• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017

As always, devs keep leaking this stuff even when they get told to not do it. For people that cannot see the tweet, here are the dates on text:

Halloween Sale: October 28 - November 1
Autumn Sale: November 26 - December 3
Winter Sale: December 19 - January 2

SuperHans

Oct 27, 2017
Hope they start doing ARGs and stuff again. Found the sale events have become very boring.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I barely buy anything during these sales. Interesting games (that I don't already own) very rarely hit >=50% off so I just keep waiting.

Mirabai

Nov 4, 2017
Steam sales are useless. Why would i wait when i can buy the games now and mostly way cheaper.

Last sale i checked like 5 games and cdkeys was always cheaper....

Last edited:

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
The metagames have become increasingly byzantine bot wars and there's not even an incentive to engage with the discovery queue anymore. Just fill your wallet with a budget, sort your wishlist and buy that day one and walk away.

The excitement's all gone.

Dimajjio

Oct 13, 2019
I've still got the massive backlog from Epic Games giveaway to get through so I think I'll pass. And the money will come in useful to buy those expensive PS5 launch games next year. Every penny counts.

RoboitoAM

Oct 25, 2017
I'm already buying Red Dead 2 and Modern Warfare so I'll probably pass but maybe if Ion Fury goes on sale I'll get it

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think I bought a single thing the last holiday season.
Other than keys that redeem on steam that I've gotten on Humble to give away in discord I can't remember when the last time I bought a game on steam was.

I might be interested in EDF 5 if I knew it worked. 4.1 on my PC before and after a CPU motherboard and fresh install would freeze for like... a full second every 3 seconds. Refunded the game twice (before and after my CPU/mobo upgrade).

edit: Oh, I bought some Genesis roms back in May from the Genesis collection (edit: oh, actually just Sonic CD in May, the other roms were in March). The second time I bought EDF 4.1 was after that but refunded. Also, a couple gifts sent directly through steam (Inside and the 3DMark RTX update).

Shoozle

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
UK
Steam Sales mostly got worse when publishers decided to raise the usual ÂŁ30 launch price to ÂŁ50 in some cases these days. So that 25% off or whatever doesn't seem as big of a deal these days. No matter the deal, Sekiro still being ÂŁ49.90 won't look like a big bargain.

Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to buying Rage 2, Far Cry 5 and Far Cry New Dawn from these sales because Steam Store is the only way to get them on Steam. Otherwise other key stores have become better - usually Humble Store matches every sale with an extra 20% off for having Monthly.

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
It's been years since I've bought something from a Steam sale. Key resellers are cheaper than games on sale.

Hong

Oct 30, 2017
Steam sales are useless. Why would i wait when i can buy the games now and mostly way cheaper.

Last sale i checked like 5 games and cdkeys was alwasy cheaper....
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't they grey market? I think they sell keys from retail boxes from cheaper regions i.e. not intended for you probably. Not a scam like G2A, but still not the nicest gesture towards the dev/publisher. So buying authorised like through Steam would support the dev the most.

Ionic

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The key to the modern Steam sale is to grab a bunch of games that are 3 dollars and under that have only 37 reviews, but look interesting.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Taking flash sales away ruined all the fun of steam sales.

I see this mentioned all of the time.

Let's be real though; if Steam brought back flash sales we'd have nothing but pissing and moaning because people paid more for a game that went cheaper during a flash sale.

It would be fuck Steam, fuck the developer, fuck the publisher, I'm refunding, blah, blah, blah.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't even remember the last time I bought a game on Steam, let alone during a sale.

Prices are way to high these days.

Oct 25, 2017
Are the discounts likely to be the same across all 3 sales?
Halloween is focused on horror games only. Autumn and Holiday are the same but Autumn usually has less games on sale. If there's something on sale on Autumn, it's usually safe to buy unless there's a Holiday mini-game that the money would count towards in some way.

OP
OP
--R

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
No, it made it better. Worst case you had to wait until the end of a sale to see if a game you wanted to buy is discounted 75% instead of 50%. Now you can buy it and start playing the first day.

But you'll never get games at a higher discount that way because flash sales allowed companies to make a bigger cut temporarily.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
But you'll never get games at a higher discount that way because flash sales allowed companies to make a bigger cut temporarily.
I'm buying plenty of games at 75% off or more, so that's not really true. It's certainly less annoying now since you won't run into a situation where you'd have paid less if you've just waited for a completely random time (like when being asleep).

Mozar

Oct 4, 2019
I don't know why when I buy anything at the steam sale this game becomes free or has a larger discount in a month or two

InspectorJones

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I love how flash sales have been gone for years, yet all of us remember them fondly.

Still, I'll probably pick up a game or two on sale in addition to Red Dead 2.

PC90

Enlightened
Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I can't say I miss flash sales. I want to buy games day 1, not wait and see if they show up in a flash Sale.

Mirabai

Nov 4, 2017
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't they grey market? I think they sell keys from retail boxes from cheaper regions i.e. not intended for you probably. Not a scam like G2A, but still not the nicest gesture towards the dev/publisher. So buying authorised like through Steam would support the dev the most.

To be honest - i really dont know where they got their keys from.
It might not be the nicest gesture towards the dev, but its the nicest towards my wallet.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
Steam sales are great for hidden gems and indie games but yea you can usually get AAA titles cheaper elsewhere.
Yeah that's the highlight of them for me, finding out about stuff in the hidden gems threads because those are the only times people tend to talk about them regularly. Last holiday sale I discovered Copy Kitty and it was one of my favorite games of the last year.