• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Q&ERA

Official Questions and Answers
Verified
Nov 20, 2017
bannersmall4zlly.png

Q&ERA offers an opportunity for our community to learn more about the gaming industry from those that are part of it. This involves batches of questions, submitted by users and then selected by staff, which will then be given to industry members to answer. Our intent is to bridge the divide between the gaming community and the gaming industry. We want to encourage engagement between those who talk about games and those who make them. (Note: Questions will be curated as interviewees won't have time to answer every single one. Also, there may be certain topics that interviewees are not able or allowed to comment on.)

Introducing our guests: Chucklefish, the publisher of Stardew Valley, Wargroove, Starbound, Pocket Rumble and more!

Chucklefish is an independent games studio founded by Finn Brice and based in London, UK. They develop and publish their own games and occasionally provide support to other developers. Chucklefish is best known for developing 2016's Starbound, as well as publishing 2013's Risk of Rain and 2016's Stardew Valley. They can be found on Twitter interacting with the gaming community at @ChucklefishLTD.

How to submit questions:

To submit your questions to Chucklefish, please send me a private message titled, "Q&A - Chucklefish".

In your private message, you may ask up to two questions. To send a pm - click on a user's profile page and then "start a conversation."

This is not a live format! You must submit your questions properly for them to be considered!

Deadline to submit questions:

January 28th, 2018 at 5:00 AM GMT (Greenwich Mean Time)

t1517115600z0.png

header.png

Wargroove is a turn-based strategy game for up to 4 players, in which each player takes control of an army and its commander unit to wage war on their enemies! Wargroove is designed to be easy to pick up, with accessibility at the forefront of its design, and very difficult to master, with deep gameplay mechanics that complement strategic play. The game is being developed by Chucklefish. According to Wargroove's website, the game is planning for release on Nintendo Switch, Xbox One and PC.

Stardew Valley is a country-life RPG for PC/Mac/Linux, Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and Nintendo Switch. Stardew Valley was developed solo by ConcernedApe (Eric Barone) and published by Chucklefish. You've inherited your grandfather's old farm plot in Stardew Valley. Armed with hand-me-down tools and a few coins, you set out to begin your new life. Can you learn to live off the land and turn these overgrown fields into a thriving home?

Starbound is an action adventure game developed and published by Chucklefish. Starbound takes place in a two-dimensional, procedurally generated universe which the player is able to explore in order to obtain new weapons, armor, and items, and to visit towns and villages inhabited by various intelligent lifeforms. Starbound was released in July 2016 for Microsoft Windows, OS X, and Linux. and is in development for Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and PlayStation Vita.

Pocket Rumble is a streamlined, beginner-friendly 2D fighting game inspired by SNK's classic fighters for the Neo Geo Pocket Color. It retains all the gameplay elements that make traditional Street Fighter-style fighters great, but reduces the level of execution and memorization necessary to the bare minimum. Experienced players can learn the game fast and be able to focus on deeper elements of strategy and mindgames, new players can learn the ins and outs of fighting games without being overwhelmed!

The following Chucklefish staff will be answering your questions:

CEO / Designer - Finn Brice
Games Producer / Artist - Rosie Ball
Artist - Lu Nascimento
Artist - Adam Riches
Technical Designer - Stephen Alexander
Programmer - Tom Coxon
Artist - Jay Baylis

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Awesome ! Love their work =D

Must make very important questions that everyone reading NEEDS to know like "which is Pixel's and Voxel's favorite games that they are making?"

they are the artist's dog and they are super cute

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
of course I had to ask about Pocket Rumble

fuck, I should have asked about Siege and the Sandfox

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Hello Chucklefish - thanks for taking the time to do this.

I adore Stardew Valley. Bought it twice (PC and Switch). Are there plans on some kind of multiplayer expansion?

Edit: doh, I should really read the complete OP next time. Thought it was like a Reddit AMA.

Last edited:

Compsiox

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow Stardew Valley and Starbound. That's crazy.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
This is a great participant for a Q&A. I sent my two questions already, hopefully one of them will be considered. Thanks for doing this.

Leafhopper

Oct 25, 2017
How far out are we from 1.0 of Pocket Rumble on PC?

EDIT: Ah wait I just caught the rules. Ill word this better.

Deleted member 3082

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For those who don't know about "Spellbound" (unofficial title), from the sound of things it's basically going to be very Stardew Valley-esque, but instead of farming you're a student at a magic school. The article below mentions "many different kinds of magic/crafting/potion making/farming systems," and that it's important the game "captures the nostalgia of school life as much as possible."

Thought I'd mention it since quite a few people were surprised by it when I posted about it in a recent thread. Here's a bunch of images (with links to tweets where applicable, and keep in mind the game is a work in progress), a short test video and some interviews;

Short demo video; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWXwbonGH3Q
https://twitter.com/Tiyuri/status/786575039072116736

And here's two articles on it;
http://www.pcgamer.com/new-details-and-screens-from-stardew-valley-publishers-magic-school-rpg/

http://www.pcgamer.com/chucklefishs-magic-school-rpg-more-details-on-dating-combat-and-influences/

Pretty sure that's everything they've released about it to date.

Now I have to decide whether I want to ask about this and risk getting "We're not ready to talk about that"-type answers or ask about Starbound (which, years later I still play every couple of days). Only two questions too!

Last edited:

Deleted member 11157

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This game is just the best.

