• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

chuckddd

Oct 25, 2017
The Pats are favored by 1 point at home against the Steelers. Billycheat vs Keith Butler is like a chess match featuring Gary Kasparov vs a 3 week old kitten. Bet everything you own on the Trumps.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
0LbiPuT.jpg

Spectacular. Fuck the Patriots.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
The Pats are favored by 1 point at home against the Steelers. Billycheat vs Keith Butler is like a chess match featuring Gary Kasparov vs a 3 week old kitten. Bet everything you own on the Trumps.

I wish they were at home, but unfortunately the game is in Pittsburgh which makes me a little more nervous.

Tamanon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jags have a good shot at a top 5 pick, and thus a decent QB prospect. Here's hoping they don't fuck it up.

squicken

Oct 27, 2017
Great OP. I'm saddened we as a nation have become inured to fraudulent Seahawks home games, and Russ Wilson skating on performances below the Cousins-Prescott Line

Son Goku

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Oh Steelers you really should have played Ben throughout the second half. Odds are you won't be in the playoffs now. Ravens better lose to the chargers and hopefully the rams lose again so the saints won't have anything to play for

They have lost 3 games in a row they shouldn't have in incredibly unique and flukey ways. At least I can blame the chargers loss on refs

effzee

Oct 26, 2017
NJ
The #Eagles should absolutely bring back DeFilippo. Doesn't have to be as OC. But get him back in the building to keep coaching up Wentz.https://t.co/lQuTCCfvCl
— Eliot Shorr-Parks (@EliotShorrParks) December 11, 2018

ESP is so fucking right. Hire him today Doug please.

Not sure what to make of him. Before the Eagles season last year, he wasn't a known hot shot QB guru. He has had stints everywhere and nothing to really show for it. Last year happens, he gets a chance to be OC, but can't make it work with Zimmer. Is It Zimmer who also couldn't work with Norv Turner? Is it the philosophy and style he wants to win with but doesn't mesh with modern day football?

Also, read an excellent article about how when John DeFilioppo left, the Eagles weren't exactly sad to see him go. Said he was all about becoming a HC and marketing himself, which is similar to the complaints out of Minn. Apparently he wanted to ask Lurie/Pederson to offer him the OC position here in Philly and to get a raise, even though OC is a glorified title in Philly since Doug calls the plays. The Eagles didn't and he took the Minn job and many in the building were ok with it.

I am of the opinion that of course, he helped. So did Reich. But we just don't know who did what or to what degree. I think the struggles this year are primarily due to the injuries, the guys coming back from them (Wentz especially), and the lack of quality depth this year compared to last. Can't give all the credit to everyone around Doug for last season. He runs the offense.

Again I know injuries happen to everyone and of the top teams like ATL were decimated almost right away, but I don't think I have ever experienced an Eagles season (2 in a row actually) where I have seen so many injuries. This doesn't even account for the guys who didn't go on IR but missed significant portions of the season due to injuries. This is the primary reason I think the team is where it's at. No continuity, guys in and out, guys coming off of serious injuries, and others going back on season-ending injuries.

I don't even know how they fix it. I don't buy that the medical staff isn't up to snuff. They kept a lot, if not all, of Chip's sports science program. Its just amazing how many guys are out.

Hindl

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure what to make of him. Before the Eagles season last year, he wasn't a known hot shot QB guru. He has had stints everywhere and nothing to really show for it. Last year happens, he gets a chance to be OC, but can't make it work with Zimmer. Is It Zimmer who also couldn't work with Norv Turner? Is it the philosophy and style he wants to win with but doesn't mesh with modern day football?

Also, read an excellent article about how when John DeFilioppo left, the Eagles weren't exactly sad to see him go. Said he was all about becoming a HC and marketing himself, which is similar to the complaints out of Minn. Apparently he wanted to ask Lurie/Pederson to offer him the OC position here in Philly and to get a raise, even though OC is a glorified title in Philly since Doug calls the plays. The Eagles didn't and he took the Minn job and many in the building were ok with it.

I am of the opinion that of course, he helped. So did Reich. But we just don't know who did what or to what degree. I think the struggles this year are primarily due to the injuries, the guys coming back from them (Wentz especially), and the lack of quality depth this year compared to last. Can't give all the credit to everyone around Doug for last season. He runs the offense.

