• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017
Wtf is his marketing, seriously. I appreciate them being so upfront about everything but it just feels so... bootleg? Like where's my fancy reveal conference with bullshit CGI and on-stage console? Whats going on? Where am I? Who am I?

that's coming next, this was just to tease some fairly minor stuff and a release window :D you know they can cover the headlines longer with a dripfeed rather than just one conference

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
I'm curious to feel the new types of feedback in the controller since the Switch's HD rumble has been a dud for the most part. I'm glad they're not changing too much about it so far. Glad to hear the speaker is back and is even better, so I'm hoping that means the touchpad also returns.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Oooh. So the haptic/force-feedback stuff in triggers that was patented as part of the VR controller patents are making it into the standard gamepad? That is cool. It can apply a force in the opposite direction to your 'push'. One of the examples given in the patents was a tension on a trigger, or to give the sensation of a trigger 'snapping'/breaking, by applying resistance to stop you pulling the trigger any further, and then suddenly releasing it so the trigger suddenly 'gives'.

edit - by the description in the Wired article, it sounds like another bit of r&d that appeared in a patent application might be getting employed - haptic feedback through the analog sticks. Giving different feel to different motion. " On ice, a high-frequency response made the thumbsticks really feel like my character was gliding. "

Last edited:

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
tenor.gif

tenor.gif

OléGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Airborne Aquarium
While it is nice to get any info on next gen consoles, a serious question for the die hard Sony fans. I see some saying how cool it is to just drop additional info in a Wired article on a random Tuesday, but wouldn't fans actually enjoy or get more hyped if Sony had done some of this type of thing during a 25 year PlayStation anniversary event this fall? I am just saying regardless of PR techniques it doesn't seem that a big fan would prefer this approach.

Nah mate.
This sort of general tech is perfect for a random Tuesday drop.

Anniversary period or conferences are time to see ACTUAL software.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I feel like Bluepoint's game is gonna be a Demon's Souls remake ready for the launch of the PS5. Will make it hard to ignore the PS5 on day 1 if that is the case.

It will make the PS5 easy to ignore in my opinion

I don't get why people want to start a new gen with a remaster

Don't you want as many new games and some new IP as is possible?

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
So far, so good for Playstation fans out there. I'm just waiting for Jim Ryan to go full Jim Ryan.

sigh.

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
It's interesting that they don't say anything about the battery life of the new controller, that's the only real upgrade I need going from the DS4.

Unkindled

Nov 27, 2018
They should be holding a conference to dump all the information at once. Seem's like they want to trickle in the information randomly.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man I don't even know what the fuck Ray Tracing is. I've googled it before and I still don't get it lmao.

I won't understand how much of a leap next-gen is until I see a gameplay demo.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm hoping we see SW Battlefront 3 launch with this next year. Then we can see some real Rey tracing.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I'm guessing they're doing this so early to get ahead of any leaks. IIRC last time Giant Bomb basically posted a full breakdown of what the PS4 hardware would be like, so doing it like this basically makes any future leaks that aren't game related less significant and they control the message.

I wonder when the full reveal will be, though. March?

TRUE ORDER

Oct 30, 2017
Who would have guessed the name... lol

Excited to see it being confirmed for the holidays!! Can't wait to know more

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
They should be holding a conference to dump all the information at once. Seem's like they want to trickle in the information randomly.

They'll hold a press conference for the substantial stuff. Like the console itself, the games that we're going to see as well as specific hardware details. The stuff they're saying here is largely generic.

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Those of you wondering why information like this is dropped on a Tuesday, just think about who actually cares about details like this. People who are avidly into gaming and care enough to visit a forum like this on a daily basis, probably. For the masses, this is just side chatter. Why not, then, release a few details like this on a Tuesday and save the important things that most of the general public cares about for a bigger event?

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It might sound backwards to some, but PS should follow MS's lead and allow batteries in their controllers. Enloops are great.

Knuf

Oct 28, 2017
wired.com said:
Combined with an improved speaker on the controller, the haptics can enable some astonishing effects. First, I play through a series of short demos, courtesy of the same Japan Studio team that designed PlayStation VR's Astro Bot Rescue Mission. In the most impressive, I ran a character through a platform level featuring a number of different surfaces, all of which gave distinct—and surprisingly immersive—tactile experiences.

Fuck, there goes any hope I had for an Astro Bot sequel... :(

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
All that that info about in game stuff like missions, rewards and the like at the OS level just seems completely unnecessary, at least to me. Waste of resources and more work for devs.

Dec 6, 2017
US
They confirmed it back in april https://www.theverge.com/2019/4/16/...s-ray-tracing-ssds-ps4-backward-compatibility

It's definitely a big deal for me since I've only gone more and more digital.

Thanks for the link. Also a big deal and large selling point for me honestly.

Man I don't even know what the fuck Ray Tracing is. I've googled it before and I still don't get it lmao.

I won't understand how much of a leap next-gen is until I see a gameplay demo.

That makes two of us. I've watched videos and I have no fucking clue what it is and does unfortunately.

Nope. All PS4 games, no matter the format, will be playable.

Fuck yeah...