• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Q&ERA

Official Questions and Answers
Verified
Nov 20, 2017
bannersmall4zlly.png

Q&ERA offers an opportunity for our community to learn more about the gaming industry from those that are part of it. This involves batches of questions, submitted by users and then selected by staff, which will then be given to industry members to answer. Our intent is to bridge the divide between the gaming community and the gaming industry. We want to encourage engagement between those who talk about games and those who make them. (Note: Questions will be curated as interviewees won't have time to answer every single one. Also, there may be certain topics that interviewees are not able or allowed to comment on.)

Introducing our guests: Image & Form Games, the makers of SteamWorld Dig 2 and SteamWorld Heist!

Image & Form Games is a Swedish video game developer and publisher, founded in 1997 by Brjánn Sigurgeirsson. They are located in Gothenburg, Sweden and consist of over twenty employees. Each of the company's past three games -- SteamWorld Dig, SteamWorld Heist, and SteamWorld Dig 2 -- have received worldwide critical acclaim and commercial success. Before working on the SteamWorld series, the company developed more than 25 award-winning PC/Mac edutainment titles for Scandinavian publishers. They can be found on Twitter interacting with the gaming community at @ImageForm.

How to submit questions:

To submit your questions to Image & Form Games, please send me a private message titled, "Q&A - Image & Form".

In your private message, you may ask up to two questions. To send a pm - click on a user's profile page and then "start a conversation."

Deadline to submit questions:

January 6th, 2018 at 5:00 AM GMT (Greenwich Mean Time)

t1515214800z0.png

steamworld-dig-2-charxrsp1.png

SteamWorld Dig 2 is a platforming-mining adventure where you step into the boots of Dorothy, a steambot once robbed of her dear friend – now driven by the hunger for answers. Buckle up, grab your gear, and get ready to dig into the highly anticipated sequel to the original SteamWorld Dig. The game released to positive reviews, currently sitting at an 88 metascore on Metacritic. It is available on Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, PS Vita, and PC (Steam).

SteamWorld Heist is a turn-based strategy shooter where you command space pirates in a series of epic tactical shootouts. Strategy fans will feel right at home and get hooked on the game's unique action twist. By aiming your weapons yourself you'll shoot bullet-bouncing trick shots with unrivaled precision. SteamWorld Heist has received positive reviews, with a current score of 86/100 on Metacritic. It is available on PlayStation 4, PS Vita, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, Nintendo 3DS, Wii U, iPhone/iPad, and PC (Steam).

Image & Form Games Team:

Brjánn Sigurgeirsson (CEO / PR & Sales)
Olle Håkansson (Game Design / Programming)
Ulf Hartelius (Game Design / Programming)
Esteban Soto (Level Designer)
Markus Månsson (Level Designer)
Robert Olsén (Graphics / Design / QA)
Jarl Larsson (Programming)
Ola Frid (Programming)
Magnus Martinsson (Programming)
Peter Johansson (Programming)
Pelle Cahndlerby (Sound Design / Music / Writing)
Tobias Nilsson (Art Direction / Graphics)
Björn Håkansson (Graphics)
Agnes Mikucka (Graphics)
Jakob Wahlberg (Graphics)
Oliver Amanda Elm (Graphics)
Peter Broqvist (Graphics / Writing)
Samuel Larsson (Graphics)

Marco Podda (Publishing and Project Managing)
Julius Guldbog (Community Managing / Marketing)
Paulina Lorné Schale (Influencer Relations)

Image-Form-Crew-2017-1920x1080.jpg

Last edited:

Deleted member 33

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Last time on Q&ERA, Lizardcube and DotEmu answered your questions about Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap and what it's like to remake a beloved classic with hand drawn graphics and animation.

If you missed it, those questions and answers can be found in the archives here.

Our admin staff would like to wish our entire community a Happy New Year with many more guests to come!

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
Dig 2 made it into my top 5 and is my favorite indie game of the year. Absolutely amazing and a huge step up from 1. Loved the introduced RPG system as well (I'm a huge sucker for those).

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
Dig 2 was very great wherever you played it and a near perfect title for Switch. Congrats for the team!

I'll think of something to ask.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
I love these interviews. I haven't played Steamworld dog 2 yet though. I'll try and think of an interesting industry question anyway.

Nicko

Oct 25, 2017
Wonderful!! I'm so thrilled I&F will be the next Q&A! They are my absolute favorite Indi developer! Steamworld Dig 2 was my #3 GotY behind Zelda and Mario. I will be sure to submit a question or two!

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
Ok so I bought Steamworld Dig 1 based on people's responses here and looking up reviews, it sounds great. The last interview had me pick up Dragons Trap too for that matter so this is certainly drawing my attention to games ha ha.

StrmSrg

Oct 26, 2017
Louisiana
I really enjoyed the first game, and Steamworld Dig 2 managed to surpass it in terms of:
  1. Scale and number of caves
  2. Movement options
  3. Meaningful upgrades to your armor, water, etc.
  4. Complexity and number of dungeons
  5. Character dialogue
  6. Trinket blurbs
  7. Music (especially the hub)
  8. Memorable set pieces
  9. Funny voices
You guys should be proud of yourselves because this game is my indie of the year by a long shot

Oct 26, 2017
Loved Steamworld Dig 2, were there any movement upgrades you tried and tossed out before the grappling hook and jetpack?

