• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
People nowadays pay $1k for a phone, so I don't think launching at a price point higher than $399 will hurt sales. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I'd happily pay more than $399 if it means the PS5 is super powerful, runs cool, quiet and doesn't sound like a jet taking off.

I will highly disappointed in $399 because that will mean something was really skimped on. $499 is a good price point. Don't want another PS4 struggling right out of the gate.

Oct 25, 2017
While it is nice to get any info on next gen consoles, a serious question for the die hard Sony fans. I see some saying how cool it is to just drop additional info in a Wired article on a random Tuesday, but wouldn't fans actually enjoy or get more hyped if Sony had done some of this type of thing during a 25 year PlayStation anniversary event this fall? I am just saying regardless of PR techniques it doesn't seem that a big fan would prefer this approach.
Well, I don't think this is coming at the cost of an event. The PS Meeting will still most likely happen. So, instead of it being another boring Tuesday, it is a day to discuss a few more things about an upcoming console. Win/win.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
I'm excited for the new controller! Haptic feedback is so underused on the X1 controller but it is so damn cool.

Also, like others, I'll be happy if it's $499 or above but I'll understand if it ends up being $399 again.

Toni

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Orlando, Florida
what's the title that Bluepoint is working on?...Demon's Souls remaster?
giphy.gif

Booker.DeWitt

Oct 25, 2017
So with those specs , there is no way PS5 will cost less than $499, right? I mean, ssd, Ray tracing hardware, new technology in the dualshock 5

EdReedFan20

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still hoping for a PSX 2019. Imagine the reaction of fans if they announced full PlayStation backwards compatibility (or other fan-pleasing announcements). Also, remember that it's the 25th Anniversary of the first launch (Japan) of the PS1, so that's something for them to celebrate. More importantly, however, maybe they could have it be set exactly a year before launch. This would allow PSX 2019 to officially kickoff the year-long countdown to PS5's release, perhaps with the unveiling of some sort of countdown clock (and the activation of said clock). But what about when the clock ticks to zero? That would be PSX 2020, where PS5's launch party happens. I know this probably won't happen, but man, the energy at those things would be electric if it did!

Last edited:

Evan8192

Banned
Aug 27, 2018
Umm, yes? Tho you may not be serious.

But that was never going to happen

Maybe not the same as a "Pro" edition, but I would easily pay a couple hundred dollars more for a PS5 that I could pop in a disc from every single previous playstation and it would work. If that means basically stuffing a cell processor, ps1 and ps2 hardware in it, then that is what I would gladly pay the price for. (Sony if you are already planning on making standard PS5 bc with everything then please disregard...)

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
They know they will be able to make it back easily with software, PS+, PS Now etc.

Yep - see their PSN revenue from 2018 if there are any doubts as to how much Sony is willing to invest in the system to maintain their position as market leader.

And digital sales have exceeded physical sales so they get even more of the pie.

Oct 27, 2017
I love how Sony is just casually dropping hardware specs, release window information and the official name of the console in online articles. No big events, no countdown timers. Nothing.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
If anyone wants a great example of how SSDs can make development easier, look at all the effort Insomniac had to go through when it came to streaming and storing assets for Spiderman:

(jump to 14:50 for the start)

Imagine how many man-hours all this took to figure out that could (maybe) be totally eliminated next-gen.

edit: In this talk he specifically mentions that all the data duplication increased the game's size by ~10GB.

Last edited:

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
I think the tech in the controller will mean buying additional ones will be ludicrous price much more than they already are.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
This is great news, but November-December 2020 (I'm assuming that from the "holiday 2020" bit) is a lonnng way away. The base PS4 already feels a bit on its last legs from a performance perspective.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Chatting with some birds, I had to troll them for being forced to refactor their entire rendering engine around this "paged" system SSD just to get more content within a scene. Again, we are trying to adjust to the hardware that's only going to be relevant for 6yrs at most. If I were one of the head players, I'd make 2 code bases on our graphics engine. 1) for the current PS5 and all of it's unorthodox hardware to get around price limitations and 2) a full on engine that uses brute force high memory, enhanced subsystems and tomorrow's GPU architecture for when they will inevitably have to switch back over once the price of hardware drops to managable levels. No way I'm refactoring my engine with every release. That's nuts!!

