• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Buddy, they had a state of play just a few weeks ago. I'm not concerned for Sony. I just don't like their cockiness recently. It's gonna backfire for them.

It's gonna backfire, really? How and why?

Or is it more likely wishful thinking on your part?

What do you want to happen to Sony exactly, and why?

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I am going to remain skeptical of next gen consoles ray tracing capabilities. Nvidia Ray tracing hardware is bespoke and it took a massive part of the GPU die to implement. Hence why GPU size increased significantly for Turing verses Pascal. The performance of ray tracing on RTX cards is not that great either. I just don't see how AMD could come up with a better solution considering how much they are behind Nvidia on this front. On top of all of that, the increase in GPU die will increase cost significantly and more importantly, it will also increase power consumption of the system. I actually could see this gen actually hitting at $499. Will see what happens.

We already know they using a hybrid ray tracing chip designed with each constructor helping out.

They are not doing what Nvidia is doing.

thirtypercent

Oct 18, 2018
This and ps4 BC are killer features for the common consumer. Nice.

BC maybe, though it's kinda expected and not having it would be the real killer. But considering the X1S has had a UHD drive since '16 and players have become very cheap you can't really sell a new console without. And in general it seems only enthusiasts care, everyone else is happy with the much cheaper BDs or has moved to streaming, doubt nextgen will change that, it's a very different scenario compared to when PS3 got BD.

We already know they using a hybrid ray tracing chip designed with each constructor helping out.

They are not doing what Nvidia is doing.

Still, something's gotta give, different technical approach or not. I'd be more optimistic if we already had a graphics card with RT from AMD but this will be their first shot and they haven't really delivered anything impressive in the GPU-space for a very long time.

Deleted member 38573

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 17, 2018
I'm guessing backwards compatibility still doesn't increase the likelihood of a Bloodborne framepacing fix happening

or did ps4pro sort that out?

JamboGT

Vehicle Handling Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone that is surprised that he said he was relieved to be able to say it was called the PlayStation 5.... am I the only one that read that as him joking?

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That seems really soon. What's the game situation going to be at launch? Upgraded versions of TLOU2 or SoT? Anything new?

We'll get the best versions of the new Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed at least.

Everyone that is surprised that he said he was relieved to be able to say it was called the PlayStation 5.... am I the only one that read that as him joking?

I don't think so. They probably know what it was going to be called for a while but had to dance around saying it, so they're probably glad to just get the name out there.

JamboGT

Vehicle Handling Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno, he is from the North East in the UK, it comes across as jokey sarcasm to me which is pretty common here.

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
After the controller infos, I am very excited for the PS Move successor.

Haptic feedback should be amazing in VR and maybe Sony is also working on something like VR Gloves.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My biggest hope is they lift the vapor chamber from the X. Maybe it's a nitpick but the PS4 noise profile has been a sore point.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
My biggest hope is they lift the vapor chamber from the X. Maybe it's a nitpick but the PS4 noise profile has been a sore point.

I'm pretty sure they give the cooling solution a lot of attention after all the complaints regarding the Pro noise.

I'm guessing backwards compatibility still doesn't increase the likelihood of a Bloodborne framepacing fix happening

or did ps4pro sort that out?

Check YouTube, lot of comparisons.

Deleted member 2441

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ITT: people who live their whole lives on internet forums with no idea of how actual PR works outside of that bubble.

The Wired articles are great PR. You'll get your big reveal event targeted at "gamers" when they have a bunch of games and a box to show.

Working with mainstream media and a sympathetic journalist for exclusives that allow you to control the narrative and the release of information is Comms 101 and it's been executed super well so far.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Any news on allowing multiple accounts to be used just like ps3 and ps4? I hope to god they dont ever do the Vita 1 per system stuff. Huge turn off.

Chris Metal

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
What does USB type C mean?
61ZY5jcW3BL._SX569_.jpg

Basically faster charging times if the A design port is type C speed. My phone charges in around an hour over type C 40watt from 0%. Don't expect this from DS5 but it'll be a lot quicker than micro USB.
Data transfer rates... Taking screenshots/videos when plugged into the console might be quicker response.
Durability is the main one as you can place a type C in either way up horizontal and will still work... Micro USB was prone to breakage a lot when people forced them in or were putting them in wrong.
Andthat is where I read everywhere tonot use them cus they fry the battery.
ps4_dock.jpg

Sony have official charging units. I have one. They're safe. The DS4 controller has a lithium battery but it doesn't need much to charge so go with the licensed or official products.
Disgraceful? Jesus Christ.
Maybe they should publicly apologise...

In a tweet... I'm an expert

Funky_Monkey

Oct 31, 2017

I definitely read it that way. At least he was being somewhat tongue and cheek with the answer. I'm sure its probably a lot better to say PlayStation 5 rather than next-gen console and being pestered with questions about it.

JFoul

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope that USB 4 makes it into the box. It'll help so much with external SSD transfer rates.

Savinowned

Oct 25, 2017
Nashville, TN
I bought an Xbox One X last Fall and I actually haven't used the 4k Blu Ray player yet. I've gone all digital on that console so I kind of wished they would too so they could keep the costs down lower. I don't think it's possible that the PS5 or NextBox will be under $499, and they may even hit $549

clintar

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
We'll get the best versions of the new Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed at least.

I don't think so. They probably know what it was going to be called for a while but had to dance around saying it, so they're probably glad to just get the name out there.
I wonder if it they hadn't decided until recently. Power struggles and all that.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even at it's launch, PS4 has a shitty CPU already, this is a significant upgrade. I wonder what's the ' mediocre part' gonna be this time around, probably GPU?
Pretty sure it is

Oct 25, 2017
Even at it's launch, PS4 has a shitty CPU already, this is a significant upgrade. I wonder what's the ' mediocre part' gonna be this time around, probably GPU?
I don't think so. Even Navi seems to be quite solid. I don't think there will be a glaring weakness in the consoles this time around. They'll be fairly balanced overall.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz

Probably the GPU. I don't trust AMD. I'd also say it depends on what Nvidia and Intel come up with. The RTX 30 series should drop next year. Also depends on what range the PS5 falls in for Navi in comparison the higher end cards and how the Navi flops compare to Nvidia flops.

Oct 30, 2017
I definitely read it that way. At least he was being somewhat tongue and cheek with the answer. I'm sure its probably a lot better to say PlayStation 5 rather than next-gen console and being pestered with questions about it.

That's what I thought too. I pictured it as a joke and him laughing about it.

What's funny, is that its going to be the most obvious name but you can't even talk about it, at all, ever... You'll never hear a third party or anyone at Sony refer to it as PS5 until its spoken into existence. Which he finally got to do. So, maybe there is some relief. But it was a joke for sure.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
I still can't figure out what they're getting at with that name. PlayStation "5"

Do you think that means that every CD-ROM will have 5 games on it? Or maybe the controller features five 5 distinct buttons? Or is it a stylish S that stands for "Six", ie, the sixth PlayStation console?