Again I know injuries happen to everyone and of the top teams like ATL were decimated almost right away, but I don't think I have ever experienced an Eagles season (2 in a row actually) where I have seen so many injuries. This doesn't even account for the guys who didn't go on IR but missed significant portions of the season due to injuries. This is the primary reason I think the team is where it's at. No continuity, guys in and out, guys coming off of serious injuries, and others going back on season-ending injuries.

I don't even know how they fix it. I don't buy that the medical staff isn't up to snuff. They kept a lot, if not all, of Chip's sports science program. Its just amazing how many guys are out.
Well for Flip, he did have decent success with QBs as a QB coach, most notably getting the one half decent year out of JFF while he was with the Browns. And Wentz' mechanics and jump from year 1 to year 2 was obviously noticeable, as well as his subsequent regression this season with a new QB coach. From what I've read Flip is extremely detail oriented, and I think that's important for a young QB to constantly hammer them on fundamentals when they start breaking down in the middle of the season. As for Zim, this is I think his 4th OC in 5 seasons, and the second one to be dismissed midseason? I think Flip has some partial blame, but it's not like there hasn't been a history there before.

As for that article about him leaving, I'd like to read it if you have it on hand. And I definitely believe he wants to market himself and eventually become a HC. But I dunno about that timing, he wanted the OC job but at the time Reich was still there, so of course they weren't gonna promote him. I think if they lost Reich immediately and had a vacant OC spot they would've promoted Flip. He's definitely gonna be auditioning for a HC role if he comes back, but from last year Doug said he would let Reich and Flip call situational playcalls, I think Reich had 3rd down and 2 min and Flip had redzone, and we've seen big regression in both. Plus, again, I think Flip would hammer Carson on the fundamentals and rebuild his mechanics better after his injury than Press Taylor has.

As for the injury, I think the offense definitely shoulders some blame. If you look at the players who have been injured or on IR, it's almost all been the defense. I get why people are critical of Schwartz, he's incredibly stubborn and refuses to change his scheme. But he's also been dealing with so many injuries, and that unit is still respectable. On offense, the major injuries have been to the deep threat WR and our RBs, which does suck, but we still have one TE that's among the best in football, a rookie TE that has shown a lot of potential, a WR that's great at 1 on 1s, and 2 great slot receivers. That should be enough to get more going than what they have. I know Alshon and Carson didn't have any time in the offseason to gel with the rest of the offense, but still. They get a bit of a pass, but it always seems like they are shit to start the game and get it together at the end. At some point that's gameplanning and doesn't have to do with injuries.

And one more thing regarding the injuries. This past offseason, a lot of the medical staff left for other jobs, so they don't have a lot of Chip's staff on board anymore. That could be explaining the increase in injuries we've been seeing

this_guy

Oct 26, 2017
Everyone excited for this Saturday Texans vs Jets!? Neither am I, but I'll probably still watch.

effzee

Oct 26, 2017
NJ
Well for Flip, he did have decent success with QBs as a QB coach, most notably getting the one half decent year out of JFF while he was with the Browns. And Wentz' mechanics and jump from year 1 to year 2 was obviously noticeable, as well as his subsequent regression this season with a new QB coach. From what I've read Flip is extremely detail oriented, and I think that's important for a young QB to constantly hammer them on fundamentals when they start breaking down in the middle of the season. As for Zim, this is I think his 4th OC in 5 seasons, and the second one to be dismissed midseason? I think Flip has some partial blame, but it's not like there hasn't been a history there before.

As for that article about him leaving, I'd like to read it if you have it on hand. And I definitely believe he wants to market himself and eventually become a HC. But I dunno about that timing, he wanted the OC job but at the time Reich was still there, so of course they weren't gonna promote him. I think if they lost Reich immediately and had a vacant OC spot they would've promoted Flip. He's definitely gonna be auditioning for a HC role if he comes back, but from last year Doug said he would let Reich and Flip call situational playcalls, I think Reich had 3rd down and 2 min and Flip had redzone, and we've seen big regression in both. Plus, again, I think Flip would hammer Carson on the fundamentals and rebuild his mechanics better after his injury than Press Taylor has.

As for the injury, I think the offense definitely shoulders some blame. If you look at the players who have been injured or on IR, it's almost all been the defense. I get why people are critical of Schwartz, he's incredibly stubborn and refuses to change his scheme. But he's also been dealing with so many injuries, and that unit is still respectable. On offense, the major injuries have been to the deep threat WR and our RBs, which does suck, but we still have one TE that's among the best in football, a rookie TE that has shown a lot of potential, a WR that's great at 1 on 1s, and 2 great slot receivers. That should be enough to get more going than what they have. I know Alshon and Carson didn't have any time in the offseason to gel with the rest of the offense, but still. They get a bit of a pass, but it always seems like they are shit to start the game and get it together at the end. At some point that's gameplanning and doesn't have to do with injuries.

