• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
The Ray tracing thing will be great, But im sure it will only be for 30fps games. I dont think there is any way, a console will be able to power ray tracing at 4k 60fps, when most power full PC's struggle to do so.
They still seem to be finding ways to optimise it, find tricks to use lower sample rates and fill in the gaps better.. that's what I'm guessing RT will be like on the consoles. Some games will feature high quality RT but might be simpler games overall, others will use it sparingly but for the most impact, reflective surfaces and shadows only.. it's still early days and software can help, and will help make the most of whatever we're gonna get.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
The Ray tracing thing will be great, But im sure it will only be for 30fps games. I dont think there is any way, a console will be able to power ray tracing at 4k 60fps, when most power full PC's struggle to do so.

First there are optimisations to the metal levels on consoles. Games don'thave to use full RT features, dynamic GI, RT shadows, RT reflections, RT AO etc... They can use one feature like RT shadows only and this can work for some limited games in scope liek sport games (no need for reflections in stadiums full of grass), or some smaller games like chess games that can afford to use all RT features (it should be even mandatory for such games).

Edit:

They still seem to be finding ways to optimise it, find tricks to use lower sample rates and fill in the gaps better.. that's what I'm guessing RT will be like on the consoles. Some games will feature high quality RT but might be simpler games overall, others will use it sparingly but for the most impact, reflective surfaces and shadows only.. it's still early days and software can help, and will help make the most of whatever we're gonna get.

Hey dude you were few seconds faster. Not fair. :p

crimilde

Oct 26, 2017
What does USB type C mean?

The future!

61ZY5jcW3BL._SX569_.jpg

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
First there are optimisations to the metal levels on consoles. Games don'thave to use full RT features, dynamic GI, RT shadows, RT reflections, RT AO etc... They can use one feature like RT shadows only and this can work for some limited games in scope liek sport games (no need for reflections in stadiums full of grass), or some smaller games like chess games that can afford to use all RT features (it should be even mandatory for such games).

Edit:

Hey dude you were few seconds faster. Not fair. :p
Your answer is more complete and damn, I was thinking about a chess game as well. Gonna get some first class pinball games and virtual board games and the like, lots of glossy marble! Cannot wait for the first glimpses of next gen games. 2020 please hurry up.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Your answer is more complete and damn, I was thinking about a chess game as well. Gonna get some first class pinball games and virtual board games and the like, lots of glossy marble! Cannot wait for the first glimpses of next gen games. 2020 please hurry up.

Yeah Hustle Kings in RT and Chess Master in RT are obvious things 100% to happen and Knack 3 in RT has to happen too as a showcase of such tech made by Cerny master. Imagine all those balls circling around Knack with shiny reflections everywhere. :p

Mr_Antimatter

Oct 28, 2017
I'd think the main benefit of USB C woudl finally be ditching those current usb mini cords as well as greater speeds for stuff like external HDDs.

Elios83

Oct 28, 2017
Out of nowhere again :D
Btw the Dualshock 5 details are pretty nice, hopefully the haptic feedback will be a more powerful and refined solution than the HD rumble in the Nintendo Switch, adaptive triggers are really nice as well.
Hardware accelerated ray tracing being confirmed is an other important detail although honestly it was kinda obvious except to the usual console warriors who where hoping it was not the case....there was no reason to be the first to specifically announce something they actually didn't have.
New OS/UI features are interesting, so basically people will have the possibility to directly jump into certain activities or parts of a game from the OS without the traditional "boot game->choose in a series of menus what to do->loading" sequence. Installing just the parts of a game that are of interest (single player/multiplayer, maybe just a particular language in a localization and so on) is also pretty cool.
I guess that that the next update we will get will be a proper presentation in February. Given the months passed between these two first updates the timing seems right.

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
Was always Team 2020. 2019 seemed too soon and 2021 too late.

Ironically, feel like 2012 is when current generation should've started. PS4 and XBO still feel like they have juice left in them whereas the PS3 felt like it was already gassed out by 2011.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
This article and the follow ups from devs all confirm that the DevKits etc are in developers hands. So what the hell was up with that article posted talking about publishers being "concerned" about how little info they are getting about PS5 from Sony a few days back??

this is what i was saying..the whole article was based on speculation.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
If it hasn't been said already, I wouldn't put too much concern into any descriptions of the controller at the moment. The final PS5 design itself likely isn't completed, and it almost definitely is the same situation for the DS5.

I imagine they're still prototyping it at the moment and that it's easier for them to just use a DS4 shell with (some of) the newer tech stuffed into it for testing and tweaking purposes. IIRC, they did the same thing with weird looking rigged up DS3-looking pads before the DS4 was fully ready.

Mgs2master2

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
V has come too

I couldn't resist.

im reading all this stuff, any word on BC or am i just missing it?

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
Was always Team 2020. 2019 seemed too soon and 2021 too late.

Ironically, feel like 2012 is when current generation should've started. PS4 and XBO still feel like they have juice left in them whereas the PS3 felt like it was already gassed out by 2011.
Perhaps, but PS3's 2013 was very strong just looking at Sony games, with God of War Ascension, The Last of Us, GT6, Puppeteer, Sly Cooper: Thieves In Time, and Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus.

