. Distinguishing inspiring artistic leaders from the clinically insane is harder than you might think. Likewise, the difference between an exacting technical lead who pushes for the very best and an abrasive jerk who drives away talent isn't as evident as you might think. Keeping all these ingredients in balance while actually meetings schedules that are useful to your business? It's something that every console manufacturer tries again and again to foster, and only occasionally do they succeed. You never know when someone will join or leave a team and spoil a careful balance. It's possible nobody will have realized how much impact they'd have one way or another.

Now stir in a clash of cultures where someone pushes for the wrong thing at the wrong time and even a promising team can get discouraged. Or waste time on projects that look good on paper but don't pan out in practice. Or get rushed to market a year too early when they're still rough but a little polish would reveal a true gem.

It is, in a nutshell, a hellishly difficult thing to do well and harder still to do time and again.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
they're going through motions of having better 'exclusives' this go around, we'll see.

at this point playstation is HBO and xbox is Starz, reversing that isn't going to be an overnight thing

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
The next xbox console itself will still be trashed for having no true exclusive as everything will be on PC.

Gotta stop looking at it as Xbox and look at it as Microsoft. The days of being tied to specific Xbox Hardware are done. The true exclusives are the ones that require Microsoft platforms to access. You're not playing a single Microsoft game on Linux or SteamOS. It's gonna be Windows or it's not gonna be. Shit even the Xbox One runs on what appears to be modified Windows 8/10

NinjaBoiX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
nah, people will still use it as a barometer for "how bad xbox is compared to PS5"

its tribalism and silly as fuck
To be fair I don't think you can call acknowledging one systems exclusive content as better than another's as "silly as fuck tribalism". I'm not even sure how you got there.

It's a genuine factor to consider as a consumer. It's not empty, baseless name calling for the sake of it.

Obviously some people get carried away but some people are idiots.

KirikaPirin

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
Doubt that Xbox's first-party could ever match the quality of Sony's studios but we'll get some good/great games while many will be in a 7-8 range as gamepass absolutely needs a steady flow of games to keep subscribers.

Meliodas

Apr 7, 2019
That isn't the problem, but the lack of a continuous great hits is. Doesn't matter how many exclusives MS got if most of them are on the same level of quality and rushed development as SoT, SoD2 and CD3.

Microsoft real problem is the higher-up management not the studios or the developers, that has always been the case with MS.