Also, I loved the Pcgamer article about the couples that play this game. This is more than a game for many folks and it's easy to see why when ya play it.

Eta- I don't have a question.

LoyalPhoenix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
cant wait for Wargroove, should be an interesting QA.

By the way have they announced a timeframe for that?

Kandinsky

Oct 25, 2017
For those who don't know about "Spellbound" (unofficial title), from the sound of things it's basically going to be very Stardew Valley-esque, but instead of farming you're a student at a magic school. The article below mentions "many different kinds of magic/crafting/potion making/farming systems," and that it's important the game "captures the nostalgia of school life as much as possible."
Dude this game sounds amazing, just by the description alone became my most wanted game atm, It needs to have an official name asap.

I'm in awe, thanks.

Surface

Nov 6, 2017
Is starbound still coming to ps vita? I waited years for this but finally bought it on pc instead

Oct 27, 2017
I wanted to say thank you for publishing Stardew because it is so inclusive. Unlike, say, when Tamodachi only allowed straight relationships to "avoid controversy." It really is a game for everyone.

Can I ask if you if ConcernedApe has said anything about more Stardew in the future? I know many fans who would love a sequel or expansion, myself included.

Cerium

The Former
Oct 23, 2017
Guys, if you want your questions to be considered please follow the instructions in the OP!

LycanXIII

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I wanted to say thank you for publishing Stardew because it is so inclusive. Unlike, say, when Tamodachi only allowed straight relationships to "avoid controversy." It really is a game for everyone.

Can I ask if you if ConcernedApe has said anything about more Stardew in the future? I know many fans who would love a sequel or expansion, myself included.
There's a decent content update coming with the multiplayer update.

SwitchedOff

Oct 28, 2017
Stardew Valley question - will you release a physical version? Card cost will of course increase the price but if it's a special "Collector's Edition" with some bundled items then I'm sure many Stardew Valley fans would buy it without hesitation.

Edit: Now PM'd (as I should have done in the first place - apologies!)

Last edited:

SwitchedOff

Oct 28, 2017
Another SDV question - are there any plans to add touchscreen controls to the Switch version for those who prefer to play that way?

Edit: Now PM'd (as I should have done in the first place - apologies!)

Last edited:

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
Nice choice of studio and a lovely feature at ResetEra! Will send in my questions later.

Deleted member 6733

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't think of any questions yet but I just wanted to say I love Chucklefish! Starbound is incredible :) Looking forward to the Q&A!

dreams

Oct 25, 2017

Thought I'd mention it since quite a few people were surprised by it when I posted about it in a recent thread. Here's a bunch of images (with links to tweets where applicable, and keep in mind the game is a work in progress), a short test video and some interviews;

Short demo video; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWXwbonGH3Q
https://twitter.com/Tiyuri/status/786575039072116736

And here's two articles on it;
http://www.pcgamer.com/new-details-and-screens-from-stardew-valley-publishers-magic-school-rpg/

http://www.pcgamer.com/chucklefishs-magic-school-rpg-more-details-on-dating-combat-and-influences/

Pretty sure that's everything they've released about it to date.

Now I have to decide whether I want to ask about this and risk getting "We're not ready to talk about that"-type answers or ask about Starbound (which, years later I still play every couple of days). Only two questions too!
Wow, how had I not heard of this before? It looks so great! Thanks for posting more info about it!

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, this is pretty huge! As a huge fan of Stardew Valley, I can't wait to see the questions. I have a couple I want to ask myself and definitely will be thinking about them over the week

Deleted member 3082

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Spellbound is heading for the Switch right?

Waaaaaay too early to tell since the game hasn't even really been announced yet, but when asked if it would come to Switch the CEO of Chucklefish has said they would like to support the system from here on out;

So basically, a very good chance of that happening, yes.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Thank you so much for Stardew Valley! I bought Starbound, but I think I still prefer Stardew Valley. I'd LOVE to see it in multiplayer format, or even an expansion with more content. Maybe moer of a "storymode" :o?

Either way, am looking forward to watching this Q&A.

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
Spellbound has so much potential. I wish Eric was involved with it but it seems like the devs at Chucklefish "get" what everyone loved about Stardew, so I'm hoping the same spirit can be captured in this totally new setting. The setting itself has so many possibilities. I feel like the "social" aspect of the game can be stronger in a school setting vs a farm setting. Whether it's having classes/study groups/exams/trips/festivals/cut scenes throughout the school year sharing various moments with various members of the cast. I feel like you can also have more serious moments in school setting. One thing I always thought was underrated in early Harvest Moon games and Stardew is that amidst all the fun there are some serious moments/characters/scenes/etc... going on that tug on the heart string a bit and give the game an added depth. Basically I think the Persona series especially 4 and 5 would be good influences.

I'm slightly skeptical about the gameplay though and how it will all mesh together. Of course we know next to nothing other than a line here and there about what it might contain but I hope it has one main gameplay/progression mechanic that is somewhat flexible, and everything else (like farming?) is just supplemental.

Guess we'll see. Basically I'm hoping some questions about this game are answered in the Q&A lol.

Last edited:

Yoshi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Since my wife is bugging me about this daily, I need to ask: Do you have any new information on when to expect Stardew Valley on PlayStation Vita? She already has the Xbox One version, but she really needs the PlayStation Vita version to be able to have it with her all the time :).

LycanXIII

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Yoshi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Status
Not open for further replies.