And one more thing regarding the injuries. This past offseason, a lot of the medical staff left for other jobs, so they don't have a lot of Chip's staff on board anymore. That could be explaining the increase in injuries we've been seeing

Here is the article, by Marcus Hayes:
http://www2.philly.com/eagles/john-...mike-groh-20181211.html?__vfz=medium=sharebar

Doug just came out and said in his PC that they aren't bringing him back. Also said Wentz has back spasms - wonder if they are planning to sit him for the final games.

As for the other points, yeah the injuries are mainly on defense and considering the severity they have held up well. But whenever they have played well (mostly first halves) the offense has been asleep. By the time the offense gets going, the D is exhausted and can't get off the field. The whole team, all the units, just haven't been on the same page all year.

Also while you are right that Carson's mechanics from yr 1 to 2 were greatly improved, keep in mind this offseason he primarily was focused on rehab. I expect much better play from him next season.

yankeeh8er

Oct 26, 2017
Dracula Georgia
Rams opened as 10 point favorites. I wonder how often the defending super bowl champs have been double digit underdogs before?

Edit: Holy fuck Wentz might be out. This is such a fucking disaster. Rams D is going to destroy Foles. Eagles lose by 30.

Last edited:

yankeeh8er

Oct 26, 2017
Dracula Georgia
If I had money I would run to a sports book right now and put everything on the Rams to cover that line. Foles looked bad at the start of the season when the Eagles OL and RBs were healthy, he is going to look terrible now. This is going to be like a 43-6 type game.

papertowel

Nov 6, 2017
Wentz has been having back problems all season. Been on the injury report multipe times and missed some practices. Wonder if they just shut him down now that the season is almost certaintly over. Don't want him spending another offseason rehabbing an injury.

TheeFanatic

Oct 26, 2017

Striker

Oct 25, 2017
Bad timing to be playing your team. I would of been more confident about our chances a month ago. Barkley's been beasting every game and our run defense is very suspect.
It's a test for this team playing another who has a clear shot at the playoffs. Bears game was nice but they'll need to duplicate that.

Keeps Mariota from looking like Steve McNair.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
Mark Davis said a while ago that Oakland bringing a lawsuit was the end of the Raiders in Oakland, so that's not a surprise
He had actually softened his stance on that about a month ago:

He softened his stance last month, though, saying, "I personally want to play in Oakland. I absolutely want to play in Oakland. We have a completed lease sitting with the city council, that all they have to do is agree to it and we're here next year."

"Emotionally, I would say, why would I give them $3 [million], $4 [million], $5 million in rent that they're going to turn around and use to sue me?" Davis had continued. "But at the same time, if they'll have us, I can't turn on the fans. I can't do it. And this is terrible negotiating I'm doing now. I'm going to get killed. But that's just the way I am. But if in fact it does get ugly, and can't be bridged, we do have options."
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...vis-calls-oakland-lawsuit-meritless-malicious

But now that the lawsuit is actually a reality, I imagine that's changed.

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
Go Colts. This Sunday's game against the Cowboys is going to be tough. Either team can win, and the key is containing Cooper and Zeke. Not sure the Colts win, since the Cowboys D is good and they've been playing well recently. Of course, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Colts D turn Dak into a HoF QB.

Also, the Colts should hire DeFilippo. They're in need of a QB coach.

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Big dick nick going to upset the rams giving the saints more of a lead for the 1 seed. #Believe

Tamanon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thus far only Oakland might want a QB ahead of the Jags. We shall see what develops.

effzee

Oct 26, 2017
NJ
Wentz has been having back problems all season. Been on the injury report multipe times and missed some practices. Wonder if they just shut him down now that the season is almost certaintly over. Don't want him spending another offseason rehabbing an injury.

This would make sense if/when they lose to the Rams. Unless he hurt it much further this past weekend, doesn't make sense to rest him now when mathematically they still have a chance at the playoffs, even at the wild card spot.

I think its more likely that he has more pain and spasms now than he did the past few weeks. I don't think they sit him just to sit him.

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't he play all 16 games his rookie season?

He does need to adjust his style cause he takes tons of hits but I'll hold off on calling him injury prone.
Wentz is looking like he's going to be a Big Ben type player where you are just going to have to live with them missing a game or 2 each year.