• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TuMekeNZ

Oct 27, 2017
Auckland, New Zealand
Xbox/MS are more worried about tying people to their services than hardware. The will provide access for console gamers while allowing others to use their PC/tablet/mobile. The fact that they are now releasing games on Steam and Switch shows their intentions loud and clear.
Console remains important but in no way the most important thing anymore.
So if that means they have exclusives or not... that's subjective I guess, and ultimately doesn't matter that much.
Xbox console gamers will still get games to play on their console that aren't available on other consoles...

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Only people who never touched an Xbox One can honestly say it hasn't got good exclusives. I mean sure, most of it is on PC as well, but Forza Horizon 2-4, Halo 5, Gears 4 and 5, Forza Motorsport 5-7, the soon to be two Oris, Quantum Break, Sunset Overdrive, State Of Decay 2, Ryse, Killer Instinct, Rare Replay, Sea Of Thieves, Crackdown 3... many of these may not move units or hearts as much as BOTW or Uncharted 4 but they're pretty great.

Having said that, Xbox does have an issue producing quality content on a regular basis, which is one of the reasons they reshuffled things and bought a bunch of extremely talented studios, giving them free reign on what to do with all their games coming day 1 to Game Pass. While that was already "their" studio to begin with, Gears 5 is a good showing of the level of quality, creativity and polish you can expect. Exciting times ahead.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
I love Microsoft's games and always loved their consoles but as long as they release their stuff on PC, I see no reason for me to own one of their consoles or invest in their Windows Store (because stuff is coming to Steam). I really look forward to what they will do but I doubt I will buy an Xbox next gen (I don't own any X1 too but an Original Xb and a 360) and just upgrade my PC.

Joe White

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Availability > Exclusivity, I rather support entertainment provider that wants to reach more ppl than the one that tries to lock you to one mold.

discotrigger

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta stop looking at it as Xbox and look at it as Microsoft. The days of being tied to specific Xbox Hardware are done. The true exclusives are the ones that require Microsoft platforms to access. You're not playing a single Microsoft game on Linux or SteamOS. It's gonna be Windows or it's not gonna be. Shit even the Xbox One runs on what appears to be modified Windows 8/10

If Microsoft's games keep coming to Steam, there's a very good chance they'll be playable on Linux. Using Proton, most of their Steam library already is.

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
I'm hopeful but pessimistic. I'll believe it when I see it.

I am not happy with mostly shooters and racers.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Da thats a good point. Buying the game on steam an playing it on linux should illustrate how 'pc' is not neccesarily microsoft's platform.

SuperRaddy

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Why do they need to beat Sony? Why is there this constant need for Microsoft to chase Sony? Sony has their niche, and are very good at it. Microsoft is carving a new one based on a damn good service which is now the platform. So yeah they have exclusives. And out of the big 3 they have consistently been the best at delivering service oriented content. Microsoft is fine. They literally just released a game that dethroned Fortnite on their platform as the most played game based off the Early Access SKU. Xbox owners are eating fine.

Because people love to think of everything as winning or losing. It's a stupid mentality to have. All 3 big platform holders are doing great at the moment for differing reasons.

It's kind of the same mentality to have when people say MS has no exclusives now as the are on PC. Well not everyone has a gaming PC to play these games on there, or even want to game on PC either as they prefer the console ecosystem. So essentially they are exclusive for someone like that. (And if someone did buy on PC it's still a win for MS)

Their output nextgen will surely be better than this gen. I'm sure we'll see a mix of AA and AAA games for gamepass. They have a good variation of studios now so I'm looking forward to what will come.

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
If they keep releasing every single first party game on PC then Xbox will never have exclusives anymore, and Xbox will never be relevant in online console warz banter ever. Period.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Some people call anything also on PC as not exclusive so by that token, Xbox will never have exclusives again.

What they dont realize is that PC really equals Microsoft Windows, and MS has a vested interest in providing exclusive games for Microsoft Windows as much as for Xbox. MS are also aware the two dont cannibalize each others markets to any large degree.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
but what benefit do they get from having me on their ecosystem if I just play on PC and don't buy their console, and just get games which are not on steam(but I don't like the store) or just use the game pass? Moneywise that will bring them the games sold on digital and a few dolars from the pass, but overall?

"what benefit, other than my money, do they gain?"

???

Terror-Billy

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They are doing fine. Their ecosystem is not the Xbox console anymore. It's console, it's PC and with XCloud, it will expand a lot more to your cellphone and who knows. Yes, they handled their internal studios badly during this gen, but as many users have already said, they were under the Windows division and with a tight budget during the entirety of the gen.

Man we get these threads every other week it seems.

But with 15 studios what do you think? How will GP be supported?
Yup, it's kinda sad to see this every month. At this point, someone should just do an OT or something.

ERA's Weekly Concern About Microsoft | OT | What 15 Studios?

Deleted member 35204

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 3, 2017
Of the studios Microsoft has acquired this generation there is none that has a portfolio that even minimally interests me so until they prove me wrong with new IPs Xbox will continue to have nothing worthwhile.

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
It's still very possible that there are people whose interests aren't covered by Xbox's portfolio, but that segment has probably been greatly lessened via their slew of acquisitions. Obsidian + Double Fine is an annoyingly potent combination that makes me feel like I may be buying my first ever Xbox next generation. That or I'm building a PC. I had a good run.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
but what benefit do they get from having me on their ecosystem if I just play on PC and don't buy their console, and just get games which are not on steam(but I don't like the store) or just use the game pass? Moneywise that will bring them the games sold on digital and a few dolars from the pass, but overall?

