• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Kolx Can you please add the PS Blog article to your OP: https://blog.us.playstation.com/201...next-gen-playstation-5-launches-holiday-2020/ ?

It has more details about the DS5 feedback.

I like how the writer in wired article asked: is that a microphone? And he talked after about the voice assitant. this is what I hoped for: an integrated microphone in the DS5 so everyone could use voice chats in games and not just 1% of players, also this could be used even in SP gameplay and devs could target their games with it.

From the description of DualShock 5, this will be like the HD rumble from Switch + the trigger rumble from Xbox One.

I don't know how this would be possible to be felt on some surrounding pieces of plastic envelopping the inner rumble motors unless it's this:

My read on that is that the 'feel' of the analog sticks can be affected - perhaps somehow feedback can directed at and through the analog stick, or maybe even there are specific per-stick motors. They talk about 'texture' there in the context of motion, and the Wired article talks about a sensation of walking on ice vs plodding through mud. So I think it is something to do with the analog stick specifically and its relationship with the rumble, and how that can be used to change the feel of motion under control of the stick (rather than the sense of what your other fingers are feeling on the pad).

That and the 'actual' force feedback/programmable resistance in the triggers sound like the two biggest departures from what we've had to date.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
In our current timeline, in no shape or form is a PlayStation console a niche product.

Not from a revenue standpoint.

Not from a commercial standpoint.

First I've heard any one associate niche with PlayStation.
Well he was talking about console gaming in general is niche compared to mobile gaming which is statistically correct .

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
My read on that is that the 'feel' of the analog sticks can be affected - perhaps somehow feedback can directed at and through the analog stick, or maybe even there are specific per-stick motors. They talk about 'texture' there in the context of motion, and the Wired article talks about a sensation of walking on ice vs plodding through mud. So I think it is something to do with the analog stick specifically and its relationship with the rumble, and how that can be used to change the feel of motion under control of the stick (rather than the sense of what your other fingers are feeling on the pad).

That and the 'actual' force feedback/programmable resistance in the triggers sound like the two biggest departures from what we've had to date.

If there is a resiatance according to actions and locations in both triggers and even sticks, then this would be very bothersome to play in fast paced games. Imagine walking on the icy lake in Fortnite and this makes the movement and stick very slippery, or walking in water which makes the stick heavier, shooting a bow (if unvaulted) or other heavy weapon will make triggers so resistant. All thsoe actions would break the controller in the first second. I don't think this could work in such fast paced MP games.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
If there is a resiatance according to actions and locations in both triggers and even sticks, then this would be very bothersome to play in fast paced games. Imagine walking on the icy lake in Fortnite and this makes the movement and stick very slippery, or walking in water which makes the stick heavier, shooting a bow (if unvaulted) or other heavy weapon will make triggers so resistant. All thsoe actions would break the controller in the first second. I don't think this could work in such fast paced MP games.

Oh it'll be totally up to the dev how to implement it, and how it fits in the cognitive load on the player for their game. And obviously some games - like fast-rate gunplay games - might not want to actually simulate a kind of realistic resistance in a trigger or whatever. Of course.

If you mean breaking the controller - as in physically breaking the controller - we can only hope the trigger mechanism is robust!

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Oh it'll be totally up to the dev how to implement it, and how it fits in the cognitive load on the player for their game. And obviously some games - like fast-rate gunplay games - might not want to actually simulate a kind of realistic resistance in a trigger or whatever. Of course.

If you mean breaking the controller - as in physically breaking the controller - we can only hope the trigger mechanism is robust!

I hope so.

Lokimaster

Alt Account
Banned
May 12, 2019
They did that for PS4 and it worked out for them. I am finding it weird they are releasing bit's of info on random day. Casual fan's won't be following site's for bit's of info while big conference would have gotten their attention.

Oh and PS5 is trending as the number 1 topic on twitter all day today. Its safe to say the casuals know lol

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Holiday 2020 isn't surprising.

I love how the devkit looks like an NEC CoreGrafx from the future.
ps5_devkit_patent_3d_render_1.jpg

NEC-PC-Engine-Core-Grafx-Console-FL.jpg

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Boooooooo. They mentioned the thumbsticks feeling different on ice vs mud, so that had me really hyped. Oh well.

There's varying resistance on the one hand, and - say - something like directed vibration through the sticks on the other. He talks about a high frequency vibration changing how the motion felt, so I kind of wonder if there has to be some way to direct feedback specifically to change how the stick 'feels' even if the actual mechanical resistance of the stick is constant. I'm not sure how the analog control could feel so different from a more general grip-vibration, but maybe I'm imagining it wrong.

