• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Well there it is. One year left before next-gen.

Also, hardware-based ray-tracing!

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
Sony Interactive Entertainment CEO Jim Ryan is still ready to answer it. The console, he tells me, will be called PlayStation 5. "It's nice to be able to say it," he says. "Like a giant burden has been lifted from my shoulders."

Why the hell is he talking about it like he's coming out of the closet or something?

"It's nice to be able to say it"
Fuck off.

Also, "PlayStation 5"? Pre-order cancelled.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
I really like this quote:

Also, while it seems obvious that it'll release holidays 2020, the article doesn't necessarily quote anyone saying that, yet it just somehow says it.

The guy confirms the name "PlayStation 5," but nowhere is he quoted as saying holidays 2020.
PlayStation official Twitter account said "launching next holiday"

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017

Also, while it seems obvious that it'll release holidays 2020, the article doesn't necessarily quote anyone saying that. It reads as if the author just jumps to that conclusion.

The person confirms the name "PlayStation 5," but nowhere are they quoted as saying holidays 2020.

Ojli

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
Also, confirmed that Ghost of Tsushima is this gen. I think some might have believed that it would end up as a next-gen title, but now we know it's before that.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how GIGANTIC the size of this thing is going to be.

I expect launch year to be pretty killer. There are a lot of interesting games with a 2020 launch title that are undoubtedly going to be cross platform.

Feb 10, 2018
I don't get these tid bits of info. It's better then nothing I suppose.

Also I do wonder if this "the generation of immediatcy" was hatched from the minds of business people and think tanks figuring out ways to maximise profits.
No doubt having quicker access to games is great but I don't wonder if that is a side effect and not the main goal.

Deleted member 9317

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
The PS5 will change that. "Even though it will be fairly fast to boot games, we don't want the player to have to boot the game, see what's up, boot the game, see what's up," Cerny says. "Multiplayer game servers will provide the console with the set of joinable activities in real time. Single-player games will provide information like what missions you could do and what rewards you might receive for completing them—and all of those choices will be visible in the UI. As a player you just jump right into whatever you like."

-----------

THIS IS AMAZING.

OP
OP
Kolx

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017

Also, while it seems obvious that it'll release holidays 2020, the article doesn't necessarily quote anyone saying that. It reads as if the author just jumps to that conclusion.

The person confirms the name "PlayStation 5," but nowhere are they quoted as saying holidays 2020.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
Hold on - isn't that sales pitch for installing games the very same one that laid out for the PS4? That didn't really manifest did it?

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Jimbo out of nowhere with the PS5 info.
EsN4wVl.gif

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Also, it seems like the devkit that leaked is real, so.... what in the world is this thing actually going to look like? We're really gonna have the world engine under our TVs?!

Oct 31, 2017
PS5 is the name and the controller looks like a DualShock?! What the hell, Sony really is full of risk takers, big dreamers, and quirky creatives.

That said, happy to hear Ray Tracing is being supported. I'll be there day one for the next Spidey.

score01

Oct 27, 2017
What is it with Sony and dropping info bombs on random Tuesdays? 😂

Some great confirmations and info in there.

Prime2

Oct 25, 2017
The PS5 will change that. "Even though it will be fairly fast to boot games, we don't want the player to have to boot the game, see what's up, boot the game, see what's up," Cerny says. "Multiplayer game servers will provide the console with the set of joinable activities in real time. Single-player games will provide information like what missions you could do and what rewards you might receive for completing them—and all of those choices will be visible in the UI. As a player you just jump right into whatever you like."

-----------

THIS IS AMAZING.

Uh depending on how thats laid out on a UI it could be hugely annoying, it is a nice idea but will very much depend on how they figure out to show it.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
SO MANY GOOD DETAILS HERE
I especially like loading a save file/mission from the UI, i mentioned this exact idea a few weeks ago, and its awesome.

OléGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Airborne Aquarium
That new Dualshock 5 with adaptive triggers and haptic feedback sounds really fucking cool.
Like the article mentions traversing landscapes such as ice or sand can give an entirely different feel and have gameplay ramifications too.

Nice to get some official random PS5 info on a Tuesday haha!

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Also, confirmed that Ghost of Tsushima is this gen. I think some might have believed that it would end up as a next-gen title, but now we know it's before that.

If some might've thought that they had weird ideas. It was always confirmed to be coming to PS4 and the demo was running on PS4 (Pro) as well. If anything it will be a cross gen title depending on how late next year it releases.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
I'd like to hear from EA if they have plans to dispense of aggressive surprise mechanics in tandem with this bright sparkly future of max graphics.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
SSD really kills my hype. I'm a digital only customer, smaller size drives won't do any good for me. Games will be 100 gb minimum next gen, I need at least 5 tbs of storage.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
The haptic feedback sounds nice, but the Dualshock 5 better have some paddles as well.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Oh baby give me the scoop

I had a feeling Demons Souls Remake would be a PS5 marquee title

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
So is "Ray Tracing Remaster" going to become the new "HD Remaster" for next-gen? I don't really understand the tech but that seems like an obvious, impressive-sounding buzzword to get people to rebuy current-gen games.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Load times were one of the biggest problems with Demon's Souls on the PS3 so I'd be all for a PS5 remaster if that's what Bluepoint is working on. Although what I'd really like them to do is a Siren trilogy collection with all the later game QoL improvements brought back into the earlier games.