3 years later and the joke Phil Spencer made about people acting like they found the loophole by buying games on PC is still relevant. They don't care where you buy the games. Xbox is an ecosystem and service platform now. An Xbox is one entry point into that ecosystem, but so is PC, or a cellphone using XCloud. I bet they'd love for a person to buy the $400 console but in the long run the hardware is not where they anticipate making their money. You might legitimately only bring in a few dollars to them overall, but a lot of the people will bring in much more.

Couchpotato

Nov 7, 2018
3 years later and the joke Phil Spencer made about people acting like they found the loophole by buying games on PC is still relevant. They don't care where you buy the games. Xbox is an ecosystem and service platform now. An Xbox is one entry point into that ecosystem, but so is PC, or a cellphone using XCloud. I bet they'd love for a person to buy the $400 console but in the long run the hardware is not where they anticipate making their money. You might legitimately only bring in a few dollars to them overall, but a lot of the people will bring in much more.
Yup. Just like Google doesn't give a shit if you are using their services on Android or iPhone, Mac or PC.

More Butter

Banned
Jun 12, 2018
Revenue? Is this a serious question? Purchasing ms games or subscribing on pc makes them money.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
As an Xbox One owner since the start of this generation, I've never once had a problem with a lack of exclusives. That said, I like games of many different genres, and for someone with specific tastes - especially if they're primarily into Japanese games - the situation might have been different. It's evident that we'll be seeing a lot more games exclusive to the Xbox ecosystem going forward, so the perception is going to change, there's little doubt about that. Of course, that doesn't mean that complaints from certain circles will cease, the goalposts will just be moved to new positions.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
so this is as good as Sony model overall?I wasn't sure.

Sony's model doesn't have to work for Microsoft and vice versa. Microsoft has transformed to a cloud and services company. Phil Spencer has convinced Nadella of the raison d'être of Xbox with this strategy. It strengthens their cloud business, their Windows business and most of all fits in the philosophy of MS being everywhere. On your phone, your TV and on your PC.

More Butter

Banned
Jun 12, 2018
Sony's model doesn't have to work for Microsoft and vice versa. Microsoft has transformed to a cloud and services company. Phil Spencer has convinced Nadella of the raison d'être of Xbox with this strategy. It strengthens their cloud business, their Windows business and most of all fits in the philosophy of MS being everywhere. On your phone, your TV and on your PC.

I think as the years go by Sony will have to adopt a similar model. Hell I wonder if they will announce a Gamepass type service at the start of next gen. Every Xbox release Gamepass gets more valuable and difficult to ignore the service if you are a gamer. At some point it's stupid not to subscribe.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I think as the years go by Sony will have to adopt a similar model. Hell I wonder if they will announce a Gamepass type service at the start of next gen. Every Xbox release Gamepass gets more valuable and difficult to ignore the service if you are a gamer. At some point it's stupid not to subscribe.

As long as their exclusives perform this well, I don't see an immediate shift happening.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
About damn time. Took them a whole gen to realise and it plans in motion.

But I gotta say things are looking waaay better than 6 years ago.

metalgear89

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User warned: Platform warring
"But gamepass" seems to be the usual response when questioning ms lack of quality output, and it actually gives people and excuse when they come out with garbage like crackdown 3. Gears was a good start but i don't see anything worth from their studios that can even come close to what sony have coming.

They're not Sony. They're doing their own thing.

Gamepass is a derivative of psnow, sony been doing it for years and if you have followed the last few months their quality is getting much better.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
No, because they aren't going to go back on supporting PC now.
Some of you do realize "Xbox has no exclusives" isn't people saying "MS make no games" right? Stop trying to change what exclusive means.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
No, because they aren't going to go back on supporting PC now.
Some of you do realize "Xbox has no exclusives" isn't people saying "MS make no games" right? Stop trying to change what exclusive means.
But Scarlett will have tons of console exclusives ;)
And we all know where most of those sales will happen

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Gamepass is a derivative of psnow, sony been doing it for years and if you have followed the last few months their quality is getting much better.

While this can be true, Sony's support of PS Now is still a little lackluster for me. Not just because I think Sony isn't pushing as hard, but because they have a different strategy than MS.

I'm not a console person. Never owned an Xbox, never owned a PlayStation. But I'm deep into MS' ecosystem thanks to GamePass. I want to play Dreams, God of War and Concrete Genie, but Sony isn't catering to my needs.

So while Game Pass could be a derivative of PS Now, due to company strategy it's a different service.

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was universally understood that both companies sell these consoles for pennies or at a a loss, they don't give a shit about console sales, they just want to put their storefront in front of your eyes 3 hours a day and hope you bite.

MS doesn't care how you play their games, PC or Xbox, Gamepass or Purchase, they just want you thinking about them so next time you have loose change in your pocket, you look their way.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
There's a sense of confusion surrounding this topic it seems. They never "had no exclusives". The issue was the quality, the consistency and the long term strategy when it comes to these games.

With new studios they'll be able to support their platform better, that is long term strategy seemingly sorted. Quality is a yet to be seen especially on the level of Nintendo and Sony. Then there's consistency. We'll have to wait and see.

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️
Exclusives don't matter anymore to me, and they will less in the future. Hell if the upgraded PSNOW is good, I'll be be able to play xbox, switch, and PlayStation games on PC.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
If Nintendo has an exclusive, first party, you always expect it to be 90+ and if it is 95+ you dont even get shocked. Sony is more in the 85+ and 90+ department. Microsoft? Seems like whenever something goes 85+ it is a relief that a great game is coming. They have studios but they need to start delivering and I am not sure it will happen as early as next gen (first half of next gen at least). They will be working on new IPs, that usually need a sequel to reach a really high score (for example Horizon was a great game, but now that the 2nd is probably coming they already have a solid foundation and know what people disliked to work on). See Assassins Creed 1 and 2, Uncharted 1 and 2, etc.