• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Marvel's Captain Marvel has two Captain Marvels in it no less (maybe three?)

That's too many Captain Marvels. Discuss.

Link

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
When can we expect "Captain Marvel Too: 2 Many Captain Marvels"?

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I think DC captain Marvel is only going to be known as Shazam.

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017
I hope the makers of the Shazam put a Captain Marvel joke in their somewhere...Probably wouldn't even have to break the 4th wall.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
I'd be more excited for shazaam if dc were working with a functioning universe/plan. Hard to get invested in the movie when everything about it can change after release.

Deleted member 1656

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So-Cal
Well, that's part of why he's called Shazam now and that's still kind of dumb.
Didn't like that change in the comics. He'll always be captain marvel to me. I think it's something to do with all the weird licensing issues that have always been there.
Plus the cinematic boom of Marvel Comics, unpopularity of the character, and DC's longtime branding of the character through the title "Shazam!' due to those issues.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
image.png

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017
Korath dies in GotG at being run out of the Kree Empire by Captain Marvel only to reincarnated as the Wizard Shazam who gives his power to ... Captain Marvel!
images

shazam-wizard-1124293.jpeg

I wish I had a better shot of the Wizard Shazam.

LukeOP

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sadly.

Didn't like that change in the comics. He'll always be captain marvel to me. I think it's something to do with all the weird licensing issues that have always been there.

Blame DC for suring Fawcetts comics, the creator of Captain Marvel. DC sued them due to the similarities with Superman. After the DC won the lawsuit, Marvel then trademarked the Captain Marvel name before DC was "kind" enough to license the usage of Captain Marvel to Fawcett some decades later. But they couldn't use the Captain Marvel name so they called it Shazam.

That's how we got into this confusing mess.

OP
OP
BWoog

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Korvath dies in GotG at being run out of the Kree Empire by Captain Marvel only to reincarnated as the Wizard Shazam who gives his power to ... Captain Marvel!
images

shazam-wizard-1124293.jpeg

I wish I had a better shot of the Wizard Shazam.

Holy shit, I totally didn't catch that he's in both movies.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'd be more excited for shazaam if dc were working with a functioning universe/plan. Hard to get invested in the movie when everything about it can change after release.

I haven't really paid attention to the movie, cause I don't care about the character and can't stand the actor. But, I assumed it was pretty standalone? Are there any actual connections to the DCEU?

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
Only comics nerds and MKvsDC fans care about Shazam being called Captain Marvel. He's Shazam to everyone else.

VentusGallius

Oct 25, 2017
I thought he was still called Captain Marvel in the comic but the title of the comic changed. How the hell does he introduce himself without depowering?

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still upset legal BS made "Shazam" fall from grace. I'm totally fine with the rebranding, but it sucks he fell out of the public consciousness.

A reminder that Shazam/C.M. was once more popular than Batman and Superman, had his own tv series, and even Elvis's famous hair style was ripped off Captain Marvel Jr.

It had a huge cultural impact, but then just...magically vanished

deadman322

Oct 29, 2017
shazam and captain marvel are two seperate characters.
the real dc captain marvel if off on earth 5 with his twin sister, weird uncle and talking tiger friend.

Burai

Oct 27, 2017

I'm excited, simply because (right now) there is no cinematic universe for this to be crowbarred into. I got bored of comic crossover events, needing to buy books I don't give a shit about just to keep up with the story. I'm fed up with needing to watch five other movies just so I can understand what's going on in the Avengers.

I want great movies that stand alone without them needing to be part of something bigger. I don't need this to dovetail into a Justice League movie.