Binabik15

Oct 28, 2017
When your mother tells you a date for the new PS5 was announced you spent too much time on Brexit and crazy president news. Geez.

nujabeans

Dec 2, 2017
It's crazy to think that talks of ray-tracing in consoles started as early as the PS2, as sort of the next big thing that will change graphics in video games — and we will finally get it just 3 generations later.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Same cable type in most modern phones. Can be plugged in either direction instead of just one way like Micro USB. Also allows higher data speeds, but I don't know what they could entail for the PS5, if anything.
My headphones, cell phone, iPad & GoPro all have USB-C. It's freaking amazing.

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
Oct 27, 2017
  • Kingdom Hearts
  • RE2make
  • Apex Legends
  • DMC
  • Division 2
  • Metro Exodus
  • DMC5
  • Sekiro
  • Days Gone
  • A Plague's Innocene
  • Mortal Kombat 11
  • Control
  • Gears of War 5
  • Astral Chain
  • Borderlands 3
  • Death Stranding
  • Star Wars The Fallen Jedi
  • CoD Modern Warfare
  • Zelda Links Awakening
This year has been fantastic.
The lack of Ace GOTY Combat is a sad omission from this list :(

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
Perhaps, but PS3's 2013 was very strong just looking at Sony games, with God of War Ascension, The Last of Us, GT6, Puppeteer, Sly Cooper: Thieves In Time, and Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus.
Sony games, yes but the industry was moving along and both consoles were aging fast. Third party games makes the majority of both console makers line-ups and the games were simply not running well on both consoles, especially PS3. Sony's first party and second party studios make games specifically within the limitations of their platforms however.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
Omg this is so exciting.

Buying a new/replacement DS5 is gonna cost at least $80 isn't it 😂

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
4k bluray movies is not confirmed yet

"Ultra HD Blu-rayについて

物理メディアがUltra HD Blu-rayになるということは、市販のUltra HD Blu-rayの映像ソフトも再生できるのだろうか。これについてSIE広報部に確認したところ、「メディアプレイヤーの機能など、これまでに発表したもの以外の機能は未発表のため、今後の発表をお待ちください」との回答。再生に関する回答は得られなかったが、これまでのプレイステーションフォーマットは、PS1ならCDプレイヤー、PS2ならDVDプレイヤーと、対応メディア"のプレイヤー機能は必ず実装されてきた。この流れを考えると、PS5はUltra HD Blu-rayの映像再生機能も備えると思われるが……?"

About Ultra HD Blu-ray

If the physical media becomes Ultra HD Blu-ray, is it possible to play commercially available Ultra HD Blu-ray video software? After confirming this with the SIE Public Relations Department, "Please wait for future announcements, as functions other than those announced so far, such as media player functions, have not been announced yet." Although there was no answer regarding playback, the PlayStation format so far has always implemented the player function of compatible media, such as CD player for PS1 and DVD player for PS2. Considering this trend, it seems that PS5 is also equipped with Ultra HD Blu-ray video playback function ...?

dmoe

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll remain convinced that they'll stick with the golden $399 price point until proven otherwise.

There's no doubt that Sony knows these articles are hitting before their competition. But I don't see them being as reactionary as your post implies.
They charged 399 without a 4k drive no way this is 399.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Andthat is where I read everywhere tonot use them cus they fry the battery.

Moral of the story is don't believe everything you read! Because that's nonsense.

Can you buy a shit charger? Of course, that's true for every device. Doesn't mean all chargers are shit. Just like anything else, you buy a good one.

Let me ask you this. Sony licenses official chargers. You think they would do that if plugging the DS4 into the wall "fried" the battery?

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
4k bluray movies is not confirmed yet

"Ultra HD Blu-rayについて

物理メディアがUltra HD Blu-rayになるということは、市販のUltra HD Blu-rayの映像ソフトも再生できるのだろうか。これについてSIE広報部に確認したところ、「メディアプレイヤーの機能など、これまでに発表したもの以外の機能は未発表のため、今後の発表をお待ちください」との回答。再生に関する回答は得られなかったが、これまでのプレイステーションフォーマットは、PS1ならCDプレイヤー、PS2ならDVDプレイヤーと、対応メディア"のプレイヤー機能は必ず実装されてきた。この流れを考えると、PS5はUltra HD Blu-rayの映像再生機能も備えると思われるが……?"

About Ultra HD Blu-ray

If the physical media becomes Ultra HD Blu-ray, is it possible to play commercially available Ultra HD Blu-ray video software? After confirming this with the SIE Public Relations Department, "Please wait for future announcements, as functions other than those announced so far, such as media player functions, have not been announced yet." Although there was no answer regarding playback, the PlayStation format so far has always implemented the player function of compatible media, such as CD player for PS1 and DVD player for PS2. Considering this trend, it seems that PS5 is also equipped with Ultra HD Blu-ray video playback function ...?
Weird, they straight-up confirmed 4K Blu-Ray support in the Wired article.
Either way, physical games for the PS5 will use 100-GB optical disks, inserted into an optical drive that doubles as a 4K Blu-ray player.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
So when will the PS4 Pro get a price drop? Shit basically hasn't moved since it came out, except it includes a game usually these days. Where's the £250 Pro with a game?

Also, I guess this means no PS4 Pro slim. :(

Livetohard378

Self-requested ban
Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Just hope the new controller is comfortable. As someone with carpal tunnel and tendinitis, the DS4 hurts like hell.