Would have made more sense to post this in the next thread speculation thread and expand on it .
Still with tech slowing down and gens lasting longer i expect the hardware to be relevant for longer than 6yrs .
Plus they would have had to refactor there engine for SSD tech any way even if the PS5 system different from normal .

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
These two parts caught my eyes.

"Rather than treating games like a big block of data," Cerny says, "we're allowing finer-grained access to the data." That could mean the ability to install just a game's multiplayer campaign, leaving the single-player campaign for another time, or just installing the whole thing and then deleting the single-player campaign once you've finished it.

Odd, that he mentions it that way, considering their emphasis on single player games. I hope it goes the other way around as well, and I can decide to leave the multiplayer portions away. I also hope it's mandatory for all developers, Bungie included. I'd love to be able to leave Crucible and Gambit parts away from Destiny, as I'm never going to touch them. Not to mention, that hopefully there would have to be notifications next gen, if quests include content from the side you haven't installed, so you wouldn't have to waste time starting them.

Regardless of what parts of a game you choose to install and play, you'll be able to stay abreast of it via a completely revamped user interface. The PS4's bare-bones home screen at times feels frozen in amber; you can see what your friends have recently done, or even what game title they might be playing at the moment, but without launching an individual title, there's no way to tell what single-player missions you could do or what multiplayer matches you can join. The PS5 will change that. "Even though it will be fairly fast to boot games, we don't want the player to have to boot the game, see what's up, boot the game, see what's up," Cerny says. "Multiplayer game servers will provide the console with the set of joinable activities in real time. Single-player games will provide information like what missions you could do and what rewards you might receive for completing them—and all of those choices will be visible in the UI. As a player you just jump right into whatever you like."

The bolded seems like a fertile ground for spoilers, unless they handle it like they do with story-related trophies. Nevertheless, it's something I'd want to opt out of.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Odd, that he mentions it that way, considering their emphasis on single player games. I hope it goes the other way around as well, and I can decide to leave the multiplayer portions away. I also hope it's mandatory for all developers, Bungie included. I'd love to be able to leave Crucible and Gambit parts away from Destiny, as I'm never going to touch them. Not to mention, that hopefully there would have to be notifications next gen, if quests include content from the side you haven't installed, so you wouldn't have to waste time starting them.

A bulk of games on the PS5 will be third party games , and PS5 feature set exist to support that ecosystem more so than first party development needs.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
I'm still hoping for a PSX 2019. Imagine the reaction of fans if they announced full PlayStation backwards compatibility (or other fan-pleasing announcements). Also, remember that it's the 25th Anniversary of the first launch (Japan) of the PS1, so that's something for them to celebrate. More importantly, however, maybe they could have it be set exactly a year before launch. This would allow PSX 2019 to officially kickoff the year-long countdown to PS5's release, perhaps with the unveiling of some sort of countdown clock (and the activation of said clock). But what about when the clock ticks to zero? That would be PSX 2020, where PS5's launch party happens. I know this probably won't happen, but man, the energy at those things would be electric if it did!

It's too late for that. It's october

Terrysaur

Jun 14, 2019
I can absolutely see the PlayStation 5 being sold for US$399 at launch solely because SIE is such a financial behemoth that they can afford to do so – le ol' sell-hardware-at-loss-and-profit-from-software business model. SIE have a bunch of talented studios under their belt that they know can produce guaranteed commercially successful titles, and putting PlayStation 4 games on the PlayStation 5 will allow SIE and their subsidiaries to still reap profits from their PlayStation 4 titles for years to come.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
The power of one game is crazy. I usually play on Xbox first these days and with Gamepass I have all I need and more but remastered Demon's Soul's alone would make me go with PS5 first if I only had money for one system. Good thing I can afford both so it isn't an issue. I need the next Halo too. Bring on next gen!

WhovianGamer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Everything sounds great so far.

I'd really love PS1, PS2 and PS4 backwards compatibility in there. I don't mind if the PS1 and PS2 is for digital titles only. I've got so many downloaded games it would be lovely to have a console that plays Horizon 2, Uncharted 4, Tomba etc all in one box.

Or they could all all of that to PS Now and if you have the game already in your library, just stream it.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
The announcement tweet is currently (probably) the most liked PlayStation related tweet ever.

180k. Also, maybe it is cheating but PlayStation Japan account also has the same tweet in japanese and it got 80k. Which means 260k...

Freaking crazy exposure.

All without a single cent spent on marketing....just let the viral marketing, press & influencers do it.