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Loved Dig 1 and 2. How's Heist? Might pick that one up on Switch.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Haven't played Heist but both Dig games are awesome and so unique, I'm super-impressed by everything from the gameplay to visuals to controls, can't wait to see their next game!

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Loved Dig 1 and 2. How's Heist? Might pick that one up on Switch.
Recently bought and finished Dig 2 on Switch and thought it was incredible. Had never loved a Metroidvania before this one. Figured I'd trust them with any genre going forward, so I bought Heist last night. An hour in I think it's great so far. :)

Putty

Double Eleven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Middlesbrough
I did a few pieces of music for SWD back in 2010 with on the DS with Olle H. Lovely guy, so pleased to see them doing so well now. Back then things we're quite a bit different!

Deleted member 8688

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The grammatical errors in the English text in SWD2 were pretty disappointing in a game which was otherwise quite polished. Just one example: "upgrade the pickaxe to increase it's digging efficiency".

Can it be fixed?

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
This is awesome! I really like their work.

Most of the commenters here seem to have played Dig and/or Dig 2. To them, I want to say:

Don't sleep over Heist. It's different from the Dig games, but it's an amazing game that combines turn-based strategy with skill-based gun aiming. The gameplay is slick, the story and characters are awesome, the score is a pleasure to listen to, and the graphics are as great as you expect (if you like Dig 2's art style, you'll love this too). Not to forget the shipload of hats (with funny descriptions!).

Elhav

Dec 19, 2017
Asking for a friend: Why are there no torches or ladders available in the shop like in the first game?

Cerium

The Former
Oct 23, 2017
If you want your questions to be answered, please follow the directions in the OP!

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
Great choice of studio! I'll absolutely send you my questions later.

The Q&A for Wonder Boy: Dragon's Trap turned out to be really amazing!

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Oh my God, yes. I've gone on record to say that Image & Form are my favorite indie devs, and that was before Dig 2. I'll definitely have something to ask this time!

Jader7777

Oct 26, 2017
Australia
I don't want to submit a question, but I just wanted to say that the Steamworld games are fantastic, very well made and are just a blast to play. You really hit the nail on the head producing a fun and quirky adventure. I'd love to see a Heist 2 game, the tactical ricochet shooter genre is something I need more of in my life. Thanks for the great games, keep up the great work!

Etc.

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Someone will ask about it better than me but I hope they'll try another lore in some next games soon.

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
Just finished Heist last night and here I see a Q/a coming up soon with the developers!? What a small world.

Anyway, Heist was awesome. Spent close to 30 hours on the main game alone. All my characters are maxed out and I'm missing just one star. Now on to the DLC!

Pandy

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Loved these guys since Dig 1. That, Dig 2 and Heist are among my favourite games of the last few years. Will try to think up a decent question or two for them.

(I tried and failed to love the tower defense game, sorry guys! In fairness I came to it after Heist, so my expectations were probably too high. You've really improved!)

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
Just started playing yesterday this after hearing so many rave reviews. Never played the first one. Given my inexperience with the game, I asked a pretty straightforward Q, so if it doesn't get included I won't feel bad but am thankful for the opportunity to be involved, regardless. Thanks for the game!!

House_Of_Lightning

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Gerstmann put Dig 2 on his GOTY list. I really liked this Xbox 360 indie game called Miner Dig Deep. I wonder if Dig 2 will scratch the same itch.

Deleted member 18807

Hope someone asks about how hard it was to port to Switch!

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
This is awesome! I really like their work.

Most of the commenters here seem to have played Dig and/or Dig 2. To them, I want to say:

Don't sleep over Heist. It's different from the Dig games, but it's an amazing game that combines turn-based strategy with skill-based gun aiming. The gameplay is slick, the story and characters are awesome, the score is a pleasure to listen to, and the graphics are as great as you expect (if you like Dig 2's art style, you'll love this too). Not to forget the shipload of hats (with funny descriptions!).
Its on sale at the moment. I only just bought the first game and have yet to play them. I am tempted though....

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
Excited for this, just started playing dig 1 last week so this Q&A was perfect timing!

For Dig2 would you say you would need to finish the first one to fully appreciate it? I have seen nothing of the game at all (I'm like the Into The Wild guy)

Mabec

Oct 27, 2017
Dev threads like this is why I will be a returning visitor to RE. Kinda reminds me a bit of Gametrailers "Bonus Round"

Last edited:

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
Steaworld Dig 2 was probably my favorite game this year, so this got me excited. It's just such a perfect little game.

Easy_D

Oct 28, 2017
Not really a question. But making the first Steamworld Dig free via Origin (I think) was a good thing really enjoyed the hours I spent with it. That said, god damn is 2 a massive refinement, from art/music to controls.

It's perfect on Switch and I gotta hand my thanks to whoever implemented touch controls for the UI, makes navigating the map effortless in handheld mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.