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
There's varying resistance on the one hand, and - say - something like directed vibration through the sticks on the other. He talks about a high frequency vibration changing how the motion felt, so I kind of wonder if there has to be some way to direct feedback specifically to change how the stick 'feels' even if the actual mechanical resistance of the stick is constant. I'm not sure how the analog control could feel so different from a more general grip-vibration, but maybe I'm imagining it wrong.
I guess we'll just have to wait until the controller is out of prototype phase to get any concrete details on it.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Can you speak from the perspective of a big PlayStation fan?

From what I've seen, PlayStation fans have already expressed favour in regards to how Sony used Wired previously to announce the next-gen console and things like the SSD and Spider-Man demo.

I prefer this approach because it allows the finer details to be discussed and digested in isolation rather than getting a massive all-encompassing dump of info and have both ourselves and news outlets sift through them hoping that everything gets picked up.
It doesn't really matter to me. Info is info. At least this way I don't miss anything since it's an article.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017

I actually think some games are going to make people think their triggers are broken.

For example I could imagine a game maintaining a certain resistance in the triggers, and then when you run out of ammo, dropping the resistance to the minimum, making the trigger 'give way' and purposely feel completely slack... and then only regaining normal resistance when you pick up some ammo again. I can see people thinking, in that moment, that the trigger button actually broke...

(I'm assuming there is a range of resistances, from the very slack, to basically zero travel at all, and the possibility to move the trigger to a specific location before locking that resistance in. But maybe there are limits...perhaps the button can't be entirely slack. I think it would be cool to have that full range though.)

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
I actually think some games are going to make people think their triggers are broken.

For example I could imagine a game maintaining a certain resistance in the triggers, and then when you run out of ammo, dropping the resistance to the minimum, making the trigger 'give way' and purposely feel completely slack... and then only regaining normal resistance when you pick up some ammo again. I can see people thinking, in that moment, that the trigger button actually broke...

That sounds awesome.

John Wick

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
"However, game installation (which is mandatory, given the speed difference between the SSD and the optical drive) will be a bit different than in the PS4. This time around, aided in part by the simplified game data possible with the SSD, Sony is changing its approach to storage, making for a more configurable installation—and removal—process. "Rather than treating games like a big block of data," Cerny says, "we're allowing finer-grained access to the data." That could mean the ability to install just a game's multiplayer campaign, leaving the single-player campaign for another time, or just installing the whole thing and then deleting the single-player campaign once you've finished it."

That is the bit that got me really excited and interested. Keep the bits of the game you want to keep and uninstall the rest. Sounds fantastic.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017

This would be very entertaining and awkward. :D
I hoep they keep such quirky behaviours to SP only games or to MP games that are not fats paced.
I woudl love to see reactiosn liek that. :p

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
This article and the follow ups from devs all confirm that the DevKits etc are in developers hands. So what the hell was up with that article posted talking about publishers being "concerned" about how little info they are getting about PS5 from Sony a few days back??

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah the marketing team at Sony has one of easiest jobs ever when it comes to name their consoles lol

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
They should call it the PlayStation 5iVe. That looks like "Five," but the V also stands for five, and the 5 stands for five. That way, you know it's the PS5.

High five!

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
This article and the follow ups from devs all confirm that the DevKits etc are in developers hands. So what the hell was up with that article posted talking about publishers being "concerned" about how little info they are getting about PS5 from Sony a few days back??

Found it.

Thread here
A few quotes

Thoughts from a 3rd Party Developer on PS5 Transition

Article goes on to talk about the problems between Ryan and Layden. More at the link.

TrAcEr_x90

Oct 27, 2017
So is it going to have RGB lighting? Would be cool if you can setup color changes or turn it off all together.

Sedated

Apr 13, 2018
It hasn't had an official reveal event yet but all this news sounds good. Ps5 seems to be turning into quite a product with compelling features. Though it is these features as well that pretty much confirms the console will not be 400. Im betting on 500 and I think it shouldn't have any issues at that price as long as the games are there day 1.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
PS5 has been the easiest console of all time to pre-order / get on Day one.

Closing the Generation with The Last Of Us 2, Ghost of Tsuchima and Final Fantasy 7 is the biggest slap of "I got you fam" when purchasing your successor.
Yup, great ending lineup.
And great new games that only have had one installment and are primed for huge sequels for next-gen.

Everything sounds great so far. Just hope I can pre-order on time.
This.