• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
The Ray tracing thing will be great, But im sure it will only be for 30fps games. I dont think there is any way, a console will be able to power ray tracing at 4k 60fps, when most power full PC's struggle to do so.
Games won't have full RT not even at 30fps... real RT is taxing as hell, it will be some specific effect like we have already seen with RTX, nothing more.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
Finally the cat is outta the bag. PS5 has an OK ring to it. Curious to read more specs as they get released.

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Mostly every comment here are throwing shade @ Sony; well, they didn't have to confirm anything. There's some neat technical details & even developer responses too.

Idk why everyone isn't excited. 2020 will be incredible for gamers!

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The announcement tweet is currently (probably) the most liked PlayStation related tweet ever.

180k. Also, maybe it is cheating but PlayStation Japan account also has the same tweet in japanese and it got 80k. Which means 260k...

Freaking crazy exposure.

the_kaotek1

Oct 25, 2017
My only worry is how we'll be able to expand our storage. Traditionally they never give enough and given it's custom I doubt we'll just be able to run out and buy a bigger drive.

klauskpm

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
The thing that makes me most excited about the controllers, is imagining playing PSVR with a new move controller. If they don't do it, they fucked up.

RangerBAD

Oct 25, 2017
Unless adaptive triggers can be turned off or be used to make trigger presses much easier, it sounds absolutely horrible for disabled people like me with weak or weakening hands. Also it seems like all buttons will be like that? A heavier controller too? Jesus...

Lokimaster

Alt Account
Banned
May 12, 2019
Guys you don't have to worry about PS4 games being improved on PS5. Most of the new games on PS4 are all running dynamic resolution, meaning that when the ps5 comes out, it will run the games all pushed to native 4K. Devs right now have been given info from Sony to use dynamic resolutions, so that it will hit native 4K on PS5, without needing a patch.

Harlequin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Unless adaptive triggers can be turned off or be used to make trigger presses much easier, it sounds absolutely horrible for disabled people like me with weak or weakening hands. Also it seems like all buttons will be like that? A heavier controller too? Jesus...
I think it's a great feature and it will undoubtedly lead to some innovative design ideas and a greater sense of immersion but yeah, they will have to include accessibility options for it. Either at the system level or they'll have to make it mandatory for every developer to include in their games. As for the weight, they've said that it'll still be lighter than the current Xbox controllers so it should be fine.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Would be cool if Rocket League would let you jump straight into matchmaking for whatever gameplay type you choose. Straight into a ranked match, bypass the menu.. for all the 3 seconds that will save you it will be a cool feature, especially since presumably the game will literally load into that in a second or two..

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Loving this news. I'm still betting on a screen built into the DS5 to replace the touchpad. Functionality may vary from OS functions to remote play to second screen, but I'm betting it'll be there.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
Wasn't Apple working on a touch screen that could simulate texture, and temperatures?

That would be revolutionary imo, I wish we had something like that on the handles.

VFX_Veteran

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Chatting with some birds, I had to troll them for being forced to refactor their entire rendering engine around this "paged" system SSD just to get more content within a scene. Again, we are trying to adjust to the hardware that's only going to be relevant for 6yrs at most. If I were one of the head players, I'd make 2 code bases on our graphics engine. 1) for the current PS5 and all of it's unorthodox hardware to get around price limitations and 2) a full on engine that uses brute force high memory, enhanced subsystems and tomorrow's GPU architecture for when they will inevitably have to switch back over once the price of hardware drops to managable levels. No way I'm refactoring my engine with every release. That's nuts!!

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Got the chance to read the full thing earlier.

Everything sounds juicy.

That Bluepoint drop was unexpected heat.
Yeah, didn't expect the sudden quote from Bluepoint in there too when I was reading it.
Also beyond the great hardware and controller info that more live UI and modular installs sounds great too.

Whoa shit I missed this detail!

4k movie support is awesome! 4k movies are amazing. Best way to watch a movie if you have the screen/sound for it.
Yeah, I love my 4K blu-rays on my OLED.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
Transferring the game from an external HDD should be faster than downloading 100GB of data every time you want to replay a game.

It's that, or get used to deleting/downloading the game everytime. And we have a ton of digital pack rats in era.

I doubt you'd be able to play it off an external drive.

And maybe it will possible to do better and use an external SSD as storage the transfer will be faster.

WarioLuigi22

alt account
Banned
May 11, 2019
Chatting with some birds, I had to troll them for being forced to refactor their entire rendering engine around this "paged" system SSD just to get more content within a scene. Again, we are trying to adjust to the hardware that's only going to be relevant for 6yrs at most. If I were one of the head players, I'd make 2 code bases on our graphics engine. 1) for the current PS5 and all of it's unorthodox hardware to get around price limitations and 2) a full on engine that uses brute force high memory, enhanced subsystems and tomorrow's GPU architecture for when they will inevitably have to switch back over once the price of hardware drops to managable levels. No way I'm refactoring my engine with every release. That's nuts!!
Can someone explain what he means here in simpler terms? Interesting post

KCroxtonJr

Oct 28, 2017
Man, next gen is going to be absolutely insane, and the DS5 sounds like it's going to be amazing with the tactile feedback. I usually turn off rumble on the system level, but the new stuff sounds really good.

Really curious to see what MS is bringing to the table now

CyclotronHGA

Oct 26, 2017
Sounds great and all but if this launches at anything more than 399, it's toast

People nowadays pay $1k for a phone, so I don't think launching at a price point higher than $399 will hurt sales. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I'd happily pay more than $399 if it means the PS5 is super powerful, runs cool, quiet and doesn't sound like a jet taking off.

Oct 25, 2017
People nowadays pay $1k for a phone, so I don't think launching at a price point higher than $399 will hurt sales. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I'd happily pay more than $399 if it means the PS5 is super powerful, runs cool, quiet and doesn't sound like a jet taking off.
Agreed.

With what they're putting in these boxes, it will be worth the $499.